IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server Overview

IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Event Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to Redgate SQL Toolbelt: IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server vs Redgate SQL Toolbelt

What is IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server?

SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server helps database administrators to find and fix SQL Server performance problems in physical, virtual, and cloud environments. Unlike its competition, it provides effective scalability, advanced SQL query analysis and optimization, prescriptive analysis with corrective SQL scripts, powerful automated alert responses, broad PowerShell integration, complete customization, and extensive support for current and legacy SQL Server and Windows.

IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server is also known as IDERA SQL DM, IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager .

Download the Database Development and Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server Customers

Padnos, University of Notre Dame, D4, Infeon Technologies, Chevron, LC Waikiki, Sisters of Saint Francis Health Services, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, CVE, Colorado State University, St. Charles, Chaucer PLC, 1-800-Flowers, Ancoris, Money Management, National Opinion Research Center, California Department of Health, Plexus; Aviva, Burlington Northern Santa Fe, CBS, Comcast, Google, Merck, Regions Financial, Schneider Electric, Tata Consultancy Services, Verizon Communications, Zurich Financial Services

IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

JS
Senior DBA Lead at a government with 10,001+ employees
Proactively alerts us on a wide variety of issues, but it has not scaled out well with our large environment

What is our primary use case?

We use it to look at the overarching environment and, from there, we're able to pick and choose which servers and databases we want to view more closely. We manage over 300 servers, and 14,000 databases. We're constantly in the tool, utilizing it to drill down and determine what is going on with a specific database and query, or cache, etc.

• "We're able to diagnose issues prior to their actually becoming issues. Without the alerting, we wouldn't have a clue as to what was going to happen. With the alerting, it gives us a heads-up that a specific threshold has been met, and we need to take specific action."
  • "I'm going to do an upgrade which may resolve my issues, but one area for improvement is its ability to handle the amount of data that we collect with it. We're likely one of the largest installations, with over 300 servers being collected with this product, and sometimes there are gaps. That would really be my only concern, in terms of how the data is collected and stored, for consistency."

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate your different options and choose what you think is the best fit. Every one has its pros and cons. I always equate software to my experience - and I'm dating myself - back in the 80s, with radar detectors for cars. The radar detector companies would come out with a product that would pick up radar much better, so you wouldn't get stopped for speeding, and then one would come out with something better, and it would just go back and forth. It's the same thing with databases. Ultimately, you pick a platform, be it Oracle or SQL or whatever, you stick with it and go with it. You…
MB
Senior Manager, Data Operations at a consumer goods company with 201-500 employees
Allows us to respond quickly to any database issues, but does not handle performance-tweaking well

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is monitoring. We use the solution to get an overview of our entire environment and then drill down to view details. We look for issues that have happened in the past, that have been reported by users. We can then see what was going on, on the server, at that time, to cause such issues. The only people who are using it are eight DBAs. We did increase usage for lower environments rather than just production environments.

• "The most valuable features are disk space projections for planning, and also the Snapshotting ability, to look back in time, to see what was going on the server at a particular time. It's basically the output of an sp_who2."
  • "We don't find that it helps us with performance monitoring and diagnostics. We find that SentryOne does that better. Also, in terms of alerts, we had to customize them dramatically so that we didn't get alerted on every little thing."
  • "I would absolutely love to create customized dashboards but, unfortunately, they don't provide me the information that I need to create the report. The report I need is the detail or the transaction detail that's happening on those Snapshots. I'd like to be able to go back through time and search for things. I don't have that functionality, which is very disappointing. That's pretty bad and frustrating because I could query it and find out so much information about what's hitting my environment and when, but instead, they want control over it and to not give me that information. So it's encrypted. I can't pull it out and that is really bothersome."
  • "The initial setup gives too many user rights to the server, so you have to put a user that is part administrator's group - that's the preferred way - on each server, which is kind of a risk. You want to do least privilege and you're not doing that."

What other advice do I have?

Work on configuration and take the time to configure alerts. I rate it at seven out of ten because it does not handle performance-tweaking that well, but it does a good job on monitoring.
Find out what your peers are saying about IDERA, SolarWinds, Redgate and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: June 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.
LP
Senior DBA with 10,001+ employees
Helps us proactively diagnose issues in our system

What is our primary use case?

We use it to look at performance.

What other advice do I have?

If possible do training, or work with the tech support to make sure that you have considered everything and see what the product does before you try it on your own. Doing that would be very helpful and will save time and will help you get the best out of the product. I would rate it at eight out of 10. There are a couple of good features but it's not really intuitive and easy to use. Overall, the product is pretty good, just a little bit less user-friendly than I would like.
Database Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees

What is our primary use case?

We use SQL DM to monitor and alert on our mission critical instances in real-time on a 24/7 basis. SQL DM was also used to troubleshoot deadlocks, blocking, and slow query performance helping in faster resolution and consistent uptime.

• "The best part of SQL DM is the ability to customize alerts and counters. This allows our team to find an issue then alert on the issue at a granular level."
  • "SQL DM made troubleshooting much easier and allowed multiple people to look into an issue with confidence."
  • "Monitors and alerts on our mission critical instances in real-time on a 24/7 basis."
  • "It would helpful if SQL DM could mark when changes are made within the program."
Cloud Database Administrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Provides alert customization. No deployment issues.​
IT - Server Administration with 501-1,000 employees
The capability to baseline the environment and define thresholds for alerting is definitely the most valuable feature in my opinion.
it_user177303
Database Architect at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Overall analysis of data gathered from SQL Server needs work but it is easy to perform issue investigations

What is most valuable?

Ability to identify bottlenecks, deadlocks and slow running queries and run monthly and daily reports.

How has it helped my organization?

It was easier for DBA team to perform issue investigations, slowness of the servers and failures.

What needs improvement?

Reporting and overall analysis of data gathered from SQL Server.

One year.

Minor. When we migrated to the new server, we had to call the company to transfer the license as their license is issued per server name which had changed..

No issues encountered.

What do I think about the