IIS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IIS is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Application Server tools. It is most often compared to NGINX Plus: IIS vs NGINX Plus

What is IIS?
Internet Information Services (IIS) provides a secure, easy-to-manage, modular and extensible platform for reliably hosting websites, services and applications. With IIS, you get choice and control without giving up reliability or security.

IIS is also known as Windows Server IIS.

Download the Application Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

IIS Customers
Erste Bank Group, NJVC, Samsung Electronics, Sheraton Hotels and Resorts, Tata Steel Europe, Urban Software Institute
IIS Video

Archived IIS Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user1153596
Senior System Administrator at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable solution for our customer's websites or internal applications

• "This is definitely a stable solution."
  • "The areas of this solution that need improvement are monitoring, debugging, and troubleshooting."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that we assist our customers with. Our customers are primarily government departments, agencies, and ministries. These organizations are not very comfortable with using the cloud, so the majority of deployments are on-premises.

This solution is used for the customer's website or internal applications.

What needs improvement?

The areas of this solution that need improvement are monitoring, debugging, and troubleshooting. Having the monitoring as standard on the user interface would be nice.

There needs to be an easy way to escalate technical support issues beyond level one, quickly.

I have been using this solution for more than fifteen years.

This is definitely a stable solution.

Scalability is neither here nor there. You can say it's scalable, but it's an open-ended question because you have to consider whether you can host an application or product for country-wide use. I'd like to say no, but it can be used as part of a scalable infrastructure.

We have contacted technical support, albeit rarely. I would rate them a six out of ten. It is not that they are slow to reply, but rather they are slow when it comes to understanding the problem. They often repeat the diagnostic steps that we have already performed.

The first level of support is not very good because by the time we speak with them, we are already past that point. This is because we do have experience and we can often solve the problems that are easy, or of medium-level difficulty. Consequently, if we have to open a support request then the problem is already difficult or complicated. We need to be able to escalate quickly. This is true in most cases, and the delay comes about because of the entry-level support people.

In addition to this solution, we have worked with Apache Tomcat for Linux.

The choice of solution is dictated by the customer's requirements. If it is a Java application then we need to use Tomcat or Apache. If it's a .NET application in use then you need to use the IIS. It isn't a personal choice, or whether one is better than the other. Rather, it is about the application.

The initial setup of this solution is very easy. The deployment takes between thirty minutes and two hours, maximum.

Usually, it will take one or two people to maintain this solution, including the website, if the whole infrastructure is Microsoft.

We implement and deploy this solution for our customers. We have an internal technical team for this.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I can recommend.

DevOps at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
A stable, somewhat scalable solution that needs lots of training when elements are upgraded

• "The solution is the easiest way to publish applications which have been designed by older development tools."
  • "The scalability depends on how you have set it up. If you're running IIS on a single server, it might not be as capable as if you are on many in a cluster or with load balancing and so on."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a publishing website.

What is most valuable?

The solution is the easiest way to publish applications which have been designed by older development tools.

What needs improvement?

Different parameters in this product can be a bit difficult. As soon as you introduce something new, and especially in the Microsoft environment, you always need to do new training sessions to understand what are new functionalities are. Finding the correct options are not more intuitive, and it should be.

I've been using the solution pretty much since it was first released.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability depends on how you have set it up. If you're running IIS on a single server, it might not be as capable as if you are on many in a cluster or with load balancing and so on.

We don't a contact for technical support, so I mostly have to cross my fingers and hope that nothing goes wrong.

I wasn't around for the initial setup, but I can say that we started fairly simple, and it's grown more and more complex as time has gone on.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

The solution is stable, it is working, and you can do a lot with this, but it is not my favorite product. I would prefer to use something that was open-source instead. I would rate it seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Apache, Oracle and others in Application Server. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Systems Analyst/DBA at Vecima Networks
Leaderboard
For us it's a lightweight web host that is easy to configure for simple webpages

• "It is a lightweight web host that is easy to configure for simple webpages."
  • "Finding different settings can be difficult if you don't know where to look."

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to set up and use a Windows Server we had in place already to host our internal web page.

What is most valuable?

It is a lightweight web host that is easy to configure for simple webpages.

What needs improvement?

Finding different settings can be difficult if you don't know where to look.

More than five years.

Stability seems good.

We have not needed to scale out with it, as we use it for very lightweight things.

I have not needed to contact technical support.

I have tried other tools (such as Apache), and found that IIS is more stable and easier on the memory for low resource systems.

Initial setup is straightforward for a basic setup (e.g. one host hosting HTTP traffic), but can get more complicated the more features you want to add (e.g. Windows Authentication, HTTPs, web farm, etc.).

It is licensed with your Windows installation which makes it relatively cheap if you already have a Windows Server sitting around.

We also evaluated Apache, but found that IIS was easier to set up for what we wanted.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a shot. The features are included for free with Windows, so test it out. If you are unhappy, it is easy to disable and switch to a different solution.

Solutions Architect at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
​It needs a more compact configuration, but the clustering feature is valuable.

What is most valuable?

• Clustering
  • Application isolation

What needs improvement?

It needs a more compact configuration.

I've used it for one year.

No issues encountered.

It depends on the load of the server, but we have not had an issue.

No issues encountered.

I've not used customer service.

I've not used technical support.

We switched because of the nature of the application and technology.

I always design my systems simple and keep them simple as possible.

We implemented it with in-house team. We like to keep the knowledge in-house.

It was crucial and it definitely paid off.

Keep the systems simple. Try to work with open-source solutions and pay for technical support and subscription to support the projects.

Yes, I always and regularly evaluate. In case of Java we evaluated all applications servers which support JEE full profile.

What other advice do I have?

I was using Apache Tomcat, JBoss AS (RedHat), WebMethods (Software AG) and IIS (Microsoft). All of them have they specialities, but depending on the goals and purpose it’s quiet easy to make a choice. Products based on Microsoft .NET do not give companies lot of options; either with Server Operating System shipped IIS, or the developer version called IIS Express. Applications written in Java, n opposite, can be accommodated on several fully profiled or non-fully-profiled application or web servers.

Only have one application per server if possible. Do not over complicate it, and keep the variance in the configuration simple as possible.

Senior System Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Authentication for network appliances became easy to do but the monitoring needs improvement

What is most valuable?

Easy to set-up Good to maintain

How has it helped my organization?

This made the security set-up easier and authentication simplified.

What needs improvement?

Logging Monitoring

I've used Microsoft NPS for four years.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered but always gor for two machines as one isn't enough and isn't fault redundant.

Customer Service: Haven't needed it yet. Technical Support: Haven't needed it yet.

Which solution did I use previously and

What is most valuable?

• Easy to set-up
  • Good to maintain

How has it helped my organization?

This made the security set-up easier and authentication simplified.

What needs improvement?

• Logging
  • Monitoring

I've used Microsoft NPS for four years.

Haven't needed it yet.

Haven't needed it yet.

Yes, we used RSA Radius. It was very hard to maintain and outdated.

Straightforward, it's a feature of Windows Server and a basic knowledge of the radius principles are enough.

In-house implementation.

Pretty good. Authentication for network appliances, load balancing products and wireless devices became easy to do.

It came with the Microsoft contract.

No, we were unhappy with RSA Radius so we went for the 'free' solution.

What other advice do I have?

It has many features, make sure they satisfy your needs.

Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
IIS is a reliable Web Server

Valuable Features:

IIS in windows 2003 onwards has become more secure by allowing the users to choose only the required components / features to install thereby reducing the surface area. High performance and stability by isolating worker processes, application pools. Essential for products like Exchange and SharePoint. Comes with Windows OS, no separate licenses.

Room for Improvement:

Can be difficult to set up for new users and complex to troubleshoot.

Other Advice:

IIS is a reliable and secure product, works very well along side other components such as SQL and dotnet.
it_user2589
IT Administrator at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
MS IIS- A good web server

Valuable Features:

1. It is Microsoft product that is easy to use and to host local and public websites. 2. Unfamiliar users can work on this product. No license required because it is integrated with the OS. 3. IIS has the ability to limit the bandwidth of your web pages. 4. If the application crashes then the server and other applications continue to run and the failed application restarts the next time with the request.

Room for Improvement:

1. It is not compatible with other platforms due to limitations. 2. Users can not change the source code as per the requirements because source code is not editable. 3. Compatibility issue with other applications.
Download our free Application Server Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Apache, Oracle, and more!
Quick Links