Simon Kerry
Group CTO at a retailer with 51-200 employees
A stable platform for managing software development

• "The most valuable feature is managing software development."
  • "The help desk and services management features are in need of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira as our help desk solution, as well as for managing our software development efforts.

How has it helped my organization?

Jira has helped with respect to managing our software development, although it does not suit us well as a help desk.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is managing software development.

What needs improvement?

The help desk and services management features are in need of improvement.

I have been using Jira for five years.

This is a stable product.

The scalability is fine. We have fifty people in the company who are using it.

I have not used the vendor's technical support.

The initial setup was done before I joined the company.

I am currently in the process of searching for better help desk management solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to ensure that it meets your requirements. For example, we have been trying to use it for help desk management, but have found that is not well suited for this task.

AliRaza
Sr. Software Engineer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
A scalable proprietary issue tracking product with useful test cases

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira Interview to handle all the facts from clients and schedule calls with them. We have a different operations department that configures Jira, and we have technical people that help us choose the deployment model.  The main reason we are using Jira at this time is for a different dashboard and chart. The major one that we are using is for the stock analysis, and it's nice to get that time log for our team, get the score of the game, 40 points delivered in a week or a month.

What is most valuable?

I like the test cases in Jira. The orange dash items view was great, and I like the features and layout of the data. It's quite different, and people are now getting their items so quickly.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes it takes time…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Sometimes it takes time to load the data.

I've been using Jira since 2015.

Performance-wise, Jira is good, but sometimes it takes time to load that data.

Jira is scalable. We have about 470 people working with Jira in our company.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that they should all get it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Jira an eight.

Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VP
Technial Lead at a transportation company with 1-10 employees
Easy to customize but it's not very stable

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira for tracking and management.

What is most valuable?

It's an open-sourced product that is easy to customize.

What needs improvement?

Stability is an area of concern and it needs improvement, otherwise, it's a good product. In the next release, it should be more stable and have more APIs to integrate more plugins with it.

The first time that I used Jira was in 2011.  I am using the older version that was released in 2019.

It's not a stable solution.

The number of users is in the hundreds. We will not likely continue using this product. Our customers are evaluating other…

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira for tracking and management.

What is most valuable?

It's an open-sourced product that is easy to customize.

What needs improvement?

The first time that I used Jira was in 2011.

I am using the older version that was released in 2019.

It's not a stable solution.

The number of users is in the hundreds.

We will not likely continue using this product. Our customers are evaluating other solutions that are more stable and scalable.

We have not contacted technical support.

Previously, we did not use another product.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The migration took a week to complete.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the use cases, I would either recommend Jira or not.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Private Cloud
FK
Executive Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Stable, scalable, easy to install, and has good collaboration features

• "We like team collaboration and cross-functional collaboration."
  • "The history with Jira is that it is a bit complex for many users."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for enterprise planning.

What is most valuable?

We like team collaboration and cross-functional collaboration.

What needs improvement?

The history with Jira is that it is a bit complex for many users.

There are too many features.

The user interface is complex.

I have been working with Jira for five years.

We are migrating to the latest version.

Jira is pretty stable.

It is scalable enough.

We have 1,000 users in our organization who are using Jira.

We plan to increase our usage.

Before Jira, we did not use any other solutions.

The initial setup is straightforward, nothing out of the norm.

We had a perpetual license but have changed to a subscription.

We are not satisfied with the pricing. It has become more expensive.

We would prefer it to be cheaper.

We evaluated other solutions before choosing Jira. We chose Jira because it is widely used.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

BW
Senior Software Engineer
Good reporting, interfaces well with other products, and has everything I need

• "The way it interfaces with Bitbucket and other things like that is valuable. Reporting and being able to link various issues or stories together are also valuable. We call them stories, and they're general reports."
  • "It should have Behavior Driven Development (BDD). There should be an option to add macros to help with that. A lot of people are using it now, and it would be nice if there was a way in there to be able to generate the BDD of commands whenever you're creating a story."

What is most valuable?

The way it interfaces with Bitbucket and other things like that is valuable. Reporting and being able to link various issues or stories together are also valuable. We call them stories, and they're general reports.

I never had an issue with it at all. Everything I needed to do was always there. Everything is cool.

What needs improvement?

It should have Behavior Driven Development (BDD). There should be an option to add macros to help with that. A lot of people are using it now, and it would be nice if there was a way in there to be able to generate the BDD of commands whenever you're creating a story.

I have been using this solution for probably 8 to 10 years. I have used it at different companies. Cloud is the way they had it set up.

There were probably about 600 users, and they were from top management and all the way down to the testers. So, pretty much everybody used it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it at least a 9 out of 10. That's because I never had any issues with it. It always did what I needed it to do.

SP
QA Supervisor at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Valuable ticking feature, stable, and helpful support

• "I have found the most valuable features of Jira to be ticketing, life cycle workflow, definition, and creation. Many of the features are useful."
  • "The solution could improve by having its own tool for quality lifecycle management."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira in our organization for lifecycle management.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has helped our organization do lifecycle management easily.

What is most valuable?

I have found the most valuable features of Jira to be ticketing, life cycle workflow, definition, and creation. Many of the features are useful.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having its own tool for quality lifecycle management.

I have used Jira for approximately nine years.

The stability of Jira is good.

Jira has good scalability.

We are using this solution extensively. We have more than 5,000 using the solution in my organization.

We have been satisfied with the technical support from Jira.

We have used in-house developed tools previously and we had to do a lot of customization and this is why we moved to Jira.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others, it is a good option.

I rate Jira an eight out of ten.

ST
Test Architect
Stable solution with a variety of use cases

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases for this product are project management, customer relationship management, internal management, and collaboration.

What is most valuable?

It's an open API. We also have the best community to support any problems that we have.

What needs improvement?

Cost could be improved. The pricing is quite high. I could also see there being a need for improvements in software product management, project planning, and DevOps.

I have been using Jira for six years.

It is stable.

The product is used on a daily basis by 2,000 people. However, it is not easy to scale.

How are customer

What needs improvement?

I have been using Jira for six years.

It is stable.

Technical support could be made more efficient and localized.

The initial setup was somewhere in the middle. Not very simple; not very complex.

We worked with consultants and deployment took us two months. All maintenance has been handled by vendors from outside of the organization.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
MR
Project Manager at Ibermatica
Good project management capability

• "The most valuable feature is project management."
  • "When you first start to use the interface, it is confusing."

What is our primary use case?

We have a development team and we use Jira to manage our projects. We use several products by Atlassian whenever we create and work on a new project.

We have scrum masters who write new project stories, which are tracked by Jira.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is project management.

What needs improvement?

The integration and management features need to be improved.

When you first start to use the interface, it is confusing.

We have been using Jira for about one year.

In my company, we have a lot of knowledge and experience with Atlassian products. We have not needed to contact technical support.

I have also used ALM Synchronizer and I find that it is better because it is easier to manage and it is a more agile tool.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Jira is to install the plugin from Micro Focus because it is a better way to manage the interrelationship between these two tools.

Overall, my experience with Jira is pretty good.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.