Imperva Incapsula OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Imperva Incapsula is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top CDN tools. It is most often compared to Cloudflare: Imperva Incapsula vs Cloudflare

What is Imperva Incapsula?

Imperva Incapsula is a cloud-based application delivery service that protects websites and safeguards web applications and their data from attacks, and improves their performance by enhancing user experience. Incapsula includes a security platform with a web application firewall, DDoS mitigation, content delivery network, and global load balancer to maximize performance.

Imperva Incapsula is also known as Incapsula.

Imperva Incapsula Buyer's Guide

Download the Imperva Incapsula Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Imperva Incapsula Customers

Hitachi, BNZ, Bitstamp, Moz, InnoGames, BTCChina, Wix, LivePerson, Zillow and more.

Imperva Incapsula Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Imperva Incapsula pricing:
  • "It is not expensive compared to the other similar solutions in this category."
  • "It is a very expensive solution. The price is very high. A lot of customers tell us that they would love to use Imperva more. I have some customers who have 50 websites, but they have only 10 websites on Imperva because of the price. They would love to have all their websites running through Imperva, but they can't. They have to choose the more critical websites to protect because the price is very high. It is a very good product, but it is too expensive. If you buy a plan for 20 megabytes and you don't consume all of your 20 megabytes, it is okay, but if you consume more, you are charged for the superior traffic."
  • "The cost is somewhere around $10,000 a site. For every site, you pay individually. For every DNS entry, you have you pay."
  • "It is expensive."

Imperva Incapsula Reviews

MG
Application Security Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
There is not too much to know but that it is one of the best products of this type that you can get

• "There is no need to have an appliance in house for the services because it is on the cloud."
  • "Certificate management could be improved."
  • "The product could use a broader scope in the area of policies."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as an application-delivery platform for our entire organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is cloud-based and we do not need to have an appliance for it in house.

What needs improvement?

I do not see any big problems with the product. Imperva has had a lot of experience developing this product platform and it seems appropriate for my use cases. There are a few places where it can be improved.

An area of improvement that I was looking for in Incapsula at this moment is enhancing the policy levels. For my purposes, I think there are too few policies. The product and what is included may be good, but it has to be improved further in the area of policies.

Another area that could do with improvement is certificate management. I do not like the way that incapsula handles certificates very much. It needs to be changed or drastically improved to be more fluid.

We have to be conscious of the architecture updates. Updates for the application architecture may break the existing protection application if we have made any changes. It does not seem that this should be so big of a concern for the end-user and could be handled better.

We have been using Imperva Incapsula for six months.

The stability of the product is not usually the issue. Any stability issues would have to do more with extraneous factors.

We need to know more about the scalability ourselves. We are working on it now to see what we can do. The scalability is inherently good because it is on the cloud. There is nothing much to worry about with the scalability part. But the hands-on experience with it is something we are still exploring.

There seems to be no limit to scaling the product from the perspective of adding applications. We just put our product on the market. Until and unless the users complain to us, then we will not know if there are growing pains. It is too early in our experience with the product to get the kind of feedback that we need from them.

We have had only one serious issue after onboarding 50 applications. For one application, we have had some performance and stability issues. It was just one time over the last six months where the problem was affecting the stability. For that one application, we had severe performance issues, and we rolled it back. We are still investigating that issue. We do not know the reason yet that we had a problem with it. We do not know how many of the applications that we try to work will present problems like that. I saw problems with only two applications in total. One is application had an issue with image loading which was not as severe, and the other one was for performance issues. The performance issue was effecting web services.

Scaling, as far as the number of users, is another type of scalability. Ultimately everybody who uses our services uses Incapsula in a sense by the end of the day. This is because every application has to go through Incapsula.

We are also having to look at our own environment when considering scalability and trying to take Incapsula forward as far as we can with expansion. We have some issues with our infrastructure. All the infrastructure is not always optimally compatible with Incapsula. Because our infrastructure is not fit for Incapsula due to various reasons, we are working to resolve those issues. Those are not major things, but they are important to resolve and continue to scale, so we are working on it. It will take some time to identify everything and optimize the system. For example, if we implement something like having multiple authentications it comes with new challenges. In the end, it improves what we offer, but there are issues to consider along the way, and even before the implementation.

The tech support people are good. They are very good.

For web application firewalls we are actually currently using more than one solution. We are using both Imperva and AWS. Which solution that we use depends upon the environment and depends on the situation. So we are using both solutions but for different situations when there is an advantage to using the capabilities of one product over the other.

Installation is not complex. It is pretty straightforward.

We have two people who we use for the deployment of updates and also maintaining this solution. They are part of our team and not from the vendor or other consultancy.

In my opinion, Imperva Incapsula is not expensive compared to the other similar solutions in this category.

What other advice do I have?

I have some advice for people who are considering using Imperva. When onboarding an application, they need to be careful with their other infrastructure and systems. The concern is in part to make sure they do not have conflicts. There has to be proper authentication for authorization and the RSA (Rivest, Shamir, and Adelman, data security). During the execution of the task of onboarding, they need to be a little careful to make sure that is not creating an outage.

So what I would recommend to anyone onboarding an application is that they need to go through the architecture of the application thoroughly before implementing the solution. Do not rush to the end to get it done.

The best way to implement anything is by taking steps to avoid problems beforehand to end up with a result that has fewer issues.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Imperva Incapsula as the number one solution. There is not too much to know about it but that it is one of the best products of this type that you can get. But on a scale of one to ten, I give it a nine-out-of-ten because it is not perfect, as good as it is.

Other
OLUWASEGUN ADERIBIGBE
Manager - IT Security at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Stops web attacks from denying services and endangering the security of sensitive data

• "It is an effective threat mitigation tool."
  • "The technical support is excellent."
  • "Imperva should have more points of presence in Africa."

What is our primary use case?

Incapsula was acquired by Imperva. We had a need to provide a solution for our clients and the Incapsula solution and Cloud WAF (Web Application Firewall) allowed us to have people subscribe to Incapsula as a service. It was easy to work with because we would just put in the hostname and the IP address of the websites in Incapsula's DNS. When the DNS is resolved it first passes through Incapsula and makes a stops in the Cloud WAF before it sends the website itself.

Customers can trust it because the traffic going to the customer passes through Incapsula's cloud service. So if there is an attack, the website and the visitors are protected because it will take care of such issues and it eliminates the bad traffic. Both ends are taken care of so the website is protected from hackers because it first goes through the Incapsula Cloud WAF. That is the basic high-level architecture of how the Incapsula works.

We distributors of Imperva in Africa. I am responsible for our business presence in Eastern and Western Africa. I am fixed locally here in Nigeria. Being distributors, we have a pretty good idea of how the market is in general and how the products are used. All the partners who implement it and who resell sell it, buy it from us and deploy for customer accounts. We cover a high percentage of the financial service industry here in Nigeria.

What is most valuable?

For this part of the world, several things are important. It is important that the clients have the features which they get to use to get against bad traffic, of course as this is the reason for the product. But especially for customers in this region, it is also the opportunity to use the service platform. They do not have to own it or maintain it and they may not otherwise have the capacity to deploy this type of solution. Instead, they can pay for it as a service. It works so well here that even some of the banks are using it.

The most valuable feature is the ability to mitigate bad traffic. I think the highest traffic we would experience can be handled by the Incapsula Cloud WAF because it can scale. So if there is some attack on a website and there is high volume, instead of it disrupting the website and disrupting business operations, it is not a problem for the customer's website. That ability to mitigate problems with the traffic is why the clients use the product to protect their valuable data and customer interactions.

What needs improvement?

If I had the opportunity to recommend an enhancement to Imperva it would be to have more POP (Point of Presence) in East and West Africa, and in Central Africa as well. There is only one POP in South Africa. There are other ones are in Europe, America, and Asia and sometimes the latency can be an issue because for your traffic to hit the website — say in East Africa. First, it has to first go to the nearest point of presence. Because of the distance, there can be some problems. So if they have a POP closer to manage customers around Africa this could be a better service to clients.

I have only recently begun to use Imperva Incapsula compared to the amount of time I have been in the industry. For more than a decade and I have tried my hands on various security solutions, mainly having to do with network infrastructure.  But now I am back to working with security solutions and, over this past year, I have engaged mostly with applications in data security. Before that, I was doing a lot more with the whole of network security. Incapsula is more of an application for data security and it is something which Imperva does pretty well.

The stability is not an issue. The product is serviced and maintained for the client.

Virtually all the banks in Nigeria, Ghana, East, and West Africa, are using Imperva. Of course, they are using it for various things, but for the most part, they use it for data security and application security and then also a little bit on the Incapsula platform.

The scalability depends on the customer but there are really no features that a client will want to request that Imperva does not handle in terms of scalability. Of course, you cannot compare the size of the banks and the input and output demands of banking in Western European countries or the Americas with the needs of banking in Africa.

For us, it is a good solution.

Response from technical support has been very good. I would say that they are excellent because they are always willing to attend to customers' requests. They provide support based on time zones so there is good access.

Because it is a cloud product and the setup is minimal, it is straightforward and quickly implemented.

I do have experience with Imperva SecureSphere. I am working with various solutions that have various features and how these solutions work for different customers. For one customer, I was trying to do some research to see if they should replace Trustwave WAF with a different solution because the customer asked me about other possibilities. This was my first customer who had asked me to look into Trustwave, so I also took the time to research that product. But different products fit different businesses and industries better.

What other advice do I have?

I am not an expert in every solution of this type, but I have a pretty good idea of what makes them work as a good solution based on customer needs. I do not do the implementation because I am more in a position of doing pre-sales and consultancy.

I would highly recommend Imperva Incapsula especially for customers who want extra security for their web presence.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate the Incapsula product overall as a nine-out-of-ten.

Learn what your peers think about Imperva Incapsula. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
540,884 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Etienne WEHRLE
CDN & Cybersecurity Engineer - Web performance & security at CDN Tech / Ecritel
A good solution that allows us to protect websites. It is stable, scalable, quick and easy to use

• "Its unique interface for managing security performance and ease of use are the most valuable features of this solution."
  • "The weakest point of Imperva is their first level of support, which should be improved. They should also improve the access and security logs viewing directly on the portal. I would like to see better access and security logs through the portal and not only through a SIM solution. Currently, if you want to explore your access and security logs from Imperva, you need a SIM tool or a SIM infrastructure on your side to do it. You can't do it manually or directly through the portal, which is a big problem for us. I had a call yesterday with Imperva for the roadmap, and I just told them this. They agreed that this is an improvement point from their side."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to protect websites against application threats and DDoS attacks. Because it is a cloud solution, we always have the last version. I don't need to update or upgrade.

We are a partner of Imperva. Imperva doesn't sell directly to customers, so they have to pass through vendors and partners like us. All of my customers have different levels of services with Imperva.

How has it helped my organization?

We can protect our customers with Imperva solution very quickly, it's highly appreciated by our customers.  We trust the solution because we saw a lot of blocked attacks, so once the customer website is protected, we don't worry about the security of his acces, it's all managed by the solution.

What is most valuable?

-WAF protection works almost out-of-the-box

-Anti-DDoS mitigation in less than 1s, I saw it many time in production, I can say it works

-CDN has high performances, and the Smart Caching mode is really "smart" (you can do some efficient caching even if you're not a specialist)

-It's a unique interface for managing security and performance aspects, we don't need to go through multiples providers to manages these aspects.

What needs improvement?

The weakest point of Imperva is their first level of support, which should be improved.

They should also improve the access and security logs viewing directly on the portal. I would like to see better access and security logs through the portal and not only through a SIEM solution. Currently, if you want to explore your access and security logs from Imperva, you need a SIEM tool or a SIEM infrastructure on your side to do it. You can't do it manually or directly through the portal, which is a big problem for us. They agreed that this is an improvement point from their side.

I have been using this solution for four years.

It is very stable. I have used this solution for more than 20 customers, and each customer has a lot of websites. I have seen some network outages or things like that over the last four years, but I can say it is very stable.

Scalability is not a problem because it is a cloud. The provider manages this aspect for me.

This is the weakest point of Imperva. They have some very good technicians but not at the first level of support. I have already told them this several times. Each time I meet or talk to a chief or director, I say, "Your product is very good, but your support is not at the same level." I provide support to my customers for their solution. So, I know what the customers expect and how to address this kind of expectation. They need some improvement at this level.

The initial setup is very easy and quick. You can put the protection live in less than 10 minutes if you need it.

It is an expensive solution. The price is high as the level of service and security provided is high. A lot of customers tell us that they would love to use Imperva more. I have some customers who have 50 websites, but they protect only 10 websites on Imperva because of the price. They would love to have all their websites running through Imperva, but they can't. They have to choose the more critical websites to protect because the price is very high. It is a very good product, but it is expensive.

If you buy a plan for 20 megabytes and you don't consume all of your 20 megabytes, it is okay, but if you consume more, you are charged for the superior traffic.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution because I have also used different WAF and DDoS solutions. For me, it is the best solution available. It is quite simple to do the configuration. You can do whatever you want. If you know the product, you can do fine-tuning and have the configuration that you need. You need the knowledge to do this, but you can do this, and it works. Even though it is a high-cost solution, it is easy for me to sell it to customers because I know it will work. I get a little bit stressed about some of the other solutions because I don't trust those solutions like I trust Imperva.

I would rate Imperva Incapsula an nine out of ten. It is quite a good solution. They can do some improvements, but it is quite a good solution.

Private Cloud
AP
Solutions Architect at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Easy to configure, simple to set up, and quite stable

• "The solution's most valuable aspect is that it is easy to configure."
  • "The log analytics interface within Incapsula isn't really good. For example, if you have to get all logs from there, it's a very cumbersome process."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution as a WAF. Beyond that, I can't divulge too much information about the details surrounding how we use the solution as part of a confidentiality agreement we're under with clients.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is that it is easy to configure.

The solution keeps itself up to date itself and there's no customization that we need to do. It makes it extremely easy and cut back on the amount of work required, and saves us on man-hours.

The initial setup is fairly easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution doesn't seem to come with any other additional features. There are other products in the market today that give you an overall network perimeter protection. Incapsula is good for what it is, but it can expand its horizon a lot if it decides to include more network perimeter protection features and capabilities. It needs items, for example, at endpoints and some sort of firewall that can work at multiple levels. Items of that nature will really bump up the security and make it a much better product.

We've been using the solution for a while now. It's been about three or four years at least.

The solution is fairly stable. I don't think we've had to deal with crashes of the system. There aren't bugs and glitches. We find it to be reliable.

We haven't had any issues with the scalability the solution provides. If a company needs to scale this product they can do so pretty easily.

I've never contacted technical support, and I'm unsure if anyone on my team has, either. I wouldn't be able to speak to the quality of service they provide.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was pretty straightforward.

The deployment of the solution, which included the design phase of the process, took a few months to complete.

We have our own in-house team that handles any maintenance that needs to happen on an ongoing basis.

What other advice do I have?

We're simply a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company at this time. We use the product ourselves. We aren't resellers or integrators.

I'd advise other companies, based on the scale of the organization and complexity, that if one has to choose a product, a company cannot choose a product from someone else's say so. It would depend on how complex their network design is. If it's fairly simple, then there's only one thing they need there. Multiple layers mean that this solution may not be the right product. A company has to do the research to find out if there are other products that are offering more of what they want, according to their unique requirements.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If the solution was a bit more complete, and offered, for example, perimeter protection, I would give it higher marks.

FS
Vice President, Global IT Security at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Scalable, with good protection on offer and stable performance

• "The solution is very good at intercepting traffic before it gets to our data centers."
  • "The salespeople tend to exaggerate its capabilities, which can cost you money if you don't verify the information."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for all our corporate websites for port 80 and 443 redirect and protecting all the web pages that we have in our environment.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good at intercepting traffic before it gets to our data centers. It saves us some security hits and top-level bad guy stuff. It's very good at protecting us. It keeps anything malicious off of our infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

We did have a major complaint, however, they fixed it after about a year and a half of complaining. It's not a problem anymore. I don't recall really having any issues with the solution beyond what they have fixed.

I've dealt with the solution for two years at this point.

The stability of the solution is very good. I've never heard of any outages that I'm aware of. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

The scalability is just based on the number of licenses and in our case, we've maxed out our licenses. They are extremely expensive, and therefore it would be costly to scale.

I haven't had to call technical support, however, from what I've heard, they're okay. They are not great, not bad, just right down the middle.

The infrastructure team did all the certificates on that side. My team took care of security. It's the security settings we set up. There was a lot of complexity in the initial configuration based on our proprietary apps and having to disable or change some settings to allow some stuff to work. That's kind of a normal thing. No matter what WAF you would have, you'd have the same issue.

The licensing of the solution is quite high. Licenses are quite expensive. I'm not sure if they really offer the value that they ultimately charge.

The cost is somewhere around $10,000 a site. For every site, you pay individually. For every DNS entry, you have you pay.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end users.

We're using the WAF. It's the web-based version. Whatever's the current and newest version is what we're using.

I'd advise potential new users to not believe salespeople. That's kind of a standard thing across the industry, however, we were told one thing at the sales side, and then, after we purchased, it was not true what they said. That's extremely disappointing as it actually costs us tens of thousands of dollars more due to the fact that what they said could happen, how their licensing model works, doesn't work the way the sales guy said. That's a giant disappointment.

Overall, the solution does what it says it will do. I'd rate it at an eight out of ten.

Dian Sabev
Security Expert at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Stable and scalable with good account takeover protections

• "The solution has a very good interface."
  • "The rules surrounding the making of web applications could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, clients are in need of some extra defense and a bit of protection, which is why they use this solution.

What is most valuable?

The most important aspect of the solution is the DDoS feature.

The solution has a very good interface.

Last year, the solution added a lot of additional improvements and functionalities, and for now, the features they have offered us have been great.

They recently added some account takeover protections that have been really useful.

What needs improvement?

The rules surrounding the making of web applications could be improved.

I believe I've been using the solution for about four years.

There aren't issues with stability. As a cloud solution, it's hard to say if there will be stability issues. There might be issues with some customer setups, for example, but not with the product itself.

The scalability of the solution is okay. Companies can expand it if they need to.

We've been in touch with technical support in the past. Out of ten, I'd rate them at six or seven. We've had some issues with them in terms of response times, but overall they are okay.

We didn't previously work with a different solution. We've partnered with Imperva so we're dealing only with them.

Typically, the initial setup is more or less straightforward. there isn't too much complexity.

What other advice do I have?

We're resellers of the solution.

Typically the solution is deployed with the help of DNS.

It's a good product. It's one of the best on the market. If a company can afford the solution, they should try it out.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

VM
Manager Technique at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Good support, easy and quick deployment, and valuable DDoS protection and WAF features

• "DDoS protection and WAF are the most valuable features. It is easy to deploy a service. It is easy and quick to deploy to a new website."
  • "Its price could be improved. It is quite expensive. It will be good if we could export the configuration. Currently, to control the configuration, we need to go to each website, which is not very convenient."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is DDoS protection. We are using it to protect access to internet sites. It is a SaaS solution, so everybody has the latest version.

What is most valuable?

DDoS protection and WAF are the most valuable features. It is easy to deploy a service. It is easy and quick to deploy to a new website.

What needs improvement?

Its price could be improved. It is quite expensive.

It will be good if we could export the configuration. Currently, to control the configuration, we need to go to each website, which is not very convenient.

I have been using this solution for six years.

Its capacity is okay for us, and we don't need to scale it or expand its usage.

Their technical support is good. We get a quick response from them.

It was simple. It is very easy and quick to deploy.

It was done in-house.

It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It has been working fine for us, and it has all the features that we need. I would advise others to know the exact bandwidth that is required for the project because the cost is based on the bandwidth. You must evaluate the required bandwidth beforehand.

I would rate Imperva Incapsula a nine out of ten. Technically, it is a very good solution.

Other
VE
Director at IT Big Bang
Easy to use and enables us to put everything in code

What is our primary use case?

The company uses this solution to protect us from any potential attacks. We are customers of Imperva and I'm the company director.

What is most valuable?

Imperva makes it easier for us to put everything in code; we use Terraform to deploy our infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

This is a very limited tool if you're looking to customize. It would be helpful if Imperva would provide additional resources for Terraform that can easily be deployed. There are some cases where we're currently unable to use Terraform.

I've been using this solution for six months.

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for six months.

The solution is stable although sometimes content delivery seems to be affected because it's in the cloud.

Scalability is fine and we haven't had any issues with resource consumption.

Technical support is quite proactive in sharing information.

The initial setup is relatively straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Download our free Imperva Incapsula Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.