Tyrone Moodley
Senior Systems Analyst at canada life
Good integrations and pretty solid, but should have CI/CD integration and more features like Trello

• "Its integration with Bitbucket, Confluence, and other things is most valuable."
  • "If CI/CD is integrated with it, it would be better. I've used Azure DevOps before, and it's nice to have everything, such as CI/CD Repos and other things, integrated. Jira has fewer integrations. Azure DevOps has an easier interface, and it has got everything in one spot. I don't have to jump around in different applications."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for project management.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps everyone to be on the same page.

What is most valuable?

Its integration with Bitbucket, Confluence, and other related products that Atlassian owns is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

If CI/CD is integrated with it, it would be better. I've used Azure DevOps before, and it's nice to have everything, such as CI/CD Repos and other things, integrated. Jira has fewer integrations. Azure DevOps has an easier interface, and it has got everything in one spot. I don't have to jump around in different applications.

It should have more Trello-like features. There are some things you can do in Trello, but you can't do them in Jira, which doesn't make any sense because Jira bought Trello.

It looks pretty solid.

It looks scalable. I haven't seen any issues.

It is being used extensively at the moment in our organization. Currently, IT departments are using it.

I have not interacted with them.

I wasn't around during the setup.

What other advice do I have?

It has a lot going on. They own Bamboo, but right now, we're using Jenkins

I have used Azure DevOps at another company. I would advise going for Azure DevOps because it has everything. You've got your DevOps, and you have your Repos. Everything is integrated.

I would rate Jira a six out of 10.

Private Cloud

TH
CEO at a transportation company with 1-10 employees
An issue tracking solution with a nice GUI

• "In general, the GUI is nice."
  • "The part when it comes to the testing area is a bit hard to handle. The screen is too small, you can't really read what you're typing in, and it's only for the testing area. It looks like they have pressed in more than the UI system could handle to display it properly."

What is our primary use case?

I'm working on creating test cases and one test. I also have an overview of the Sprint.

What is most valuable?

In general, the GUI is nice.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Jira for about eight months.

Jira seems like a stable product, but sometimes I'm losing data.

As a totally different team does the entire setup, I don't know if it's scalable. But we have about 150 users.

To be quite honest, at the end of the day, a tool is just a tool. For me personally, it's hard to say this tool is much better than the other. From just what I know so far, Micro Focus Octane looks a bit more modern. But I don't know which Jira version we're using at the moment. Octane looks a bit more integrated, it looks a bit newer, but would I buy a tool because of that? Certainly not.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Jira for Sprint management. But when it comes to documentation of manual tests, I would say, "Okay, you can buy it if you want to have one package, but you can also have a look at something different."

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Jira a solid eight.

Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Naresh Rayakwar
Tech Mahindra Total Duration14 yrs TitleTech Lead for KPN Project at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Useful for backlog management and sprint planning

• "The two features that have been most valuable have been backlog management and sprint planning and tracking."
  • "This solution could be improved by including a different model for the overall planning perspective. There's a Jira portfolio that we aren't using. The only challenge we're facing is that we cannot see the overall planning."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases for this solution are backlog management and sprint planning. Customers deploy this solution on-premises.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Jira for almost three years now.

This solution is stable. On-premises, the stability is okay, but when it's cloud-deployed, I think it will be more stable.

This solution is scalable, but I think it will be more scalable when we go with a cloud deployment.

I have never contacted support directly, but our team that takes care of maintenance, support, and customization connects with them.

I previously used Micro Focus ALM Quality Center for around five years.

Installation was done by someone else. For deployment and maintenance, we have a DevOps team of two or three.

I implemented through an in-house team.

We don't pay for licensing because we are using the Open Source version.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. I think it's much better than other competitors' products.

Sassan Hossein-Pour
Manager Security and Resourcing at Vancity
Enables us to do capacity planning but reporting and JQL create issues

• "We use it for capacity planning. We need to gauge and assess whatever is coming to our pipeline and then everything comes to the pipeline, appears as a pic, and then based on that, we create the story points and we take it from there."
  • "A more organized hierarchy is important. Reporting and JQL create issues for me. They do not completely cover the reporting part that I need to report in terms of my capacity to plan. In the same token, there is no record at this very moment to provide me with one export with epics story points, tasks, or issues and their sub-tasks at the same time."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for capacity planning. We need to gauge and assess whatever is coming to our pipeline and then everything comes to the pipeline, appears as a pic, and then based on that, we create the story points and we take it from there. With that, I am able to create a kind of gauge, estimate, and forecast our capacity planning for the next two weeks. We use it to create peer reports.

What needs improvement?

A more organized hierarchy is important. Reporting and JQL create issues for me. They do not completely cover the reporting part that I need to report in terms of my capacity to plan. In the same token, there is no record at this very moment to provide me with one export with epics story points, tasks, or issues and their sub-tasks at the same time. So I have to do multiple exports to just create the sub-tasks and sub-tasks are not being reported. If I wanted to export this and recreate this in another platform like Azure DevOps, I would have a problem right now.

I have been using Jira for four months.

The support person I contacted was not skilled enough to provide me the answer so it's up in the air.I'm just doing multiple exports.

What other advice do I have?

Jira as it is, is a very nice tool. For capacity planning and resourcing, I think it is not built for this and we are trying to make use of it in that area.

I would rate Jira a seven out of ten.

KK
IT specialist at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Has many good features for knowledge management, but ideas should be future-proofed

• "There are many good things about Atlassian."
  • "I would like to have a future-proof idea of the cost and the roadmap for my class."

What is our primary use case?

I believe we are using the latest on-premises version.

What is most valuable?

Confluence, not Jira, is the most convenient feature with Atlassian. We use the product for knowledge management, the use of creating or documenting knowledge into a knowledge base.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have a future-proof idea of the cost and the roadmap for my class. This is in light of the fact that they are switching things up, promoting the cloud service and mixing different support levels.

The CMDB and knowledge platforms that are in the background of the ticketing tool should also be addressed.

I have been using Jira for five years.

When it comes to the question of stability, this depends wholly on the amount of resources provided to the virtual servers, since we make on-premises use.

We have internal Atlassian experts, so it is tough for me to comment on the technical support.

The price of the solution could be lower.

We are currently in the initial stages of contemplating a switch from Jira.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to work closely with Atlassian to make sure that all the designs are future-proof.

It is tough for me to Rate the solution. There are features needing improvement, but also many good things about Atlassian. As such, I rate Jira as a seven out of ten.

Emmanuel Auffray
Enterprise Solution Architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Not user-friendly, and the interface needs improvement, but it's stable and well-known

• "The most valuable feature of Jira is that it's a well-known tool that many people are familiar with."
  • "It is not user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a consulting company. I provide solutions for many companies, and in some cases, I implement Jira. DevOps is something else that I provide for my clients.

Our clients range in all sizes. I have microscopic clients, such as a one-man company, and on the other end of the spectrum, I have the New Zealand government, for example.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Jira is that it's a well-known tool that many people are familiar with.

What needs improvement?

Jira is not the best tool; I just don't like it.

I am not looking to improve Jira. I have transitioned to using Azure DevOps or GitHub.

I don't like the interface or the way it is structured. I prefer the way it is done in Azure DevOps.

It is not user-friendly.

I have been acquainted with Jira for approximately five years.

Jira is a stable solution.

I have not contacted technical support.

We are also providing Azure DevOps.

I would recommend DevOps because it is more user-friendly and easier to use.

I was not involved in the initial setup of Jira.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Jira a five out of ten.

MA
Java Architect at a healthcare company with 11-50 employees
Great usability, easy collaboration capabilities and offers a clear user interface

• "The ordinary user has an interface that is very clear."
  • "Some of the interfaces, especially on the administrator side and for permissions, are not so clear. They aren't very user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our own projects.

What is most valuable?

The solution, for the most part, offers good usability.

The ordinary user has an interface that is very clear.

It's very easy to collaborate, especially on-site when there are a lot of moving pieces. It's a great collaboration tool.

What needs improvement?

Some of the interfaces, especially on the administrator side and for permissions, are not so clear. They aren't very user-friendly.

For admin to get permissions and stuff like that for their members it's a little confusing sometimes. That said, the rest is very clear.

The integration of what we call "Issues" in Jira could be better. The Issues integration with Bitbucket Pipelines could be better. If Jira can provide an easier way to configure and use this functionality, that will be helpful for workers.

I've been using Jira for more than ten years now. It's been a while at this point.

I looked at other options, however, Jira is so famous and well known that I did not have to look for other software.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. We use Jira for internal projects. I'm a Java architect.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. I'm very satisfied with its capabilities.

David Sandoval
Senior Functional Analyst at Baufest
Good dashboards and reports help us to better manage and complete our projects

• "The most valuable features in Jira are the dashboard, reports, and boards that help us to control the advancement of the project."
  • "We would like to see the integration of a lite-version of Confluence, just to manage some of the templates and documents."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira to manage scrum projects for the different projects in our company. Our business is a development company that uses the cloud version of Jira to manage the sprint and releases for each project for each client. We manage scrum and cascade projects with our clients.

How has it helped my organization?

Jira allows us to manage the project in a visual way, where you can easily see your sprint board and you see the status of your project, as well. It helps us to finish the sprint on time and easily move issues that are not finished to the backlog or to the next sprint.

What is most valuable?

The boards also help us to determine our velocity, and if we reach the release date it helps to determine which issues need to be moved in the event they will not be finished on time.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see the integration of a lite-version of Confluence, just to manage some of the templates and documents.

Without a plugin, implement the Route in projects created before this feature did so in the most recent versions of Jira.

I've been used Jira since 2016, and it helps us a lot.

Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.