Informatica PowerCenter OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Informatica PowerCenter is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Integration Tools. It is most often compared to Informatica Cloud Data Integration: Informatica PowerCenter vs Informatica Cloud Data Integration

What is Informatica PowerCenter?

Enterprise data integration platform to help organizations access, transform, and integrate data from a variety of systems.

Informatica PowerCenter is also known as PowerCenter.

Informatica PowerCenter Buyer's Guide

Download the Informatica PowerCenter Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Informatica PowerCenter Customers

University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, LexisNexis, Rabobank

Informatica PowerCenter Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Informatica PowerCenter pricing:
  • "It is for big enterprises. We have leveraged Informatica for big enterprises but not for small and medium enterprises because it is a very costly product as compared to other products. We propose this solution only for enterprise customers. For small to medium enterprises, we would propose the Microsoft solution. Its licensing is currently bundle-wise. It should be features-wise and not bundle-wise."
  • "It's much more expensive, almost three times more expensive than most other solutions."
  • "I consider this to be an expensive product."
  • "The price of this solution is high."

Informatica PowerCenter Software Reviews

AT
Technology Director at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable, scalable, and mature solution for complex transformations and data integration

• "Complex transformations can be easily achieved by using PowerCenter. The processing layer does transformations and other things. About 80% of my transformations can be achieved by using the middle layer. For the remaining 15% to 20% transformations, I can go in and create stored procedures in the respective databases. Mapplets is the feature through which we can reuse transformations across pipelines. Transformations and caching are the key features that we have been using frequently. Informatica PowerCenter is one of the best solutions or products in the data integration space. We have extensively used PowerCenter for integration purposes. We usually look at the best bridge solution in our architecture so that it can sustain for maybe a couple of years. Usually, we go with the solution that fits best and has proven and time-tested technology."
  • "Its licensing can be improved. It should be features-wise and not bundle-wise. A bundle will definitely be costly. In addition, we might use one or two features. That's why the pricing model should be based on the features. The model should be flexible enough based on the features. Their support should also be more responsive to premium customers."

What is our primary use case?

We receive the data files from insurance carriers. We load the data, do some processing, and then make the data available to their internal systems. We apply some business transformations and data validations and share the data in the healthcare domain and EDI B2B exchange.

Its version varies based on the customer, but when it comes to the cloud, we have the latest version. We have been using Informatica Intelligent Cloud Services (IICS) for two years. We have used IICS for two purposes. One is for data integration, and the other one is for application integration.

What is most valuable?

Complex transformations can be easily achieved by using PowerCenter. The processing layer does transformations and other things. About 80% of my transformations can be achieved by using the middle layer. For the remaining 15% to 20% transformations, I can go in and create stored procedures in the respective databases. Mapplets is the feature through which we can reuse transformations across pipelines. Transformations and caching are the key features that we have been using frequently.

Informatica PowerCenter is one of the best solutions or products in the data integration space. We have extensively used PowerCenter for integration purposes. We usually look at the best bridge solution in our architecture so that it can sustain for maybe a couple of years. Usually, we go with the solution that fits best and has proven and time-tested technology.

What needs improvement?

Its licensing can be improved. It should be features-wise and not bundle-wise. A bundle will definitely be costly. In addition, we might use one or two features. That's why the pricing model should be based on the features. The model should be flexible enough based on the features.

Their support should also be more responsive to premium customers.

We have been dealing with this product for around 20 years.

It is stable.

It is easy to scale. It has the concept of a grid, but it is too costly because you also need Informatica big data edition. Informatica PowerCenter has its own software licensing called big data edition. So, whenever we want to scale to a huge volume, we need to go with big data. It has horizontal scaling, which always impacts the price. I can go for a four-node cluster grid or an eight-node cluster grid, which will have an impact on the price.

We have scaled it for one of our enterprise customers, and we had a little bit of complexity in setting it up, but we were able to achieve the desired goals with respect to the performance.

We have been in touch with Informatica support. They should be more responsive. They should react quickly to premium customers.

Different products are suitable for different use cases. One unified product cannot address multiple use cases. For example, Informatica may not be suitable for real-time integration, but it may be helpful for batch integration. Similarly, MuleSoft caters to low latency, but it doesn't get into high latency, which means it is not suitable for larger data processing systems. That's why we need to have a combination of technologies. For example, I may say that I have a resource or a person who has a primary skill and a secondary skill. Primary skill is specialized, and then secondary skill is complementary to that. Similarly, every product has a primary thing and a secondary thing. For Informatica, it is the batch processing, not the real-time data processing. It only processes the structured data, but it does not process unstructured data. For unstructured data, you need to go for a different product. For the cloud version, they have introduced IICS specifically for catering to the application integration requirements.

It is a simple process because we have a pool of experts in our team. Some manual work could be required. We did have challenges while setting it up, but we could also resolve those challenges.

We provide development, integration, operations, and maintenance services for Informatica solutions to the customers. We do ETL monitoring, and we monitor the daily loads and resolve and manage the pipeline features.

We also handle the change requests coming from the customer and performance optimization. We may sometimes also look at the transformations optimization, caching, and all those things.

It is for big enterprises. We have leveraged Informatica for big enterprises but not for small and medium enterprises because it is a very costly product as compared to other products. We propose this solution only for enterprise customers. For small to medium enterprises, we would propose the Microsoft solution.

Its licensing is currently bundle-wise. It should be features-wise and not bundle-wise.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very mature product, but now everyone is moving to the cloud. They need to give more attention and focus more on the IICS rather than PowerCenter. PowerCenter on-premises will cater to one or two industries, and they should give more features in IICS. It can cater to only 70% of the features of Informatica PowerCenter. The data integration is currently not as mature in IICS. It doesn't have Mapplets, and we have faced some constraints. We have already logged a service request for this.

I would rate Informatica PowerCenter a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementor
RobertoMessora
Head of Business Integration and Architecture at Jakala
Safely manages huge data quantities with reliability; enables an excellent data governance strategy

• "Can manage a huge quantity of data and provide reliability."
  • "Requires an established data center because there is no option for software as a service."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is really the backbone of what we do. Informatica PowerCenter is one of the most used platforms for data governance in the banking and insurance industry. It's quite expensive so it's not used much outside the industry, but it's very reliable and strong in everything connected to data management and data governance strategy. For our industry, that is crucial. We are customers of Informatica and I'm the head of big data and solution architecture.

What is most valuable?

From my point of view, the solution has two valuable features. It has the ability to manage a huge quantity of data along with a high level of reliability from a performance point of view. Secondly, it has all the tools and features within the platform to establish a real data governance strategy. That includes lineage data preparation, ETL, ELP, everything regarding monitoring and processes that are implemented in the platform. It's quite feature full in that regard.

What needs improvement?

The solution currently requires quite an established data center in place because there is no option for software as a service so the best option to install the platform is on-prem. I know Informatica is thinking about it because they are introducing a brand new platform for big data management, but it doesn't yet have the same level of features as PowerCenter. This is something they can improve on. There are some significant differences between the two platforms.

The other issue is price. I understand this is a high-level professional tool designed for big companies that have a great need for managing huge amounts of data and I understand these kinds of tools are quite expensive, but sometimes the cost is too high. Their focus is obviously a high-level market but I think there would be other companies who would want to use it but it's too expensive for them.

I'd like to see improved on-prem support like Cloudera which is very oriented towards traditional databases, like Oracle, SQL Server and others.

We've been using this solution for five years.

It is clearly a stable solution, otherwise it would not be used in industries such as banking and insurance. Technically speaking, it's very stable and reliable. In my opinion, it's one of the most stable and reliable platforms for data governance.

Technical support is good and a lot has improved over the years.

Most of my customers use solutions in the cloud so I've used Azure in AWS and GCP. There are lots of services, platform services, or software as a service, tools that are used for the same purposes or objectives, like data governance, data preparation, data integration. It's hard to compare because the environment is completely different and they have different issues. PowerCenter is quite a traditional technology. A product like Hadoop, for example, for storage and process management, has the same objectives but they are fulfilled in a completely different way.

The initial setup is not so easy but once it's been deployed it's quite reliable from a performance point of view.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for this product is to be aware of what's involved and be sure about deploying and using it because it's a very technical tool, something you cannot buy and install in some weird brutal machine. It requires planning and has to be managed, not only in terms of using it, but also economically speaking, because of the cost.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Informatica PowerCenter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DL
Data Architecture/Management at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Stable, reduces your administrative overhead, and the DAC is helpful

• "The most valuable features are the metadata repository and the data warehouse application console."
  • "The only problem with this product is the level of complexity with the number of levels of transformation that you have to go through."

What is our primary use case?

This product is primarily used with an Oracle product called OBI EE, Oracle Business Intelligence. It is used for integration and data visualization.

How has it helped my organization?

This is the best tool that we have.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The only problem with this product is the level of complexity with the number of levels of transformation that you have to go through. I would say that's the biggest issue.

We have been working with Informatica PowerCenter for about seven years.

I think that PowerCenter is pretty stable.

We have three different instances of this running. There is one for development, one for pre-production, and one for production. As far as having to scale linearly, we haven't had the need by putting additional nodes for high availability or load balancing. It's not something that we've necessarily needed. We have not scaled up, either. So, no vertical and no horizontal scaling. It was pretty much used out of the box.

We have two people who are using this solution and they are developers.

Oracle came in and they implemented a lot of the functionality that we needed. Beyond what we received from Oracle, there were very few times where we needed support.

Most of the time, the only thing we needed technical support was with Oracle patches and we ran into a problem, something broke.

Initially, we were doing a custom PL/SQL ETL type of procedure.

We just decided to go to an automated tool, something that was more visual.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. I don't think that there were any problems with it.

We had a lot of assistance from Oracle and the implementation took less than a week.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle put Informatica into their product line. They use Informatica fo do the integrations.

The one benefit is that you reduce your administrative overhead by implementing this tool, and you get more functionality out of it versus most other tools.

With a lot of other tools, you have to do a lot of hacking in order to get things to work properly for you, whereas with Informatica, you have a lot of flexibility.

AmanyEldaly
Data Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A helpful solution for data integration with good technical support

• "The partitioning and optimization to help enhance our development is a very valuable aspect of Informatica PowerCenter."
  • "The multiple interfaces in Informatica PowerCenter are not great for the user experience. Because of this, I think it can cause confusion for any beginner developer."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary uses of the solution are for data integration and to build a warehouse model.

What is most valuable?

The solution is a very helpful product for data integration.

The partitioning and optimization to help enhance our development is a very valuable aspect of Informatica PowerCenter. There are multiple transformations for service consumers to publish and use web services as well,In addition to the ability to implement ETL and ELT n a very easy way and finally, you have structured data for use in an integrated business intelligence solution.

What needs improvement?

The multiple interfaces in Informatica PowerCenter are not great for the user experience. Because of this, I think it can cause confusion for any beginner developer.

When we are dealing with multiple transformations and mapping, we cannot see the flow of our transformation until we run reports. It is not like Informatica Developer, where we can see every step of what we're doing and the flow of the mapping. With those solutions, we can see data and transformation and how it's affected by our expressions or anything we do. In Informatica PowerCenter, we cannot see any data in the transformation until the end or you may need to do some debugging, and it is very confusing for some people. They need to enhance their viewer so we can see data within the transformation and show the affected data.

I haven't had a problem with Informatica PowerCenter's stability until recently. Sometimes it's very slow. I don't know why, but recently, the development has been very slow. I'm not sure if this is related to stability, however.

The solution is good for scalability because it can be supplemented by a Data Quality solution ,Also, if our organization needs the scale increased, Informatica can satisfy this need, because it can deal with different types of sources and a huge amount of data. The features in partitioning and data optimization that Informatica uses make it very powerful.

Technical support has been very helpful. Whenever we have a problem, they are able to solve it.

Informatica platform installation was straightforward, just If the prerequisites checks done successfully, it will be very easy to do.

What other advice do I have?

I'm working with a lot of Informatica products. I use Informatica PowerCenter and IDQ as well as Informatica Axon.

In terms of Informatica Powercenter, we're not using the cloud. We have it running on our own servers.

Overall, I find that it's a very helpful product and a powerful tool compared to other products.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.

SK
Senior Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A high-performance enterprise data integration solution with a useful automated scheduling feature

• "I like the automated scheduling feature."
  • "Support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use Informatica PowerCenter to extract the data from legacy products and load it into new applications. We're using it for this purpose only. Apart from that, we use the Data Quality tool for data quality issues. We use this solution to extract and load.

What is most valuable?

I like the automated scheduling feature. Suppose we want to automate data anonymization, we have tools within PowerCenter for that. In terms of the capability of data loading features, Informatica products are better.

What needs improvement?

Support could be better. Technical support's friendly, but we should be able to get responses from them more quickly.

We found PowerCenter to be stable. When comparing the tools within the Informatica PowerCenter and IDQ, we felt that PowerCenter was more stable for data quality and extraction purposes. Through the command mode, we can do many things for loading purposes, and for all that, PowerCenter is better.

Informatica PowerCenter is highly scalable. Whether it's 4000 records, one million records, or ten million records, we did all these use cases, and it was fine.

Technical support is fine, but we got some delayed responses or didn't get proper responses in certain cases. But overall, it's okay.

We have used some other tools, but we found this solution when we had a huge dataset. We felt that PowerCenter was capable of doing the extraction and loading better than other products. We were also using Microsoft SQL Server DTS in the previous year.

It's easy for me to install Informatica. But for configuration and domain creation with multiple nodes, it will take time. If you have to do it multiple times, it'll take even more time.

For a simple installation, it's straightforward. Otherwise, it will take three to four hours for multiple nodes under multiple services. For example, if you're doing it for only an integration service, it's very simple. But for our data integration service and other services, it will take more time.

I implemented this solution by myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it to potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Informatica PowerCenter an eight.

KS
Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, fairly powerful, good integrations, and useful for quick development

• "It is easy to use, and it is quick for developing things. It is fairly powerful, and it can integrate with a lot of different platforms without much hassle."
  • "Its interface can be modernized. It is an old product. I have been working with it for 14 years, and it still looks the same. It hasn't been modernized much. It also needs to handle more modern formats, such as JSON files. It works with the old text files and databases, but it does not always work with the newer, modern stuff. You need to make your own programs to support that kind of stuff. Support is also a kind of difficult with Informatica. They don't do direct support and rely on using their distributors around the globe for support, which means that you kind of have to go through this layer of different companies before you get help."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its interface can be modernized. It is an old product. I have been working with it for 14 years, and it still looks the same. It hasn't been modernized much.

It also needs to handle more modern formats, such as JSON files. It works with the old text files and databases, but it does not always work with the newer, modern stuff. You need to make your own programs to support that kind of stuff.

Support is also a kind of difficult with Informatica. They don't do direct support and rely on using their distributors around the globe for support, which means that you kind of have to go through this layer of different companies before you get help.

I have been using this solution for about 14 years.

It is stable.

It has a cluster repository kind of thing where you can add multiple server nodes.

That's actually one of the parts that are kind of difficult with Informatica. They don't do direct support. They rely on using their distributors around the globe for support. In Norway, there is a specific company that has the license to sell Informatica, and they also provide the support, which means that whenever there is a problem, you kind of have to go through this layer of different companies before you get help.

It requires consultants. I won't be able to do it by myself. I would need some help to do it.

Whenever we need to do an upgrade, we need to call a consultant to do it. It takes about a week for the preparation and all other stuff.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others depending on whether they are on-prem based or cloud-based. If most of their data is on-prem, I would recommend this solution. If they are not on-prem, I would recommend looking for another tool that is more suitable.

I would rate Informatica PowerCenter an eight out of ten.

MA
CIO at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, easy to use, and integrates well with multiple systems

• "Once you have learned Informatica, it is very easy to use."
  • "The documentation could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

One of my use cases is integrating personnel data from multiple systems.

What is most valuable?

Once you have learned Informatica, it is very easy to use.

The feedback that I have received from team members is that they found it easy to work with.

What needs improvement?

It is very difficult to learn.

The documentation could be improved. For example, if they were to create a system like SAS Books or IBM Redbooks that includes books on how to install, and how to troubleshoot problems, then it would be great.

I would like to see a centralized dashboard that can be used to access all of the Informatica products, rather than having a set of fragmented applications. A consolidated system with everything in a single platform would make it easier for technicians, as well as when it comes to purchasing it. That would be amazing.

I have been using Informatica PowerCenter for two years.

This is a stable product that has been around for a long time.

We have approximately eight people who use Informatica in the organization.

The customer service is good but they can't move you through the entire installation and troubleshooting process.

I also have experience with solutions from IBM, SAS, and other vendors.

My IT team was responsible for the deployment. Our team has approximately 12 people and they are responsible for installation and maintenance, including upgrades.

I consider this to be an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, Informatica is a good product that is very difficult to learn but once you learn it, it's very easy to use. It is a product that I can recommend using.

Saravana Babu
Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good monitoring tools and reporting, but integration can be challenging

• "The most valuable features are the monitoring tools and the reporting manager."
  • "Integrating new tools can be tricky and challenging."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the monitoring tools and the reporting manager.

What needs improvement?

Integrating new tools can be tricky and challenging.

I have been working with Informatica PowerCenter for more than five years.

I have not seen any issues with respect to stability.

We have been in frequent contact with the Informatical help center. It is not only me but other people in the company. They have been very good at supporting us.

We were using the cloud version of PowerCenter with one of our clients, but they have since moved to MuleSoft.

Usually, the initial setup for PowerCenter is straightforward. The is nothing complex about it. However, if you are integrating new tools or if you are putting in an adapter for a product like the Amazon Cloud Service or RedShift, it will be challenging.

The price of this solution is high.

With an interval of every couple of years, they upgrade to a new version and stop supporting the previous versions. At this point, you need to acquire a new license.

If you are looking to add a new adapter then it will be more costly.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that if you are looking for a traditional on-premises service, PowerCenter is a good option to stick with. If on the other hand, you want a cloud-based service then there are better options.

In summary, this is a good product, and other than integrating with other tools, I don't face any challenges.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.