Jenkins OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Jenkins is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Build Automation tools. It is most often compared to Tekton: Jenkins vs Tekton

What is Jenkins?

Jenkins is an award-winning application that monitors executions of repeated jobs, such as building a software project or jobs run by cron.

Download the Build Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Jenkins Customers

Airial, Clarus Financial Technology, cubetutor, Metawidget, mysocio, namma, silverpeas, Sokkva, So Rave, tagzbox

Jenkins Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Jenkins pricing:
  • "Jenkins is a free open-source server."
  • "The solution is one of the lowest costs compared to competitors."
  • "There is no cost. It is open source."
  • "It could be cheaper because there are many solutions available in the market. We are paying yearly."

KT
Software Engineering Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Supports most of the open-source plug-ins, has the auto-schedule feature, and does not trigger a build when there is no change

What is our primary use case?

We are an automotive infotainment software provider. Our products are for infotainment. We have displays or music systems that are dealing with the Android operating system, and we are using Jenkins for some of the jobs. We have two deployment models. One is on-premises, and the other one is the private cloud.

• "The auto-schedule feature is valuable. Another valuable feature is that Jenkins does not trigger a build when there is no change in any of the systems. Jenkins also supports most of the open-source plug-ins."
  • "There are a lot of things that they can try to improvise. They can reduce a lot of configurations. It is currently supporting Groovy for scripting. It would be really good if it can be improvised for Python because, for most of the automation, we have Python as a script. It would be good if can also support Python. We have a lot of Android builds. These Android builds can be a part of Jenkins. It can have some plug-ins or configurations for Android builds. There should also be some internal matrix to check the performance. We also want to have more REST API support, which is currently not much in Jenkins. We are not able to get more information about running Jenkins. More REST API support should be provided."

What other advice do I have?

For a person who wants to get started with Jenkins, I would advise initially deploying Docker with Jenkins. You can also create a shared library in Jenkins. You should have some basic knowledge of the Groovy script. I would rate Jenkins an eight out of ten.
VenkatRaju
Regional Finishing Manager- South Asia Sourcing at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Beneficial plugin integration, useful elastic management, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

There are many use cases for Jenkins. We have an AWS infrastructure in which we have created templates for the provisioning of the infrastructure, and for the infrastructure network appliance, we use Jenkins. For the builds, we use Docker images, Maven, Gradle, and other builds. We send all the build environments to the Artifactory Servers running Jenkins. For any deployments to the systems, such as any standalone machines, Kubernetes cluster, or Auto Scaling groups, we use the Jenkins. If a Kubernetes cluster is ready and you want to have other external configurations we use Jenkins for all… more »

• "Jenkins can be used for elastic management, if you have any sensitive data or credentials you can use them across the environment. Additionally, the solution is easy to use and can be used across multiple use cases."
  • "The solution could improve by having more advanced integrations."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I rate Jenkins a nine out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Jenkins, Atlassian, JetBrains and others in Build Automation. Updated: September 2021.
534,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mike Colarusso
Head of Infrastructure at DriveWealth Technologies
A great open community; has enabled our company to move to full automation

What is our primary use case?

This solution is open source and we use it for the entire bill pipeline - for building different languages, for running reports on code coverage, running our QA tests, automated tests, and for deployment. We are customers of Jenkins and I'm head of infrastructure.

• "Has enabled full automation of the company."
  • "Some kind of SaaS product would be helpful in providing organizational structure."

What other advice do I have?

It's important to take the time to research the solution and find what's right for you. Since it's so customizable, there's a million ways to do things and since there's no professional services that says this is the right way, you have to figure it out on your own. Take that time, do the research, try things out. Make sure it works before you go ahead and put it into your whole organization. This solution touches the bases of everything we need to do. Professional services aren't there, but that's the only downside. Other than that, we're very happy with the product. I rate this solution a…
SK
DevOps Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Plenty of plugins, automatic configurations, and easy to use

• "The automated elements are easy to use and you can put them into your server."
  • "The scriptwriting process could be improved in this solution in the future."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a solution I would advise checking their budget, the volume size they are performing, and what full-stack they are performing on. Based on this information, they can better determine what solution is best for them. If they have a low budget this solution would be great for them. I rate Jenkins an eight out of ten.
IK
Manager with 1-10 employees
Open source, flexible, scalable, and easy to use, but needs scheduling features

What is our primary use case?

We used it for continuous integration and had its latest version in the previous organization. I am now using Azure DevOps.

• "It is open source, flexible, scalable, and easy to use. It is easy to maintain for the administrator. It is a continuous integration tool, and its enterprise version is quite mature. It has good integrations and plug-ins. Azure DevOps can also be integrated with Jenkins."
  • "Its schedule builds need improvement. It should have scheduling features in the platform rather than using external plug-ins."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is good for small companies but not for big companies. It has a good interface and was easy to customize. We were also using another plug-in to enhance the user interface. I would rate Jenkins a seven out of ten.
Ibrahim Rasras
Lead solution architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A scalable open source automation server that is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a pipeline and for the whole development life-cycle. We even built the whole infrastructure and use it with cloud formation. In AWS, we use it with cloud formation when we build the infrastructure as a code.

What is most valuable?

It's fantastic. I like it, and I have no problem with it. It's very small, easy to use, and very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

It would help if they offered more integrations.

I have been using Jenkins for about two years.

It's very flexible, and you can add a lot of applications there to develop and more. We have about five guys using it, but we also have a very big development team with over 50…
JT
CTO at Redsis
In addition to our automation pipeline, we use it to generate documentation for all our software

What is our primary use case?

We use a Hybrid cloud. We are deploying internally on our own servers i.e. our virtual servers in Microsoft Azure. We have 6 engineers using Jenkins Primer. It is only for internal use. We use it for the automation pipeline in our development of software. It compiles and moves the software to deployment in the Microsoft Azure cloud. We also use Jenkins to generate documentation for all the software.

What needs improvement?

The documentation could be more friendly, and more examples of how to use it. This would make for easier implementation in several environments.

Jenkins is very stable.

We read all the documentation. We also took online training…
HG
Technical Content Writer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to use, stable, and scalable, but needs better pricing

What is our primary use case?

Our company is in development. We provide development solutions for our clients.  Jenkins is a code repository. We use it for the code repository.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

It could be cheaper.

I have been using this solution for four or five years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. Currently, we have around 67 or 70 users. We have plans to increase its usage.

I didn't interact with them. Other people take care of this.

We used GitHub.

How was

See 2 more Jenkins Reviews
Product Categories
Build Automation
Download our free Build Automation Report and find out what your peers are saying about Jenkins, Atlassian, JetBrains, and more!