JBoss OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

JBoss is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Application Server tools. It is most often compared to IBM WebSphere Application Server: JBoss vs IBM WebSphere Application Server

What is JBoss?
Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform (EAP), a market-leading, fully certified Java EE platform, gives you a single platform to quickly develop and deploy applications. Use traditional Red Hat JBoss EAP to gain business agility with your existing applications and reduce the costs of proprietary platforms.

Download the Application Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

JBoss Customers
Tata Sky, Nissan, Swedish Board of Agriculture, Novamedia, American Product Distributors, Advanced Micro Devices, Emirates Group, E*TRADE
JBoss Video

Archived JBoss Reviews (more than two years old)

PreetiS
Leader -Platform Development & Testing at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It seems to be a well-rounded application server that supports scalability and is easy to set-up and to deploy.

What is most valuable?

I have seen a few implementations where the JBoss application server is used. Initially, the applications were hosted on licensed servers like IBM WebSphere and BEA WebLogic. But, due to the license cost, we advised our client to shift to an open source application server. With open source, we had a choice of going with Apache Tomcat and JBoss. We chose JBoss as it's far more scalable, secure and comes with support from the vendor.

The server supports Windows as well as Linux OS, which is an added advantage. JBoss seems to be a well-rounded application server in the market which supports scalability and is easy to set-up and to deploy.

How has it helped my organization?

Compared to IBM and BEA, JBoss provides the best support in the virtualized environment, and it also comes with multiple configurations which help in easy roll-out of the applications.

The application deployment sometimes can be a tedious task if you are a novice.

The earlier application servers - IBM/BEA - had a very huge license cost. Moreover, the cost went up as we wanted to scale the application for more users.

Also, the application servers comes with poor support in virtualized environment.

Solutions Architect at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The class loader isolation is good, but the deployment of data sources could be improved.

What is most valuable?

The class loader isolation is good.

What needs improvement?

The deployment of data sources could be improved.

I've used it for one and half years.

No issues encountered.

This depends on the load of the server. We did have some issues mainly because of the application itself.

No issues encountered.

I've not used customer service.

I've not used technical support.

We switched because of the nature of the application and technology.

I always design my systems simple and keep them simple as possible.

We implemented it with in-house team. We like to keep the knowledge in-house.

It was crucial and it definitely paid off.

Keep the systems simple. Try to work with open-source solutions and pay for technical support and subscription to support the projects.

Yes, I always and regularly evaluate. In case of Java, we evaluated all applications servers which support JEE full profile.

What other advice do I have?

I was using Apache Tomcat, JBoss AS (RedHat), WebMethods (Software AG) and IIS (Microsoft). All of them have they specialities, but depending on the goals and purpose it’s quiet easy to make a choice. Products based on Microsoft .NET do not give companies lot of options; either with Server Operating System shipped IIS, or the developer version called IIS Express. Applications written in Java, n opposite, can be accommodated on several fully profiled or non-fully-profiled application or web servers.

Only have one application per server if possible. Do not over complicate it, and keep the variance in the configuration simple as possible.

Find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, Oracle, IBM and others in Application Server. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user1221
Database Expert at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Good open source application server at a fraction of the cost

Valuable Features:

This open source Application server is a good choice for Enterprises using J2EE . This gives much better value than Websphere and Weblogic. Easy to setup and self contained software. The product offers advanced J2EE features like queues and topics. Also provides for failover, high availability, support. Webserver can directly communicate with the database, Much cheaper implementation.

Room for Improvement:

Level of customization is low as compared to other competitive products.Runtime diagnostics and DR (Disaster Recovery) features are limited as compared to Weblogic and Websphere. Since oracle now has Weblogic , they are introducing integration of other products like coherence into it.

Other Advice:

We chose JBossas it scales well, supports multiple nodes redundancy and has an integrated Tomcat which can be customized.The price is a big plus and out of the box implementation is good. Most people are skeptical to run Enterprise applications with ope source jboss.
Product Categories
Application Server
Download our free Application Server Report and find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, Oracle, IBM, and more!
Quick Links