IIS Reviews

Filter by:Reset all filters
industry
rating
Senior System Administrator at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 30 2019

What needs improvement?

The areas of this solution that need improvement are monitoring, debugging, and troubleshooting. Having the monitoring as standard on the user interface would be nice. There needs to be an easy way to escalate technical support issues beyond level one, quickly.

In addition to this solution, we have worked with Apache Tomcat for Linux. The choice of solution is dictated by the customer's requirements. If it is a Java application then we need to use Tomcat or Apache. If it's a .NET application in use then you need to use the IIS. It isn't a personal choice, or whether one is better than the other. Rather, it is about the application.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I can recommend. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Budhi-Soeprijanto
Geospatial Services Systems Administrator at EDIC Bayanat
Oct 29 2019

What is most valuable?

The graphical user interface makes it easy for users to configure the sites.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs to be easier for cases where you want to have an IIS cluster. If you have several IIS solutions running, it is not clear on how to make them communicate to each other. Normally, IIS Web Server run independently on each server. To have "IIS cluster", currently you need to have a… more»

This solution comes included with Windows Server.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to go ahead with it. This is a mature product that is suitable for production environment. It competes with the Linux-based web server, which has more features. However, Microsoft is becoming more friendly with the open-source community, so… more»
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Apache, Oracle and others in Application Server. Updated: October 2019.
377,029 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Devopsavm67
DevOps at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Sep 06 2019

What is most valuable?

The solution is the easiest way to publish applications which have been designed by older development tools.

What needs improvement?

Different parameters in this product can be a bit difficult. As soon as you introduce something new, and especially in the Microsoft environment, you always need to do new training sessions to understand what are new functionalities are. Finding the correct options are not more intuitive, and it should be.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. The solution is stable, it is working, and you can do a lot with this, but it is not my favorite product. I would prefer to use something that was open-source instead. I would rate it seven out of ten.
Gh0ce
Systems Analyst/DBA at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 21 2018

What is most valuable?

It is a lightweight web host that is easy to configure for simple webpages.

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to set up and use a Windows Server we had in place already to host our internal web page.

What needs improvement?

Finding different settings can be difficult if you don't know where to look.

It is licensed with your Windows installation which makes it relatively cheap if you already have a Windows Server sitting around.

I have tried other tools (such as Apache), and found that IIS is more stable and easier on the memory for low resource systems.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a shot. The features are included for free with Windows, so test it out. If you are unhappy, it is easy to disable and switch to a different solution.

We also evaluated Apache, but found that IIS was easier to set up for what we wanted.
DavidKurdgelaidze
Head of Department of Infrastructure Development at SDA
Oct 24 2019

What do you think of IIS?

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the database and application system. We provide information systems for public and private companies.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use, easy to maintain and isn't too technical.

What needs improvement?

The solution's security needs improvement. The solution should improve the cluster environment and load balancing.

I've been using the solution since 2006.

Occasionally we have a problem with stability.

The scalability isn't so good. We have about 2,000 internal users, but externally we may have as many as one million users. Our service is…

Articles

User Assessments By Topic About IIS

377,029 professionals have used our research since 2012.

IIS Questions

What is IIS?

Internet Information Services (IIS) provides a secure, easy-to-manage, modular and extensible platform for reliably hosting websites, services and applications. With IIS, you get choice and control without giving up reliability or security.
Also known as
Windows Server IIS
IIS customers
Erste Bank Group, NJVC, Samsung Electronics, Sheraton Hotels and Resorts, Tata Steel Europe, Urban Software Institute
BUYER'S GUIDE
Download our free Application Server Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Apache, Oracle, and more!