ITRS Geneos Overview

ITRS Geneos is the #7 ranked solution in our list of APM tools. It is most often compared to AppDynamics: ITRS Geneos vs AppDynamics

What is ITRS Geneos?

ITRS Geneos is a real-time monitoring tool for managing increasingly complex and interconnected IT estates. Built for financial services and trading organisations, it collects a multitude of data relating to the performance of servers, infrastructure, connectivity and applications, analyses it to provide fresh information, and presents it in relevant, intuitive visualisations. For more information, please visit: https://www.itrsgroup.com/

ITRS Geneos is also known as Geneos.

ITRS Geneos Buyer's Guide

Download the ITRS Geneos Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

ITRS Geneos Customers

ITRS Geneos is used by over 170 financial institutions, including JPMorgan, HSBC, RBS, Deutsche Bank and Goldman Sachs. Clients range from investment banks to exchanges and brokers.

ITRS Geneos Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Sanket Wartikar
Senior Manager - Trading Systems Support
Dashboards enable us to monitor critical trading systems, application servers, networks switches, and software

What is our primary use case?

We are monitoring uptime, availability, and performance of the trading systems through the ITRS dashboards. We have five segments and we have created all the applications and dashboards for these segments. We are monitoring online and have created a separate, integrated monitoring room where we have installed all the Geneos dashboard screens and we have a separate group of people monitoring these tools. In case of any alerts, there are mechanisms for escalation. Currently, we have not only provided dashboards to IT operations, but we have provided them to other departments as well. For… more »

• "It enables us to monitor application processes, to do log-monitoring on a 24/7 basis, to do server-level monitoring - all the hardware parameters - as well as monitor connectivity across applications to the interfaces."
  • "Sometimes, if there is a lot of data coming onto the servers, we have observed a little bit of slowness on the gateway servers which are doing the ITRS dashboard monitoring."

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good tool to use and everybody is very happy with it. We are looking forward to more features. Not all the data that is being captured is currently being stored completely in the right ITRS dashboards. There is a project in progress for collecting the data and storing it for capacity and numbers purposes. We have seen a demo related to data collection for capacity planning and it looks very useful, as do the capacity reports. But that project is still in the roll-out phase and will take a couple of months. The next feature we are looking at rolling out is the integration with the…
MW
User at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Enables our operations to configure monitoring themselves, to react to an issue they've seen

What is our primary use case?

We use it for application monitoring.

• "One of the most valuable features is that it can be configured by non-developers. It doesn't require development expertise to configure it."
  • "The ITA, the post-incident analytics, could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

It would be sensible to use experienced staff. Although I say you can get up and running with little or zero experience, and then go on the journey yourself, if you want to get up and running quicker, then use experienced staff. It's not essential, you don't have to, but if you have a choice... I don't necessarily mean experienced in terms of the product itself, Geneos. Use staff that has higher experience in production support and in seeing problems first-hand. They're the ones who will know what to set up and monitor. Use someone who has real-world experience in seeing what those problems…
Learn what your peers think about ITRS Geneos. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Fixed Income Trade Producion Support at Bank of America
Manages alerts from infrastructure, applications, and batch jobs

What is our primary use case?

Event Management: Manages alerts from infrastructure, applications, and batch jobs. Performs 24/7 monitoring across our Global Markets platform.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped provide relief to existing Level 2 teams, allowing them to focus efforts on in-depth problem analysis.

What is most valuable?

Dashboards Processes FKM Disk These alerts proactively help manage the enterprise operational risk.

What needs improvement?

A lightweight version which could host more than 100 gateways, as we can see slowness while loading all our gateways. We do support a horizontal platform and having this feature will have an impact in the MTTR.

More than five years.
it_user490020
Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It allows you to set your own rules and helps us keep our systems and operations healthy.

• "This tool allows one to analyse, integrate and customize as per the systems and allows you to set your own rules."

What other advice do I have?

It's a very effective and productive tool, and avoids any major incidents.
    it_user494922
    Technical Operations/Network Analyst at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Its use of SNMP provides valuable information without affecting performance.

• "ITRS uses SNMP to communicate with our devices as well as SNMP net probes installed on our servers."
    • "I would also like to see suggested guidelines to accomplish a monitoring task. The issue is that ITRS is so flexible that there is more than one way to complete a task, each with benefits and disadvantages."

What other advice do I have?

Plan and implement the initial framework for the enterprise size as reworking for growth would be a challenge.
    it_user494256
    Consultant, Tooling and Metrics at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It helped us understand how the system behaves when issues are imminent, leading to proactive prevention. Backward compatibility with deprecated features can be improved.

• "Custom script toolkits"
    • "Backward compatibility with deprecated features and in system documentation on what configuration areas are needed to be updated."

What other advice do I have?

It's a lot of work to get started but worth it.
    Manager, Enterprise Integration at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Multiple real time enterprise views of resource usage, with alerting & management capability.

• "The ability to logically normalize data gathered from multiple types of sources via pre-built plugins is extremely powerful. This functionality, coupled with the ability to import custom data via the Toolkit plugin allows Geneos to be leveraged to monitor every system in the enterprise."
    • "Data visualization – real time and historical – is a weakness."

What other advice do I have?

I rated this product a 9 due to how much I used it and how useful it was to us. It has allowed us to provide immediate support where needed, reducing business impact.
    it_user456552
    VP, Lead Software Development Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We use Geneos to provide a business view of the IT infrastructure using its data to produce reports and dashboards.

• "The NetProbe carries over 100 samplers which are capable of monitoring hardware, OS, and the application layer."
    • "I would like better access to the data that is being collected."

What other advice do I have?

Keep the implementation as simple as possible.
    it_user494049
    Assistant Vice President at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    If an alert persists for an extended period, it has the capability to fire multiple levels of escalation email or actions.

• "ITRS can define rules to alert when certain parameters that you monitor breach a threshold. Rules can be configured to fire recovery actions automatically to clear the alert"
    • "I would like to see ITRS integrate its setup editor with a SVN to check-in setup XML after major changes."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this product for monitoring mission-critical applications. ITRS is the best monitoring tool I have used so far. It comes loaded with a lot of built-in plugins to monitor almost all of the parameters that you want to monitor in a production environment – i.e., processes, memory, disk space, CPU, keywords in log files, daily feed file generation, web service monitoring, MQ, Database, FIX Sessions, etc. ITRS ActiveConsole provides a powerful interface for monitoring the environment. The gateway setup editor makes it easy to work with the monitoring configuration.
    it_user490077
    QlikView Administrator and Developer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Switching over to Geneos eliminated manual effort. There's a steep learning curve.

• "Ability to monitor logs for potential issues to prevent app outages before problems get a chance to arise. That's invaluable for our teams in a fast-paced trading environment."
    • "We all look at the same things - CPU, disk space, paging stats, service status with RAG status on each. That could be provided straight out, saving significant time."
    Naishar Srivastava
    Associate-Compliance Risk Project at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

Improvements to My Organization

It is very useful in terms of production support. It automatically monitors all scheduled jobs, database consumption, server utilization, and so on.

Valuable Features

Geneos automatically sends email notifications when any batch job fails, the database is down or the website is down. It is automatically monitoring everything and reduces manual effort.

Room for Improvement

Currently, it is difficult to monitor secure websites using SSL or with SSO enabled.

Setup is bit complex, especially on Linux servers. You have to configure Netprobe on your system and then configure the path/workspace/profile and so on.

Other Advice

The dashboard is not that impressive.
    it_user457266
    Application Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    With different level of user controls, we can snooze alerts from the tool itself. The email alerting mechanism which is based on Pearl is limited.

• "The clean and colorful UI and easy to use options like snooze and active times."
    • "The dashboard feature is full of bugs. Grouping items results in a distorted dashboard."

What other advice do I have?

This tool should be given a try where you have lot to depend on monitoring.
    it_user456498
    Director at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    Being able to monitor what was happening, what errors and what warnings were appearing in real time was hugely beneficial.

What other advice do I have?

I rated this product an 8 due to how much I used it and how useful it was to us. It allowed us to provide immediate support where needed, reducing business impact.
    it_user457908
    Project Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Adding new monitoring nodes is quite straightforward.

• "Tons of default modules which are available out of the box"
    • "The main feature that needs work is the Dashboard designer."
    it_user457203
    Solution Team Leader, Banking at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It has given us the ability to act proactively to identify malfunctioning applications and services. It would be useful to restrict the way to apply some conditions.

What other advice do I have?

It’s very easy to install and setup, offers high scalability, and has a low resource use.
    it_user456597
    Middle Office PnL & IPV Technology Support Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It can be used as a one stop shop for all your monitoring needs if you understand how to utilise it to its fullest extent.

What other advice do I have?

Often I find that people who are not a fan of Geneos had a bad experience with a terribly configured gateway. It needs to be understood that being very configurable has its negatives as it needs to be managed properly to make effective use of the tool. Ground rules need to be set and changes need to be controlled, otherwise it can get messy very quickly and ruin user experience. I am sure you have the ability to sit and consider options, both positive and negative, before choosing a product. I strongly suggest that if you do not have a visual and easily configurable monitoring tool then use…
    it_user456558
    Business Consultant at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    It allows us to monitor each stage of the production lifecycle and allows real-time monitoring of key services.

• "Real-time log monitoring with desktop alerts is valuable as it tells us immediately when there is an issue."
    • "​It needs to be easier to configure, especially with the JMX plugins.​"

What other advice do I have?

Understand the different types of alerts and customize it to meet the needs of your application. It can do as little or as much as you set it up to do, and building out a front-to-back solution is a big project, but can provide great benefits.
    Infrastructure and Release Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Being able to monitor our databases is valuable. We'd like more customisable dashboard views.

• "In my experience, being able to monitor our databases is a valuable feature as we can create our own queries and aren't reliant on the in-built ones."
    • "t needs to have better middleware integration for things such as application and Microsft SQL servers."

What other advice do I have?

You need to perform careful research on what is already included in the application and what needs to be customized.
    it_user456483
    Associate Operations Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The integration interfaces/plug-ins are most valuable as these help us maintain seamless integration with our systems.

What is most valuable?

In my experience, the integration interfaces/plug-ins are most valuable as these help us maintain seamless integration with our systems.

How has it helped my organization?

Geneos' compatibility with most of the available products has helped us improve the monitoring of our systems.

What needs improvement?

We need more hassle free plug-ins that offer "Load and Start" with minimal manual efforts.

I've used this solution for one year.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We had no issues with the performance.

It's been able to scale for our…
    it_user456453
    Market Data Engineer/Support at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    I like the Toolkit module which allows flexible scripts to be created and inserted into Geneos without having to log onto the server.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great and powerful tool. You can input anything you like into the tool, including a database for analysis.
    it_user448359
    Big Data Consultant at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    The ability to build integrations to tools that are not monitored out of the box is the most valuable feature. It's not great at doing historical reporting.

• "The ability to build integrations to tools that are not monitored out of the box is the most valuable feature."
    • "At the moment Geneos is excellent and handling real time monitoring, however not great at doing historical reporting."

What other advice do I have?

If you have never implemented Geneos before I would greatly recommend their online training courses which are available free to users of the product. You can also get classroom based training courses if required.
    it_user448374
    Systems Engineer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Real-time monitoring of market data components on an enterprise environment is the most valuable feature of Active Console and Gateway.

• "The built-in plug-ins allow administrators to easily configure monitoring components for market data systems such as Thomson Reuters Enterprise Platform and SRLabs Wombat (formerly NYSE)."
    • "Much of the reporting outside of the user interface is very basic and requires much customization to be useful."
    it_user430614
    Senior Consultant at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
    Its ability to ingest metrics on a given format allow users to create highly customized scripts/tools tailored to their monitoring needs

What other advice do I have?

Get an expert in to evaluate what your real APM needs are.
    it_user430638
    Market Data Consultant at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Global support personnel, even without expertise in market data, can now easily and quickly run respective market checks and escalate with pinpoint data.​​

What other advice do I have?

There’s a reason even Thomson Reuters retired their own monitoring product, in favor of licensing ITRS Geneos.
    it_user430599
    It has assisted the team to identify issues pro-actively. Tutorials and plugins should be available to download from their website.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure some of the samplers and types (for monitoring infrastructure i.e. disk space, hardware, memory etc ) can be used by multiple servers to prevent duplicating things. In the Gateway Setup Editor, follow the same generic folder structure and set up for all your applications (if you have more than one). This will make the Gateway easier to manage.
    it_user426036
    IT Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Monitoring queues helps us to stay ahead of issues and fix them before users start complaining​.

What is most valuable?

The monitoring of queues which helps us to stay ahead of issues and fix them before users start complaining.

How has it helped my organization?

We use this in our production and test environments. It has helped to centralize the monitoring in one place.

What needs improvement?

We would like to use Geneos integrate with mainframe applications.

We've been using it for one year.

We've never had any issues with the deployment.

We've not had any issues with the scalability.

We've had no issues scaling it for our needs.

How are customer service

it_user426033
    Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    ​They generally respond within couple hours for a normal ticket and can respond even urgently depending on the level of escalation.

What other advice do I have?

It may be tempting to get it working quickly using the root, but I would highly advise against it. Create a new user and give it appropriate permissions by identifying what access it may require to run plugins. Due to its ease of usage it can be abused by application support teams so I would suggest to review the setup regularly and make sure there is only 1 or 2 admins changing and updating monitoring otherwise it can get quite messy very soon. Try to rely on watching the visual interface and not on emails as that can grow huge as well. If you do stick to only absolute critical ones. Try to…
    it_user422880
    Technology Associate at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It is easy to set up and works with different kinds of servers.

What other advice do I have?

Make use of their helpdesk. They are helpful and prompt.
    Enterprise IT Management Consultant with 51-200 employees
    ​The setup is complex, but it provides us with the ability to monitor much deeper than we previously could.

What other advice do I have?

Know your functional requirement. Gradually build complex monitoring. Start simple.
    Ravi Suvvari
    Performance and Fault-tolerance Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Initial setup is a bit complex however it provides key performance metrics to identify and reduce transaction latencies.

What is most valuable?

Complete End-to End monitoring of Apps and infra Key performance metrics to identify and reduce transaction latencies

How has it helped my organization?

Multiple views of Trading Apps

What needs improvement?

None that I can think of.

6 months

Customer Service: Very good Technical Support: Very good

A bit complex

Ourselves

Excel…
    it_user286821
    Market Data Consultant at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    We can monitor the repeated critical alerts and work on producing a more stable environment for our customers, but color-specific identification of events would be nice.

What is most valuable?

The critical alerts are valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to monitor the repeated critical alerts and work on producing a more stable environment for our customers.

What needs improvement?

Snoozing/maintenance work. A third color would be brilliant to identify whether the servers are being worked on, e.g. blue for maintenance.

I've used it for three years.

Issues with certain gateways. We have around 30 gateways in our environment and a lot of servers, so as you can imagine, there's a lot of data. We sometimes experienced disconnects of the gateways which was a hard one to resolve. In the end, we opened its consoles on the…
    Global Head of Performance and Service Metrics at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Although it's a mature product with ready-made plug-ins, there's not much third-party development.
    Geneos is entirely focused on the financial services sector having evolved from a pure market data monitoring solution to encompass trading systems, middleware, EUEM and infrastructure. Architecture Geneos is based on the principles of n-tier architecture. Out-of-the-box monitoring agents, known as “Netprobes”, are deployed rapidly across the infrastructure estate. They can co-exist and interface with current monitoring and application processes so there is no disruption to current IT monitoring. The Netprobes have a small resource utilisation footprint and optimise bandwidth usage by only reporting metrics that have changed since the previous sample. Netprobes capture granular data and pass it to the central consolidation and analysis layer known as the Gateway on a point-to-point…
    Application Performance Monitoring / Project Lead with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's easy to extend and to incorporate existing monitoring scripts/programs, steep learning curve but very powerful and scalable solution

What other advice do I have?

For the beginner there is a steep learning curve. To master the Geneos technology reasonably well, four to six months are realistically needed (within those you can already build up an initial monitoring though). For larger organizations it may make sense to centralize this know-how and re-use it for different monitored applications or processes instead of having many individuals learn about Geneos just to realize one specific monitoring each. Once set-up, Geneos proved to be a very powerful and versatile tool to real-time monitor our IT infrastructure and - most important for us - our…
    it_user217701
    EAI Specialist at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    There were step by step installation instructions for every operating system but sometimes there were issues with the database.

What is most valuable?

Active Console Gateway Webslinger OpenAPI Geneos netprobe

How has it helped my organization?

We are now able to monitor our applications.

I've used it for one year.

No issues encountered.

Sometimes there were issues with the database. If the database logging was high then the gateway would be slow.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 10/10. Technical Support: 10/10.

We previously used Nagios, but switched to Geneos as it has…
    it_user215691
    Trading Applications Specialist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    A very stable product, but the graphical interface could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good solution and can fit the needs of big company.
    it_user215442
    Associate at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    This is a great tool to automate the manual day-to-day checks, but the dashboard can't provide different status levels.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is a valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

The 'start of day' (SOD) and 'end of day' (EOD) checks were automated by using this tool, thus reducing the amount of manual work needed by almost two hours per day.

What needs improvement?

Currently the dashboard does not have the capability of providing different status levels, and this needs to be updated.

I've used it for four to five years.

it_user215418
    IT Support Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It covers everything we need to monitor in one place.

What is most valuable?

This is the most amazing monitoring tool I've ever worked with, because it allows you to monitor a lot of things and also to address the issue and assign it to someone so everyone will know it's being investigated.

I've used it for six months now.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 9/10. Technical Support: 9/10.

We switched because this covers everything we need to monitor in one place.…
    Senior Technical Director at CJC
    The best real time data monitoring system however you may require a system architect to design the system initially.

What other advice do I have?

My logic is ask for a proposal – they cost nothing! If you don’t ask, you don’t get. It’s up to those looking for top level monitoring to go to the various providers and weigh them up both in terms of functionality in cost. I’m confident ITRS would be competitive for commoditised IT and non-mission critical environments.
    it_user211737
    IT Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The initial setup was a bit complex but the product is easily scalable.

What other advice do I have?

Plan the implementation top to bottom before starting so you don't have to redesign it afterwards. * Get to know the product and the capabilities * Decide what you need to monitor * Implement it in steps, e.g. first core (hardware) and then application specific
    it_user210063
    Software Development Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Netprobe can be unstable but its simplicity is valuable.

What is most valuable?

Simplicity Number of users Supports a lot of technologies Easy to build a monitoring solution It has a multiple platform support

How has it helped my organization?

Monitoring solutions Services health dashboards

What needs improvement?

Performance Scalability

In some cases Netprobe can be unstable.

Yes, we encountered some problems due to the fact that Gateway is 32bit (4gb memory limit) - maybe we should split it into a few, or maybe open access cluster would be a solution but we did not try it yet.

Customer Service: Very good. Technical Support: Very good.

Which solution did I use

Download our free ITRS Geneos Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.