reviewer1697601
Apple Mac Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Scalable with helpful technical support and excellent scripts

• "We can set custom deployments based on every available parameter in macOS."
  • "I am always complaining about the reporting side of things. I love how reporting lets us create custom reports, however, I also feel like it could use some updating."

What is our primary use case?

In our company we are managing 5 clients - all using Jamf Pro. Our primary use case is to provision a big number of devices (located around the globe) with applications, network configurations, security settings, VPN configurations, printer setups, operating system patches, etc. Jamf Pro fits our needs in one hundred percent of the cases and helps us satisfy our customers. It’s a leading MDM that has the biggest number of features compared to other solutions (such as Microsoft Intune, Workspace One, or Quest Kace).

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization is not only managing other clients but also is being managed. Jamf Pro helps users in our organization to quickly, easily, and painlessly get applications required to fulfill their work. For example, the first enrollment to our company’s Jamf Pro installs Microsoft Office, Global Protect VPN, and sets the password requirements, assigns the device to the user, helps to get the 1Password license, and more. The user is also presented with a self-service application that contains all sorts of useful stuff.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects include:

Scripts. Jamf Pro has the best scripts from all of the available MDM solutions. They allow us to deploy complicated scripts to thousands of users. We can use script parameters inside the console which allows us to use one script for different configurations. Also, logs are presented as soon as script is executed.

Extension attributes. This is a great feature that is not available in other MDMs. EAs let us create super custom reports and the possibilities are endless thanks to the fact that EAs can be scripted.

Smart Groups. We can set custom deployments based on every available parameter in macOS.

What needs improvement?

I am always complaining about the reporting side of things. I love how reporting lets us create custom reports, however, I also feel like it could use some updating. For example, when I need to create a report which has 20 conditions, I cannot simply choose one and then copy it 19 times. I need to search for the condition 20 times, then change the operators, etc.

In terms of additional features, I would be blown away if Jamf could add a force check-in button. We have a huge on-premises environment and our check-in is set to once per hour.

I've used the solution for 3.5 years.

I am very satisfied with the stability.

I am super satisfied. We have an environment for around 30,000 Mac devices.

I’ve had a couple of cases in the past and everything went fine. Jamf has always helped me.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We did use Dell Kace. It wasn’t bad, however, Jamf has a lot more features.

It was a simple setup. Jamf has a lot of manuals and the whole Jamf Nation is helpful.

I am always satisfied with Jamf support.

We went straight to Jamf, as we already new it’s capabilities.

John Hathcock
Help Desk & Server Support at Riverdale Ministries
Simple to use, facilitates device maintenance and compliance, and scales with our requirements

• "Microsoft SSO integration allows us to set up email remotely for users without them having to do anything other than entering their password."
  • "I would like to see either a report section or an integration with a new reporting module to allow us to pull real metrics from the system easily."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jamf Pro Cloud to manage 500+ Apple iPads, MacBook Airs, and Mac minis across both our campus and distance learning environments with 50+ employees and 300 students.

Jamf Pro facilitates all device provisioning, software deployment, security profiles, and network access. The printer setup is managed by static groups. Device monitoring is simple using smart groups to monitor for device health, battery charge, storage, and OS version, among other options.

Jamf Pro Cloud is simple to use, powerful and it empowers our IT workflow to provide excellence in customer service.

How has it helped my organization?

We are a K-12 private Christian school located in Maryland. Due to this, we have several sets of regulations that we are required to be compliant with for child safety when using computers or mobile devices.

When we decided to implement our Apple 1:1 device program, we chose Jamf Pro as our MDM vendor. Starting out on-site as Casper Suite and then migrating to the Cloud as Jamf Pro, Jamf has allowed us to maintain compliance with the Child Online Protection Act and all applicable educational regulations.

This product makes device deployment and software maintenance simple.

What is most valuable?

Enrollment profiles allow us to pre-configure devices directly from Apple. We can set up a new Mac or iPad without ever touching the device.

Configuration profiles are assigned by static groups and allow us to manage device software, settings, security, and set up with ease.

Smart groups are triggered on certain data points such as battery charge, device health, OS version, etc., and allow us to monitor device use and user maintenance of the devices.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more robust reporting options for data. Right now there are data points you can configure on your login screen to monitor system health, device health, battery charge, OS versions, lost devices, etc., but there are no real reports you can run about device updates, maintenance, user metrics, etc.

I would like to see either a report section or an integration with a new reporting module to allow us to pull real metrics from the system easily. This will facilitate IT's ability to say, hey, budget people, here's why we need this.

We have been using Jamf Pro since 2013.

Jamf Pro Cloud has a 99% uptime.

Jamf Pro Cloud handles our device load without any issue.  We run approximately 250 iPads and 330 assorted Mac computers and laptops. With our combined device count, we're not taxing the system at all. From speaking with Jamf, we'd still be considered a smaller client, so to answer the question, I would recommend that potential clients contact Jamf for exact information, but it appears that they can scale from a small number of devices to several thousand with no issues.

Jamf Pro was our first MDM.

Private Cloud

Other
Learn what your peers think about Jamf Pro. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Lee Litzsey
Endpoint Support Technician at Waddell & Reed Financial
Good user interface, affordable, and great for patch management

• "The user interface is great."
  • "The solution should offer beta testing for new products."

What is our primary use case?

I used it in a school environment where we use it to download student's profiles and keep them connected to their Outlook, et cetera.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution helps as patch management with Macs. Previously I was doing everything manually by myself. With this product, now I'm saving two hours per device and I have roughly 30 devices that I deal with, so it's saving me a huge amount of work.

What is most valuable?

I love it because there's not too much out there for Macs in terms of patch management.

They give users a huge amount of time-savings.

The user interface is great.

The solution overall is very affordable.

What needs improvement?

The solution should offer beta testing for new products.

The solution needs more demos for when new releases come out to help us understand the changes and how to use new features.

I've been using the solution on and off for about two years.

The solution's stability is solid. There isn't any crashing. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

On a previous project, we had about 75-80 people on the solution. On the current project the average amount of users will be 30-35. It's a bit of a smaller project.

When I did have questions, the 24-hour customer service they have on offer helped walk me through a lot of things. I'm satisfied with the level of support we get from Jamf. They've resolved any issue we've ever had.

I've had years of experience with Microsoft products such as the SCCM and we've used some more MBM's and mobile wiring and other kinds of solutions. We're also using Intune as well.

We haven't set up the solution just yet for this latest project. We're going to discuss implementing it soon. However, I need the budget for it first. I'm waiting for that. Right now, we're working on a demo.

We have done the initial setup for previous projects, and as I recall, it was not complex, it was quite straightforward.

I personally take care of any maintenance needed.

We had three days of on-site training. Jamf walks us through everything before implementation even begins so we have a good understanding of how everything works.

The pricing is pretty perfect. I like it; it's very affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I've been following the solution a lot on YouTube, as far as the latest updates, and am continuously reading new white papers on it.

The current version I'm using right now is a demo, however, in the past, I have used the on-premises version.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. If they added beta testing, I'd give it perfect marks.

Jeffery Anderson
Support Team Lead at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Makes large deployments and system upgrades manageable, and helps us maintain PCI compliance

• "The time that we save in hours for new deployments, redeployments, application upgrades and OS upgrades more than makes up for the cost of the product."
  • "Jamf doesn't make the Cloud file system visible so there are rare occasions where the local repository and Cloud repository get out of sync."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jamf to deploy our Macs and iPads. We have 700 Macs and 700 iPads that we manage using Jamf. We typically refresh around 200 new devices every year. This is a lot to manage.

We can give a user an iPad still in the box and when they open it, they log into the device using their network credentials and Jamf sets up and configures the device automatically.  For Macs, we have minimal set up prior to deployment. Jamf installs all of our company applications and then we use Jamf to keep the Mac up to date.

How has it helped my organization?

Without Jamf, it would be nearly impossible to manage 700 Macs and 700 iPads. With limited staff, we can manage this number of devices with ease. Imagine having to go to 700 devices to do a software or OS update. With Jamf, we don't have to touch each device. We can easily determine software and OS versions on the devices and push updates to the devices as needed. We also offer several macOS and iOS applications in Self Service, which is a repository where users can install company-approved applications with ease.

What is most valuable?

Quick and easy deployment is beneficial when deploying large numbers of devices. The time that we save in hours for new deployments, redeployments, application upgrades and OS upgrades more than makes up for the cost of the product.

Since my company falls under the scope of PCI, we can easily identify applications and OS versions that need to be updated, and we can push the updates automatically. This ability helps us to remain in compliance so that we can pass our annual PC audits with ease.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I sometimes struggle with is file management of our packages which resided on the Cloud instance of the file repository. Jamf doesn't make the Cloud file system visible so there are rare occasions where the local repository and Cloud repository get out of sync. This is a minor issue, however. The few times that this has ever caused problems for me, I was able to reach out to Jamf support and during a quick phone call, the tech support team was able to identify my issue and offer a quick solution.

Our company has been using Jamf for over ten years. I have been the Jamf admin for just over one year.

This solution is very stable.

Jamf is extremely scalable. We have around 1400 total devices under management. Other companies have well over 100,000 devices.

Tech support is top-notch. They are easy to access and extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Jamf was chosen long before I started with the company.

I believe there was just in-house deployment.

The cost of Jamf is certainly worth the investment.

I was not around during evaluation.

Hybrid Cloud
reviewer1373802
IT Support Technician at MLSE
Helped us have the ability to push security updates and standardize all of our Mac computers in our environment

• "Being able to push out elevation policies to users on an Adhoc basis helps us when users are not in the office."
  • "I think that there should also be more integrations with Jamf that could better the intelligence-gathering when making business decisions."

What is our primary use case?

Our main use of Jamf is to manage our ever-growing Apple environment. We are 90:10 Windows to Mac ration environment which means that the adoption rates for macOS are also increasing after our pilot project for our choice program. Although we're predominantly a Windows environment we've had challenges integrating our macOS devices but Jamf has made it simple with compliance deployments and when it comes to pushing out security patches and monitoring the devices remotely. It also helps monitor devices in our zero-trust environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made the management of macOS much easier and we are able to standardize and have our Macs in compliance. Although we're predominantly a Windows environment we've had challenges integrating our macOS devices but Jamf has made it simple with compliance deployments and when it comes to pushing out security patches and monitoring the devices remotely. It also helps monitor devices in our zero-trust environment.

What is most valuable?

The feature of having dynamic groups that can filter in the computers based on settings/apps/configurations/etc is the most valuable aspect of this solution. Jamf has helped us manage all our devices even remote users that are located in Europe or the States (we're in Canada) it also has helped us have the ability to push security updates and standardize all of our Mac computers in our environment. iOS devices have also been taken into consideration and having both iOS and macOS being managed in the same environment makes it more efficient and effective.

What needs improvement?

I've been thinking about improvement and I think it would be much advantageous to have some sort of remote desktop application that could be implemented to help the remote workforce during the Work From Home times. Also, I think that there should be some sort of mobile app that will help you manage the devices from an iOS device quickly in case some times you cannot be at your computer. I think that there should also be more integrations with Jamf that could better the intelligence-gathering when making business decisions.

I first used Jamf back in 2011 and started using it fulltime in 2018.

We didn't have a previous solution, but we use inTune as another MDM to manage our other devices.

I think the pricing could be a little more cost-effective and maybe the training could be a little bit cheaper but other than that if your org is willing to pay for it it's definitely worth it.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely collaborate with the community. The Jamf nation is huge and always willing to help!

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
BS
System Support Analyst at Alder Creek Middle School
User
Great policy management, lots of API integrations, and helpful technical support

• "With the countless API integrations and Jamf Marketplace add-ons, Jamf is customizable and is a total device management tool for Apple's ecosystem."
  • "There needs to be a mass policy change tool."

What is our primary use case?

We manage macOS and iOS devices using Jamf Pro. We are a K through 12 school district and have single users and shared devices. We use Jamf Pro to set up and keep all our Macs and iOS devices up to date and make sure all our corporation's software is installed. Jamf has the ability to not only deploy configuration profiles but also deploy management policies. This allows for a total deployment tool to manage all aspects of our fleet.

How has it helped my organization?

Jamf has given us the ability to manage and make live changes to our entire fleet at a click of a button. At any time, I can see a user's devices, what their IP is, what apps they have been using, and any pending software updates. This allows us to give real-time updates and reports to management and allows our IT staff to better assist our end-users in our organization.

What is most valuable?

Policy management is very valuable to us. It can do so many things - from setting up accounts to installing new software or just editing a .plist file. It can do it all!

You also have Jamf's recon tool that keeps your inventory up to date and allows you to pull real-time reports of your devices.

What needs improvement?

The mass update management tool could be better. We need the ability to tell Macs on next check-in to run all software updates that are pending and authenticate this via bootstrap and root. It should offer a run-on login window so no client needs to be logged in.

There needs to be a mass policy change tool. We would like the ability to make changes to multiple policies at the same time. For example, 50 Printer policies for different printers. We'd like to be able to change the scope or change the driver on the policy en-masse.

I have been using Jamf Pro for four years.

The product is very scalable! There are tons of API integration and add-ons. Also, Jamf has zero-day support and is always adding new things.

Jamf is fast to reply and if the person you get doesn't know the answer they will stay with you through the process and help you find the answer.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We used Meraki MDM. We switched as it could not do everything we needed and we needed a complete management solution.

New users should make sure they pay to do the onboarding, and then, once onboarded, attend Jamf user groups and join the Jamf Heroes group.

We did not evaluate other options.

Mikael Svensson
Senior consultant at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Distribute packages and scripts, zero-day support for new hardware and operating systems

• "The zero-day support regarding new Apple hardware and Apple operating systems is very good."
  • "The patch management is not automated in any way, and you have to do a lot of manual work to upload the current version of applications."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we resell Jamf Pro, as well as provide managed services, and we are also a support partner. I am also a Jamf integrator and I train people on its usage.

What is most valuable?

The policies make it possible to distribute packages and scripts.

Patch management, even though it's not 100%, is better than most competitors. Jamf bought a company that is much better at patch management, and it will be introduced in the Spring. This is something that I'm looking forward to.

What needs improvement?

The patch management is not automated in any way, and you have to do a lot of manual work to upload the current version of applications. In some cases, you have to repackage it before uploading it. This means that it's a lot of manual work before you can apply the patch policies to clients.

I started working with Jamf Pro between four and five years ago.

This is a stable product.

I have customers that range in size from 25 customers to 25,000 customers, and it works same the same way, regardless. It is scalable.

The technical support is pretty good.

Prior to Jamf Pro, I worked with a product called Absolute Manage. They are now part of Ivanti. They were one of the main players but I don't think that they evolved fast enough. We switched over to Jamf Pro and are very satisfied with it.

As I am the most senior Apple and Jamf consultant at my company, I do not work much with other products. However, VMware Workspace One is the most important competitor.

Jamf is easy to deploy. As soon as you have the instance up and running and the activation code, it's really easy. If you use Apple Business Manager then you don't need to do very much to bring clients into Jamf Pro.

The price difference between Jamf Pro and VMware Workspace One is not very much, but when counting the cost of my time, Jamf Pro is clearly much better.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is interested in this product is to test it. All new customers can get a 30-day trial, and I suggest contacting a reseller.

I cannot see any need for additional features because the vendor is very Apple-focused, and I don't know of anything that can't be managed using Jamf Pro.

Overall, this is a very good product, but nothing is perfect and there are always things that can be better.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Lennart Schwind
System Engineer at ING Deutschland
Easily manage your Apple fleet, allowing for no-touch deployment to end-users

• "If you want to manage macOS devices in your enterprise and want to make it as easy for the user as well as for the administrators, you should use the DEP with Jamf Pro."
  • "The integrated patch feature is good but needs some tweaking."

What is our primary use case?

We manage about 2,300 macs in our enterprise. Most of the devices are used by developers.

Right now, we manage only basics in our mac fleet. Like having a compliant mac, get the VPN Anti Virus, Firewall NoMAD, and other basic software on it. Also, users have the option to get additional software via self-service. So, when a user gets a device from us, it is pretty "vanilla" and they can customize the device themself.

Additionally, we configure the device for printing and proxy usage.

We are aiming to manage a lot more with Jamf, which is certainly possible. At some point, we also want to make the mac available for all users, not just developers. Jamf will immensely help us with this goal.

How has it helped my organization?

Jamf pro gives you the best tool to manage your Apple macOS fleet in your company. Unfortunately, Apple is limiting the way you can manage macs compared to how you manage Windows devices. Therefore you need an elegant strategy to manage your devices. Jamf pro helps you with that. The combination of the Apple MDM commands and the Jamf binary helps you to get the most out of it.

Everything Apple does not enable with MDM commands, you can take care of with scripting and custom policies. With that, your options are almost endless for managing your Apple macOS devices.

I have been using Jamf pro since May 2015 and there is no other vendor who does such great work, helping you succeed with your macOS devices.

What is most valuable?

If you want to manage macOS devices in your enterprise and want to make it as easy for the user as well as for the administrators, you should use the DEP with Jamf Pro. It makes it very easy to deploy a new Apple Mac to a new user. IT does not need to touch the device even once. You could ship it directly from the vendor and all the user needs is an internet connection and their credentials. At the end of the setup, the user has a fully managed and functional Mac to use within the enterprise.

What needs improvement?

The integrated patch feature is good but needs some tweaking. As of now, there is no option for the user to defer the installation of a patch. You can either give them the option to install the patch through self-service, which needs an active part of the user to do it, or you can force the installation. However, with the force of the installation, there is potential data loss, because an App that you want to patch needs to be closed for it to work. The information explaining that the app will be closed for patching is almost not noticeable for the user.

Therefore we do no use the integrated patch management technology and build our own logic to work around it.

We have been using Jamf Pro since May 2015.