Inflectra SpiraTest OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Inflectra SpiraTest is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Application Requirements Management tools. It is most often compared to Jira: Inflectra SpiraTest vs Jira

What is Inflectra SpiraTest?
SpiraTest is an integrated Requirements and Quality Management solution that manages your project's Requirements, Test Cases, Releases, Defects and Issues in one environment, with complete traceability throughout. After defining your project's requirements, you generate the test cases and test steps that validate the functionality. The test execution modules allows users to run through the tests, logging defects/issues as they go. SpiraTest is Fully Web-Based. Free 30-Day Trial.

Inflectra SpiraTest is also known as SpiraTest, Spira.

Download the Test Management Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Inflectra SpiraTest Customers
- Morningstar - Deutsch Bank - Sopra Group - Booz Allen & Hamilton - UBS - US Government
Inflectra SpiraTest Video

Archived Inflectra SpiraTest Reviews (more than two years old)

Alexey Anisimov
Head of QA Department at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Has the ability to reuse test cases already used across projects so that we don't need to create new ones

• "The ability to reuse test cases already used across projects is the most valuable feature of this solution. We don't need to create new ones."
  • "It should develop integration with JIRA. We have some complexities which caused us not to decide to integrate it with our JIRA, like synchronous data."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution. My primary use case of this solution is as a repository and for executing the cases against different software builds that we have.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a more flexible configuration of the reports in the next release of this solution.

I have been using Inflectra SpiraTest for around one year.

The stability is good.

Scalability is good. We can add more and more people. We use it to integrate with Selenium to have automated results.

We have around fifteen active users. They are mostly testers.

We had some support tickets opened that were quickly resolved. Their support is good. We don't have any problems with it.

We were previously using TestLink. We switched because it wasn't so user-friendly and we wanted to move to a more modern and user-friendly platform.

The initial setup was straightforward. The administrator didn't have many questions.

We did the implementation in-house.

What other advice do I have?

You don't need complex integrations with other tools. Compared to its competitors, most of the features are the same but the price is better.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Business Analyst Sr at a university with 10,001+ employees
Used it to document our test cases.​ Lacking scripting functionality.

• "We were able to add a step-by-step procedure for someone to follow to assist in testing."
  • "Being able to add scripting for testing can and does save a lot of time. When you are able to just ‘run’ a test case rather than manually add it and run it."

What is most valuable?

We used it to document our test cases.

What needs improvement?

Add scripting functionality: Being able to add scripting for testing can and does save a lot of time. When you are able to just ‘run’ a test case rather than manually add it and run it, it saves so much time and effort. SpiraTest does not have that functionality now and I do not know if they will add it.

Since it can only store documented test cases, that is half our effort when we test. The rest is running the test case and adding over 400 test cases can take a lot of time and effort, especially when we upgrade quarterly.

We used it for two years and decided it really did not meet our scripting needs.

None.

None.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure it will meet all your needs.

Find out what your peers are saying about Inflectra, Micro Focus, IDERA and others in Test Management Tools. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user731991
QA Engineering Manager at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Provides good visibility at a high level looking at where things were, but needs better integration with third party products

• "The features of this product most valuable to me were the test case management and the visual status, by which it was displayed."
  • "Two areas that can stand improvement: integration with third party products and making it more intuitive."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Senior management cares about where we are. They don’t have time to look at a lot of data. SpiraTest provided good visibility at a high level looking at where things were.

What needs improvement?

The deciding factor to not use SpiraTest anymore was because it was cumbersome to integrate with TFS. Once it was put into place, we found out at the time, it did not support file attachments. That was huge for us because our developers relied heavily on having visual examples of bugs we found.

The other area which could stand improvement is flexibility in reports where one can actually create custom reports rather than work with canned reports.

At my prior job, we used this for 5 years.

SpiraTest was incredibly stable. Usually when there were problems, they were internal to our organization, not Inflectra.

I would rate technical support at Inflectra as an eight and a half out of 10. They are very responsive in a timely fashion.

No, this was the first test solution used at that organization.

The setup was done prior to me coming to the organization, but it was my understanding that it was not cumbersome at all.

The pricing was excellent. I would recommend the enterprise solution.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing the product, consult with all the stakeholders who may be using this solution in terms of what is not only important to you, but to them as well. If you plan on using SpiraTest as a bug tracking tool for QA, ensure that it meets your requirements in regards to integration of the tools within your organization. This may rely on what goes on in QA.

Software QA Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Look and feel should be improved. It makes projects more organized.

What is most valuable?

1. Indent/outdent functionality, because it makes it easier to relocate the test cases under any folder (all-in-one) at the same time.
  2. Copy/paste of multiples test cases at the same time wherever you want. It helps me to save time.
  3. Copy/clone a test case based on an existent one. It helps me to save time.
  4. Export test cases from a project to another one. It helps me to save time.
  5. Sign-in only from only one browser, which is good security stuff.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes projects more organized and more likely to receive the proper reports.

What needs improvement?

In general, the look and feel and performance issues:

1. When a test case is edited, the fields to edit content are smaller. Would be nice to have options to expand them in the same view instead of opening each field in a new window. That is very incovenient.
  2. When multiple test steps are edited, some edition field(s) get locked and all changes are not saved anymore, which causes loss of time when the test case has many steps.
  3. Lack of quick response causes loss of time when test case details are edited and during test case execution.
  4. Sometimes the test cases screen disappears and automatically goes back to the "Test Set" page, which causes loss of time.
  5. Make the test cases editable during the cases execution in order to save time.
  6. Only works fine in Firefox but not in other browsers.
  7. The look and feel is old style, please make it more friendly and prettier.

For two years.

Yes, I did, very often with its performance.

Yes, I did, very often with its performance during test cases updating and execution at the same time.

To be honest, I didn't ask for help from them yet.

Yes, I did. Zephyr for JIRA and TestLink, but I must use SpiraTest. The organization that I work for has used this tool for many years.

It was a bit hard.

Folders, test cases, and test sets creation from the "Insert" menu located at the top left corner are very hard to understand, at least the first few days.

Pricing and licenses of Inflectra are lower than others, but the business companies look for more than lower prices.

I would advise checking performance and usability first.

I didn't have the chance. I think the company that I work for did it.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise checking performance and usability first.

I have used it for two years. I have experienced a lot with the lack of quick response, and the look and feel should be improved.

Ahmet Izgi
Test Software Development Manager at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Very simple UI designs which everyone can handle

What is most valuable?

• Price
  • Ease of use
  • Integration with automation.

SpiraTest is cheaper than its rivals.

It has very simple UI designs. We don’t need to train testers for SpiraTest. Everyone can handle it.

We are using custom automation tools. SpiraTest’s client engine mechanism is very dynamic for integrating custom automation tools.

How has it helped my organization?

Test case management was an issue for us before SpiraTest. Now, we have more than 4K functional UI test scenarios, and by integrating Spiratest with automation, we run our automation scripts periodically.

What needs improvement?

We have faced some performance issues. Inflectra may check the performance of SpiraTest. Also, test importing from Excel should be reviewed. We had some issues with this.

We have been using SpiraTest more than four years.

No, definitely we did not.

We faced some performance issues, which could be a problem with the scalability.

Technical Support is fast enough to answer questions and problems.

In our company, we did not use any tool for test management before SpiraTest.

It is definitely very simple to setup SpiraTest. Especially when we compare with rivals, SpiraTest is pretty much the easiest one to set up.

Instead of IBM or HP tools, SpiraTest has affordable prices and support.

We checked HPE tools. But initial setup, maintenance, ease of use, and price were crucial for us. SpiraTest is the winner.

What other advice do I have?

Depends on their user count, they can contact Inflectra about performance issues. We are using them with 20 concurrent users.

it_user722268
Team Leader: Test Automation at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
​Strong integration capabilities with other test automation tools although user interface needs imporovement

What is most valuable?

Strong integration capabilities with other vendor tools, especially test automation tools. Good user documentation.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped our company to centralise our testing efforts and create better visibility into our testing.

What needs improvement?

Its user interface as well as its graphs.

Almost three years.

Yes, there have been sporadic DB errors related to performance.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Its user interface as well as its graphs.

Almost three years.

Yes, there have been sporadic DB errors related to performance.

Seven out of 10. The support is OK, but they don’t provide specific fixes for customers. Therefore, any problems/enhancements are put into their backlog and it could be very long before they are implemented in a future release.

Very simple and easy.

Very good pricing for what you get as a user.

HPE Quality Center, IBM Rational Quality Manager, QAComplete, Zephyr, QMetry, Microsoft Test Manager.

What other advice do I have?

Use the trial version of the tool before you purchase it.

it_user720504
Senior SDET
Produces a test result based on both manual and automated tests

What is most valuable?

Currently, I work as an SDET only and I don’t write or run tests. However, I use SpiraTeam existing tests so I can decide how to automate them. I use Spira RemoteLaunch to schedule a test server, which in turn schedules various test clients which run Ranorex.

In the future, we intend to use SpiraTest to store a script which will be passed on to the test server. This will run the tests and return the pass/fail result. We will generate the test script using a web page server.

In my previous job, I used SpiraTest to design and document tests. I would have a technician run manual tests using SpiraTest. I used Spira RemoteLaunch to run Ranorex automated tests and store test results. I would use SpiraTest to produce reports to generate a Test Plan, and also to produce a test result based on both manual and automated tests.

How has it helped my organization?

My team uses SpiraTeam to document tests and test results.

What needs improvement?

1. Sometimes I need to restart Spira RemoteLaunch because it goes into a bad state and is not listening for new tests.
  2. Spira RemoteLaunch does not have the capability to run simultaneous tests in more than one server.
  3. Spira RemoteLaunch does not have the capability of communicating with an ongoing test (e.g., send it commands). So it’s not possible to have a one-to-one relationship between manual test steps and automated tests.
  4. The preset test reports are very limited, thus I had to XSL to modify tests. This is quite involved. My biggest suggestion for improving SpiraTest/SpiraTeam is to provide an editor to produce test report templates that are more flexible. For example, one should be able to specify variables (e.g., unit-under-test name, IP address, or web site reached).

I have used SpiraTeam and Spira RemoteLaunch for about one year. Previously, I used SpiraTest for about two to three years.

Yes, I just noted that sometimes RemoteLaunch goes into a bad state and I need to restart it. I have noticed this in the past that sometimes the RemoteLaunch does not schedule things properly. It’s been a long time, so I cannot provide details about this at the moment.

Yes, I noticed in my previous job, as one generates many test reports, database access becomes very slow to the point of being unusable.

I have not requested technical support on this job. Previously, before purchasing SpiraTest, the support was superb. However, after purchasing the product, I noticed that sometimes I had to wait for days to get a response. The regular support people were not as knowledgeable as the sales support.

In my previous job, I introduced SpiraTeam after looking at different test management products. At the time, there were not using any. I chose SpiraTeam because it was one of the few products that supported Ranorex, which is the test tool that the company was using.

I don’t remember much, but I don’t believe that the setup was difficult.

From my recollection, SpiraTest was reasonably priced so that was not a big factor in convincing people about getting it. The bigger issue was whether it was the right product for us.

I looked at public domain tools and found one that I liked (don’t remember the name), but the problem was that it did not explicitly support Ranorex. I looked at other tools, but they were too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

1. Use a fast web server with lots of memory.
  2. Limit the amount of log messages for the test report.
  3. Try to pick test clients in the same subnet as the test server. This will reduce scheduling and communications issues.
it_user720519
Sr. QA Engineer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Customizable Reporting Creates Reports That Make Sense To Shareholders, Testers, And Developers

What is most valuable?

The most important area in SpiraTest is the customizable reports; being able to create test reports that make sense to shareholders, testers, and developers. The ability to lay out detailed test reports made life simpler, as a test manager.

How has it helped my organization?

Thanks to SpiraTest, we were able to not only set up detailed and consistent tests, but the scheduling and assigning of tests to test team members gave us a leg up in staying on top of our current projects and gave us the guidelines for test planning.

What needs improvement?

Customizing test reports seems to be something one must have (or gain) expertise in.

I used SpiraTest for almost two years.

No stability issues.

At the time I worked with SpiraTest, there was no integration with Gemini (bug tracking and ticketing).

Anywhere Inflectra lacks, the tech support more than picks up the slack. All of my requests were handled in a timely and efficient manner. Technical support is very rarely associated with customer happiness, but I was very impressed with Inflectra’s technical support team.

SpiraTest was the only solution we used at my company. I did, however, have to provide a proof of concept where I tried various solutions. While there were many options, I found that for what SpiraTest could do and the price, it didn’t seem to be that hard of a decision. Most solutions that did what SpiraTest could do, cost significantly more, while solutions that were of comparable price or lower, didn’t have nearly the robustness offered by SpiraTest.

As someone with a fair tech background, I found the initial setup very easy. The installation guide hit it right on the head.

Understand what your team needs prior to purchasing. The Inflectra sales team was very helpful in finding out what fit our organization.

I evaluated Zephyr, QTP, and a few others I can’t recall at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

Do it!! You won’t be sorry. This is a great product for creating test cases and test suites, with great traceability and reporting.

Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Integration with the JUnit test cases is the most valuable feature

What is most valuable?

Integration with the JUnit test cases is the most valuable feature. I am able to integrate my automation of JUnit cases with the SpiraTest very easily, i.e., by just adding a few parameters in my source code.

You may find the detailed information for the integration from the link below:

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped a lot for the testing side for our applications. The test scripts are written in SpiraTest, which define the step-by-step information with the detailed information about the version of the application, so as to conduct the functional as well as automated tests. The same scripts are run for every new release.

What needs improvement?

Requirement/test case baseline functionality would be a great feature to add.

I have used this solution for two years.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is very good. I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Personally, I haven't used any other solution before this one.

The initial setup was very much straightforward and we didn't face any issues with the integration.

It's worth investing in Inflectra for your internal system as it's very useful.

I have been using SpiraTest for a team of 10 users and am very much satisfied with its licensing and price (a free trial is a plus). The more I use SpiraTeam, the more I like it.

What other advice do I have?

It is the best QA management tool, good for all types of industries.

It provides the ability to create, edit, and manage your project's requirements in an hierarchical requirement matrix, where the high-level business requirements can be decomposed into appropriate system requirements.

Test Manager at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Our organization has become much more efficient in our everyday test case documentation and in the execution of both manual and automated testing

What is most valuable?

• Test case documentation and execution history providing full traceability.
  • Ease of use.
  • Role based access.
  • Ability to customize functions, such as roles, form attributes etc.
  • Plugins to various other systems.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization has become more efficient in our everyday test case documentation and in the execution of both manual and automated testing.

This, in turn, raises the quality of both our work and products.

What needs improvement?

Currently, I am waiting for a major improvement when it comes to sharing all artifacts across projects, this is something the Inflectra team is working on.

Cross-browser stability, i.e. not everything works as is designed in each of the major browsers, i.e. IE, Edge, Chrome, and Firefox.

Six to seven years.

Not in general, but a certain plugin for source code repository connection could be better.

10 out of 10. The Inflectra team is quick to respond and even helps with solutions when I've found it necessary to contact them.

No, we only had Excel or Word for test case documentation.

Straightforward, providing the pre-requisites were in place.

Can't beat it, in my opinion.

Yes, but sadly, I can't remember them all. My main reasons for selecting SpiraTeam were as follows:

• Value for money.
  • Ease of use.
  • No client side installation necessary which some of the other solutions required.
  • Faith in the vendor to listen to me and our needs as a customer. I experienced exceptional customer service and have continued to do so.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anyone to try it first and make sure it fulfills their requirements for this type of system.

Test Master at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Information about what/when/who was done is visible from the test case/set/run menu.

What is most valuable?

I like the way how we can manage our test cases to test sets. A great benefit is that the information about what/when/who was done is anytime visible from every test case/set/run menu.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved our TC management and helped us with the auditing.

What needs improvement?

Manual test case writing Test management and protocol of the results

I have used it for three months.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability…

What is most valuable?

I like the way how we can manage our test cases to test sets.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved our TC management and helped us with the auditing.

What needs improvement?

• Manual test case writing
  • Test management and protocol of the results

I have used it for three months.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is very good.

Technical support is very good.

SpiraTest had more opportunities for our company and has good pricing.

No initial setup was needed; we used Inflectra's cloud hosting option.

• SmartBear
  • Segron
  • Katalon
it_user324045
Quality Assurance Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
It improved the traceability of test cases and requirements, but I think this software could benefit from better reporting options.

Valuable Features:

This solution provided us with our first database solution for test case management. It also provided our first opportunity to easily link requirements to test cases, and test cases to test runs.

Improvements to My Organization:

Moving to a test case management solution like this improved our traceability of test cases to requirements, and our record keeping in general. Results were no longer spreadsheets stored on a server somewhere; they were much more readily available for review.

Room for Improvement:

The bug tracking portion of this software, while ok, could use some improvement. Also, I think this software could benefit from better reporting options - which may now exist in newer versions.

Use of Solution:

We used it for about one year.

Scalability Issues:

We found that, after a while, that after we entered hundreds of test cases into the system, operations like deleting a test case, or a test run, began to take over an hour to complete.

Initial Setup:

Our IT department took care of the installation, so I cannot comment on that. However, getting started with entering in tests, and creating hierarchies for structures was easy to do.

Implementation Team:

After installation, I basically took over getting our test cases entered, our upcoming requirements entered, and so on. The most important thing to know here is that this is a very time consuming process. Not necessarily due to the software, but due to the unavoidable fact that hand entry can take a long time. The software does support importing from certain formats, however if they don't line up with the way you were doing your documents beforehand, it won't be useful. Give your team sufficient time to enter in items as it will save time in the future, and will be well worth the commitment.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

For the price, this is a very simple solution, with limited functionality, that will definitely improve any department still using spreadsheets as their documentation. Once implemented, and transferred over, much, much time will be saved in test case execution, and reporting.

Sr Quality Assurance Analyst with 501-1,000 employees
Dashboard integration of release tracking, test case repository, and defect tracking eases status evaluation of a release. We've had past issues, though, of users editing objects at the same time.

What is most valuable?

The primary features that we most often use is the Release tracking, Test Case repository, and Defect tracking. The integration of all three of these features into the Dashboard reporting makes the job of a QA manager much easier to evaluate the status of a release.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to using SpiraTeam the status of a release was based on a list of defects and the "gut feeling" of the QA tester. Now we are able to quantify our testing progress, level of quality we are seeing come out of App Dev, and if we are on target with the release date.

After a release is live on Production and we receive feedback from clients it gives us the ability to identify where we need improve our testing and add details to test cases.

What needs improvement?

Areas of improvement are all minor things to streamline the process of setting up a release. For example it would be nice if adding a new test case to an release iteration would also add that test case to the parent release.

7years

When completing an upgrade the SQL backup and restore process can be very time consuming. However we have 8 years worth of data and a defect repository of over 100K. So that is likely associated with the amount of data we are dealing with.

In the past there had been issues with more than one user editing the same object at the same time. However in recent years we have not experience that issue.

We have not.

The customer service is the very best I have ever experienced. Most customer service teams are not actually skilled at the use of the product I am calling about, most are simply reading from a script and directing me to a web site or a promise of some one higher level will contact me. With SpiraTeam I have always got VERY knowledgeable support that take ownership of the call and give you a solution. If that means setting up a screen share meeting right on the spot or writing a SQL script for your specific problem you can be sure they will get your problem resolved.

I would say the customer service is the technical support. They don't start you off with a customer service rep that cannot help you and passes you off to a technical support rep. The customer support team is the technical support. I LOVE this level of support.

We were using an IBM Rational product to document test cases and record automation. The expense of that product was very high and we started looking around. When we found SpiraTeam we could not believe how much easier it was to use, and the cost savings were amazing when compared to all the larger software companies.

The initial setup was well documented and straightforward. I found it much more simple than any of the other products we reviewed. It does take time to get all the data and setup into the system, but that is needed to make all the back-end connections that this application will use to make day to day functionality much more simple after it is fully implemented.

I personally did the install and implementation. No outside help was needed.

Save yourself the time and just start out with the full SpiraTeam Enterprise package. Nice to not have to worry about how many users you have and limiting access to such a great tool.

We did evaluate several. That was 8 years ago so I could not say which ones.

it_user333600
Test Engineer/Coordinator at a newspaper with 501-1,000 employees
We were able to make our software testing life cycle more efficient as well as create more transparency. However, you need to modify the projects one by one, making maintenance time consuming.

Valuable Features

• Test traceability - drill down from requirements to tests and incident
  • Custom report functionality
  • JIRA integration and the option to integrate it with many other test tools e.g. scheduler for running SOAPUI/Ranorex/scripts
  • Good technical support

Improvements to My Organization

At first we used MS Excel for setting up test scenario’s and managing the test progress. As the test team kept growing, it turned out that Excel was not adequate anymore. Having undertaken a lot of research, SpiraTest came out the winner. With this tool, we were able to make our software testing life cycle more efficient as well as create more transparency.

Room for Improvement

A great feature in SpiraTest is that you can use an existing project as a template for setting up new projects (workflows, custom properties, and data sync are copied). However, when you need to apply a change to a workflow which is used in multiple projects, you need to modify the projects one by one. For this reason maintenance is sometimes quite time consuming.

Use of Solution

I've been using it since September 2013.

So far we haven’t encountered any downtime or any major stability problems.

Inflectra support staff respond to raised tickets within one or two days. So encountered problems are taken care by them very quickly. Also, any suggested enhancements are taken into consideration by them for future release.

The initial installation was quite easy. For the setup you only need a web (IIS) and database server (SQL server 2008). However, it is advisable that you have full admin access to the database or at least have a database admin who can assist you when setting up the database in a cluster environment (shared SQL server). Especially when the database policy does not allow database users (like a SpiraTest database user) to have full admin rights.

The SpiraTest database user is required to be a full system admin user (DBO role is insufficient) for creating the necessary database objects. The user manual is quite extensive and a great help for doing the initial setup. Basically the initial setup is quite straightforward, but time consuming.

Implementation Team

The implementation was done by an in-house test team.

Other Solutions Considered

• Testlink
  • TestTrack
  • TestRail
  • Zephyr
  • Tarantula

Other Advice

If you are looking for a decent test management tool with a good balance of cost and functionality, SpiraTest would be a very good option, especially when you have a limited budget.

Technical Test Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It's improved over time since our initial use in 2012 but the UI, needs a lot of work.

What is most valuable?

Frankly, I cannot find anything at the back of my mind that I can term valuable. It's a solution we have and use. It is as valuable as having any structured test management tool.

How has it helped my organization?

SpiraTest was adopted as a low cost solution in lieu of HP's Quality Center 9.2 or its upgrades. In early 2012, we were frustrated with the product, unable to achieve our objectives, slow response, etc., but over time and further upgrades these have improved.

What needs improvement?

The product needs to have finesse if it has to be adopted wholeheartedly by the entire testing community. Some improvements that remain at the back of my mind are -

1. Excel plug-in should support user incorporated native excel formatting
  2. Asynchronous JIRA to SpiraTest synchronization
  3. UI could use a lot of work.
  • The folder structure representation takes up lots of screen space
  • Should allow wildcard searches for test cases
  • Should allow wildcard searches for test case names in a test set
  • Universal searches to cover test cases, requirements and release summaries
  • When trying to add a test cases to requirements or vice-versa, there should be a better way other than searching from the entire hierarchy or at least provide a large enough screen to make to easy for user to search.

HP's Quality Center made way for SpiraTest as a low cost solution.

The installation was carried out by the client.

What other advice do I have?

It isn't as easy to adopt. Will need some getting used to.

it_user326895
Test Manager at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's provided us with a multi-project test management tool, but the UI to pre-4 versions need improvements.

What is most valuable?

Test Cases Test Incidents Reporting Fast to spin-up a new project and configure to new requirements

How has it helped my organization?

It's provided us with a multi-project test management tool.

What needs improvement?

V4 is available with improvements to the UI.

I've used it for three years.

No – able to bring on new projects rapidly.

Customer Service: It's okay. Technical Support: It's okay.

Have used HP Quality Center – but this was clunky – too many clicks

There is a learning curve with understanding how to…

What is most valuable?

• Test Cases
  • Test Incidents
  • Reporting
  • Fast to spin-up a new project and configure to new requirements

How has it helped my organization?

It's provided us with a multi-project test management tool.

What needs improvement?

V4 is available with improvements to the UI.

I've used it for three years.

No – able to bring on new projects rapidly.

It's okay.

It's okay.

Have used HP Quality Center – but this was clunky – too many clicks

There is a learning curve with understanding how to program SpiraTest, but once mastered it's easy.

We did it in-house.

Cost is very minimal – 20 concurrent users for the products lifetime.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product with an exceptionally low cost.

it_user324468
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
After implementation, we saw benefits in test viability, but the folder structure/functionality needs to be simplified.

What is most valuable?

Fully featured test management tool:

• Enterprise license gives unlimited users
  • Full artefact traceability is fantastic - requirements to test cases to execution to defects/reporting
  • Customisability and product support

How has it helped my organization?

SpiraTest was initially implemented for our largest IT project at Amec Foster Wheeler (Implementation of Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009/2012). Prior to SpiraTest, spreadsheets were being used to control test collateral. Bringing SpiraTest in, provided immediate benefits in the area of test visibility, reporting capabilities, audibility and overall clarity of the testing effort.

What needs improvement?

Whilst the tool was fantastic there were some areas which were not as user friendly as they could have been. The biggest complaint was the folder structure/functionality. We found that a number of our users struggled to create or move test scripts into the correct locations. This extended out to test sets and requirements. As most users are accustomed to Windows XP/7 environments, a similar method of managing the testing hierarchy would have been a much more preferable solution.

The best part of two and a half years.

One of the main issues encountered was around scalability. Initially there were between 30 to 50 accounts set up, however this quickly began to grow (as projects were being migrated in). We noticed a steady increase in the number of time-outs experienced by end users. Speaking with Inflectra support this was a known issue, and could be resolved by re-indexing the SpiraTest DB. We started off running the re-indexing scripts ad-hoc/as required. However, it got to the stage where the script would be required at least once a week. There was never really a clean solution to the issue.

The customer support was fantastic. Inflectra were always able to provide excellent guidance and resolution to most issues/technical questions asked - where they were unable to provide details at the time, a response would always be issued within a day. This is especially true when we were upgrading from 4.0 to 4.2 - we experienced some technical difficulties with tables being dropped but not recreated. Inflectra provided telephone assistance and we were able to set up a meeting the same day. A route cause was determined the same day and resolved the next day (nb: there were db locks created by other services that had not closed preventing the installation process creating the required db).

Spreadsheets were being used prior to SpiraTest.

The set up/installation was straightforward, but required assistance from the System Admins with regards to kit being available. We eventually moved to a virtualised environment - the transition was carried out by the system administration team and was also a smooth process (SpiraTest fully supports virtualisation).

We implemented the tool in- house. Tthe main advice is to ensure the appropriate backup & recovery process is well defined. We were able to slot SpiraTest backup in with the normal weekly backup cycle. This is extremely important for most tools and especially so for a test management tool.

This information would need to be provided by my manager at the time but to give an indication - prior to SpiraTest we were testing and reporting through spreadsheets. Reporting itself was taking between an hour and two hours per day for a designated resource. Extrapolated out, this immediately becomes a silly number of hours wasted putting a report together. Once the tool was implemented, and real-time reporting was possibly, we no longer needed to waste two hours of test resources to pull together the report. This is a simply case but given that the tool cost £7,000 only, the cost savings were huge.

The tool cost £7,000.

What other advice do I have?

Before any implementation of a tool comes a requirement for said tool. The first step is to analyse your requirements and current process and understand the current pros/cons and the overall costs. If your processes are robust, and there are no alarming pitfalls, then there may not be a need to make any changes. However, if you find there to be many holes in the current processes then there may be a need to make a change. We carried out an assessment on many test management tools (including HP QC) but it was immediately obvious with regards ROI that SpiraTest was right for our needs.

If you are looking for a fully featured test management tool (or going further, an ALM solution) either in house or SAAS and are looking for the best bang for buck then I can recommend SpiraTest without a shadow of a doubt.

it_user324483
Quality Assurance Lead, Consultant at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
There are some browser compatibility issues, but it does provides us with a detailed audit trail.

Valuable Features

Defect tracking.

Improvements to My Organization

It has created paper trail, and an audit history with detailed information on where the defect is currently from, what environment it is in, and whether it is being worked on, and if so, who by.

Room for Improvement

Some of the reporting can be limited. The test cases and test sets portion has its limitations and can be cumbersome when changes are needed to test scenarios. Also, the search for test cases can be time consuming and creating test sets from the cases can be hard if there are many Test Cases loaded. It would be nice to have a better search functionality within the Testing area.

Use of Solution

I've used it for about three and a half years.

Some of the deployments have caused issues with browsers. Also, the loading of screenshots used to work without having to save it to ones desktop. This will now give an error.

6/10 – they do get back to you sometimes with helpful information.

It was pretty straightforward. The documentation does need to be updated as it seemed it was old screenshots it was displaying at the time.

Implementation Team

This was implemented in–house.

ROI

From what I understand, this is one of the cheapest versions that offered what we needed at the time, but I believe we will be moving onto another product that will interact with our other tools.

Other Advice

This is good for defect tracking. I was not that impressed with the test case creation, but it did give good metrics of number of completion, not completed, on hold or defects.

it_user324432
Senior designer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
The current version does not provide enough support for test management way of work, but you can handle a ​mass of test case specifications and executions.

Valuable Features

The most valuable thing is that it's a test management system, in which you can handle a mass of test case specifications and executions.

Improvements to My Organization

It has not probably improved anything. It is just generic test management which has quite a small price tag. Of course it has provided us way to handle our test specifications.

The tool doesn't restrict the usage, so if an organization wants to plan a lot they can, so this tool is good in that sense.

Room for Improvement

It's low score is mainly because of the problems with the user interface, usability and lack of user guidance - meaning that tool has no predefined way of work.

I would like to see improvement in handling test way of work. The current version does not provide enough support for test management way of work. You have too much to plan by yourself. For example, the linkage between artefacts is hard without planning and guidance for end users. The UI has it's limitations and current folder system is hard to manage. User right handling is hard because you need to grand too much rights to the users.

Use of Solution

I have used it about three years. I have been the main user of the product and planning how the tool should be used.

Scalability wise, it needs hardware resources. Only Microsoft IIS is supported, and it's not a Linux based solution. We had to give more resources because it was stuck with lots of users.

Support has been good so far.

Setup is pretty easy but the user guidance for the end users is complicated.

Implementation Team

We used an in-house implementations. I advise to plan a lot about the process itself, because the tool does not support that one very well. Also, the report functions are useless without good data consistency.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The price tag is be quite cheap I guess so in that sense it is one alternative. However, a lot of time goes into handling the test objects in the tool

Other Advice

Plan beforehand how the team shoudl use the tool. In that sense there are better solutions available

Senior Test Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It is very intuitive and easy to learn, but it needs more flexibility in setting default behaviour of particular items.

What is most valuable?

Apart from bugs reporting and tracking, which are obvious features for test management tool, these are the important features:

• Simplicity and usability - SpiraTest is very intuitive and easy to learn
  • Integration with other tools - I was integrating SpiraTest not only with Inflectra's Rapise, but also with MS TFS. I found the procedures straight forward, intuitive, logical and fairly easy to maintain. Spira Test has plugins for a number of tools.
  • Reporting - Flexible reporting feature made managers' life much easier. XML based templates, easy to tailor to user's needs were really helpful in providing up to date feedback of projects progress.

How has it helped my organization?

We came from Excel and mindmaps to using the professional management tool, thus there were plenty of benefits. Out of the blue, we were able to link issues with requirements, hold the history of test runs, differentiate results in regards to release, provide complex reports. The organization finally became organised.

What needs improvement?

To be fully honest, it's been some time since I've last used SpiraTest, thus some of these could be addressed already. But from memory, there were as follows:

• More flexibility in setting default behaviour of particular items, e.g. releases/iterations do not inherit their child nodes' test cases, the same with requirements and subrequirements etc.
  • Working better adaptability of custom fields, especially in terms of integration with other tools
  • More projects interoperability, also some root settings could be able to apply for each project. I missed the ability to establish the same workflow for each project, when a change was applied, to keep the consistency we had to update each project separately
  • More visual flexibility. To change the size of input fields, we had to dig into application code. Each new SpiraTest update obviously turned it all to default
  • Tool integration plugins are great, which doesn't mean they couldn't be better. Synchronizing items is fine, but why not synchronize relations between them?

I've used it for nearly two years.

No issues encountered.

This is the biggest plus. I'd rate it 10/10. For the whole time I was using SpiraTest, I had an impression of being the only customer which counts. They answered even the most naive questions, patiently explained everything, went ste by step with more complex issues, even helped to fix corrupted database. If I were to recommend SpiraTest to others, I'd start with excellent technical support!I worked with TestLink, free tool not comparable with SpiraTest, in advance to the latter. Never evaluated any test management tool.

Straightforward. As simply as it is.

If you think about the complex solution and did not purchase any tool yet, it could be wise to consider the full SpiraTeam Enterprise solution. Although integration plugins are great, it's nothing better than having the whole solution perfectly integrated with no need to spent weeks on maintaining. And the price is really good as for the quality of the system. Try the solution first, Inflectra is usually fine with extending trial period if required. And for this price - do you really think about limited number of users...?

What other advice do I have?

Read the documentation first and do not shorten the process yourself. If you have any concerns, do not hesitate to ask technical support - they will help.

it_user324024
Practice Manager Testing at Ordina Belgium
It tracks the entire test process, but while integration with Atlassian JIRA was foreseen and configured, new builds of it caused the integration add-in to become non-working.

Valuable Features

The fact that you are able to structure and keep track of the complete test process has been the main goal.

Improvements to My Organization

Test approach can be set up with the use of multiple test teams who (thanks to SpiraTest) are able to work in collaboration with each other (follow-up of testing, division of tasks and effort, high level of traceability).

Room for Improvement

• Not much room for tweaking of menus.
  • It's not open for use of add-ins/automation, or at least instability the moment a version differs.
  • Slow response of server, possibly because of the cloud performance.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years.

The integration with Atlassian JIRA was forseen and configured, but the moment a new build of SpiraTest arrived, the add-in used for this integration became non-working, so there's no more integration with JIRA.

It's decent, but I'm not ecstatic about it.

It was very straighforward, because of the web-based implementation, so there's no need for a lot of hardware installation/configuration.

Implementation Team

We used an in-house configuration manager. You should always evaluate the compatibility with your existing environment/tools.

ROI

Before there was nothing, so implementing this was a big step towards a structured test process, so it's priceless.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Considering the cost and complexity of a test management tool like HP Quality Center, SpiraTest provided an acceptable alternative solution, but there are also more alternatives available at this moment.

Don’t be afraid to pay for component you urgently need, but also: don’t hesitate to refuse to pay for aspects you consider to be obsolete).

Other Solutions Considered

Other Advice

SpiraTest is a damn fine test management tool, but it seems that they run the risk of missing the ‘innovation train’ if Inflectra doesn’t act fast…