Jenkins Overview

Jenkins is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Build Automation tools. It is most often compared to Tekton: Jenkins vs Tekton

What is Jenkins?

Jenkins is an award-winning application that monitors executions of repeated jobs, such as building a software project or jobs run by cron.

Download the Build Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Jenkins Customers

Airial, Clarus Financial Technology, cubetutor, Metawidget, mysocio, namma, silverpeas, Sokkva, So Rave, tagzbox

Jenkins Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Jenkins pricing:
  • "The solution is one of the lowest costs compared to competitors."
  • "There is no cost. It is open source."
  • "It could be cheaper because there are many solutions available in the market. We are paying yearly."

KT
Software Engineering Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Supports most of the open-source plug-ins, has the auto-schedule feature, and does not trigger a build when there is no change

What is our primary use case?

We are an automotive infotainment software provider. Our products are for infotainment. We have displays or music systems that are dealing with the Android operating system, and we are using Jenkins for some of the jobs. We have two deployment models. One is on-premises, and the other one is the private cloud.

• "The auto-schedule feature is valuable. Another valuable feature is that Jenkins does not trigger a build when there is no change in any of the systems. Jenkins also supports most of the open-source plug-ins."
  • "There are a lot of things that they can try to improvise. They can reduce a lot of configurations. It is currently supporting Groovy for scripting. It would be really good if it can be improvised for Python because, for most of the automation, we have Python as a script. It would be good if can also support Python. We have a lot of Android builds. These Android builds can be a part of Jenkins. It can have some plug-ins or configurations for Android builds. There should also be some internal matrix to check the performance. We also want to have more REST API support, which is currently not much in Jenkins. We are not able to get more information about running Jenkins. More REST API support should be provided."

What other advice do I have?

For a person who wants to get started with Jenkins, I would advise initially deploying Docker with Jenkins. You can also create a shared library in Jenkins. You should have some basic knowledge of the Groovy script. I would rate Jenkins an eight out of ten.
SK
DevOps Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Plenty of plugins, automatic configurations, and easy to use

• "The automated elements are easy to use and you can put them into your server."
  • "The scriptwriting process could be improved in this solution in the future."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a solution I would advise checking their budget, the volume size they are performing, and what full-stack they are performing on. Based on this information, they can better determine what solution is best for them. If they have a low budget this solution would be great for them. I rate Jenkins an eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Jenkins, Atlassian, JetBrains and others in Build Automation. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IK
Manager with 1-10 employees
Open source, flexible, scalable, and easy to use, but needs scheduling features

What is our primary use case?

We used it for continuous integration and had its latest version in the previous organization. I am now using Azure DevOps.

• "It is open source, flexible, scalable, and easy to use. It is easy to maintain for the administrator. It is a continuous integration tool, and its enterprise version is quite mature. It has good integrations and plug-ins. Azure DevOps can also be integrated with Jenkins."
  • "Its schedule builds need improvement. It should have scheduling features in the platform rather than using external plug-ins."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is good for small companies but not for big companies. It has a good interface and was easy to customize. We were also using another plug-in to enhance the user interface. I would rate Jenkins a seven out of ten.
Ibrahim Rasras
Lead solution architect at Moreton Bay Regional Council
A scalable open source automation server that is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a pipeline and for the whole development life-cycle. We even built the whole infrastructure and use it with cloud formation. In AWS, we use it with cloud formation when we build the infrastructure as a code.

What is most valuable?

It's fantastic. I like it, and I have no problem with it. It's very small, easy to use, and very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

It would help if they offered more integrations.

I have been using Jenkins for about two years.

It's very flexible, and you can add a lot of applications there to develop and more. We have about five guys using it, but we also have a very big development team with over 50…
JT
CTO at Redsis
In addition to our automation pipeline, we use it to generate documentation for all our software

What is our primary use case?

We use a Hybrid cloud. We are deploying internally on our own servers i.e. our virtual servers in Microsoft Azure. We have 6 engineers using Jenkins Primer. It is only for internal use. We use it for the automation pipeline in our development of software. It compiles and moves the software to deployment in the Microsoft Azure cloud. We also use Jenkins to generate documentation for all the software.

What needs improvement?

The documentation could be more friendly, and more examples of how to use it. This would make for easier implementation in several environments.

Jenkins is very stable.

We read all the documentation. We also took online training…
HG
Technical Content Writer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to use, stable, and scalable, but needs better pricing

What is our primary use case?

Our company is in development. We provide development solutions for our clients.  Jenkins is a code repository. We use it for the code repository.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

It could be cheaper.

I have been using this solution for four or five years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. Currently, we have around 67 or 70 users. We have plans to increase its usage.

I didn't interact with them. Other people take care of this.

We used GitHub.

How was

PauloBorges
Senior IT Professional at Novabase
Fully integrates with many other solutions for more effective ALM

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for Build & Deploy Automation. It is integrated with Git or TFS, Nexus and Ansible for deploying to premises servers in Linux or Windows.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution provides us more effective ALM and deployment automation compared to the previous solution with Serena (now Micro Focus) Dimensions CM.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are Jenkins Pipelines for ALM and full Deploy Cycle. This solution fully integrates with a lot of other solutions like Git, TFS, Nexus, SonarQube, etc.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have more Steps commands for better integration with other platforms. Better and easy-to-use integration with Docker would be an improvement.

For how long have I used

RH
Software Developer at R.L. Heavey & Co Ltd
Streamlines automated testing and building of release candidates, good support material available

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for repeatable testing of code for regression and design conformance in a medical and scientific environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Jenkins has allowed for streamlined automated testing, building, and smoke testing of release candidates.

What is most valuable?

A lot of support material exists via a single web search of exactly what you're looking for.

What needs improvement?

I think an integrated help button, that respected the context of the change/work in hand, would be a worthwhile improvement.

I have been using this solution for four years.
Product Categories
Build Automation
Download our free Build Automation Report and find out what your peers are saying about Jenkins, Atlassian, JetBrains, and more!