Jenkins Overview

Jenkins is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Build Automation tools. It is most often compared to Tekton: Jenkins vs Tekton

What is Jenkins?

Jenkins is an award-winning application that monitors executions of repeated jobs, such as building a software project or jobs run by cron.

Download the Build Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Jenkins Customers

Airial, Clarus Financial Technology, cubetutor, Metawidget, mysocio, namma, silverpeas, Sokkva, So Rave, tagzbox

Jenkins Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

OU
Software Test Automation Engineer at Colpatria
The ability to connect with multiple tools and technologies has helped us increase productivity

What is our primary use case?

This is our CD solution for Java APIs and Microsites.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution automates the deployment process and therefore increases productivity.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its ability to connect with different tools and technologies.

What needs improvement?

This solution would be improved with the inclusion of an Artifactory (Universal artifact repository manager).

Five years.
OG
Lider de Diseño y Arquitectura de Soluciones with 11-50 employees
Enables us to automate many procedures like code review, testing, and deployment

What is our primary use case?

This solution is the primary component for our automatic release process, including code smell, integration, and deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has provided us with better quality and less time to market for our software products. We can also automate many procedures like code review, testing, and deployment.

What is most valuable?

There are a large number of plugins available for integration with third party systems.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be updated a little. I think that a REST API is needed to expand the integration capabilities.

Find out what your peers are saying about Jenkins, Atlassian, JetBrains and others in Build Automation. Updated: May 2021.
502,104 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Technical Consultant at Adobe
Leaderboard
Your True Friend when you're out (CI/CD)

What is our primary use case?

I use Jenkins for Continous Integration or Continous Deployment to run test case execution in Nightly build atmosphere. Integrating test scripts to Jenkins is easier and it can run based on the frequency mentioned in settings.
dev app engineer
Incorporated with the code, we don't need a UI to design the build process

What is our primary use case?

We use it for build.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves our process because it's incorporated with the code. We don't need a UI to design the build process. It's like code for building.

What is most valuable?

Pipeline.

What needs improvement?

I think we have everything we need in Jenkins, really we're content with what we have in it. If I had to name something, I'd like to see more on the cloud, cloud integration, like to Amazon and  Google. I'd like to see more plugins for those.
Senior Automation Test Developer/Automation Test Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
My experience with Jenkins and TeamCity for CI

What is our primary use case?

- Run automated tests with release pipeline. - Run tests against different environment. - Manage selenium grid. - Integrate with slack, browserstack and AWS.

What other advice do I have?

We use the Groovy language to maintain the Jenkins job configurations which is very convenient. I do not know if we can do that to team city or not, I have not had a chance to try yet. I love Jenkins more without considering budget and the technology trend.
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Significantly reduces build times, automates frequent manual tasks, reduces errors

• "Having builds and test tasks triggered on commit helps not to break the product."
  • "We significantly reduced build times of large projects (more than 80k lines of Scala code) using build time on Jenkins as a time sample. It reduced the developer write-test-commit cycle time, and increased productivity."
  • "We have started to integrate Pipelines as a part of a build, and built a library of common functions. It simplified and made our build scripts more readable."
  • "Automation of chores like deployment, frequent manual tasks (like running scripts on test and production systems) reduced the time used and the number of errors made by engineers, freeing them to do meaningful work instead."
  • "Jenkins relies on the old version of interface for configuration management. This needs improvement."
  • "Developer documentation for plugins, plugin development, integrations: Sometimes it’s tricky to do pretty obvious things."
  • "Sometimes you have Jenkins restarting because of OOM errors."

What other advice do I have?

I like it very much, and I'm actively promoting it on my network. Take your time to get used to the management flows of the application and builds. Jenkins is very powerful when you know how to cook it.
System Administrator at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Customization and the ability to automate processes from end-to-end are valuable

How has it helped my organization?

It's more structured, using naming conventions.

What is most valuable?

Customization Automation It's very useful when you want to automate different processes from beginning to end.

What needs improvement?

Maybe centralized user management. (We are not using all the functionalities of the product).

Three to five years.

I would say it's a quite stable system.

As I mentioned, we are not using all the feature of it, so it's very easy to scale it.

It's free software with a big community behind it, which is very good.

Which solution did

QA Automation Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nice functionality, but does not have a very user-friendly interface

• "We used it for all continuous integration parts, like automation testing, deployment, etc."
  • "It does not have a very user-friendly interface."

What other advice do I have?

Nice functionality, but does not have a very user-friendly interface.
Software Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Facilitates Continuous Integration with almost any systems used for app development

• "Continuous Integration. Jenkins can integrate with almost any systems used for application development and testing, with its plugins."
  • "Upgrading and maintaining plugins can be painful, as sometimes upgrading a plugin can break functionality of another plugin that a job is dependent on."

What other advice do I have?

Jenkins is a great tool for continuous integration. It has a wide variety of plugins to support anything from development to automation, performance testing, security testing, and many more. It also has the best support and documentation. If one is ready to spend dedicated resources on proper access control and plugin management, Jenkins can easily be the tool of choice for CI.
Continuous Integration Engineer
Enables continuous build and testing, and distributed execution of build and test jobs

• "Distributed execution of build and test jobs."
  • "The documentation on plugin development could be better: more examples. ​"

What other advice do I have?

Don't forget to look into the plugins. It's not only Jenkins but also the plugins which make it a very valuable product.
It makes the release faster by adding an automated deploy and automation tests

• "Different types of jobs, such as Pipeline, Build, Freestyle, Maven, etc."
  • "The bug fix speed is very slow."

What other advice do I have?

It meets most of my requirements, such as CI/CD pipeline and an automated test execution. Even if there are some issues in Jenkins and its plugins, Jenkins provides the workaround ability to us. Other CI/CD system are not flexible like Jenkins yet. Also Jenkins provides an API, which you can integrate easily into your application. When you have more jobs in Jenkins, find an admin to manage the user, queues, jobs, slaves, etc. I highly recommend Jenkins. It is my favourite CI/CD system.
Software Tester at a tech vendor
Enables us to automatically build Python binaries into several operating systems

• "We use Jenkins to automatically build Python binaries into several OS's i.e. OS X, Ubuntu, Windows 32-bit and Windows 64-bit."
  • "In our case, we have several products built using Jenkins. It is quite difficult to navigate into the latest stable build in a given OS."

What other advice do I have?

Don't focus on the fact that Jenkins is open source. It is tough as a rock. This software is ideal for you who work in software development especially those using Agile methodology.
Business Technology Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It provides some excellent plug-ins like Repository connector plugin, Sonar Qube plug in and J-Unit plugin.

What other advice do I have?

It can be used effectively with technical expertise.
Business Intelligence QA Engineer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
​Potential deployment problems pop up almost instantly during the development process.

What other advice do I have?

Stay calm and mind the gap between your QA automation team and developers.
Mobile QA Developer at a tech vendor
It's a good alternative to become parallel infrastructure purely dedicated for testing, but it lacks the ability to control interim status messages.
Software Engineer at a media company with 10,001+ employees
It enables us to perform project-based matrix authentication, but canceling permissions is problematic.
Senior iOS Developer at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Bamboo vs. Jenkins
A biased and subjective comparison of Bamboo and Jenkins as CI servers for mobile development, based on practical experience with both. Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (Delivery, Distribution) has been around for quite a while. But surprisingly enough on a global scale it pretty much just got into its teen years in regards to mobile development. Well, subjectively, of course. You can see all levels of mobile CI these days. Some would still install builds from Xcode, others would have a quickly patched up build server under their desk. Xcode Bots meet the needs of yet another group of people. Travis CI is good and for open source projects it’s probably the best option. And guess what, I know few successful iOS development companies that develop apps for enterprise…
Senior iOS Developer at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
​This is a very good, powerful and flexible product, but requires a lot of time investment to get the maximum out of it.

Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It’s not the best looking tool. It’s simple but can be complex and it has a load of plugins available for it.
It’s interesting how many places still don’t use continuous integration tools like Jenkins and how many places don’t automate their deployment systems. If that all sounds like goobledegook to you, or if it makes sense but you’ve never used anything like it then this post is for you. Life before Jenkins Before we talk about Jenkins I think it’s worth talking about my experience of life before Jenkins, which will be familiar to a lot of people. Here’s what might have happened in an average working day pre-Jenkins I would write some code and commit it Occasionally a project manager or designer or someone equally focused on interrupting my programming would ask to see the latest version of the project I’d update my code and show them and then they’d ask if they could have a play with it from…
Release Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Robust community support plugins.

What is most valuable?

The feature of this product that is most valuable to me is the robust community support plugins.

How has it helped my organization?

Jenkins has greatly improved the time it takes to deliver a software package to the market.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any at the moment.

I have used Jenkins and Hudson for about four years.

No issues encountered.

The community of people who use this open source tool are very helpful.

Which solution

Software Developer with 51-200 employees
It's simple and intuitive but the plugins need to be streamlined

What other advice do I have?

Just go for it. It's simple and intuitive.
QA Automation Lead at a tech company with 51-200 employees
​Provisioning VMs was an issue during deployment but ​automation in general has been improved.

What is most valuable?

I can build slaves and extensions through plugins.

How has it helped my organization?

Automation in general has been improved.

What needs improvement?

Provisioning of VMs during deployment.

Five years.

Provisioning VMs during deployment was an issue.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: Not needed. Technical Support: Not needed.

We previously used Hudson, and CruiseControl.

Senior Software Automation Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
Open source community with many plugins although stability for all but the most popular plugins needs to be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Do it! There's really no way you can lose. Even if you decide Jenkins isn't for you then you only spent work hours that helped train your staff and create reusable scripts that can be applied in other tools just as well.
Director of Operations at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Strong community of developers and contributors
Jenkins is also open source, in very active development, and has a strong community of developers and contributors. Because Jenkins is a fork of Hudson, the interface is similar, and much of the core code remains the same (although Hudson 3.0 has some significant changes). Without going too far into the debate (you can read more about it from the Jenkins team and the Hudson team), it comes down to what your dev environment looks like. If you’re in an Oracle-heavy company, Hudson may work best for you. If you’re not, consider Jenkins. Jenkins seems to have more active dev going on right now. Both solutions are integrated with Eclipse and are heavily Java oriented (although not to the exclusion of other technologies).
Product Categories
Build Automation
Download our free Build Automation Report and find out what your peers are saying about Jenkins, Atlassian, JetBrains, and more!
Quick Links