Jira Align OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Jira Align is #1 ranked solution in top Value Stream Management Software and #8 ranked solution in top Enterprise Agile Planning Tools. IT Central Station users give Jira Align an average rating of 8 out of 10. Jira Align is most commonly compared to Planview LeanKit:Jira Align vs Planview LeanKit. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
What is Jira Align?

Jira Align connects your business strategy to technical execution.

Download the Enterprise Agile Planning Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2021

Jira Align Customers
Anthem, nielsen, Homeland Security, NCR, dimension data

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Jira Align pricing:
  • "The software is very good, but the price is expensive. Our licensing costs are on a monthly basis, but there are no additional costs to the standard license fees."

Jira Align Reviews

SR
Chief Technology Officer at Ongil Private Limited
An easy learning curve with great integrations; reporting provides good visibility

• "Velocity and reporting provide good visibility, burndown charts, and particularly velocity measurement."
  • "Lacks sufficient reporting capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for running agile sprints, for our weekly planning, task tracking, assignments, milestones, and reporting. I also use the burndown charts, velocity measurements, and developer productivity. We are customers of Jira.

What is most valuable?

I like the solution's ability to create a backlog and in the latest version, the epic view is very useful, you're basically creating a backlog and then dragging and dropping into the sprint. It's very cool. I also like the velocity and the reporting which provides good visibility, burndown charts, and particularly velocity measurement. I've found their email integration very useful and they have a configurable way of adding attributes. They have some of the mandatory fields, some of which are more advanced. The solution has an easy learning curve with the good documentation they provide. For power users, it's very useful.

What needs improvement?

One aspect that could be improved is that a ticket is declared as completed only when it is in the last column of the Jira board, regardless of the state it's in so that completed tickets don't get picked up because it goes by column rather than status. It's an annoying feature of Jira which they could improve. They could also add additional reporting capabilities. If I want to look at a graph of the performance and progress of a particular developer, I can't do that. GitHub gives a lot of good statistics on developer activity, productivity, and I'm not getting it here. It would be a useful thing to have.

Another feature I would love to have is an inline ticket creation from the  board. Right  now, I have to move to backlog, create ticket and then come back.

I've been using this solution on and off for the last 10 years.

There are no issues around stability. Solution is available as a software as a service. I have not faced any outages or bugs which affect our work so far. Its been fairly stable.

I haven't had any performance issues in terms of scalability. We only have 10 users and it's working well. I know Jira is also used by enterprise organizations, so I don't think scalability is an issue.

I have used FreshRelease and Rally before. When I moved on, I had several options and found Jira hosted by atlassian to be the most viable solution for our startup. It works well so I'll stick with it. key point was it was integrated well with other tools used by us.

The initial setup was straightforward, it's available over the web browser so there's no installation, it's just a matter of registering. The whole thing would have taken an hour maximum. It's pretty seamless.

well, clarity in terms of what we need to do this week. This reduces friction and translates into velocity and productivity.

The cost is $3 per user. So I'm paying $24 for eight users. We're just having an issue with the license flipping back to a free plan each week and I need to raise a ticket on that. Otherwise, it's seamless.

Have used other solutions in the past. Jira was chosen because it seemelssly integrated with bitbucket and confluence and provides an integrated collaboration environment.

What other advice do I have?

Jira is great for small and enterprise organizations. I highly recommend it for startups. Another benefit is that Atlassian gives me Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello, they're a useful stack. I can use Jira for project management and agile management, Confluence for content collaboration, Bitbucket for code repository management and Trello can be used for a daily to-do list. It's all integrated. Atlassian has the key advantage of having been in the market for a long time.

I rate the product nine out of 10.

Other
GK
Project Manager at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Useful customization, technical support responsive, scalable and reliable

• "The most valuable features are the ability to customize the entries and to update them quickly. Since the new version they released, we started utilizing the customization features to create specific codes and symbols for our teams that were not available before. For example, in team A each person had their own symbols and we had our own demarcation. When our project or task was completed, we had a code that we could enter online that let the main project managers know that it was time to remove it."
  • "One of the biggest issues I found in the new version was once we clicked on one of the tasks that were specifically for our group and went to look at the other portfolios in other areas we had to browse all the way back to the beginning. If you click the back button, it would not work, it stayed the same place. Additionally, if you click on page B, but then you wanted to go back to page A it would not go back to page A. You would have to browse back to the portfolio and then find your group again and open it. This was the only issue that I had with it and I am not sure if it is a Jira issue or it was because of the way the site was laid out."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for schedule management and to do any updates on projects that we have had. I am a project manager and our organization put together a portfolio for each of us to have our own set of projects listed specifically under Jira that we had to provide regular daily updates for.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution helped our organization by allowing us to do customizations easily for our fast-paced team environment.

What needs improvement?

This was the only issue that I had with it and I am not sure if it is a Jira issue or it was because of the way the site was laid out.

I have been using Jira Align for approximately four years.

The solution is very stable. We had one issue but I cannot say if it was because of the network that we were on or if it was a limitation of the solution. Everything else about the solution was stable. The only time it was down was when our administrators announced they were going to take it down.

The scalability is good because when we started utilizing the solution we only had three teams and three different sections then from December to January the developers came together and it expanded to 76 different tasks across the teams. When we hit February we had over 300. It is easy to expand and it did not only encompass our teams but also had links to other teams that were outside of our main sets of teams.

Our whole agency was using the solution which is approximately 100 people.

When I sent an email out to the technical support I received a couple of answers back. I would say their technical support is good.

When I had to set up my own pages, it was quite easy. I had an enjoyable time creating my own test pages and it allowed me to change many features and test out the different settings. It was very easy to import new documentation and attachments and to set up sub-pages for our team to check in to Jira Align.

It was a large-scale effort for the implementation of the solution and there were three main supervisors overseeing the operation. We have a total of 12 administrators maintaining this version of Jira Align.

I have evaluated ServiceNow.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is this is a good solution and if you have multiple teams as we did that require you to provide daily updates then it is the ideal choice. You can track every entry and you can see when it is inputted by a timestamp. If you have a lot of mission-critical or time-sensitive activities, Jira is good for tracking and helping to keep everything organized.

This is an excellent solution and has great functionality.

I rate Jira Align an eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Atlassian, Planview, ServiceNow and others in Enterprise Agile Planning Tools. Updated: December 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KH
Systems Engineer at Ortho Clinical Diagnostics
Useful for earned value calculations, tracking tasks, and posting a schedule so that engineers can update their tasks

• "The most valuable feature is that engineers can access the Jira database and just search for the tasks that are assigned to them. They can then update the status on their own in those records that are assigned to them."
  • "There is no linkage between the Jira records and the overarching schedule. We maintain the overarching schedule in Microsoft Project, and there is no linkage back and forth with the Jira tasks. They are independent of each other."

What is our primary use case?

We have a semi-detailed project plan, and our software groups break down design feature X into sub-tasks in Jira and assign estimates, resources, and due dates. Then they manage a sort of agile sprint. They'll look at task items within the next two weeks, and they track that at the beginning of that two-week sprint. At the end of the two-week sprint, they again see where they ended up. We have had people using it to do essentially earned value calculations. They look at what percentage of work has been completed by estimating the total work for a task or set of tasks, and then they track hours spent against those tasks and percentage complete.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There is no linkage between the Jira records and the overarching schedule. We maintain the overarching schedule in Microsoft Project, and there is no linkage back and forth with the Jira tasks. They are independent of each other.

I have not heard anybody complaining about it.

I suspect it is scalable. We have had semi-large software projects managed through it.

We can also use Microsoft Project. However, we generally can't post a Microsoft Project schedule and have each individual engineer go in and update their own tasks or even look at it. In fact, most of the engineers don't even have Microsoft Project as a tool on their PCs. So, they rely on the project manager to post a PDF version of the schedule, and essentially, we end up having to have a meeting every week to say, "Okay, you guys were working on these things, and they were due this week. Did you get them done or not?"

What other advice do I have?

It is not a project management solution in itself. I would call it an adjunct tool to something like Microsoft Project. In Jira, I don't see a way to show project or task dependencies or even a high-level schedule layout. It is more for the individual tasks that are going to be done in the next two-week period, but the big picture of why you have to do those things in that two-week period is kind of missing.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. It is not perfect, but I also don't see any big problems with how we're using it.

GK
Project Manager at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Workflows are scalable but can sometimes be complex to navigate

• "Jira Align helps us manage communication and tasks for a variety of teams without overlap."
  • "The workflows are scalable from portfolio to individual level but can sometimes be complex to navigate."

What is our primary use case?

I used Jira Align when I was working with CACI. We use Jira Align to build and manage workflows, which allows each team to understand their work.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

I like how things can be sorted out, and it shows the different objectives one can do. You could also create a team view that would allow your team to see work outcomes. Jira Align also helps with the reporting, because we can export data to Excel or another format.

What needs improvement?

I used Jira Align for about a year.

It was very stable, and I liked the refresh rate. I know a lot of it also depends on personal network connectivity, but it instantly updates changes.

When you sign in, you will see the different objectives that you would have, and then it would show you bigger objectives, your status, who was using it, and what they completed and what wasn't. If there are linked topics that were part of it, then it will show the aligned tasks.

The support team was very helpful, knowledgeable, and very responsive. Also, when you visit their forum page, they have a chat thread where you can look up problems or questions with other users and get answers from there.

I wasn't part of the initial setup, but the setup was easy when I got access to Jira Align. It was easy to personalize after I signed in, and I could put in my icon, picture, background picture, and thumbnail. So it is easily customizable and you can set up your page. With that, it was easy for all teams to organize their profiles.

The pricing wasn't something they exposed me to because the business development team handled it.

AC
Solutions Architect Leader at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Configurations and dashboards are valuable features, but the cost is high

What is our primary use case?

My company is a partner of Atlassian, a Jira vendor. We deploy the solution through a public cloud.

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable features are the configurations and dashboards.

What needs improvement?

I have not had any issues with Jira Align.

I have been using Jira Align and Jira Service Management for two years.

The stability of this solution is fine.

The scalability of Jira is fine.

Deployment was very complex.

My company does installations and implementations for Jira.

What's my experience

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable features are the configurations and dashboards.

What needs improvement?

I have not had any issues with Jira Align.

I have been using Jira Align and Jira Service Management for two years.

The stability of this solution is fine.

The scalability of Jira is fine.

Deployment was very complex.

My company does installations and implementations for Jira.

The software is very good, but the price is expensive. Our licensing costs are on a monthly basis, but there are no additional costs to the standard license fees.

I have also evaluated ServiceNow ITBM, but I believe that Jira Align is better.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10 because of the price.

Download our free Enterprise Agile Planning Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Atlassian, Planview, ServiceNow, and more!