Jenkins OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Jenkins is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Build Automation tools. It is most often compared to Tekton: Jenkins vs Tekton

What is Jenkins?

Jenkins is an award-winning application that monitors executions of repeated jobs, such as building a software project or jobs run by cron.

Jenkins Buyer's Guide

Download the Jenkins Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Jenkins Customers

Airial, Clarus Financial Technology, cubetutor, Metawidget, mysocio, namma, silverpeas, Sokkva, So Rave, tagzbox

Jenkins Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Jenkins pricing:
  • "Jenkins is a free open-source server."
  • "The solution is one of the lowest costs compared to competitors."
  • "There is no cost. It is open source."

Jenkins Reviews

KT
Software Engineering Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Supports most of the open-source plug-ins, has the auto-schedule feature, and does not trigger a build when there is no change

• "The auto-schedule feature is valuable. Another valuable feature is that Jenkins does not trigger a build when there is no change in any of the systems. Jenkins also supports most of the open-source plug-ins."
  • "There are a lot of things that they can try to improvise. They can reduce a lot of configurations. It is currently supporting Groovy for scripting. It would be really good if it can be improvised for Python because, for most of the automation, we have Python as a script. It would be good if can also support Python. We have a lot of Android builds. These Android builds can be a part of Jenkins. It can have some plug-ins or configurations for Android builds. There should also be some internal matrix to check the performance. We also want to have more REST API support, which is currently not much in Jenkins. We are not able to get more information about running Jenkins. More REST API support should be provided."

What is our primary use case?

We are an automotive infotainment software provider. Our products are for infotainment. We have displays or music systems that are dealing with the Android operating system, and we are using Jenkins for some of the jobs.

We have two deployment models. One is on-premises, and the other one is the private cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

As an organization, we have multiple products and variants. For example, a customer or OEM has multiple car lines or brands. There is a common platform, and Jenkins is helping with the source code. From this common platform, each of the variants is taken for the build. We don't need to build and test.

We get to see the results, and it is also useful to see the status in terms of success, failure, or any issue. We are able to get the status for a variant. It is connected to other dashboards such as Grafana, and we are able to see everything in one place.

It has been helpful in monitoring the progress and understanding how the daily build is happening. It gives us confidence that the products that we have built are shippable. We are able to get the status of whether a product is shippable or has a problem. This is the advantage that we have from an organizational standpoint.

What is most valuable?

The auto-schedule feature is valuable. Another valuable feature is that Jenkins does not trigger a build when there is no change in any of the systems. Jenkins also supports most of the open-source plug-ins.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of things that they can try to improvise. They can reduce a lot of configurations. It is currently supporting Groovy for scripting. It would be really good if it can be improvised for Python because, for most of the automation, we have Python as a script. It would be good if can also support Python.

We have a lot of Android builds. These Android builds can be a part of Jenkins. It can have some plug-ins or configurations for Android builds. There should also be some internal matrix to check the performance.

We also want to have more REST API support, which is currently not much in Jenkins. We are not able to get more information about running Jenkins. More REST API support should be provided.

I have been using this solution for almost six years.

It has been pretty stable. We haven't faced any issues. If you are running Jenkins in any lower hardware, or your machine or hardware is not that compatible, you might see some memory or Java issues. If you are running Jenkins in a good hardware environment, you don't see any problem. When you have the right hardware and proper memory, there is no problem.

Scalability is one of the challenging parts. Before the Docker area, we had a lot of challenges in terms of scaling because in one product, we had version 2.215, and in another product, we had a different version. If you want to migrate from one version to another or if you want to pull a different product, it took some time. It took two weeks time to set it up in a different environment. With the help of Kubernetes and Docker, we are able to spin off a couple of clusters with the Jenkins master. It is helping us a lot.

We have around 4,000 users for multiple Jenkins. We are a product-based company. Our products are built daily by using Jenkins. Out of 4,000, 60% of the users are using it for development and continuous release purposes. It is also used for nightly builds.

For support, we have only reached out to the open-source community. We find information on the web, and with trial and error, we are able to solve problems.

If you get any licensed product, you get support, but with open-source solutions, you don't get such support. So, we are fully dependent on the Jenkins community and people with some experience for fixing the issues.

It is straightforward. We have the software, and we create a Docker file. We use Jenkins as a master for our project, and we also build all plug-ins and create one Docker image. We give a single command to some administrative people to install the master.

In terms of deployment duration, we have an automated Docker setup, which hardly takes one day. The manual method would take a week.

There are a lot of frequent virtual updates from Jenkins. If there is a change, we put it into our Docker container, and then we will check and confirm it, which is a good part. If you are not going for Docker, there is a short maintenance period. For example, one version might support a plug-in, but another version might not support the same plug-in. In such a case, we have to deprecate the plug-in and go for another part.

We have 24/7 IT support at the global level. For any issues, we are able to take help. For master, we have one person dedicated not only to Jenkins but also to other deployments and technologies.

We tried CircleCI and Concourse, but we went ahead with Jenkins.

What other advice do I have?

For a person who wants to get started with Jenkins, I would advise initially deploying Docker with Jenkins. You can also create a shared library in Jenkins. You should have some basic knowledge of the Groovy script.

I would rate Jenkins an eight out of ten.

AshutoshSharma
Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use with clear documentation and good dashboards

• "The initial setup is simple."
  • "We cannot change the ownership of any directory or file or any kind of directory."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a build automation tool.

If we have to do some automation, we have to deploy the code on a server, and on the production server, so we can create a Jenkins pipeline, which we can call from Jenkins itself. Therefore, whenever we want to deploy the code on a server, on the production server, we use the Jenkins pipeline.

How has it helped my organization?

Within the organization, we have to manage nine applications as DevOps engineers. My expertise is in Unix, so whenever they need any Unix-related help, I'm on it. Okay. For all the nine teams I have to maintain their tasks. It is up to me and I can use Jenkins, Ansible, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

From a deployment perspective, we don't require any passwords or any permissions and all. Everything we can do from Jenkins.

Whenever something fails, so we have the facility to check the logs. Based on that, we can find the solutions and we can fix things.

The initial setup is simple.

The stability of Jenkins is good.

The dashboards are very good.

The solution has been very easy to use.

We have found that the solution offers very good, very clear documentation. Everything is laid out well and easy to explain to a new user.

What needs improvement?

There are some 13 commands that we cannot run for Jenkins. For those particular commands, for the smallest small command (not the bigger task at a deeper level), for example, a copy command, we cannot run it from Jenkins. We cannot change the ownership of any directory or file or any kind of directory. In that case, we have a dependency on, for example, Ansible. There are some limited commands in Jenkins.

I joined this current organization in November of 2019. From November 2019 onwards, I've been using this. It's been approximately two years at this point.

The solution has been very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze.

In some cases, it is a very reliable solution and tool. We had some dependencies, however, we have another solution for those dependencies. Whenever we do not have any dependencies somewhere else, we can use Jenkins.

I've never attempted to scale Jenkins.

My team has nine applications. Our organization has between 250 to 300 people. Many people are using the product. I'm not sure how many teams we have, however, I am sure that all the teams are using Jenkins.

I don't directly deal with technical support. Typically, I create a ticket, however, usually,  I try troubleshooting from my end. If the issue is not from our end, we have to raise a GR ticket and it takes approximately 24 to 48 hours to get it resolved, or for them to actually get in touch with us.

In my company, we also have a Sharepoint that contains troubleshooting documentation that is quite helpful.

I was previously using Ansible.

The solution offers easy deployment. We just need to follow some steps and we have to give some URL paths and that's all. It's not time-consuming.

Initially, we do the setup for a particular or one particular task. If whenever we get a request in the future and based on the task, we just make a copy of that initial task and we do the minor changes and in that way, we can implement new tasks very easily.

We have a Jenkins central team. Whenever they upgrade, they send us a notification. A separate team handles the upgrade.

We are able to implement the solution for our clients.

I understand that the licensing is renewed about once a year. The pricing itself is fine. I wouldn't describe it as being overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using.

I'm just using this tool to automate items for my teams. Whenever my team requires my help, I support them.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations, however, it depends on the requirement and what exactly the users need.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
Learn what your peers think about Jenkins. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VR
Cloud Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Beneficial plugin integration, useful elastic management, and reliable

• "Jenkins can be used for elastic management, if you have any sensitive data or credentials you can use them across the environment. Additionally, the solution is easy to use and can be used across multiple use cases."
  • "The solution could improve by having more advanced integrations."

What is our primary use case?

There are many use cases for Jenkins. We have an AWS infrastructure in which we have created templates for the provisioning of the infrastructure, and for the infrastructure network appliance, we use Jenkins.

For the builds, we use Docker images, Maven, Gradle, and other builds. We send all the build environments to the Artifactory Servers running Jenkins.

For any deployments to the systems, such as any standalone machines, Kubernetes cluster, or Auto Scaling groups, we use the Jenkins.

If a Kubernetes cluster is ready and you want to have other external configurations we use Jenkins for all of the configuration setups.

Jenkins can be used to check vulnerabilities of any system or Docker images.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features I have found are it can integrate other services as a plugin. For example, if you want to integrate GitHub, or third-party tools, such as Prisma scan, you can have them as plugins and you start using them.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having more advanced integrations.

I have been using Jenkins for approximately four years.

The solution is stable. However, if you have any network interruption or any server failure it will not be stable.

I have used the stand-alone Jenkins systems and I have other slaves configured with different systems or Docker containers and it has been operating well.

The scalable depends on the environment, if you want to have scalability it is possible. However, if there was a specific option to scale Jenkins systems it would be great.

We have approximately 250 users using this solution.

I have not used the technical support from Jenkins but I have used the online forums which have been helpful in answering questions.

I have previously used GitLab and Azure DevOps tools. I have found them both to be more complicated than Jenkins and this is why I switched. I am more familiar with Jenkins and this is another factor of why I use it.

The installation is straightforward. All you have to do is update your repository and then install it. There are certain configurations needed after the installation, such as providing the secret key, accessing the server, managing the user access for separate groups, for example, development, performance, and QA groups all need different access levels assigned. It does not take more than 10 minutes.

We did the implementation ourselves. Additionally, we can create scripts to do the configurations, this reduces the time needed for us to do them individually.

I am a DevOps engineer and we configure or automate deployments, schedule deployments, and then giving access to certain teams, such as the QA teams. They login in the morning and then if they want any new deployments, they can get it done.

There is a development team to a certain environment, such as test environments, where they can test their code. They have a particular job and can do the deployments by themselves.

Jenkins is a free open-source server.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Jenkins a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Mike Colarusso
Head of Infrastructure at DriveWealth Technologies
A great open community; has enabled our company to move to full automation

• "Has enabled full automation of the company."
  • "Some kind of SaaS product would be helpful in providing organizational structure."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is open source and we use it for the entire bill pipeline - for building different languages, for running reports on code coverage, running our QA tests, automated tests, and for deployment. We are customers of Jenkins and I'm head of infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

The advantage of this product is that it brought automation to the company. Instead of manually billing, manually trying to run tests, it now happens automatically.

What is most valuable?

The best thing about Jenkins is that it's such an open community, and it has a bazillion plugins which is a neat feature. Anything you want to do, someone else has probably already done it.

What needs improvement?

Despite there being a whole lot of community input on the solution, nobody is providing professional services around it. Jenkins itself is a very small company but it would be great if they could host and offer some kind of SaaS product which would provide an organizational structure of some sort.

I've been using this solution for 13 years.

Stability is not top notch but it's pretty good.

The solution is very scalable, I probably have around 60 people using it, mainly developers checking whether there are any errors. We have around 10, 15 QA people, power users, and  another 40, 45 developers looking at it. The solution is being extensively used but we only need one person to deal with maintenance.

The initial setup was straightforward and didn't take too long, maybe a few days. Implementation was carried out in-house.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to take the time to research the solution and find what's right for you. Since it's so customizable, there's a million ways to do things and since there's no professional services that says this is the right way, you have to figure it out on your own. Take that time, do the research, try things out. Make sure it works before you go ahead and put it into your whole organization. This solution touches the bases of everything we need to do. Professional services aren't there, but that's the only downside. Other than that, we're very happy with the product.

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
SB
Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Great automation which saves time, has a good interface, and is reliable

• "Has a good interface, is reliable and saves time."
  • "Logging could be improved to offer a clearer view."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a software engineer at a large bank.

How has it helped my organization?

Jenkins increases our performance efficiency and saves us a significant amount of time.

What is most valuable?

We were initially SQL-based until we moved to object-oriented language and started hosting our code on Jenkins. The main benefit for us is the automation and we've done it in such a way that you only need to run one build that triggers itself and the rest of the builds downstream. We're moving most of our builds over to Jenkins because of all the automation it offers. It has a good interface, is reliable, and saves time.

What needs improvement?

I think the logs could be improved so that anyone using the build for the first time gets a better view as to how it's performing, what the data is, and what processing is occurring. I'd like to see errors displayed differently. It currently takes an effort to find out where an error is and I think the error message and logging which is not jargon-based, is something I would like to see included.

I've been using this solution for two years.

This is a stable solution. We are a team of 25 people, all working with Jenkins in some way or other, whether it's the finance data adapter or the magnet platform, which is totally Java-based and uses Jenkins. We have mainly software engineers and a few business analysts on the team. We also have a maintenance team that deals with any issues that come up.

I have tried the partial plugin for Jenkins which we use for regression and analysis and it works well.

Our technical support is all in-house. All software deployment information is available online and it's pretty easy to follow.

We have a license contract with Jenkins.

What other advice do I have?

Jenkins is a great solution if you're looking at automation because it reduces manual work and improves performance. If you deploy it on cloud, then performance is improved further. It's worth reducing dependency by targeting a one-build solution for Jenkins.

I rate the solution eight out of 10.

Private Cloud

Other
SK
DevOps Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Plenty of plugins, automatic configurations, and easy to use

• "The automated elements are easy to use and you can put them into your server."
  • "The scriptwriting process could be improved in this solution in the future."

What is most valuable?

In this solution, you can write scripts and put job parameters in them with time and dates when to activate. We can create a web book that is automatically configured. The automated elements are easy to use and you can put them into your server. Additionally, there are plenty of plugins available. You can use the plugins to push your code into a target or container. There are many features available in this solution.

What needs improvement?

The scriptwriting process could be improved in this solution in the future.

I have been using the solution for one and a half years.

The solution is stable.

We have not had any issues with scaling the solution.

I have previously used Bamboo and it is really easy to use, user-friendly, and the UI well designed. The control output of Bamboo is highly interactive for the user.

I have also previously used Sonar but it is a lot different than this solution and Bamboo.

The solution is one of the lowest costs compared to competitors.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a solution I would advise checking their budget, the volume size they are performing, and what full-stack they are performing on. Based on this information, they can better determine what solution is best for them. If they have a low budget this solution would be great for them.

I rate Jenkins an eight out of ten.

IK
Manager with 1-10 employees
Open source, flexible, scalable, and easy to use, but needs scheduling features

• "It is open source, flexible, scalable, and easy to use. It is easy to maintain for the administrator. It is a continuous integration tool, and its enterprise version is quite mature. It has good integrations and plug-ins. Azure DevOps can also be integrated with Jenkins."
  • "Its schedule builds need improvement. It should have scheduling features in the platform rather than using external plug-ins."

What is our primary use case?

We used it for continuous integration and had its latest version in the previous organization. I am now using Azure DevOps.

What is most valuable?

It is open source, flexible, scalable, and easy to use. It is easy to maintain for the administrator. It is a continuous integration tool, and its enterprise version is quite mature.

It has good integrations and plug-ins. Azure DevOps can also be integrated with Jenkins.

What needs improvement?

Its schedule builds need improvement. It should have scheduling features in the platform rather than using external plug-ins.

I used this solution for around one and a half years.

It is scalable. We had five users of this solution.

We were using another solution from Automic.

It is easy and quick to install. It took us less than an hour.

I installed it. You just need a single resource for its deployment and maintenance.

There is no cost. It is open source.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is good for small companies but not for big companies. It has a good interface and was easy to customize. We were also using another plug-in to enhance the user interface.

I would rate Jenkins a seven out of ten.

Ibrahim Rasras
Lead solution architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A scalable open source automation server that is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a pipeline and for the whole development life-cycle. We even built the whole infrastructure and use it with cloud formation. In AWS, we use it with cloud formation when we build the infrastructure as a code.

What is most valuable?

It's fantastic. I like it, and I have no problem with it. It's very small, easy to use, and very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

It would help if they offered more integrations.

I have been using Jenkins for about two years.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It would help if they offered more integrations.

I have been using Jenkins for about two years.

It's very flexible, and you can add a lot of applications there to develop and more. We have about five guys using it, but we also have a very big development team with over 50 developers.

I installed it a couple of times, and the initial setup was easy. I didn't have any difficulties when it came to deployment.

I installed Jenkins by myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but it depends on the project. It has a lot of support, and it's been in the market for a long time. Many big organizations also use it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Jenkins a nine.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)