IDERA ER/Studio Overview

IDERA ER/Studio is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Database Development and Management tools. It is most often compared to erwin Evolve: IDERA ER/Studio vs erwin Evolve

What is IDERA ER/Studio?

IDERA ER/Studio is a powerful suite for business-driven data modeling that enables companies to create an enterprise architecture foundation for data governance. With round-trip support for multiple database platforms, data architects have the power to reverse-engineer, analyze, and optimize existing databases easily from diverse platforms. Data professionals can easily capture and share models, metadata, data sources, and glossaries across the organization for improved alignment between the organization and Information Technology. Organizational stakeholders can take part in the metadata definition workflow and access information on models and metadata at the right level for their needs.

Unlike its competition, it provides the broadest range of data platform support, industry-leading enterprise-level capabilities, visual data lineage and flow modeling, full dimensional modeling for data warehousing and business intelligence, and business data objects to bridge the gap between developers and data architects. It also provides a complete solution for enterprise architecture and data governance, extensive model change management, unique incorporation of true enterprise data dictionaries, unique linking of constructs across models, integrated visual data lineage import, and integrated data and business process modeling.

IDERA ER/Studio is also known as IDERA ER Studio, ER/Studio, ER/Studio Enterprise Team Edition.

Download the Architecture Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

IDERA ER/Studio Customers

Newmont Mining, Entrust, Accolade, TalkTalk, Catalina, Protective Life, NTT Data, dir systèmes, Microsoft; American Express, Astellas Pharma, AstraZeneca, Coriant, Fedex, GlaxoSmithKline, PepsiCo, Prudential, Wells Fargo

IDERA ER/Studio Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IDERA ER/Studio pricing:
  • "The price of this product is okay."
  • "I am currently using the trial version, but this solution is definitely worth considering for the price point."

SV
Sr Data Integration Modeler at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scales easily and the support is good, but the performance for large models should be improved

What is our primary use case?

We maintain all of our enterprise models within ER Studio. This includes our data marts and our local systems. We have multiple people who use the web interface to look at the models.

• "Using this product has improved the way we maintain our models because they have a place where we can keep all of them, and they can be viewed using the web interface."
  • "The model diagram because very clumsy when you save it on the team server and the models are very big."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering ER Studio is to look at the size of their models. If they have very large models then it may not be suitable because we are having performance issues in this case. On the other hand, if they have midsized models then I think it is pretty good. Overall, this product is pretty good. It can certainly be better but it still has features that are quite good. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
DF
Data Architect at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Semantic data lineage and usability need to be improved, but it's priced well

What is our primary use case?

I have experience working with various data architecture tools, and ER/Studio is one of them that I use in this capacity. We use it either to help an organization understand what data it has got or to design a database.

• "It does the job."
  • "What needs the most improvement are semantic lineage and usability."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is to understand what your requirements are of the system, of whatever tool you're going to select. There are loads of people and organizations that have bought this product and used it, and that's dependent upon their requirements, their needs. Plenty of others have bought SAP PowerDesigner. Personally, and I'm self-employed, or a freelance contractor, I invested more money and decided on SAP Power Designer. Overall, I don't like any of the features and I think that it's a poor system. I would rate this solution a five out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about IDERA, erwin, Inc., SAP and others in Architecture Management. Updated: May 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FD
Data Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Simple to use and reasonably priced, but it needs support for creating and using macros

What is our primary use case?

I am primarily using this solution for reverse engineering and database comparisons.

• "The interface is really simple to use and it allows me to pick and choose which tables I want to reverse engineer."
  • "The visual presentation is a little too colorful and seems that it is dumbed down."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.