DS
Resource Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Simple to deploy with a host of features

• "Deployment was simple and straightforward."
  • "An issue which should be addressed is that the solution only allows us to do structured, as opposed to unstructured, data processing."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for businesses that wish to analyze their raw data. The solution allows us to do data cleansing and to transform the raw data into useful, insightful information.

What is most valuable?

Informatica PowerCenter is a very strong tool which offers a host of features. We can use heterogeneous data to easily merge and derive the useful information. Also, flag files processing is very useful.

What needs improvement?

An issue which should be addressed is that the solution only allows us to do structured, as opposed to unstructured, data processing. Also, the EPA related data processing should be improved.

Processing capabilities should be streamlined.

I prefer a third party scheduler tool to that of Informatica scheduler, since the latter is not one which is very physical. The solution is not so helpful if one wishes to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.

We have been using Informatica PowerCenter for nearly eight years.

Scalability could be improved, as it is of an intermediate level.

We have plans to increase usage.

Technical support is really great.

Deployment was simple and straightforward.

Licensing costs are excessive and pose an obstacle to someone who lacks familiarity with the solution and wishes to have a proper understanding of it.

What other advice do I have?

We have a team of around 40 to 50 people who use the solution.

I would, for sure, recommend the solution to others, since I feel it to be a really strong tool. It is very robust and has complex capabilities. It allows one to accomplish tasks with ease. We are talking about a strong ETL for those who are undertaking ETL related tasks.

VN
Technical Lead at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Plenty of connectors, high performance, and responsive technical support

• "We have found the PowerCenter and B2B data transformation most valuable."
  • "The solution can improve by providing more connectivity by having native ODBC or JDBC connections available. It will be easier and more people could start using it."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Informatica PowerCenter for our data warehouse to generate reports from heterogeneous data sources from XML, JSON, or CSV databases. We then do some transformations to generate XML ISO standards to send to regulators in Europe and UK.

What is most valuable?

We have found the PowerCenter and B2B data transformation most valuable. Additionally, they have many native connectors, high performance, and a lot of support documentation.

What needs improvement?

The solution can improve by providing more connectivity by having native ODBC or JDBC connections available. It will be easier and more people could start using it.

I have been using this solution for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable.

We have approximately 40 people using this solution regularly in my organization.

The solution is not as scalable as the cloud solutions, we will be releasing it in a few years.

The technical support has been responsive and we were in contact with them quickly. We were very satisfied.

The initial setup was easy. The full implementation took approximately two weeks.

Our internal technical team did the implementation and handles the maintenance of the solution. The maintenance team makes sure Informatica services are started and are up and running.

The solution is in the middle price range compared to other solutions. There are additional costs if you want other features. For example, more connectors or the use of other solutions, such as Snowflake.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Informatica PowerCenter a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Informatica PowerCenter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AliRaza1
Senior Technical Lead at Speridian Technologies
Simple to set up, stable, scalable, simple to manage and debug

• "It's a complete package, which is why we use this solution."
  • "There is some room for improvement in terms of pricing."

What is our primary use case?

I have worked with Informatica PowerCenter in different companies for different projects.

We use Informatica PowerCenter for ETL. We need it for our data integration project.

What is most valuable?

It's quite suitable for our needs.

It's a complete package, which is why we use this solution.

We have not had any issues with this solution.

What needs improvement?

There is some room for improvement in terms of pricing.

I have been working with Informatica PowerCenter for four years.

Informatica PowerCenter is a stable solution.

Informatica PowerCenter is a scalable product.

We haven't encountered any problems that would require assistance from the technical support team.

We did however contact technical support about pricing for the implementation of the site.

I have been working on ODI (Oracle Data Integrator), but we prefer Informatica.

The initial setup is quite easy. It is easy to handle and debug as well.

Normally, it doesn't take long, but it depends on the issues we face.

I was unable to locate any pricing information on the website. I made an appointment to meet with a representative through the internet.

According to what I've heard and read on various blogs, it's quite expensive when compared to similar competitive products.

Based on what I've read, I believe the price can be customized.

What other advice do I have?

There are several products, but we recommend using this solution.

I would rate Informatica PowerCenter an eight out of ten.

KG
Associate Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use and very good for quickly integrating a huge amount of data

What is our primary use case?

We are using Informatica PowerCenter to process the data of the files in the landing zone. These files contain a huge amount of data, and Informatica PowerCenter is the source for us to push the data to Azure Synapse. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Informatica PowerCenter is very good for integrating a huge amount of data in a very short duration, such as a minute. It is also very easy to use. After you provide the source and the target, mappings are automatically done, which makes it easy to use for the development team.

What needs improvement?

Its scalability can be improved. It is not scalable.

I have been using this solution for one year.

What do I think about the stability of

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its scalability can be improved. It is not scalable.

I have been using this solution for one year.

We have not experienced any technical challenges with this solution.

It is not scalable. Currently, we have three users of this solution.

We have not experienced any technical challenges with this solution.

There is no installation. After they provide the URL, you just log in. You just need the server details, and you can just log in with your Windows credentials.

Our client has purchased the license, and we are using it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate Informatica PowerCenter an eight out of ten.

TV
Information Technology Security Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up and quick to deploy, good support, and unstructured data can be imported

• "What I like the most is that we have to deal with less while writing the queries."
  • "I would like to see it be able to import data from NoSQL."

What is most valuable?

The unstructured data can now be imported into Informatica PowerCenter. This is an achievement for them.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it be able to import data from NoSQL.

I have been using Informatica PowerCenter for approximately three months.

It's a stable product.

We are using this solution for seven to eight hours per day. We are using it frequently.

Informatica is scalable, it's perfect. There are no changes required for this solution.

We have not had any issues with technical support. They are fine.

I started coding in SQL, then looked up Informatica directly.

The initial setup is not that complex.

It takes less than a day but more than an hour to deploy this solution.

We are satisfied with the pricing. The licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this to my friends as well as anyone who is interested in using this solution.

I would rate Informatica PowerCenter a ten out of ten.

Private Cloud
HA
Senior Data Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Cloud-based, good performance, stable, and connects well with multiple sources

• "The number of docs has been reduced drastically, which is very good."
  • "The real-time database connectivity when getting the real-time data using the VPN is an area that needs improvement."

What is most valuable?

We like that it is cloud-based and the performance is good. The number of docs has been reduced drastically, which is very good.

What needs improvement?

If you were migrating or connecting with multiple sources, initially there were issues that caused network latency. In the latest version, there are fewer bugs.

Being able to generate reports on all of the status of the monitoring tools and the job qualities would be very helpful to provide to the operational team.

I have been working with Informatica PowerCenter for 12 years.

We are using version 10.4.1, which is the latest version.

It is very stable. It's a solution that has been in place for 20 or 22 years.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is very easy.

When compared with Linux or Windows, it was very easy and simple to install.

It takes two days maximum to implement one nanometer.

What other advice do I have?

When compared with other ETL or ELP tools, Informatica PowerCenter is the best for connecting to multiple sources, which is better when you have large loads.

I would definitely rate Informatica PowerCenter a nine out of ten.

SureshSwaminathan
Senior Software Engineer at Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation
Doesn't require many resources but it is lacking monitoring features

What is our primary use case?

We use it for ETL. We have multiple systems, we extract the data, and create a report from it.

What is most valuable?

If the systems get migrated or upgraded, the amount of resources required are very minimal. We can change the connections and establish a new connection. It's very helpful.

What needs improvement?

We need another tool for monitoring. It would be easier if all the features were consolidated into one tool.

I have been using PowerCenter for two years.

We don't have any problems with scalability. You can increase the nodes and it has good performance.  We have around 25 users.  We have two to three employees for maintenance.

How

What needs improvement?

I have been using PowerCenter for two years.

We have around 25 users.

We have two to three employees for maintenance.

I haven't had much experience with Informatica's support. We haven't had any issues that we needed their help for.

The initial setup was complex. It depends on the security you're working on. There are no pre-defined rules. We have to create the rules and then start working on it.

It's very expensive. We have other tools that are more reasonably priced. PowerCenter is very costly.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend PowerCenter depending on the use case.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

DD
Associate Director at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good performance with easy to use interface; good documentation provided

• "Good interface, reasonable documentation."
  • "Lacks ability to calculate cost of the product."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for building data warehouses for clients with data visualization tools. We need to pull data from other sources so we use Informatica as the ETL. The solution is generally deployed on-prem but sometimes on cloud.

What is most valuable?

The solution provides good performance with an easy to use interface and reasonable documentation.

What needs improvement?

One of the things that I found lacking is that there should be some sort of a calculator where you can input your requirements regarding the number of data switches required, number of users, and the number of data switches in order to get a general idea of cost. It would save me time rather than having to run to the company to get the information.

The solution is stabl.

It's a scalable solution.

I haven't had any issues with technical support.

This is an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Download our free Informatica PowerCenter Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.