JD Edwards EnterpriseOne OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

JD Edwards EnterpriseOne is #1 ranked solution in top Production Planning tools, #2 ranked solution in top Demand Management tools, #5 ranked solution in top Activity Based Costing Software, and #7 ranked solution in top ERP tools. IT Central Station users give JD Edwards EnterpriseOne an average rating of 8 out of 10. JD Edwards EnterpriseOne is most commonly compared to Oracle E-Business Suite: JD Edwards EnterpriseOne vs Oracle E-Business Suite. The top industry researching this solution is Computer Software Company, accounting for 36% of all views.
What is JD Edwards EnterpriseOne?
Oracle's JD Edwards EnterpriseOne is an integrated applications suite of comprehensive enterprise resource planning software that combines business value, standards-based technology, and deep industry experience into a business solution with a low total cost of ownership. EnterpriseOne is the first ERP solution to run all applications on Apple iPad. JD Edwards EnterpriseOne also delivers mobile applications.

Download the ERP Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Customers
TechNova Imaging Systems (P) Ltd, Jordan Petroleum Refinery, Hosun Universal Co. Ltd., Grupo Corporativo Papelera SA de CV, Label Technology Inc., Uniwax S.A., Al Jaber Group, SOMAR Corporation, SICIM S.p.A.,
JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Video

Archived JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Reviews (more than two years old)

AM
Manager at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Leaderboard
It has simplified the process completely, and on par with the other ERPs that are available in the market now.

• "It has simplified the process completely, and even though it has many features which are available in the market now, but it is on par with the other ERPs that are available in the market now."
  • "We do a straight forward, simple plug and play installation so there are no problems technically now."
  • "Originally, there were some complications with implementation."

How has it helped my organization?

It has simplified the process completely, and even though it has many features which are available in the market now, but it is on par with the other ERP software solutions available in the market now.

What is most valuable?

One feature is that J.D. Edwards supports any software it integrates with.

More than five years.

It's a 100% stable product. In past versions, there were issues of instability. But, now it is entirely stable, as long as it is properly maintained and properly implemented.

It can be scalable to any extent. There are no issues and no boundaries. We find for J.D. Edwards to scale. It can serve small medium and large enterprises at the same time.

Originally, there were some complications with implementation. But now, it is very simple to set up and get everything going in a couple of months. Oracle has done tremendous work on improving the issues that we were facing on the J.D. Edwards front, and they fixed all those issues. Now we do a straight forward, simple plug-and-play installation, so there are no problems technically now.

The pricing of this solution costs an arm and a leg. This keeps the customers away from going for J.D. Edwards.

We compared:

We selected JD Edwards because technically it was sound, and commercially, it came at a good price. It was a great value.

What other advice do I have?

When looking for a new product, definitely consider:

• Stability
  • IT technology
  • Value
it_user818793
User
Access and visibility of different business processes on a single UI

What is our primary use case?

Financial management Operations management Integration with distribution and retail software

How has it helped my organization?

Cost management Sales reporting Accounting and manufacturing controls, with a low cost of management, within a very small IT team (less than six people).

What is most valuable?

BI reporting and customization Easy configuration Access and visibility of different business processes on a single UI.

What needs improvement?

Workflow management Integration with IoT solutions Ease of deployment over Microsoft products (aside from Oracle DBMS).

Less than one year.

What is our primary use case?

• Financial management
  • Operations management
  • Integration with distribution and retail software

How has it helped my organization?

• Cost management
  • Sales reporting
  • Accounting and manufacturing controls, with a low cost of management, within a very small IT team (less than six people).

What is most valuable?

• BI reporting and customization
  • Easy configuration
  • Access and visibility of different business processes on a single UI.

What needs improvement?

• Workflow management
  • Integration with IoT solutions
  • Ease of deployment over Microsoft products (aside from Oracle DBMS).

Less than one year.
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, SAP, Microsoft and others in ERP. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Marcelo Pereyra
CIO at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Leaderboard
Expedites flexible personalization and product scalability, although tech support needs enhancement

What is most valuable?

Maximizes the investment via industry focus, flexible personalization, configuration, product scalability, and mobile options.

How has it helped my organization?

Productivity, efficiency, automation and process simplification.

What needs improvement?

All areas across the company, providing a strong platform in order to improve and accelerate business processes.

15 years.

Minor issues.

In a few words, the support is good. The only concern is that they don’t have enough knowledge of AS400 and JDE EOne combination.

The initial setup was mostly quiet.

Some modules are expensive and there is an annual software maintenance cost as well.

What other advice do I have?

It is really important to select the correct partner for implementing this kind of project.

In our case the decision was to split the project into three stages.

1. Procure to Pay Process
  2. Order to Cash Process and finally
  3. Commercial Process.
it_user683469
Functional Consultant & Advisor at a construction company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to set up, user friendly, and continuous functional and technology enhancements.​

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Good example was locating, tracing, and tracking transactions and this wasn’t easy before having the ERP.

What needs improvement?

Customer / Supplier Relationship.

20 years.

I would scale stability 8 out of 10.

Good.

Straightforward in many ways, defining COA, master files, and setting up parameters.

What's my experience with

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Customer / Supplier Relationship.

20 years.

I would scale stability 8 out of 10.

Good.

Customers should look for ERP solution that more or less satisfies their own business requirements.

Microsoft Dynamics.

What other advice do I have?

Customers should have well-defined business processes and workflows regardless of the ERP product.

it_user616518
JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Specialist at a non-tech company
Development tool that provides reporting and online data. The warehouse and logistic systems need improvement.

What is most valuable?

It is user friendly and an easy tool for development.

How has it helped my organization?

Data integrity Fast reporting system Easy access through web explorer Reduces paperwork Online data

What needs improvement?

The warehouse and logistic systems need improvement.

We have been using EnterpriseOne since 2007.

We had system corruption twice. This was fixed by installing the full package and then regenerating it.

We encountered issues with scalability. This was mostly because of our old version, E8.11.

Our company was using AS400 with OS400…

What is most valuable?

It is user friendly and an easy tool for development.

How has it helped my organization?

• Data integrity
  • Fast reporting system
  • Easy access through web explorer
  • Reduces paperwork
  • Online data

What needs improvement?

The warehouse and logistic systems need improvement.

We have been using EnterpriseOne since 2007.

Our company was using AS400 with OS400 with RPG programming. We switched to E8.11 due to limited technical support.

The setup was very complex, since we are still using the AS400 platform with a DB2 database.

We evaluated SAP, but it was more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I always advise people to implement the latest version, regardless of the product.

it_user621828
JD Edward Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The EDI and z-file processing features allow clients to integrate legacy systems.

What is most valuable?

• JDE software development kit, including application design aid, report design aid, data dictionary, table design aid, business view design aid, table conversion, EDI (electronic data interchange), named event rule, C business functions, UPK (user productivity kit), business services.
  • In JDE Version 9.1: E1 pages, one-view reporting, Cafe One, watch list.
  • In JDE Version 9.2: IoT (Internet of Things)

All are valuable features of this product. So, all these features are very important, but from my point of view, I like EDI and z-file processing; these features allow clients to integrate old legacy systems into the JDE Enterprise One System.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization is totally a development team; we have developed applications and report components per client requirements, so as of right now, I would not be able to provide an example of how this product has improved the way my organization functions.

What needs improvement?

Currently, you are not able to copy the NER in the software development framework.

There is also room for improvement in business services and IoT.

I have used it for the last 4.6 years; mostly working from the technical side.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

I think technical support is 10 out of 10.

We did not previously use a different solution.

I don't know about price and licensing but JDE is one of the best software, which satisfies client requirements easily.

I don't know if other products were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

I think JDE would be the best to implement it.

it_user617391
Lead Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We use it for warehouse automation for a logistic company.

How has it helped my organization?

It carries out warehouse automation for a logistic company.

What needs improvement?

The application is growing and should include a lot of improvements over a short period of time.

I have used this solution for around 15 years.

There were no stability issues.

We did not have any scalability issues.

The technical support level is quite good.

This product is an ERP tool. The level of complexity depends on a lot of variables. Generally, it is straightforward.

What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and

How has it helped my organization?

It carries out warehouse automation for a logistic company.

What needs improvement?

I have used this solution for around 15 years.

There were no stability issues.

We did not have any scalability issues.

The technical support level is quite good.

This product is for medium/large companies, i.e., those with sales of more than €20 million.

What other advice do I have?

Find a good IT company to implement it. A project could fail if you don't have the correct partner.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Oracle partners.
it_user613572
JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Consultant with 501-1,000 employees
Enables sales order management. Reporting and dashboards can be improved.

What is most valuable?

The sales order management and manufacturing modules are very extensively used amongst many customers. They are robust and elaborative. These modules cover a wide range of processes that help the way organizations do business in today's world.

How has it helped my organization?

The customers have improved many of their business processes by using this product. They have been profitable in the long run.

What needs improvement?

Reporting and dashboards are the areas that definitely can be improved.

I have been using this solution for the last 12 years.

We have not had stability issues.

We have not had scalability issues.

Technical support is very good.

Neither the installation nor the implementation is straightforward. However, it quick and easy as compared to other ERP products, such as SAP.

I do not know much about pricing and licensing.

What other advice do I have?

This product is the best fit for:

• Small and medium sized enterprises
  • Organizations that use sales order/purchase order management
  • Organizations that have a manufacturing/shop floor
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Oracle Gold partners.
Sibsankar Bhattacharya
Project Manager - JD Edwards at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
ERP system that provides warehouse management, advanced pricing, and sales order management.

What is most valuable?

• Warehouse management
  • Advanced pricing
  • Sales order management
  • Inventory
  • Procurement and subcontracting
  • Bulk stock management
  • Fulfillment management
  • Advanced stock evaluation
  • Environmental accounting and reporting

How has it helped my organization?

Order processing time has been reduced by 30% (KPI metric). There are many such instances that were shared by various clients in my consulting career.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements in:

• Change in grade & potency on volume control (BOM) while issuing a work order
  • Work order approval process
  • Transportation module rate schedule flexibility
  • PO receipt reversal using the EDI process
  • Purchase order approval process
  • Landed cost rule hierarchy definition
  • Account codes that can have legacy description for reporting
  • Sourcing processes with more flexibility and direct relationships with the purchase cycle
  • Self-requisition process approval setup to be made available for the purchase cycle

My experience in JD Edwards has been for about 17 years. I worked with almost all the versions of JD Edwards: WorldSoft, OneWorld XE, and EnterpriseOne.

We had stability issues, but Oracle support resolved them.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

As a consultant, I have been involved with many successful JD Edwards implementations. The changes were for the better.

The setup was complex for the most part. In a few cases, it was simple.

The ROI is good.

In pre-sales, we used to appraise our clients on the strengths and weaknesses of the product.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a good ERP system that gives users ease-of-use, the flexibility to integrate with other systems, and the ability to meet most of the KPIs.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We have business relationship with Oracle and SAP.
it_user607824
Systems Architect at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Generates financial reports that are aligned with business expectations. I would like to see improvements in GL, AP, AR, and the sales and supply chain.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is customization through E1 tools because Oracle JDE is neither prepared nor updated in time for Latin America localizations.

How has it helped my organization?

Financial reports are clearer and better aligned with business expectations.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the following:

• Improvements in GL, AP, AR and sales and supply chain
  • A standard solution for the deployment server to automate, assemble, build, and deploy packages by schedule. We need to develop or look for third party solutions. The same goes for E1 Pages.
  • An easier setup

We have used this solution for five years.

We did have some stability issues. We currently use IBM WebSphere 7.1 and it sometimes does not look like it is 100% compatible.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would give technical support a rating of 7/10.

We used to work with JDE World Software Version A7.3. We changed because the business required more advanced technology functions like mobility and financial reporting.

The setup was absolutely straightforward. It was mostly on the end-user paradigm from using the Word software (green screen) to a web-based application.

Find a way to manage licenses wisely. Negotiate it as best as you can with your provider because it is very expensive.

We evaluated SAP and Oracle EBS.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate the known issues, implement the most stable tool releases, and keep your ASUs/ESUs up-to-date.

it_user607404
Application Analyst at a manufacturing company
Provides easy maintenance, fast development times, and complete modules. It supports multiple OSs.

What is most valuable?

• Easy maintenance
  • Fast development
  • Very complete modules
  • Multi-platform
  • Multi-languages
  • Multi-currency
  • Completely configurable
  • Integration with mobile applications
  • Web services
  • and more.

How has it helped my organization?

File management is easy to obtain. We do not need to spend user time to sort the information.

Gives us better work-floor management and easy integration with scanners, dispatch, etc.

EnterpriseOne has been the product that allows us to focus on our products and not on our ERP, and this means a lot.

What needs improvement?

Project management and CRM. Oracle has another solution for these areas. These functional areas of ERP are not on top of the market. You will need to purchase a specific solution.

I have used EnterpriseOne for eight years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability when the system is updated by people who do understand the road-map and the product. With EnterpriseOne, you need to have good developers to keep up the performance of the system. All companies need adjustments and developments, but they must be performed taking as a reference 'the future' of the products, retrofits, updates, etc. Then you can be updated every two years and not getting stacked into a version.

We have not really had any scalability issues.

Oracle has improved a lot. This was a pending subject I when I raised my first service request to Oracle and it took months to get an answer. Nowadays, I am getting a web conference, call, or an email after sending my request. My last issue was solved within two weeks (a tricky one). This is an 4/5 to me.

To be a great competitor, you need to be surrounded by the best employees, best products, best service and best technology and, from my point of view, Oracle is doing this very well.

EnterpriseOne can be multi-platform. That means you can have two servers on Linux, one on Windows and the last one could be an AS400. This complexity cannot be provided for by another product. My initial setup was complex, but the architecture was very complex, too. After that, I have had multiple easy setups. The best way to achieve this is to choose only one OS for your servers; otherwise it could be a nightmare.

This is a product for medium to large companies. It is not cheap, but it is not expensive. You must be able to analyze the price of maintenance, consultancy, times to develop a solution, etc. The first invoice is not the most important. This is a long time relationship (Company+ERP).

• Navision
  • SAP
  • OpenBravo

What other advice do I have?

Ask for demo's, because maybe my vision is not your vision. The best way to know the product is to ask for small demo's.

it_user543966
Manager - Information Systems
The robust supply chain model reduces the need for customization. The report development tools need more GUI interfaces.

What is most valuable?

Robust supply chain model: This greatly reduces the need for customization via code changes.

How has it helped my organization?

It incorporates industry specific standards thereby inculcating a process oriented work culture.

What needs improvement?

The report development tools needs more GUI interfaces and it needs to be more user centric. There is another view reporting tool that works on these guidelines.

I have been using EnterpriseOne for 18 years.

We have not had much issue with stability.

We have not had any scalability issues.

I rate technical support 4/5.

We were using something else. We switched to meet business demands.

Licensing is a bit complex, especially after it was acquired by Oracle.

We looked at SAP.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a good and configurable product. Need to ensure that the business hires the right resources to implement it.

it_user585459
Application Manager at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Helps to provide technical and functional flexibility across the Enterprise. I would summarize improvements needed by saying it needs increased control.

What is most valuable?

I find the following features to be most valuable:

• Technical and functional flexibility.
  • Ability to change when the client needs to grow.

How has it helped my organization?

The improvements, I could summarize in one word: Increased control. This is true for the following areas

• Inventory
  • Costs
  • Finance
  • Plant Maintenance
  • Fixed assets
  • Legal documents

In addition, its flexibility has enabled us to change its original configuration to better our business.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the following:

• Improvement to the procedure for installing and updating the JD Edwards application.
  • Classification of documents of installation of ESUs, by:
    • Those with special instructions.
    • Creation of tables.
    • Special instructions for "Locations".

I have used it for 22 years.

There were stability issues, and part of the job, is to offer a stable platform. We followed the following process stages:

• Evaluated.
  • Tested.
  • Scaled to Oracle, when required.
  • Evaluated options.
  • Implement in production.

There are always scalability issues. But, as a JD Edwards technician, I support the hardware sales, and I am responsible for performing Dimensioning (or "Platform Sizing") platform.

Technical support are A1; the best.

I am a specialist and use an appropriate solution according to the needs of the business.

Setup can be complex. I have worked with complicated products such as JD Edwards, considering their variety of options to configure and variety of providers involved. The secret is to have the proper documentation and support from the manufacturer and of course, constancy.

This product is like every other application, in this business area. So, in each instance, the important thing is to do the following:

• Determine the scope of the need.
  • Functionality of the application.
  • What the application offers to grow?
  • How can I adjust its price per budget.

For example, limiting the ability to grow the application with the business, will lead to implementing a new application in the future. (This will cost more).

I have evaluated many other products, which offer the same functionality but they really had a high (price / benefit) relationship.

What other advice do I have?

This application is multi-platform so select the one where your systems personnel, has more experience.

You must commit, to all departments of the company in the implementation.

It should be placed in the same area for all the consultants and their staff.

Remember, this is a project that requires:

• Document Reach.
  • Commit resources.
  • Follow-up of commitments.
it_user452361
Director, ERP Sustainment at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Video Review
The most valuable feature is the scope of functionality that it covers.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is the scope of functionality that JD Edwards covers. You could start small with something like financials and HR payroll, and you can expand it to be used for asset maintenance, distribution, manufacturing. It also comes with a development tool set so that you can add onto it fairly easily.

Improvements to My Organization

It's quite cost-effective in comparison with other ERPs. The rest of them are all expensive.

Room for Improvement

They could enhance the reporting tools. We've been looking for a joint venture billing solution, which is actually on the road map, so it's coming.

It's very stable. It's been around for 30 years or so. EnterpriseOne came out in the mid-90s, so that makes it over 20 years old, but they continually add new features and functionality all the time.

It's also very good. It runs on different platforms, so you can pick and choose which hardware system you would like for whatever scale of company you are. I used to work for a very large oil company that ran it for about 15,000 people. I know that there's companies larger than that, as well.

I personally haven't used it recently, but folks on my team have, and the answer is always, "It depends." If it's a fairly straightforward answer, they're very good at pointing you to wherever the technical documentation is so that you can look it up yourself again next time. If it's complex, or there's some debate on whether the item is a bug or functioning as designed, it does take quite some time to get through that, and from a customer perspective, sometimes you have to be pretty persistent.

Other Solutions Considered

A lot of it is the partnership. Lots of vendors are willing to sell you a product, but then aren't there when something goes wrong. It really needs to be a relationship for the long term when you're looking for the solution, as well as meeting all of the functional requirements that you have.

Other Advice

I would rate it a 9, because it's the best in the ERPs, as far as I'm concerned, but it's never perfect, so it will never be a 10.

Definitely give JD Edwards a chance, and make sure you talk to other JD Edwards customers before you make your decision.

it_user436170
IT Specialist at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
The programming language is certainly understandable and manageable for someone at my level. I'm not a programmer all the time but I make mods to the software to support the needs of the business.

Valuable Features:

The programming language is the most valuable feature for me. I'm all about flexibility so that I can respond to what my users need. The fact that we have the capabilities to do our own customizations is huge. The programming language is certainly understandable and manageable for someone at my level. I'm not a programmer all the time but I make mods to the software to support the needs of the business. The interface for making the mods and things like that is straightforward enough and it works. That's very handy.

Improvements to My Organization:

We're a very small company, so having one product that can run basically almost every aspect of our business is very valuable. There's one thing to manage, one conference to attend. We run everything. We don't have very many third-party apps bolted on.

There's also a time-savings element, and a frustration with the data interface. I've been in the industry for a long time and came before JD Edwards from a situation where we had a number of so-called best-of-breed. Then as IT, you're constantly moving data back and forth and that lends its own set of complications and problems and disconnects. JD Edwards has mitigated a lot of that.

Room for Improvement:

I have found a couple of bugs in my career, but more often it's just a missing functionality or inconsistent interface. I think their Transportation Management module, that's one of the bolt-ons that we have, is very limited. That would probably be my main complaint. We had to buy another solution to address that.

I'm part of the TechSig and I thought it was kind of funny that the top thing on our TechSig list is to bypass the OK button because every time you run a report, it comes up to the "do you want to change your printer?" screen and a user must click OK. It is one of those silly things and it's just an extra click, but it's unnecessary. Yet, it's been there for 20 years probably! That's just a small example.

Use of Solution:

We implemented it in 2001.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no real issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

I would have to say no, definitely no major issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

As far as scalability goes, we're a very small company, but we were able to implement the portions of the program that we needed. Other than that okay button for the printing, we're able to bypass features that we don't need because we're not a big company. And because of the way it's designed with processing options and version and things like that, we can tailor it for our business needs. As we've grown, we've added new functionalities and we've done a few mods.

So it's been growing with us. I think we have a long ways to go. We're still a small company and we were probably the smallest customer at the time when we implemented. We're probably not anymore, but we're still very small as far as the arena, so we have a long ways to go before we outgrow it.

Initial Setup:

At the time, JD Edwards had completely rewritten their software, and I understand that now. I hadn't been exposed to it before. It was very cohesive at the time, I thought, for software. Sometimes you use software and you can almost tell, "oh, this module was bolted on and re-patched, but it clearly was written by a different group with a different focus." Whereas, JD Edwards at the time was all written fairly together with a new vision. I would say that the implementation was pretty good.

Other Advice:

It's definitely fulfilled most of our business needs. The flexibility is really number one up there. I have only worked a little bit with other ERP systems, such as SAP, and JD Edwards surpasses that.

When you're comparing JD Edwards to any other tool, look at the flexibility. Look at the capabilities to change it, for it to grow with you as a company, for it to support business needs that you don't need now, but you're going to need in the future. That's very important.

it_user436119
IT and Purchasing Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows remote access from a location away from where it's hosted and is more robust than our previous solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is its robustness, especially coming from the system we had before because it can do so many more things. For example, we can drill down into the data a lot more. That's a huge advantage for us.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm coming out of the Canadian office, and the overall system is hosted out of our US office, which is considerably larger. The Canadian office is a small operation, but we have a system that a company of our size should not be able to afford. We're getting a lot more toys, bells, whistles and stuff like that that we would not otherwise be able to afford. It's helped us tremendously that JD Edwards allows remote access from a location away from where it's hosted.

What needs improvement?

It's got a steep learning curve. There's a lot of terminology, a lot of extra setup stuff that seems a little complicated and a little bit of extra work that doesn't always seem very necessary. For somebody who understands it a little better, they're going to know why all that extra work was there, but I'm not.

There seemed to be screen after screen of data and attributes. I guess they all have a purpose, but we haven't found what that is because we don't necessarily mine the data or back any of it out. We just don't feel like it's worth the effort right now.

It's rock solid. We've had no issues with instability.

It's been able to scale for our needs and we've had no issues with scaling.

We were previously using Microsoft Dynamics GP and it was not as robust. It was a great place to put data into but a little hard to get data out of. It's much easier to get data out with JD Edwards.

The initial setup took about six to eight months, so it was accelerated. It was essentially all my time for about six or eight months, but it came in on time, on budget, etc., so obviously a lot of thanks to our US office for all their help in getting it done. They've used it for many, many years, so it was just adding a new branch into the software and getting us up to speed. It could have been complex, but because our US office was already using it, it was much simpler.

What other advice do I have?

It's forced us to adhere to business processes, where we were a little loose with our previous ERP. It's a little bit more rigid, and in my opinion, that's not a bad thing. It might seem scary at first, but it's not so bad. Not a lot of other advice to give, but it was a good project for us and it's helped our business. It's great from that perspective.

it_user436128
Maintenance Planner at St. Michelle Wine Estates

Valuable Features:

Transparency in being able to see my data is the most valuable feature. As a maintenance planner, it helps me organize myself and other people, which JD Edwards does in a user-friendly way. We can take it down to somebody probably not very tech-savvy and as well as take it to my technicians. We can show them how to use it.

We're moving away from paper and it's really, really a tough thing in the maintenance world to move away from that. The thing I like about JD Edwards is, we can give somebody an iPad or we could give them a screen and they can sit down and organize everything. We're bringing everybody up to the 21st century. We can see what's going on live, my managers can see what we're doing on a day-to-day basis, hour-to-hour if they need to. JD Edwards lets us do all that.

Improvements to My Organization:

We have three different processes with three different software packages. The reason we're going to JD Edwards is that we can unify these systems. We have 7i which is what our maintenance is underneath, and then for a lot of our financials we use SAP. When we go to JD Edwards, we're all underneath one umbrella, everything ties together. That's the world that I came out of from my last company and so we're trying to bring everybody in, so that I can sit and look at it and I don't have to go to another screen to see my budgets or for ordering my parts, for making work orders, for tying everything together, for my receiving, on my POS. I can see exactly where we're at financially when we're doing business; we can see where we're at right down to the hours it's taking us to do it and how much that's costing us. Everything's under one umbrella and so that's why we're going to JD Edwards. It's just incredible for efficiency.

Room for Improvement:

When it comes to work scheduling in their maintenance module, it could be better. Having come from different platforms at different companies I've seen better. I think it could be more intuitive, and I struggle with training my people on how to use it. I can use it and so can and there are several of us that do just fine and great with it, but when it comes to the average person, it's a real struggle. We say, "OK, now you're going to have this job and this is what you're going to do," and that's the one. Of all the things we train them to do in JD Edwards to help us with our business, that's the one we struggle with, is that training right there.

Deployment Issues:

We're just beginning to implement it, but so far we've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

I'm new enough that I haven't seen any issues, but I had no stability at my last place either.

Scalability Issues:

It came out of the box and that's how we do our business. We haven't really had to scale it yet.

Initial Setup:

We have a lot to do, and I'm new to the company as I've only been there for two months. Because it's a brand-new company and it's a robust advance in our software, we're going to stay away from customization as much as we can. We want to keep it as vanilla as we can.

But from what I've seen, it's straightforward because we're keeping it more vanilla, and that's one of the reasons that for those of us who've used JD Edwards, it gives us the opportunity to do a lot more and we don't have to customize as much. We want to stay away because when we upgrade, as we will, then you have to take your customizations with you and we want to stay away from that as much as we can.

Implementation Team:

We implemented it ourselves with out in-house team.

Other Advice:

The one thing they could look at is, how are they doing their business now, and if you're doing business from my end in maintenance, the good news about JD Edwards is that it interfaces completely with Microsoft. My advice is, learn everything that's there. You have all this power and all these powerful features, so train yourself and train your people.

it_user436017
Owner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees

Valuable Features:

The most valuable feature that I've found is that once it's configured, it's easy to use and maintain from a user standpoint. It's not something you have to keep re-configuring or programming because it breaks often. It's all-around, from implementation and maintenance points-of-view, a nice solution. Historically, JD Edwards is very good at absorbing those types of features into its new product releases.

Improvements to My Organization:

From an organizational perspective, it obvious that the ease-of-use and ease-of-maintenance aspects of JD Edwards provides us with greater efficiency and, ultimately, cost savings. This is huge for us.

Room for Improvement:

My concern is that it's not keeping pace with what's happening in the real world. Technology's moving on so quickly that the software is struggling to keep up. The company's not really investing enough in the product for additional innovations. For example, it needs to be updated as it looks the same as it did 10 years ago. The UI needs an update and now people are going to buy third-party products more because those are better than JD Edwards at doing specific tasks. Another example of this is that you need to have a third-party tool for reporting and you have to integrate it.

Use of Solution:

We implemented it in 1999.

Deployment Issues:

The deployment was fairly issues-free. The important part was getting it configured correctly and suitable for our needs.

Stability Issues:

There are some issues with stability. It's actually hard to get JD Edwards to fix anything anymore. You get the functions as designed a lot of the times, and the user groups struggle to try and get stuff fixed.

Scalability Issues:

It's scalable. You can start with a very small company, add bits to it, and it grows naturally with what your requirements are. Disks are cheap and you can use the same JD Edwards software as you get more complicated. The software gets more complicated with your requirements. It tries to answer everybody's needs as much as it can. You can sit on almost any platform, add more disc, add more users, and the product works very well whether you've got 10, 100, or 1000. Obviously, there's a cost associated with that, but straight out of the box, it's a very scalable tool.

Initial Setup:

It's relatively straightforward to configure. We only wanted core financials at the time. We've grown since then, and as we've acquired more companies. As our business has grown, we have added a lot more to the solution and a lot more complexity. And we've been able to do that quite efficiently over the years, and that's one of the good things about JD Edwards. You don't have to keep revisiting the box and  the instruction manual, because you can just add stuff as you go.

Other Advice:

It's a good attempt at answering everybody's needs. You can never be perfect on every piece of application. JD Edwards, for the last 30 years, has tried its best to be as much of an answer to everything you require, and they've done a very good job of it.

Any leg work you can do at the beginning to prepare your organization, your executives, and the information that you need to get out of a software company would benefit you greatly. All of that work pays dividends in the long run. You don't get surprises, you don't get led down the garden path by somebody who thinks they know better.

Talk to people. Talk to as many people as you can. Come to user groups. Be a prospective customer. It's all about that preparation work. Even if you have to recruit somebody into your business that's done it before, it's all about finding that information to begin with.

it_user436011
IT Director at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
We have multiple business segments and it allows us to integrate modules across those segments.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature would be the fact that it is a ERP system that has all of its modules fully integrated without the use of middleware. We use the manufacturing modules extremely heavily.

Improvements to My Organization

We have multiple business segments and JD Edwards allows us to integrate modules across those segments. It gives us a seamless communication process, if you will. It's been a choice of management that we use single-source JD Edwards. We try not to go find best-of-breeds, but if it's in JD Edwards, use it.

Room for Improvement

This is an interesting question because they've been making improvements continuously over the last 25 years. That's one of the things that has caused JD Edwards to sustain itself. Where they might be able to make added improvements are probably in specialized features. If you have something that is a specialized industry use, then focus more on that. Just like this last year, the Oil & Gas SIG got together and they said, "Well, people who do downhole drilling, they do rental tools. They actually need a module that would enable them to be able to rent assets." So the SIG put together a proposal to Oracle for a developed rental tools module. Oracle heard them and they actually took it and they put it together, so in release 9.1, there is a petroleum-based rental tool module.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for 28 years. I started on 34 and I was using JD Edwards, so I've been through 34, 36, 38, AS/400, Windows Platform.

We had the normal amount of bugs that you'd have when you roll something out. They have a fairly good change management process and a process for being able to roll out bug fixes. We get constant notification for things that are done that will make improvements. They are all taken advantage of, if we so choose.

They've been continuously improving the stability over the last 25 years.

We own all licenses for our SIG-code industry. Everything that has to do with oil & gas and chemicals, we own all the modules. We've expanded to the point where we've bought everything. We're able to scale without any issue.

Technical support is very good.

JD Edwards is a configurable software solution. They provide you with the ability to be able to configure the software so that you can run your business in the manner that you choose. It could be summarized to say, "You don't have to change the way you run your business to run with the software. It's the opposite. The software wraps around your business." It's as complex or as straightforward as you make it.

Other Advice

Make sure you get reference checks. Check with other companies that are using the software in the manner in which you would like to use it for. What were their pitfalls? What are their successes? How well has it resounded, once it's been implemented for two years, five years? A lot of software works well the first go around, but they fail after that, so you want to make sure.

it_user436056
LATIS Area Manager - North America at a renewables & environment company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Every module has some particular value depending on who the type of user is.

Valuable Features

Every single module has some particular value depending on who the type of user is. For example, the Address Book is a master data feature. It offers a lot of different types of credits and collections. It allows you to hone in on the credit holds, allows you to be specific if you need some customer statements, or provides reminder letters. It allows you different cross-language functionality, which we need across the different countries that we're in. It allows you to have different payment terms. It has this Address Book by line of business, so that if you had multiple business units, you could hone in on each credit and collection based upon each business unit specific, while using the same, single customer.

Improvements to My Organization

The product is pretty spot on. The nicest feature that I love about Address Book, and just JD Edwards in general, is that it always gives you an inquiry screen before you actually add an order entry, and it always allows you. But before you delete something, it always questions you, "Are you sure you really want to do this?" No matter what version you're in, it always asks you that -- tried and true.

Room for Improvement

There's a lot of patches and bugs that come along when you're doing your upgrade that were not found or hidden during the user-acceptance testing. So now there's a lot of base lines that have to be applied, so that's rather disappointing.

Use of Solution

We've been on JD Edwards for a while now. It was on our previous platform, and it was used by most of our regions, so this was decided back in 2008.

We've had no issues with deployment.

I just went live with an upgrade, so it's not stable. We have tons of disconnects. We just went up on the Oracle Cloud, and it has horrendous stability, with internet browser issues, compatibility issues, and we're trying to determine if it is on the network side of my local network or is it on the Oracle side.

We're still investigating whether it will scale. We've only been live for six weeks, so it's a critical product that's being highly reviewed. But we're taking it one step at a time.

If it's critical and we keep raising it, as long as there's a ticket, technical support will respond to us. Even if we go to the top of Oracle, they still need a ticket. Then they'll double-check your work, and so they really want it to be specific before they'll actually proceed with anything else.

The initial setup is complex because you're going up on the cloud. Coming from where we were before to where we are now took us about two-and-a-half years.

Other Advice

I'd encourage others to use it, but I've been using JD Edwards for a very long time. Others would choose an SAP product over this because they over a full-blown solution. If your data isn't aligned and you don't have all the garbage taken out, you're going to end up with the same bad system you had before you implemented it.

it_user436035
IT Analyst at a paper AND forest products with 501-1,000 employees
I know how to navigate around it and to find everything I need, as opposed to having to go outside the system.

What is most valuable?

I like JD Edwards as I was in on the ground floor with it. I learned it from the bottom up, so I think it's easy to use. I know how to navigate around it and to find everything I need, as opposed to having to go outside the system and the way we've set it up in our company.

What needs improvement?

If you're honest about it, users are never 100% happy. They always think, "oh, this was better than that," but it's hard to come up with one single thing or a couple of small things.

We've done customizations within JD Edwards that aren't part of the out-of-the-box solution. This is one area that could be improved -- the features that can be changed to fit your own organization.

We went live with JD Edwards about nine years ago in March of 2007.

I don't recall having any issues with deployment. As far as I can remember, it deployed without issues.

As far as stability goes, there's been the occasional downtime, but not anything that we haven't been able to handle beyond our scheduled outages, and those usually run fairly consistently.

About a year ago, we did an upgrade where we brought on two new facilities, so we had two existing plant locations and we upgraded our system and then brought them all online within a month. We added probably double the amount of users within a month and we didn't experience any system downtime as a result. As far as I know, they might have and not told us. I was still a user at that time. So, from my perspective, we've had no issues with scalability.

I have not personally used technical support, but I haven't heard anything negative from the team that has.

We were on an AS/400 system prior to this. Then the company that owned us at the time had to get off of that system and bring it on to a new system and they decided to go with JD Edwards.

I don't know as I wasn't involved in the setup. I haven't heard that it was particularly complex.

What other advice do I have?

You have to consider all options, but you have to know your business well, that is, what you're processes are and how the software will best fit your business needs in the most straightforward way. If you're in a manufacturing facility and you only make five products, and you don't need a lot of customization because you're more specialized, it might be easier. I think that's a big thing to know, know your requirements and what you're looking for to make sure that the software will fit within your business requirements.

it_user1221
Database Expert at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Comprehensive warehouse management features, quick setup and good integration with PeopleSoft.

Valuable Features:

Proven Warehouse management software available now from Oracle. There are a large number of installations and the software covers most aspects of warehouse and inventory management. You can get all standard features from picking and packing lists to label printing and interfaces to shipping companies like UPS and Fedex.

Room for Improvement:

The software is highly modular and thereby exposes the risk of different implementation choices for each module. Some customization is needed for scanning devices which may be different at each installation. Since it is a package software, the number of database objects are too many and their names are very cryptic.

Other Advice:

Overall a good software and allows for a quick operational setup. Try to choose Linux operating system setup for all it's modules. It is quite difficult to find many experienced people trained to handle JD Edwards implementation. Works well with other Oracle software like PeopleSoft.
Download our free ERP Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, SAP, Microsoft, and more!