Imperva Web Application Firewall Overview

Imperva Web Application Firewall is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Web Application Firewalls. It is most often compared to F5 BIG-IP: Imperva Web Application Firewall vs F5 BIG-IP

What is Imperva Web Application Firewall?

Web application attacks deny services and steal sensitive data. Imperva Web Application Firewall (WAF) analyzes and inspects requests coming in to applications and stops these attacks.

Protect your applications in the cloud and on-premises with the same set of security policies and management capabilities. Safely migrate apps while maintaining full protection.

Deploy Imperva WAF on-premises, in AWS and Azure, or as a cloud service itself. Easily meet the specific security and service level requirements of individual applications.

Imperva WAF protects against the most critical web application security risks: SQL injection, cross-site scripting, illegal resource access, remote file inclusion, and other OWASP Top 10 and Automated Top 20 threats. Imperva security researchers continually monitor the threat landscape and update Imperva WAF with the latest threat data.

Imperva Web Application Firewall Buyer's Guide

Download the Imperva Web Application Firewall Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Imperva Web Application Firewall Customers

BlueCross BlueShield, eHarmony, EMF Broadcasting, GE Healthcare, Metro Bank, The Motley Fool, Siemens

Imperva Web Application Firewall Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Imperva Web Application Firewall pricing:
  • "Everybody complains about the price of this solution."
  • "The cost of this solution depends on the platform."
  • "There are some licenses that you have to buy to use some features. Its price could be better. Price is always important because, at the end of the day, customers have a budget. If you can meet the budget, you can sell, and if you don't, you cannot sell."
  • "The price of this solution is a little bit high compared to competitors."

Imperva Web Application Firewall Reviews

JohnTamakloe
Solutions Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Aug 15, 2019
Useful out-of-the-box threat protection, not too complex, and has good technical support

What is our primary use case?

This is one of the solutions that we provide to our customers. We use this solution for application-level security, above layer four protection where the firewall cannot reach. I have worked with both on-premises and cloud deployments.

• "There are some features that are configured by default, so even without doing much, it can still provide a level of protection."
  • "It would be helpful to have a "recommended deployment", or even a list of basic features that should either be used or turned on by default."

What other advice do I have?

This is a security device, and it is used almost every day. It is not just used when there is an issue. Based on what the dashboard or the reports say, you can change policies to meet your security requirements or business needs. Based on my experience, and what I know this product can do, I would never recommend another solution. I advise most of my customers to go for this. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Roi-Nahari
CTO - Consulting Services at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Sep 30, 2019
Dual perspective of positive and negative security makes for optimal protection

What is our primary use case?

For some time now, I have been the CTO of a consulting company and our main issue is web application security. We also handle database security. This is one of the solutions that we implement for our clients. The primary use of this solution is the protection of applications.

• "Compared to other web application firewalls in the market, Imperva does things in the most accurate way."
  • "I think that better bot protection is needed in this solution."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, Imperva is a pretty good product. I am working with the development team for Imperva in Israel, and I have submitted some feature requests for things that I think should be changed. Everything that should be fixed, we have a discussion on it and it is probable that these things will be fixed. My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to first go and learn the attack surfaces because you need to protect the assets from attack. In order to do this, you need to understand the attacks. Let's say that a good defense is a good offense. The biggest lesson that I have learned…
Find out what your peers are saying about Imperva, Fortinet, Amazon and others in Web Application Firewall (WAF). Updated: January 2021.
457,459 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1422225
CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Sep 30, 2020
It is easy to deploy, manage, and expand

• "Its inline transferring mode is the most valuable because it is 100% transparent. When you change the IP, there is no change on the network side. If you can't and want to try to reach an IP, you can reach the server IP. There are many other advanced security features in it. The smallest appliances of Imperva can handle the highest traffic at a customer site. For example, a smaller appliance from Imperva can provide you the same security as an F5 product."
  • "They can provide an option to create reports, automatically import the entire report, and create rules again. In a real-life crisis, it would be helpful to be able to import a report and generate security rules from that report. I should be able to create a simple query and import the reports automatically. It can maybe also tell us the format of the report."

What other advice do I have?

In Turkey, we mostly have on-premises deployments. There are some Azure Amazon projects, but it is mostly deployed on-premises. It is not so easy to send Incapsula solutions to Turkey. I would recommend this solution. It is easy to manage and expand. I would rate Imperva SecureSphere Web Application Firewall a ten out of ten.
Mustafa Okay
Senior Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Apr 21, 2020
Provides good network transparency and integrates well with other products

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Imperva is one of the products that we implement for our clients. They use it as an application firewall.

• "If you are using the appliance as opposed to the virtual deployment, it can stand as the network layer-two and provide real transparency."
  • "The user interface could be better."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is that if they want a stable product with good scalability then they can choose Imperva. The price is a little bit higher than that of the competitors, which largely impacts whether customers choose Imperva. In fact, if you don't care about budget then Imperva is the only solution for an application firewall. My only complaint is that the user interface could be better. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
George Ondego
Manager, IS Security & Infrastructure at Fintech Kenya Limited
Aug 13, 2019
User-friendly with good performance and helps to secure digital assets

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller and integration partner, and we have customers who are using this solution in on-premises deployments.

• "It mitigates all of the availabilities of risks around web applications."
  • "Their portal is very limited and needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I highly recommend. The biggest lesson that I have learned from this solution is that Imperva is not a one-house solution. They create a specialized solution, and that comes with a lot of value. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Tesfa Alazar
Chief Information Security Consultant at V-Tech
Reseller
Sep 24, 2019
Has good monitoring and you get what you expect from this solution

• "Data masking is the most valuable feature of this solution."
  • "Some of the features should be included in the next release is a file integrating monitoring tool. This feature should be improved."

What other advice do I have?

The company has to deeply work on it. Also, with regard to support for the distributor, distributors have a big problem. We got the wrong consigning. It was kept for more than three months in a customs warehouse because of the issue of the problems on the distributor side. That is a big problem. I would rate it an eight out of ten. Imperva is good because it doesn't also only monitor but it also does acquisition.
Natalia Venegas
Specialist Engineer at Entel Networks S.A
Reseller
Jul 11, 2019
Valuable compliance features and has good stability

What is our primary use case?

The primary use was to cover the database. Imperva we recognized on the market as the best solution for techs on databases. The banks here in Chile always ask for these types of solutions.

What is most valuable?

The compliance is the most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

I just need it to be a stable and normal version. I'd want to hear about the new features to see which I would need.

I've been using the solution for 2 years.

I find this solution stable. We have 2,000 users in financial services.

The solution is scalable.

The setup initially was simple,…
OluwoleOlajide
Cloud Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Sep 23, 2019
A highly scalable solution with good stability and great data marking capabilities

• "The solution is very scalable. It is one of the most important features. You can also expand resources and features as well."
  • "The initial setup could be simplified. Every time you have to install the solution you have to get in touch with support or somebody that can to do that for you."

What other advice do I have?

I handle the on-premises deployment model. We have the latest version of the solution. We also sell the product. I would rate the solution nine out of ten.
See 1 more Imperva Web Application Firewall Reviews
Download our free Web Application Firewall (WAF) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Imperva, Fortinet, Amazon, and more!