iServer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

iServer is #10 ranked solution in top Architecture Management tools and #18 ranked solution in Business Process Design tools. IT Central Station users give iServer an average rating of 8 out of 10. iServer is most commonly compared to Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect:iServer vs Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
What is iServer?

iServer is a unified software platform and enterprise modeling environment that extends and enhances the familiar, market leading Microsoft Visio and Office products. Core capabilities provided by iServer include an enhanced Microsoft Visio diagramming interface, a powerful central repository for all enterprise architecture or business process models and documentation, and a range of tools for visualization, analysis and decision making.

Download the Architecture Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

iServer Customers

Barclays, Cathay Pacific, Deloitte, British Gas, MasterCard

iServer Video

Archived iServer Reviews (more than two years old)

EM
Enterprise Architect at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Simple and flexible with solid stability

• "I have to think less with this solution. It's simple."
  • "The one issue is that if you want to import predefined work, you need to put the licensing model in. So if you wanted to import work that was done before, you then need to buy a separate product for that."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution mainly for enterprise solution architecture as well as modeling and development.

What is most valuable?

I have to think less with this solution. It's simple.

What needs improvement?

The one issue is that if you want to import predefined work, you need to put the licensing model in. So if you wanted to import work that was done before, you then need to buy a separate product for that. That was a problem.

I would also like them to add data-driven modeling.

We've been using this solution for about a year and a half.

It was super stable.

We haven't tested the scalability yet. We have about six users using it at the same time, every day. Everything we did, we did on the platform.

The technical support is excellent. They have a complete customer support deployed.

I used Casewise before. iServer is a lot more flexible than Casewise, however.

It was quite simple to set up, once you've done the training. It was important to get the training done before we could make any changes to the configuration and set up.

We worked with it for a bit before we actually had the training. It would have been easier to get going with the training first, but that was just an operational issue. We just didn't have the time to do the training.

It was quick to deploy this solution. The deployment was the service, because it's a cloud-based solution. They did the deployment and I had an issue with the performance because the solution was hosted in the UK. I asked them to move it to South Africa and that happened over a weekend. That is quite quick, so I was really happy about that.

It's a cloud based solution, so they did it completely by themselves. We just agreed on when and how it would happen and they did it.

What other advice do I have?

First, decide on the deployment model. Secondly, I would recommend doing the training first. iServer is very easy to learn by yourself, but you can get stuff done quicker if you do the training before you start using it.

I would rate it as eight out of ten. If they added data-driven modeling, I would rate it as a nine or ten.

Anuj Shahi
Enterprise Architect at CCandC Solutions
The best feature is the reporting, and the graphs that results from the reporting. There are other solutions out there that have a better user-interface.

What is our primary use case?

iServer is a solution that helps catalog enterprise architect solutions and catalog information.

How has it helped my organization?

You have to spend about 14 to 15 days learning it, but once you learn it, it is easy to use.

What is most valuable?

The best features are the reporting and graphs, which result from the reporting.

What needs improvement?

It definitely needs help to improve the visual aspect of the solution.  If they could help assist the user towards an architecture roadmap, that would be ideal.

Three to five years.

The product is very stable.

It is scalable.

How is

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It definitely needs help to improve the visual aspect of the solution.

Three to five years.

The product is very stable.

It is scalable.

From September 2014 through January 2015, I received help from the tech support staff of iServer. They were very prompt and almost instantaneously responded. If it was something difficult, they brought three to four people to talk with me, then solved the problem. Within minutes, they were able to solve the issue.

It was an easy setup. The installation was smooth for us.

There are other solutions out there that have a better user interface.

Find out what your peers are saying about Orbus Software, Sparx Systems, MEGA International and others in Architecture Management. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user771597
IT Security at a maritime company with 10,001+ employees
We are able to see the impact analysis in real-time if any component goes down, but more ways to report data would be useful

What is most valuable?

Integrating the Microsoft documents to the product and visualization matrix where we can see the end-to-end relationship of the network is of great importance to our company.

How has it helped my organization?

We have uploaded all the internal documents to the tool. We are able to see the impact analysis in real-time if any component goes down.

What needs improvement?

More visualization techniques and ways to report the data might be helpful.

Two years.

Yes, we have had issues with stability.

No issues.

A seven out of 10 for technical support. …

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

More visualization techniques and ways to report the data might be helpful.

Two years.

Yes, we have had issues with stability.

No issues.

A seven out of 10 for technical support.

No, we did not previously use a different solution.

Setting up the Portal was very complex. We required a lot of support from the vendor.

We did not evaluate other options.

it_user722235
Senior Associate Consultant at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Cannot see which activities are control activities when presenting process maps. Client support has been great.

• "It has helped having data lineage in the business cluster, which is used as control artifacts."
  • "Cannot see which activities are control activities."

What is most valuable?

I love how there are no milestone swimlanes. The only swimlanes are business role swimlanes which makes process mapping easier and easy to read.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The ability to add information behind each activity shapes to show which attributes it contains. E.g., frequency, automation, systems, etc.

When presenting the process map to businesses:

• Cannot see which activities are control activities.
  • There is no way of displaying a procedure manual for the process map, which would contain the detailed steps of what happens in each activity.
  • Naming the business role swimlanes with the actual roles people perform tends to be difficult, because they may have multiple roles or multiple people perform a variety of activities in one swimlane.
  • The intermediate event is confusing or difficult to explain to businesses when to use it.
  • The use of an organisation pool brings about a different interpretation of what levels do in the organisation.

Since July 2016.

No, I have not.

I have not encountered any issues with scalability.

My client support has been great. Always ready to assist.

Yes. We were using Blueworks. We had to switch due to disinvestment.

Dealing with a new concept, it was a little bit complex. However, you get used to it.

I would not be able to advise with regards to licensing and pricing, because I have no knowledge of it.

No, I did not.

What other advice do I have?

Understand what is the objective of using this system. If you just want to draw a process map, I would advise using Visio.

Manager Governance, Risk and Compliance at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good and effective reporting features, which help in decision making

• "Good and effective reporting features, which help in decision making."
  • "Enhancing integration options with ERP or ITSM-related solutions for triggering automated requests for process definitions, changes, and tracking them in the iServer."

What is most valuable?

Process modelling through object creation and management. It is beneficial as a very effective change management of processes at the object level if you need to modify a process, and it will impact other processes as well, the object changed automatically changes in other processes as well.

Good and effective reporting features, which help in decision making.

How has it helped my organization?

• Reduced time to roll out and define processes.
  • Easy access for end users through web interface.

What needs improvement?

Customizing features can be enhanced. By giving the user the option to add and modify customized fields for the properties of the objects by enhancing the import capability from other tools, such as Visio, Word, PDF, etc.

For two years.

Can be improved as the vendor is based in UK. Having regional support could improve time and communications.

No, we were managing process definition and management manually.

Initial setup was a little complex, perhaps because we were doing it for the first time.

The configuration of the server, reporting server and clients took a little time.

Aim for the exact number of people who shall define/review approve and view the processes, as it will impact the cost.

Yes, we evaluated AG software, some online process definition tools, and several document management solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Have your manual process definitions ready and up-to-date. The relationships between objects to be defined should also be clear and ready. It will help reduce the time to implement the processes.

Enterprise Information Architect at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Setup is straightforward, but the display of relationships between objects is not automatic.

What is most valuable?

Surprisingly little.

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn't really improved the way our organisation functions. iServer provides a repository for the reuse of objects, but that is about all that is of use. It means we may save some time from not having to retype things, but the overhead of maintaining these objects is quite large. There is supposed to be features around impact assessments (i.e., what systems are being used by what), but that reporting is a bit clunky, and hence not used very often, if at all. Because the system relies on using Visio, and there is no live-link between them, the repository and what is displayed in Visio must be checked out and refreshed to reflect changes.

What needs improvement?

The display of relationships between objects is not automatic if they exist in the repository.

I've used it for 12 months.

No issues encountered.

7/10 as the customer service is quite good, however, unfortunately the product itself isn't.

7/10.

We used Visio/PowerPoint. I'm not sure of the value of the switch, and if I had my way, I'd switch back.

It was straightforward.

We used a vendor team.

It's supposed to make us more efficient, but that hasn't been borne out during use.

I don't know the setup costs, but it's day to day ones are negligible.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I would say that it's a poor man's EA repository. It seems like a good idea, but doesn't really work in practice. It's really two components, Visio and the iServer repository, and there is no live-link between them, so the Visio diagrams can be out-of-date. Don't implement it, you should stick with Visio, as this is a solution that ends up having the worst of both worlds.