IIS Overview

IIS is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Application Server tools. It is most often compared to NGINX Plus: IIS vs NGINX Plus

What is IIS?
Internet Information Services (IIS) provides a secure, easy-to-manage, modular and extensible platform for reliably hosting websites, services and applications. With IIS, you get choice and control without giving up reliability or security.

IIS is also known as Windows Server IIS.

IIS Buyer's Guide

Download the IIS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

IIS Customers
Erste Bank Group, NJVC, Samsung Electronics, Sheraton Hotels and Resorts, Tata Steel Europe, Urban Software Institute
IIS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IIS pricing:
  • "This solution comes included with Windows Server."

IIS Reviews

reviewer1314561
Senior Administrator - Windows at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Aug 16, 2020
The interface, simplicity, and ease of management lend flexibility to this configurable solution

What is our primary use case?

We are basically using IIS like people use SharePoint. Technically IIS is a configurable web server. SharePoint is meant to be a collaborative tool. We configured IIS to be a collaborative tool of our own design.

• "The interface, simplicity, and ease of management are all good features that make this user-friendly."
  • "Scalability issues and security concerns need attention from Microsoft."

What other advice do I have?

Recent versions, especially IIS 10, are very stable. For the stability I highly recommend IIS. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate IIS as an eight-out-of-ten.
reviewer1153596
Senior System Administrator at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 30, 2019
A stable solution for our customer's websites or internal applications

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that we assist our customers with. Our customers are primarily government departments, agencies, and ministries. These organizations are not very comfortable with using the cloud, so the majority of deployments are on-premises. This solution is used for the customer's website or internal applications.

• "This is definitely a stable solution."
  • "The areas of this solution that need improvement are monitoring, debugging, and troubleshooting."

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I can recommend. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about IIS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
464,369 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Budhi-Soeprijanto
Geospatial Services Systems Administrator at EDIC Bayanat
Oct 29, 2019
Easy to use GUI, but support for clustering needs to be included in this solution

What is our primary use case?

We have a GIS solution from ESRI, ArcGIS Web Adaptor, and it is installed on top of IIS. It's part of ArcGIS Enterprise solution.

• "The graphical user interface makes it easy for users to configure the sites."
  • "This solution needs to be easier for cases where you want to have an IIS cluster."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to go ahead with it. This is a mature product that is suitable for production environment. It competes with the Linux-based web server, which has more features. However, Microsoft is becoming more friendly with the open-source community, so hopefully they will implement more advanced features inside IIS. It seems to me that Microsoft has been evolving the product with one of the main goals to be ease of use. However, I think that they need to focus on handling the biggest load. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Abdul Wahab Khan
Project Manager at Softronic Systems
Feb 9, 2021
Simple and user-friendly interface, good integration, and easy to implement

What is our primary use case?

I am working as a Software Project Manager for a software company in their Pharma Services Division and using IIS on Microsoft Windows Server for local deployment of our pharma related .NET application. It is built in C# and used for uploading and validation of pharma-related information in a locally deployed application by a team of data associates and data analysts. The information is then transported after validation to the web database on Azure from the local database using an internally-developed desktop application.

• "IIS has a very simple and user-friendly interface, which helps a lot in effective and efficient management."
  • "Having no support for other than a Microsoft environment and programming languages limits the usage of IIS in many cases."
Mesfin-Teshome
ICT Manager at Africa International University
Dec 9, 2019
Easy to use, integrates will with Microsoft well, and offers a simple initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for application infrastructure.

• "The solution integrates well with most Microsoft products."
  • "If Microsoft IIS could work well with AppOptics or things like PHP, Python, and other custom languages that run on the webserver, it would be ideal. I think there are cases where people need to use Apache instead of IIS when IIS doesn't work well with other web languages."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. I'd recommend IIS for almost everything. I would suggest using use case scenarios. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
Devopsavm67
DevOps at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Sep 6, 2019
A stable, somewhat scalable solution that needs lots of training when elements are upgraded

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a publishing website.

• "The solution is the easiest way to publish applications which have been designed by older development tools."
  • "The scalability depends on how you have set it up. If you're running IIS on a single server, it might not be as capable as if you are on many in a cluster or with load balancing and so on."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. The solution is stable, it is working, and you can do a lot with this, but it is not my favorite product. I would prefer to use something that was open-source instead. I would rate it seven out of ten.
reviewer1268013
Field Engineer & Lead Implementation SLA
Jan 20, 2020
Scalable and easy to set up but cold improve its technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the internet and opening applications. We use it, for example, to access Outlook on the web. We use it for a variety of Microsoft applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable. The solution is very simple and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The level of technical support the solution offers could be improved.

I've been using the solution for one to two years.

The solution is stable, but they could improve on it a bit.

It's easy to scale the solution. We have about 200 users using it currently.

How are customer service and technical

reviewer1015428
Data Platform Manager at a consumer goods company with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 16, 2020
Built into Windows and has a good interface

What is our primary use case?

We use this program as application server.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about this program, is the fact that it's built into Windows, and then I also like the interface and the support.

What needs improvement?

I haven't yet come across anything that needs to improve. Perhaps the installation process can be simplified.

I have been using IIS for ten, twelve years now.

The stability is okay. It's fairly enterprise-grade and robust for enterprise use.

The program is scalable. We have between 50 and 100 users.

Microsoft's technical…
See 4 more IIS Reviews
Download our free IIS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.