Sehrish Parvaiz
Principal Project Manager at Systems Limited
Beneficial jQuery function, easy design creation, and scalable

• "One of the most valuable features is querying because the jQuery function is very good. Additionally, we can create good designs very easily."
  • "Jira should allow you to create and develop pipelines easily. In India, we have to purchase them separately or integrate other data tools. All these tools should be in Jira."

What is our primary use case?

We are using primarily using Jira for the project and issue tracking mostly.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There are too many restrictions in Jira. In DevOps, you can access the dashboards easily, but in Jira, you should have more administration rights. In our organization, there are some restrictions on creating dashboards and other features. Everything should be accessible with all access rights for everyone.

Jira should allow you to create and develop pipelines easily. In India, we have to purchase them separately or integrate other data tools. All these tools should be in Jira.

I have used Jira for approximately 12 years.

Jira is stable.

In my experience Jira is scalable.

The technical support has been satisfactory but could be better.

I have used DevOps and the main difference between DevOps and Jira is the test cases. You can have test cases in DevOps, but not in Jira. This is what I have observed in my recent comparison. Jira has jQuery and it is far better than what they have in DevOps. There are some filtration and grouping settings in DevOps which I do not like.

The initial setup is easy.

Jira is expensive and a lot of people are choosing DevOps because they are cheaper, open-source, easy to use, and have basic licenses. Jira should decrease its price to be more competitive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Jira an eight out of ten.

GkTan
Managing Director at Nevigate Communications (S) Pte Ltd
Has good informatics, it captures what we need

• "The informatics is the most valuable feature. It captures what we need."
  • "The GUI should have much better features like more graphical illustrations. There are some cases or benchmarks that we are trying to capture into a dashboard GUI's graphical summary, but unfortunately JIRA is not able to do that."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our own network operations, and integrating via API with our customers network operations teams.

How has it helped my organization?

It created excellent data points and summary with up-to-minute information.

What is most valuable?

The informatics is the most valuable feature. It captures what we need.

The user interface could be better, but the stability is definitely there and the accuracy is good.

What needs improvement?

The GUI should have much better features like more graphical illustrations. There are some cases or benchmark data that we are trying to capture and customised into a graphical pie chart summary dashboard, but unfortunately JIRA is not able to do that.

We implemented JIRA six months ago.

The stability is good. We have around ten users as a start.

Impressive

We have contacted technical support. Their response was prompt.

The initial setup is not that difficult, but it's not that simple either. That is why it took us  about three to six months to get it up and finalized.

Via our in-house.

Right now the price is fair but once they move to the cloud, that model may not be attractive anymore.

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent tool to summarize and get our stacks of data into a platform for operational overview and interface tracking. It is very useful for us.

I would rate JIRA a nine out of ten. Not a ten because of the GUI pie chart. The beauty of the dashboard is not perfect, so I subtracted some points.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Kalimuthuraja Sureshkumar
Automation Architect at Micro Focus
Useful dashboards, effective reports, and updates quickly

• "The dashboard and reports tracking and the setup updates quickly, I am very impressed with those features. Additionally, it is user-friendly."
  • "The integration of Jira could improve. The solution should be able to integrate easily with other solutions, such as ERPs. There are times the solution can be slow and we have to reset it over and over again."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira for requirement and defect management. Not for DevOps purposes, only application development.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard and reports tracking and the setup updates quickly, I am very impressed with those features. Additionally, it is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

In an upcoming release, they should improve the user management features. For example, when I want to monitor a project as a CEO I do not want all the details but enough that I can understand. Additionally, these features should be accessible to me by mobile.

I have been using Jira for approximately two years.

Jira is a reliable solution for that medium-sized organizations. It's not for enterprise-level organizations, they have a long way to go.

The scalability has to be improved more because Jira currently is similar to a standalone solution with very limited integration. The integration with other products has to be more.

We have approximately 50,000 people using the solution.

We use our own IT department for the technical support of Jira.

The initial setup was complex.

We used to be on a perpetual license provided by our clients.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. Any new startup company can start with Jira immediately because it is now offered in the cloud.

I rate Jira a nine out of ten.

Senior DevOps/Build Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Easy to learn, good interface, and responsive technical support

• "Jira has a useful user interface and overall is easy to understand and learn."
  • "Performance is something that can always be improved upon in a feature release. Additionally, it would be a benefit to add Markdown in Jira because sometimes it might be better to describe everything in Markdown because it is a common language structure."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira to create releases, tasks, sprints, and collaborate within teams. The solution can be deployed on both the cloud or on-premise.

What is most valuable?

Jira has a useful user interface and overall is easy to understand and learn.

What needs improvement?

Performance is something that can always be improved upon in a feature release. Additionally, it would be a benefit to add Markdown in Jira because sometimes it might be better to describe everything in Markdown because it is a common language structure.

I have been using Jira for approximately eight years.

Jira's stability could improve. We have experienced times when we were out of memory which is possible due to a memory leak. It is hard to pinpoint the cause, it could be the operating system.

I have had to contact the support when I had some questions about the upgrading process and they answered in a timely manner.

I have previously used a comparable solution to Jira and the largest benefit was it was free.

The setup is not difficult. I have done it a few times in Kubernetes and did upgrades, the experience was straightforward.

There are other solutions that are free making this solution seem expensive in comparison.

What other advice do I have?

I have found the cloud deployment better than the on-premise. However, for those wanting to implement this solution, I would advise them to compare the pros and cons of each before making their selection.

I rate Jira a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
JZ
Director of operations at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable ecosystem with a plethora of use cases

What is our primary use case?

There are so many use cases for Jira. If it's got something to do with IT, it will be covered by Jira. They have a very extensive marketplace and you can find nearly every solution there, including version controlling, source control for the code, automation, test automation, security scanning, configuration, and development management.

What is most valuable?

What I find valuable about Jira is that it's an ecosystem. Sometimes, it does not provide the best-in-class solutions, but it's so well integrated. You will not have many problems with integration.

What needs improvement?

The transfer of the functionality between testing or pre-production and the production environment could be improved. It would be helpful to have more automation in this area.…

What needs improvement?

I have been using this product for three years.

In general, the core of the product is very stable.

Approximately 150 users use this product at our company. One comment I would have regarding scalability is that I noticed Jira is not yet ready for the Docker platform. I think they are working on this and it will improve the scalability of the product.

Overall, their support is okay. Many topics are covered in their documentation or on Atlassian. We receive support from a local partner.

We previously used SISA.

The initial installation was straightforward for us. What could be improved is the migration between the testing and production environments. This could be automated somehow as the manual transfer of certain workflows and functionalities is very time consuming right now.

Tyrone Moodley
Senior Systems Analyst at canada life
Good integrations and pretty solid, but should have CI/CD integration and more features like Trello

• "Its integration with Bitbucket, Confluence, and other things is most valuable."
  • "If CI/CD is integrated with it, it would be better. I've used Azure DevOps before, and it's nice to have everything, such as CI/CD Repos and other things, integrated. Jira has fewer integrations. Azure DevOps has an easier interface, and it has got everything in one spot. I don't have to jump around in different applications."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for project management.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps everyone to be on the same page.

What is most valuable?

Its integration with Bitbucket, Confluence, and other related products that Atlassian owns is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

If CI/CD is integrated with it, it would be better. I've used Azure DevOps before, and it's nice to have everything, such as CI/CD Repos and other things, integrated. Jira has fewer integrations. Azure DevOps has an easier interface, and it has got everything in one spot. I don't have to jump around in different applications.

It should have more Trello-like features. There are some things you can do in Trello, but you can't do them in Jira, which doesn't make any sense because Jira bought Trello.

It looks pretty solid.

It looks scalable. I haven't seen any issues.

It is being used extensively at the moment in our organization. Currently, IT departments are using it.

I have not interacted with them.

I wasn't around during the setup.

What other advice do I have?

It has a lot going on. They own Bamboo, but right now, we're using Jenkins

I have used Azure DevOps at another company. I would advise going for Azure DevOps because it has everything. You've got your DevOps, and you have your Repos. Everything is integrated.

I would rate Jira a six out of 10.

Private Cloud

TH
CEO at a transportation company with 1-10 employees
An issue tracking solution with a nice GUI

• "In general, the GUI is nice."
  • "The part when it comes to the testing area is a bit hard to handle. The screen is too small, you can't really read what you're typing in, and it's only for the testing area. It looks like they have pressed in more than the UI system could handle to display it properly."

What is our primary use case?

I'm working on creating test cases and one test. I also have an overview of the Sprint.

What is most valuable?

In general, the GUI is nice.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Jira for about eight months.

Jira seems like a stable product, but sometimes I'm losing data.

As a totally different team does the entire setup, I don't know if it's scalable. But we have about 150 users.

To be quite honest, at the end of the day, a tool is just a tool. For me personally, it's hard to say this tool is much better than the other. From just what I know so far, Micro Focus Octane looks a bit more modern. But I don't know which Jira version we're using at the moment. Octane looks a bit more integrated, it looks a bit newer, but would I buy a tool because of that? Certainly not.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Jira for Sprint management. But when it comes to documentation of manual tests, I would say, "Okay, you can buy it if you want to have one package, but you can also have a look at something different."

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Jira a solid eight.

Naresh Rayakwar
Tech Mahindra Total Duration14 yrs TitleTech Lead for KPN Project at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Useful for backlog management and sprint planning

• "The two features that have been most valuable have been backlog management and sprint planning and tracking."
  • "This solution could be improved by including a different model for the overall planning perspective. There's a Jira portfolio that we aren't using. The only challenge we're facing is that we cannot see the overall planning."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases for this solution are backlog management and sprint planning. Customers deploy this solution on-premises.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Jira for almost three years now.

This solution is stable. On-premises, the stability is okay, but when it's cloud-deployed, I think it will be more stable.

This solution is scalable, but I think it will be more scalable when we go with a cloud deployment.

I have never contacted support directly, but our team that takes care of maintenance, support, and customization connects with them.

I previously used Micro Focus ALM Quality Center for around five years.

Installation was done by someone else. For deployment and maintenance, we have a DevOps team of two or three.

I implemented through an in-house team.

We don't pay for licensing because we are using the Open Source version.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. I think it's much better than other competitors' products.

Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.