Informatica PowerExchange Overview

Informatica PowerExchange is the #12 ranked solution in our list of top Data Integration Tools. It is most often compared to Informatica PowerCenter: Informatica PowerExchange vs Informatica PowerCenter

What is Informatica PowerExchange?

Informatica PowerExchange Connectors provides high performance, out-of-the-box connectivity without having to develop custom data access programs.

Informatica PowerExchange is also known as PowerExchange, Connectors.

Download the Data Integration Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

Informatica PowerExchange Customers

ACH Food, BNSF Railway Company, Illinois State University

Informatica PowerExchange Video

Informatica PowerExchange Software Reviews

ME
reviewer1286829
Data Management Consultant & Delivery Manager at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Mar 10, 2020
Offers data in real-time using CDC concepts but it should be more flexible

What is our primary use case?

The connection layer Informatica uses to get the data from different sources can change. for traditional systems like databases, Oracle, for example, this is something that is managed by a protocol change. But there are two other key areas. One is integrating with legacy systems, mainframes, and for this one, there are some PowerExchange components. Another important one is getting data in real-time using CDC concepts. For these, there is PowerExchange for CDC. So, it's the three main use cases, legacy data integration, real-time integration, and traditional relational systems integration… more »

• "Mainstream integration and real-time integration are the best features."
  • "Real-time has not been enhanced that much over the past few years. There has not been as many features added like they did before."

What other advice do I have?

You need to get prepared very well before using it. If you just go with the initial default configuration, it will end up with very poor performance. You need to spend some time getting the technical details and the technical workarounds for the product itself. You need some time to master the product. I would rate Informatica PowerExchange at a seven out of ten.
Anirban Bhattacharya
Practice Head, Data & Analytics at Tech Mahindra Limited
Mar 19, 2020
Excellent underlying metadata, monitoring and auditing components

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for carrying out data integration from across different types of sources, different types of data stores and types of data. Our goal is to bring in data at a very fast pace and in very large volume. It has to diversify and we have to strike a balance between the two. We partner with Informatica and I'm practice head of data analytics.

• "Provides a significant amount of control over the landscape and overall implementation."
  • "Should diversify more, maybe with a reporting and visualization utility,"

What other advice do I have?

Informatica is possibly the world leader in this field and has been for the last several years. It has features and functionalities which has made it the world leader for such a long period of time. It's a fully equipped and compatible solution with big data and it's able to drive and achieve the best of both worlds. I would rate this product a nine out of 10.
Find out what your peers are saying about Informatica, Qlik, Oracle and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: March 2021.
474,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Prasun Nesu
Solution Integration and Implementation Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Mar 12, 2020
Easy to use with a good user interface and good performance

What is our primary use case?

We use Informatica PowerExchange for all of our ETL and data warehousing tasks. PowerExchange is something to be used in conjunction with Hadoop. It provides the native features and you can connect to the HDFS system.

• "The user interface and user experience are perfectly all right."
  • "Informatica is very expensive in all aspects, so the pricing is something that could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would say that this is one of the best tools for any data ingestion mechanism. It has tremendous capabilities for data movement from one environment and multiple environments, and it can also be used for providing API services. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
AK
ArunKumar4
Specialist - Technology at Synechron
Feb 16, 2020
Good connectivity to legacy data sources, but it needs better implements for working with big data

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution architect and PowerExchange is one of the products that I work with. It is used for data integration and we use it to bring together all of the data from our legacy systems.

• "The most valuable feature is connectivity to data sources."
  • "Technical support can be improved with respect to delays in ticket response time."

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this tool depends on the client and their needs. Based on their requirements, this is certainly a solution that I would recommend. For example, if their teams are really diversified and they need a quick solution in terms of integration then this is the right product for them. So far, I have found this product to be good. That said, we did face some difficulties with respect to data connections where we needed a real-time feed to be consumed. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
RR
reviewer1285233
Solution / Application Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 5, 2020
Has all of the necessary capabilities to pull incremental data from the source system

What is our primary use case?

We use PowerExchange to track data from the CDC, from sources like Oracle, DB2 or SQL Servers. That is pretty much what this tool is designed for and that's exactly what we use it for.

• "Overall, it's a good tool. It's currently number one on the market. It pretty much has all the necessary capabilities to pull the incremental data from the source system, technically speaking."
  • "The one place where it could be improved is definitely pricing. That's a very big problem. It depends product to product, but pricing is an issue."

What other advice do I have?

PowerExchange is a very good tool to work with. It has the capabilities and compared to other tools, this tool has more features. It collaborates with the call center on more features, so definitely, it's a good tool to work with. On a scale of one to ten, I would give it an eight. I would definitely recommend Informatica PowerExchange.
Liana Iuhas
CEO at Quark Technologies SRL
Mar 8, 2020
Easy to work with, fast, and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We work with Informatica PowerExchange for a very big trial for data warehousing and loading data for various systems. They work off transformation, creating a data warehouse. We also made part of the administration for that client.

• "The transformation work called for Informatica PowerExchange. It was easy to work with this and very stable."
  • "Integration with the largest number of databases and other systems would be important."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Informatica PowerExchange at a nine on a scale of ten. I would recommend it. I would not rate it a ten because I have seen better tools.
SS
reviewer1091745
OBIEE Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Dec 17, 2019
Stable and Scalable with good data transformation capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for getting the data from the source and loading it into the warehouse by performing data transformation.

How has it helped my organization?

We can now update data from several source files from both a database or java source.

What is most valuable?

The data transformation is the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs better integration with other tools.  The solution needs to be more user-friendly. Right now, a first time user needs to get training before they can use the solution.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is stable.

What do I think about the

RS
reviewer1314648
IT Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Apr 1, 2020
Good functionality, easy to scale, and the technical support is good

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are functionality and support.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have easier integration with cloud platforms.

I have been using PowerExchange for a few years.

This is a stable solution.

PowerExchange is easy to scale. We have about 20 users, who are mostly developers.

We are very happy with the technical support.

I have used a number of similar solutions including other Informatica products such as Enterprise Data Catalog and PowerCenter.

How was the initial