IDERA ER/Studio OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IDERA ER/Studio is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Database Development and Management tools. It is most often compared to erwin Evolve: IDERA ER/Studio vs erwin Evolve

What is IDERA ER/Studio?

IDERA ER/Studio is a powerful suite for business-driven data modeling that enables companies to create an enterprise architecture foundation for data governance. With round-trip support for multiple database platforms, data architects have the power to reverse-engineer, analyze, and optimize existing databases easily from diverse platforms. Data professionals can easily capture and share models, metadata, data sources, and glossaries across the organization for improved alignment between the organization and Information Technology. Organizational stakeholders can take part in the metadata definition workflow and access information on models and metadata at the right level for their needs.

Unlike its competition, it provides the broadest range of data platform support, industry-leading enterprise-level capabilities, visual data lineage and flow modeling, full dimensional modeling for data warehousing and business intelligence, and business data objects to bridge the gap between developers and data architects. It also provides a complete solution for enterprise architecture and data governance, extensive model change management, unique incorporation of true enterprise data dictionaries, unique linking of constructs across models, integrated visual data lineage import, and integrated data and business process modeling.

IDERA ER/Studio is also known as IDERA ER Studio, ER/Studio, ER/Studio Enterprise Team Edition.

Download the Architecture Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

IDERA ER/Studio Customers

Newmont Mining, Entrust, Accolade, TalkTalk, Catalina, Protective Life, NTT Data, dir systèmes, Microsoft; American Express, Astellas Pharma, AstraZeneca, Coriant, Fedex, GlaxoSmithKline, PepsiCo, Prudential, Wells Fargo

IDERA ER/Studio Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IDERA ER/Studio pricing:
  • "The price of this product is okay."
  • "I am currently using the trial version, but this solution is definitely worth considering for the price point."

IDERA ER/Studio Reviews

SV
Sr Data Integration Modeler at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scales easily and the support is good, but the performance for large models should be improved

• "Using this product has improved the way we maintain our models because they have a place where we can keep all of them, and they can be viewed using the web interface."
  • "The model diagram because very clumsy when you save it on the team server and the models are very big."

What is our primary use case?

We maintain all of our enterprise models within ER Studio. This includes our data marts and our local systems. We have multiple people who use the web interface to look at the models.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this product has improved the way we maintain our models because they have a place where we can keep all of them, and they can be viewed using the web interface. Essentially, it has helped a lot because we have everything in one place

What is most valuable?

The feature that we like best is the model publishing.

The web interface allows everybody to view models that are stored on the team server.

What needs improvement?

The model diagram because very clumsy when you save it on the team server and the models are very big. It becomes difficult to enlarge and difficult to print.

Although they say that it supports concurrent users, we have issues while branching, merging, and performing check-in or check-out. It's not as seamless as it should be.

Now that we are all working from home and our repository is on the cloud servers, we are experiencing issues with performance.

In general, support for big data should be improved.

I have been using this product for the last three to four years.

I would say that it is 70% stable, with the remaining 30% having room for it to be more stable.

It is scalable, given that we are on the cloud. We are able to scale it up whenever we need, especially with the team server, without any issues.

We have at least 50 users who are actively working on models and using the web interface. We also have at least 30 different users who log in and look at our models, as guests. We haven't added them as users within the repository because they don't need access to it. Rather, they just use the web interface to see the models. These users intermittently come in, perhaps once or twice a week, instead of on a daily basis.

The technical support people are pretty good and I would rate them a nine out of ten. Whatever the tool is capable of, they are able to let us know about it.

Prior to IDERA, we were using erwin. We switched for several reasons, starting with the fact that we did not find the erwin web interface allowed us to see the models as well. The team server in IDERA is better and erwin did not have a very good method available for working with models concurrently between multiple users. Overall, we found that ER Studio is much better.

Initially, when we started with the 2016 version, we found that there was a learning curve but ER Studio support helped us with it. The 2018 version upgrade was very quick and nice. The 2017 version took longer than the 2018 upgrade, although it was fine.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering ER Studio is to look at the size of their models. If they have very large models then it may not be suitable because we are having performance issues in this case. On the other hand, if they have midsized models then I think it is pretty good.

Overall, this product is pretty good. It can certainly be better but it still has features that are quite good.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
DF
Data Architect at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Semantic data lineage and usability need to be improved, but it's priced well

• "It does the job."
  • "What needs the most improvement are semantic lineage and usability."

What is our primary use case?

I have experience working with various data architecture tools, and ER/Studio is one of them that I use in this capacity. We use it either to help an organization understand what data it has got or to design a database.

What is most valuable?

It does the job. However, it doesn't work as well as other solutions.

What needs improvement?

What needs the most improvement are semantic lineage and usability.

I began working with IDERA ER/Studio approximately eight years ago, and have about three years of experience with it.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

I have experience working with SAP PowerDesigner and erwin.

It is on par with erwin, although I think that I prefer erwin. It is nowhere close to SAP PowerDesigner.

To this point, I've only set up trial versions, and I've not set up or installed it for an enterprise.

However, I'm probably going to be doing that in the next two, three weeks.

The price of this product is okay.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is to understand what your requirements are of the system, of whatever tool you're going to select. There are loads of people and organizations that have bought this product and used it, and that's dependent upon their requirements, their needs.

Plenty of others have bought SAP PowerDesigner. Personally, and I'm self-employed, or a freelance contractor, I invested more money and decided on SAP Power Designer.

Overall, I don't like any of the features and I think that it's a poor system.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about IDERA, erwin, Inc., SAP and others in Architecture Management. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FD
Data Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Simple to use and reasonably priced, but it needs support for creating and using macros

• "The interface is really simple to use and it allows me to pick and choose which tables I want to reverse engineer."
  • "The visual presentation is a little too colorful and seems that it is dumbed down."

What is our primary use case?

I am primarily using this solution for reverse engineering and database comparisons.

What is most valuable?

The interface is really simple to use and it allows me to pick and choose which tables I want to reverse engineer.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see support for creating macros in the way that erwin can.

It did not reverse engineer all of the data types correctly, although it was pretty close. The only mistake was with some Oracle table objects, where it incorrectly determined them to be character references.

I have been using the trial edition of IDERA ER Studio for about a month.

I am using ER Studio on a daily basis I think that is very stable. It reverse-engineered a large number of tables all at once, without any problems.

It seems that there would not have to be much for me to do if I wanted to expand my usage. I am the only person in the company using it at this time.

The initial setup is very straightforward and the deployment took less than an hour.

I deployed this solution, myself, and no additional staff is required for maintenance.

I am in the process of comparing this product to erwin and SAP PowerDesigner.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free Architecture Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about IDERA, erwin, Inc., SAP, and more!