Informatica PowerCenter OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Informatica PowerCenter is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Integration Tools. It is most often compared to Informatica Cloud Data Integration: Informatica PowerCenter vs Informatica Cloud Data Integration

What is Informatica PowerCenter?

Enterprise data integration platform to help organizations access, transform, and integrate data from a variety of systems.

Informatica PowerCenter is also known as PowerCenter.

Informatica PowerCenter Buyer's Guide

Download the Informatica PowerCenter Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Informatica PowerCenter Customers

University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, LexisNexis, Rabobank

Informatica PowerCenter Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Informatica PowerCenter pricing:
  • "It is for big enterprises. We have leveraged Informatica for big enterprises but not for small and medium enterprises because it is a very costly product as compared to other products. We propose this solution only for enterprise customers. For small to medium enterprises, we would propose the Microsoft solution. Its licensing is currently bundle-wise. It should be features-wise and not bundle-wise."
  • "It's much more expensive, almost three times more expensive than most other solutions."
  • "I consider this to be an expensive product."

Informatica PowerCenter Software Reviews

AT
Technology Director at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable, scalable, and mature solution for complex transformations and data integration

What is our primary use case?

We receive the data files from insurance carriers. We load the data, do some processing, and then make the data available to their internal systems. We apply some business transformations and data validations and share the data in the healthcare domain and EDI B2B exchange. Its version varies based on the customer, but when it comes to the cloud, we have the latest version. We have been using Informatica Intelligent Cloud Services (IICS) for two years. We have used IICS for two purposes. One is for data integration, and the other one is for application integration.

• "Complex transformations can be easily achieved by using PowerCenter. The processing layer does transformations and other things. About 80% of my transformations can be achieved by using the middle layer. For the remaining 15% to 20% transformations, I can go in and create stored procedures in the respective databases. Mapplets is the feature through which we can reuse transformations across pipelines. Transformations and caching are the key features that we have been using frequently. Informatica PowerCenter is one of the best solutions or products in the data integration space. We have extensively used PowerCenter for integration purposes. We usually look at the best bridge solution in our architecture so that it can sustain for maybe a couple of years. Usually, we go with the solution that fits best and has proven and time-tested technology."
  • "Its licensing can be improved. It should be features-wise and not bundle-wise. A bundle will definitely be costly. In addition, we might use one or two features. That's why the pricing model should be based on the features. The model should be flexible enough based on the features. Their support should also be more responsive to premium customers."

What other advice do I have?

It is a very mature product, but now everyone is moving to the cloud. They need to give more attention and focus more on the IICS rather than PowerCenter. PowerCenter on-premises will cater to one or two industries, and they should give more features in IICS. It can cater to only 70% of the features of Informatica PowerCenter. The data integration is currently not as mature in IICS. It doesn't have Mapplets, and we have faced some constraints. We have already logged a service request for this. I would rate Informatica PowerCenter a nine out of ten.
RobertoMessora
Head of Business Integration and Architecture at Jakala
Safely manages huge data quantities with reliability; enables an excellent data governance strategy

What is our primary use case?

This solution is really the backbone of what we do. Informatica PowerCenter is one of the most used platforms for data governance in the banking and insurance industry. It's quite expensive so it's not used much outside the industry, but it's very reliable and strong in everything connected to data management and data governance strategy. For our industry, that is crucial. We are customers of Informatica and I'm the head of big data and solution architecture.

• "Can manage a huge quantity of data and provide reliability."
  • "Requires an established data center because there is no option for software as a service."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for this product is to be aware of what's involved and be sure about deploying and using it because it's a very technical tool, something you cannot buy and install in some weird brutal machine. It requires planning and has to be managed, not only in terms of using it, but also economically speaking, because of the cost. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
Learn what your peers think about Informatica PowerCenter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DL
Data Architecture/Management at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Stable, reduces your administrative overhead, and the DAC is helpful

What is our primary use case?

This product is primarily used with an Oracle product called OBI EE, Oracle Business Intelligence. It is used for integration and data visualization.

• "The most valuable features are the metadata repository and the data warehouse application console."
  • "The only problem with this product is the level of complexity with the number of levels of transformation that you have to go through."

What other advice do I have?

Oracle put Informatica into their product line. They use Informatica fo do the integrations. The one benefit is that you reduce your administrative overhead by implementing this tool, and you get more functionality out of it versus most other tools. With a lot of other tools, you have to do a lot of hacking in order to get things to work properly for you, whereas with Informatica, you have a lot of flexibility. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
AmanyEldaly
Data Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A helpful solution for data integration with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

Our primary uses of the solution are for data integration and to build a warehouse model.

• "The partitioning and optimization to help enhance our development is a very valuable aspect of Informatica PowerCenter."
  • "The multiple interfaces in Informatica PowerCenter are not great for the user experience. Because of this, I think it can cause confusion for any beginner developer."

What other advice do I have?

I'm working with a lot of Informatica products. I use Informatica PowerCenter and IDQ as well as Informatica Axon. In terms of Informatica Powercenter, we're not using the cloud. We have it running on our own servers. Overall, I find that it's a very helpful product and a powerful tool compared to other products. I would rate this solution eight out of ten.
SK
Senior Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A high-performance enterprise data integration solution with a useful automated scheduling feature

What is our primary use case?

We use Informatica PowerCenter to extract the data from legacy products and load it into new applications. We're using it for this purpose only. Apart from that, we use the Data Quality tool for data quality issues. We use this solution to extract and load.

• "I like the automated scheduling feature."
  • "Support could be better."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it to potential users. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Informatica PowerCenter an eight.
KS
Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, fairly powerful, good integrations, and useful for quick development

• "It is easy to use, and it is quick for developing things. It is fairly powerful, and it can integrate with a lot of different platforms without much hassle."
  • "Its interface can be modernized. It is an old product. I have been working with it for 14 years, and it still looks the same. It hasn't been modernized much. It also needs to handle more modern formats, such as JSON files. It works with the old text files and databases, but it does not always work with the newer, modern stuff. You need to make your own programs to support that kind of stuff. Support is also a kind of difficult with Informatica. They don't do direct support and rely on using their distributors around the globe for support, which means that you kind of have to go through this layer of different companies before you get help."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others depending on whether they are on-prem based or cloud-based. If most of their data is on-prem, I would recommend this solution. If they are not on-prem, I would recommend looking for another tool that is more suitable. I would rate Informatica PowerCenter an eight out of ten.
Kirill Slivchikov
Owner at 7Spring Consult
Integrates well and assists with ETL transformation tasks

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is at a Russian bank. The goal was to integrate DWH with a banking core system that used Pervasive SQL 2000 DB. The bank as our client in the field of Data Warehousing asked us to extract data from their core banking system and build a Data Mart for preparation of regulatory reports.

• "The most complex task, in this case, was to read and transform BLOB data, and Java transformation in Informatica Power Center was a great solution."
  • "Include more instruments for LOGs analysis, interpretation, and job corrections."
MA
CIO at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, easy to use, and integrates well with multiple systems

What is our primary use case?

One of my use cases is integrating personnel data from multiple systems.

• "Once you have learned Informatica, it is very easy to use."
  • "The documentation could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

In summary, Informatica is a good product that is very difficult to learn but once you learn it, it's very easy to use. It is a product that I can recommend using. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 12 more Informatica PowerCenter Reviews