Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense Overview

Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Domain Name System (DNS) Security tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Umbrella: Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense vs Cisco Umbrella

What is Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense?

Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense strengthens and optimizes your security posture from the foundation up. It maximizes brand protection by securing your existing networks as well as digital imperatives like SD-WAN, IoT and the cloud. It uses a hybrid architecture for pervasive, inside-out protection, powers security orchestration, automation and response (SOAR) solutions by providing rich network and threat context, optimizes the performance of the entire security ecosystem and reduces your total cost of enterprise threat defense.

Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense is also known as BloxOne Threat Defense, nfoblox ActiveTrust, Infoblox ActiveTrust Cloud.

Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense Buyer's Guide

Download the Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense Customers

Council Rock School District

Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense pricing:
  • "When you buy the subscription, there are no additional costs to add any additional buttons."
  • "Infoblox BloxOne offers pretty good documentation. Check its documentation, then do a PoC. Infoblox is very good at providing PoCs."
  • "The licensing is set up such that you pay for the number of active users that you're defending at the moment."

Eli Kirtz
Principal Engineer at T-Mobile
Improved the way that we look at data as it comes in and out

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for all security-type query activities. So, if somebody is trying to hack or infiltrate us, that is why we use Threat Defense in the cloud. We use it to monitor queries coming in and out of our company.

• "Infoblox has helped us improve in the way that we look at data as it comes in and out. We monitor and manage queries from every device that sits inside our company, e.g., every user, every laptop, and every query. When you type something into the web, Infoblox will scan or manage that. If it is going somewhere bad, then it will block them. From a metrics perspective, it gives us data, letting us go back and find those impacted or infected clients to either clean their devices or remove them from the network."
  • "A lot of their documentation needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Build it out in your live environment, then just test every aspect of the product to make sure it fits your needs. You need a DNS solution. I don't know anyone who would want to manage DNS-type activity, whether it is IPAM or DDI via a next-gen firewall. We don't use a lot of next-gen firewalls, so it is really hard for me to speak to whatever their capabilities are. I just know that throughout our company, as a whole, we use DNS everywhere possible. To say that a next-gen firewall could replace a DNS/DDI solution, I would say that I'm not aware that a next-gen firewall has that capability…
PS
IT Infrastructure Specialist Infrastructure Applications at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
We have more visibility, granularity, and contextual information about threats

What is our primary use case?

We use it for DNS, DHCP, IPAM in general, and DNS Threat Defense. I administrate the DDI feature set. We use Azure and AWS as our cloud providers.

• "BloxOne provides automatic sharing of network context data, which affects our speed of threat response and provide real-time threat intelligence. Our security operations needs this to do their work. It makes us feel safer."
  • "Within the past two years, we discovered certain bugs in their products. The resolution of these bugs took a little too much time, especially if our production environment is down for a certain amount of time, then we are losing money. That is hard to convey to Infoblox support, e.g., we actually need the system up and running again within two or three hours. The awareness of these so-called production down incidents is not really easy to convey."

What other advice do I have?

Due to the changes in general technology, everybody is moving out of their on-premise environments to the cloud, which has completely different threats. Look at your spam folder in your mailbox. There are a lot of emails claiming to be from a trusted platform, when in fact, they are not. For example, all these phishing emails and domain names written with different letter letters, like the Cyrillic alphabet or Arabic letters. They look alphabetic, when in fact, they are completely different. All these things are caught by buying Infoblox. Hopefully, they don't extract any data from our data…
Learn what your peers think about Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IgorVan Den Ouden
Network Architect at a retailer with 201-500 employees
Good granularity for control and checks DNS queries completely

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for DNS defense, against DNS tunneling and data exfiltration.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the granularity for which you can categorize what you want to block versus what you don't want to block."
  • "We would like to see more reporting capabilities that are now offered only with the on-premises reporting appliance."

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
HI
Senior Pre-sales consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Best scalability, easy to set up, and highly recommended

What is our primary use case?

Most of the use cases are for the DNS protocols. As 90% or 91% of drivers use DNS, everybody is concerned about securing this protocol. I am not from the customer side; I am from the vendor side. I give support to various customers here in Pakistan. We have deployments with hybrid data, and we also have purely on-premises deployments.

• "The dossier feature is perfect for starting an investigation."
  • "The integration of threat intelligence with other solutions is challenging. If I want to expose threat intelligence, I cannot do it via taxi services. I have to call the API, but the customers are not into creating the APIs. The integration of embedded threat intelligence with other platforms should be better. Infoblox should work on this, and it should be easier for the end user to integrate it. It is very easy to deploy this solution. We should be able to integrate it with other platforms, such as the Next-Generation Firewall, with the same ease."

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution. I am basically doing the pre-sales of Infoblox, so I highly recommended this solution. If you talk about competitors like F5, BlueCat, no solution is comparable to Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense. Infoblox is doing VDI and selling VDI solutions for more than a decade. They are experts at the solution. I would rate Infoblox BloxOne Threat Defense a nine out of ten. It needs tight integration and better support.
MaanOthman
Presales Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Great DNS protection with flexible licensing options

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for protecting DNS and customers from malware.

• "With the model we have, we are able to scale very easily if we need to."
  • "The dashboard and reporting features need improvement. The user needs more informative dashboards so they can get to the results directly without getting deep in the report to get to the information."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. I would advise others to take the whole DNS Firewall subscription because it will add value to their solution. I would rate the solution at nine out of ten.