MallikKesavaraju
Scaled Agile Consultant at Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
Great story maps, an excellent overview of team performance, and very scalable

• "The user story map is excellent. The features can be composed into stories and they can be allocated to each of the sprints in a program increment. It allows you to see all that in the user story map, and you have various dashboards to see the stories in various views. You can see them as a backlog view, for example, or you can see as an actual sprint view."
  • "Whenever you edit a story, whatever you have changed takes a bit of time to save."

What is our primary use case?

I have been the product manager for several years. I use it day in and day out to manage my team. I manage two teams at the moment and they are pretty large teams. Each has a minimum of about 12 people. We use not just agile, we use a scale model framework. All the work is managed through two pieces of software we use. One is called Jira Align. For the portfolio level software, what Jira bought recently, the previous name for the software was AgileCraft. All of the portfolios and features come loaded in Jira Align. From there, they will be composed into stories in Jira. That process is done using programming preventative planning. We do it every three months.

All of the stories are tracked. We have a workflow defined and we have statuses defined. As the team works on the story, the story moves from one status to another and we close them when everything gets carried over to the production release.

What is most valuable?

The workflow is the most valuable aspect of the solution for us.

There are excellent reports that come out of the data for every sprint so that you can do metrics on each. You can measure how the team is performing with respect to burn down charts, or with respect to how many story points were produced, or how many stories were moved out. For this, you can gauge the performance of the teams very effectively.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs performance improvements. We see that a lot of times it's clocking whenever there's any abuse.

When we switch from one view to the other, it takes some time before that view is presented. The performance for different dashboards, whenever they are loaded, it takes more time than you're comfortable with. Whenever you move from one dashboard view to another dashboard view, then it should come up quickly. Right now it takes a long time and sometimes it clocks. The overall product performance, whenever you switch a view is what they need to work on.

The integration between Jira and Jira Align needs to be better. There's a lot of differences between the two systems. I believe what happened was Jira bought this software from a different company called AgileCraft. And that integration is still in process, and, because of that, there's a lot of differences between the statuses. That sometimes creates a lot of confusion for senior management whenever they're reviewing performance across teams. Better integration between Jira and Jira Align is on the top of my "most desired upgrades" list.

The solution should improve performance when there are multiple users.

I've been using the solution for about seven years now.

Whenever you load different views, it takes time. That's the only major issue. I didn't see any major glitches due to the fact that Atlassian is really good at catching them. The stability of this product is really great. I've been using it for, as I said for six, seven years now. I'm never unhappy with it.

Our entire company, whenever there's a new division that goes into the agile mode of developing software, brings on Jira.

It's really scalable, however, at the same time, you need to really throw hardware at it to offer better response times when you add users. That goes without saying for most of the software.

We currently have 2,000 users on the solution. We plan to continue to increase usage in the future.

We have an internal tech support team for Jira. We contact them whenever we run into issues. We have a platform for IT tickets. We use that to call them. I haven't directly called Jira Atlassian at any point, so I can't speak about their direct technical support.

I have used other packages for agile project management.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup, however, we have a Jira administrator and they have a group, and that handles it. I implemented Jira for my teams. I added users to roles on the system. Roles such as developer, administrator, approval, managers, etc. That is all done by myself. In terms of that task, and setting up a project, it's fairly easy.

Implementation is a multi-year process. Right now, the whole company is on Jira. Whenever there's a new group, it gets added, and a new team is created. It's always a work in progress and it's not very time-consuming.

I would say the training of people on how to use Jira effectively takes some time. It's very intuitive, however, at the same time, a little training goes a long way in utilizing the software in a much better manner.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution.

It's a great piece of software. If you really want to do agile software project management Jira is definitely should be a top choice for you.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

JD
IT Project Manager at Gravity Diagnostics
Designed for project management, meets all IT software development needs, and integrates with Power BI

• "The roadmap feature and the ability to integrate with Power BI are probably the most valuable features in it. It is a great solution. I absolutely love it. It is a tool that was designed for project management, and it has been awesome to work with it so far. I also love Confluence."
  • "They can maybe dumb down the directions for building the automation a little bit because to be able to build out the automation, I had to play around with it and learn what all the fields meant and what they were referencing. I don't have an IT background originally. My background is in biology, and I got into project management by chance. I am good at it, but I haven't really worked with coding languages. In terms of writing automation, it is easier for devs because they intuitively know what they're being asked, but as a PM who originally didn't have IT experience, it was a little bit daunting at first. It could also have an extra hierarchy to be able to allow tasks under stories. It could be the way it is set up at our organization, but currently, under stories, you can have sub-tasks, but you can't create a task. Being able to customize your hierarchy a little bit more would be beneficial because sometimes, the devs would say, "Well, here's a story, and now we need sub-tasks," but as we were building out the sub-tasks, sometimes we had to go a step lower to dig in a little bit more, and we couldn't do that."

What is our primary use case?

We used it in my previous organization for project management, product management, and release management. In my current organization, where I started working a week ago, we are using Jira strictly for help-desk tickets. We are using DevOps for our release management. So, we've got DevOps, Jira, and some homegrown stuff, and I'm trying to figure out what's going to work best for this new organization.

I've used Jira and Confluence previously, and this is my first time using the help-desk ticketing system. It is cool and not a whole lot different than SolarWinds or Zendesk, except the appearance of it is more Jira.

How has it helped my organization?

We were using Microsoft OneNote for systems engineering and network engineering. It was being used for our documentation, environments, and services, and it was a nightmare. We transitioned everybody and copied everything into Confluence. We were then able to tag specific tickets to the notes, and there were links between what work was recently done and the most updated notes in Confluence.

What is most valuable?

The roadmap feature and the ability to integrate with Power BI are probably the most valuable features in it. It is a great solution. I absolutely love it. It is a tool that was designed for project management, and it has been awesome to work with it so far. I also love Confluence.

What needs improvement?

They can maybe dumb down the directions for building the automation a little bit because to be able to build out the automation, I had to play around with it and learn what all the fields meant and what they were referencing. I don't have an IT background originally. My background is in biology, and I got into project management by chance. I am good at it, but I haven't really worked with coding languages. In terms of writing automation, it is easier for devs because they intuitively know what they're being asked, but as a PM who originally didn't have IT experience, it was a little bit daunting at first.

It could also have an extra hierarchy to be able to allow tasks under stories. It could be the way it is set up at our organization, but currently, under stories, you can have sub-tasks, but you can't create a task. Being able to customize your hierarchy a little bit more would be beneficial because sometimes, the devs would say, "Well, here's a story, and now we need sub-tasks," but as we were building out the sub-tasks, sometimes we had to go a step lower to dig in a little bit more, and we couldn't do that.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It has never gone down for me. It was always reliable, even from the mobile app.

It was fine. It seemed to integrate with all of our systems with ease. At my previous organization, there were probably 500 or 600 people using Jira. There were many different roles including product management, project management, VPs of IT and Ops, IT data services, developers, network engineers, systems engineers, and CBAs. It was a full scale of IT professionals.

At my current organization, where I started working a week ago, we are using Jira, but there are only a handful of people who are actually using it. It is strictly for help-desk tickets. I am trying to implement it and roll it out to the organization on a much larger scale, and I'm going to have to talk to them about pricing and other things. In this new organization, there are probably about 500 or 600 employees in total. Assuming I get the buy-in from everyone, which I don't think would be a problem, I would probably need at least a hundred licenses for users and then expand from there as needed.

I haven't interacted with their technical support, but I bet they would have been awesome.

I have used Smartsheet, MS Project, and Trello. Jira is more software-development-specific and a much easier tool to use.

In my previous organization, I believe its initial setup was complex. I was not at the administrative user level. I was given admin privileges for certain projects but not for the whole Jira. This is the first time I actually have admin privileges over all of Jira, and it was set up for me.

It probably took a few days. It would have also involved a lot of conversations and other stuff.

It would have been in-house. In terms of maintenance, it didn't seem to need maintenance from our side.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise going with the entire Atlassian suite. Don't just use one aspect of Jira, unless you have a very specific need for using bits and pieces. Jira is better when Confluence and everything can be integrated, and you have source code management and all of that from the same software or platform.

I would rate Jira a ten out of ten. I love Jira. It has the ability to just do everything, and it is a one-stop shop for all of your IT software development needs.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MaheshNattanmai
Sr Project Manager at ITM LLC
Streamlines the process of managing our projects, brings transparency, and is lightweight and easy to use

• "Overall, it is very intuitive. It is so lightweight and easy to use. It is easy to manage our product backlog and user stories, and it produces great reports."
  • "It is not capturing the number of hours for which each person has worked on certain things. We use many add-ons to let resources enter the time in the user story itself. We use an add-on called Tempo, but it is kind of a lousy add-on. It is not straightforward. Rather than helping us, it creates a lot of confusion. So, instead of looking out for the additional add-on, I would prefer to have the timesheet entered as a part of Jira itself. They are anyways capturing every information they could for each user story, and then we are able to break down all the task lists. For each task, we're also assigning a resource. So, while we're doing it, why can't they allow the users to enter the time that can be created as a report? Right now, we need to acquire the add-on, and the add-on is not great. It is not helping. The add-on is also not free."

What is our primary use case?

I use it to manage my scrum projects and some of the Kanban projects.

In terms of version, they have been updating it every three weeks. It is a kind of a sprint that they do, just like Google Chrome. So, there is no going back and forth. We use a cloud-based application. So, it is always the updated one.

The type of cloud depends on the client. I've been through all kinds of situations: completely public, semi-public, and private. If it is a public cloud, then it is directly from Atlassian. They are providing it. So, there is no middleware.

How has it helped my organization?

It definitely streamlined the process of managing the projects. Earlier, we had a system scattered all over the place. We had information in Excel, Microsoft Project, and some of the other applications that we have, but now, we have everything in Jira itself. So, we create user stories and groom the product backlog. We have kept everything in Jira. It is our single source for project information that anyone can go to. So, we could see a lot of transparency with Jira.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it is very intuitive. It is so lightweight and easy to use. It is easy to manage our product backlog and user stories, and it produces great reports.

What needs improvement?

It is good for single projects, but if you have to manage the portfolio level of the projects, they have a few add-ons that we need to buy and integrate. They can improve this part to manage it in a better way.

It is not capturing the number of hours for which each person has worked on certain things. We use many add-ons to let resources enter the time in the user story itself. We use an add-on called Tempo, but it is kind of a lousy add-on. It is not straightforward. Rather than helping us, it creates a lot of confusion. So, instead of looking out for the additional add-on, I would prefer to have the timesheet entered as a part of Jira itself. They are anyways capturing every information they could for each user story, and then we are able to break down all the task lists. For each task, we're also assigning a resource. So, while we're doing it, why can't they allow the users to enter the time that can be created as a report? Right now, we need to acquire the add-on, and the add-on is not great. It is not helping. The add-on is also not free.

There could also be some additional reports.

I have been using Jira for seven to eight years.

Stability-wise, it is very good. It is very lightweight. I have used other enterprise-level products to manage the same kind of scrum and Kanban projects and other projects. Other products have many enterprise-level features, but they're very slow and kind of hard to manage.

It is a cloud-based one, so I don't see much difficulty in scaling it. If you want to go from 100 users to 200 users, you will be able to do it without much hassle.

I've been doing a lot of consulting. So, I've seen from five users to the entire organization with more than 500 people using it.

I did contact them through email and discussion forums. I had a limited opportunity to work with them. So, I don't know much about their support.

Jira is a kind of the last one I settled on. Before that, I have used products such as Rally and VersionOne. These two are enterprise-level scrum and Kanban tools that are similar to Jira.

I have also used Asana and Trello. Trello is lightweight, but I wouldn't call it equivalent to Jira. Jira has many features that not many solutions have.

Most of the time, we are working with the cloud-based one. So, we don't have to set up everything. It is all there. You just buy a monthly subscription package. The workflow configuration, however, would be a bit difficult while you're trying to set it up. In addition, if you have to go down to the permission level, it is a bit different.

What other advice do I have?

Workflow-wise, you need to plan well because once you configure it, you cannot often change a workflow. For each project, the workflow might be different. You might have a development team, a QA team, a configuration team, and a deployment team. When you start a task, you just need to make sure you are covering everyone. In terms of the workflow, you should know what would happen if someone is not there, and what are you going to do. So, you need to make sure that you are covering those things. Other than that, you need to know how much you are going to take care of the hierarchical level permissions. These are two primary things, and then, later on, you can relabel quite a lot of things in terms of how you're using the backlog product and user stories.

I would rate Jira an eight out of 10.

GK
Project Manager at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Can customize entries and quickly update them

• "A most valuable feature involves the ability to customize the entries and to update them quickly."
  • "Something I do not like about the new version is that there is a need to browse all the way back to the beginning, should a person click on a task that is specifically for his group and wish to go back and look at the other portfolios or people."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using Jira for schedule management as well as for making updates to our projects. I mention this in my capacity as a project manager. I most recently used the solution this year and did so for scheduled management of our varied tasks and projects. JIRA is actually used to put together an entire portfolio for each one of the teams, meaning for everybody. The solution listed each of our projects individually, with us needing to provide daily and regular updates.

What is most valuable?

A most valuable feature involves the ability to customize the entries and to update them quickly. Unlike what was previously available, the solution allows us to create specific codes and symbols for the individual teams. The new version allows one to customize and to use demarcators. There is a code that can be entered in Align upon completion of a project or task and this apprises the project manager that it is time for its removal.

What needs improvement?

Something I do not like about the new version is that there is a need to browse all the way back to the beginning, should a person click on a task that is specifically for his group and wish to go back and look at the other portfolios or people. However, I cannot state definitively if this situation owes itself to the way our team put the site together or to something administrative. When clicking the back button it would take the person to the wrong page, not to the one he desires. One would actually have no choice but to browse back to the portfolio and to find his group again and open it. Again, it is not clear to me if this problem lies with Jira or with the way our team laid out the site.

I feel Jira is stable. The only hiccup which comes to mind is the one I mentioned, although it is not clear to me if this owed itself to the network we were using or to limitations of the application. Except for this, everything about the solution is stable. The only time a person can not look at the information is when the administrator announces his intention to remove it.

The scalability is pretty good and we started on this process from the moment we started utilizing the solution. While we had only three teams and three sections, between December and January 15th the developers came together and expanded from three to 76 different tasks across the different teams. By February there were over 300 teams. Expansion is easy and did not just encompass our teams but also provided links to others that were outside of our main team set so that there were reference points available.

I would say the tech support is pretty good. I got back a couple of answers in response to an email I sent out.

It was quite easy for me to set up my own pages. I had a field day with creating my own test pages and was able to play around with them and simply test out the different settings. Pulling in new documentation was very easy. The same holds true with pulling in attachments and it was, consequently, easy to set up. As well, I was able to set up certain sub-pages for our team for going in and checking JIRA.

There were initially eight people involved in the maintenance of the solution and deployment of updates. They had the people to whom they answered. We are talking about a large-scale effort. Without taking into account the Jira support line, I would say there were around 12 people managing and administering this version. For our specific team, there were around three. They were the actual decision makers.

I am not in a position to comment on licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

Our team does not use the solution exclusively. There are multiple ones which do, although I cannot state how many teams are doing so. I do know that the entire section of our agency is doing so and this accounts for a lot of people, well over a hundred.

The solution is pretty good and is geared towards those with multiple teams who are using it for the same purposes as us. We use it for providing daily and scrub updates, for which it is really good, as it allows one to track every entry and see when it's entered, timestamp and all. So, if a person has a lot of mission-critical or time-sensitive activities, JIRA is pretty good for tracking and helping to keep everything organized.

While I am still biased towards services at the moment, I rate Jira as an eight out of ten, at it is really good and very functional.

Agile Software Architect at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Stable with good documentation and needs very little maintenance

• "It's a very complete product overall."
  • "It would be ideal if Jira had future functionalities to integrate more easily with various aspects of code reviews."

What is our primary use case?

I am the software developer manager and I use Jira to manage team performance. We're also starting to use Jira for our drives. I used Jira before, for creating user stories from boards, to discuss issues, and many other tasks. Today we use Jira, Confluence, and BitBucket in our work. We practice scrum in our organization.

What is most valuable?

The documentation is very good.

The solution is stable.

You can scale the solution easily.

It's comparable to Azure DevOps.

It's a very complete product overall.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if Jira had future functionalities to integrate more easily with various aspects of code reviews.

It would be nice if, in the future, Jira worked a bit more like Azure DevOps in order to be able to manage work in progress and have the task measurements in strategies for the stories.

In the future, I would like to have traceability features. For example, when you create a task or a sub-task that's related to code. In this task, if we could create a method for retrieve customer information, that would be helpful. In that case, I would want to train with the source code later.

I'm new to the company. Although I've worked with Jira before, I've only been at this company for one week.

Atlassian solutions for me are very good solutions. They are very interesting and very productive. As a user, it is necessary to have a unique portal to make traceability between sub-tasks related to code or programming. You can create and screen or implement a function or a class, related for example to the code that you are pushing in the repository or commit in the repository. If I open the sub-task, I will see the code related to the sub-task. It's very similar like Azure DevOps. Azure DevOps, however, has this functionality for traceability. This functionality will be amazing that Jira would implement something similar.

I prefer to use Azure DevOps instead of Jira for stability or the frequency of use. In my case, for example, I feel that more users, more companies don't think Azure DevOps makes a good choice due to the fact that the cost is higher than Jira.

The scalability is very good if you're carrying a lot of projects here, and if the company needs to have a lot of people to PEA development centers in Mexico. Our technicians can easily test the tool and scale it in order to develop projects.

We do plan to increase usage. We're already training more users. We're increasing quickly so that our teams will be ready for upcoming projects.

We have manuals, technical support, and also technical specialists in the company. I haven't had the opportunity to use directly call the technical support from Atlassian, however, the technical documentation that I have reviewed is excellent. We're satisfied with the level of service we have access to.

We also use Azure DevOps. They are both very similar. The main difference is Azure offers traceability.

The solution is easy to implement. We have the cloud version of Jira in the company, and we don't worry about maintenance, it's automatic.

The cost of Jira is okay. It's better than Azure DevOps. We don't have any licensing fees that I know of.

What other advice do I have?

While I'm new to the company, it's my understanding that it is a partner of Atlassian.

We use the latest version of the solution, as we use the cloud, which updates automatically.

Our company has both Azure DevOps and Jira. I use Jira, and Azure DevOps is used for other purposes. Most projects, all projects that are using Azure DevOps are legacy projects. The new projects and new solutions are using Jira.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate Jira at a ten. It's a very good product.

Both tools, Azure DevOps and Jira are at the same level. In terms of preference, I typically choose Azure DevOps for familiarity but not for features. For features, both are the same. For example, Jira has amazing features that Azure DevOps doesn't have, and also Azure DevOps has the flexibility that I like very much. Both tools have different interesting aspects. However, if Atlassian would implement traceability, I would prefer to use Atlassian. For me, it's more complete and allows for smaller teams than Azure DevOps.

Emanuela Ferrante
Web Project Lead at Nikon Corp
Can be used by technical and non-technical people. Unfortunately some interesting Apps from the Marketplace are not available for the Cloud version.

• "The board has been a very valuable feature because it can be very simple for teams that are not technical. It can also be highly technical and have lots of data for teams that are technical. So we use it for both instances."
  • "The next-generation software projects lack a lot, and I found quite a few bugs. There are some really basic things that you still cannot do. For instance, to put a mandatory due date for a task that you create in one of these projects is still not available. That's a bit of a block because people, especially those who are not technical, are not going to add anything if it's not mandatory. It's going to be difficult to teach them that they should do it anyway."

What is our primary use case?

We started using it in the eComm team for the website and all the digital projects. At the beginning was Jira for software development and the Confluence to move the communication away from our mailboxes. Now, we're also using it for marketing and campaign management. Confluence is now our single source of truth and, in general, we are using it in much more content-based projects.

How has it helped my organization?

In many ways: transparency, governance, new comers have a place where to find everything they need, email communications are kept to a miminum, project management is much easier. Also reporting to top management is improved, as there are a lot of nice features like roadmaps and dashboards that can be used for that.

What is most valuable?

The Kanban boards have been a very valuable feature because they can be either very simple for non-technical teams, but also highly detailed and data-driven for teams that are technical. We use them for both types of team.

Jira is also widely used, so whenever we start a collaboration with an agency/vendor we don't need to spend any time in deciding how are we going to communicate.

It is very flexible as well.

What needs improvement?

The next-generation software projects are very easy to use, but they lack a lot, and I found quite a few bugs. There are some really basic things that you still cannot do. For instance, setting a due date for a task that you create as mandatory is still not available. That's a bit of a blocker because people, especially those who are not technical, are not going to add anything if it's not mandatory. It's going to be difficult to teach them that they should do it anyway.

I'm trying to integrate these tools, and I'm trying to open them to different types of teams with different types of people. What I've found is that I read about a macro (App) or about a rule and think that it is what I need, but then find that things are not available for the cloud version. There are some features that are available only in the server version and not in the cloud version. I found a couple of add-ons that we were really interested in, and we couldn't use them because we're in the cloud version.

Sometimes when I tried to set up some macros/add-ons/apps, they didn't work well or were not flexible at all. For instance, you can add only one Excerpt macro to a specific page. And in the that area you cannot have a table, which means you cannot excerpt a table, only content. In general, if you follow the instructions they give you, it works, but when you try to adapt it to your actual needs, it often doesn't work anymore.

I've been using Jira for five years.

We started very small in just one team in the company, and then slowly we've started expanding it to other teams. Now, we are trying to roll it out to all the European digital teams.

We have had some big issues with customer support. Lately we have renewed our contract, and it has taken us two months to do so. There is no way to have a phone call with anybody. The chat is not there anymore. So, the only option is email, and these kinds of things are very difficult to communicate through email.

Two of us were contacting two or three different people from their costumer service till we found the one who was willing to go the extra mile and actually listen to what our issues were.

What other advice do I have?

Try to be tidy from day one because it can get messy very easily. Jira is very flexible, and you can still move and migrate stuff around. However, the reality is that nobody is going to have the time later on to migrate and clean-up. I also recommend starting small because at the beginning it can be scary, especially for non-technical people. I'm thinking about the amount of notifications you'll get, for instance.

I would definitely start small and then slowly, while people are getting used to it, keep implementing it and adding features like roadmaps or dashboards. Try to have a plan or a scheme of how you want it to look before you actually start.

It's a great product and is widely used, so I would rate it at 8 on a scale from 1 to 10.

AP
Sr. Manager (TCoE) - ALM Platforms & PO &T IT at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
An agile solution which allows for planning and visibility, but lacks scalability and governance

• "The product is good, stable and very cost-effective for small teams."
  • "As the solution is highly configurable, it has very poor governance."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the recent version.

We use it for story and sprint planning, as well as for reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution benefits our organization with its agility, planning and visibility in respect of large teams spanning different geo locations.

What is most valuable?

The tool is well known and popular to use.

The sprint planning is pretty good, as are the reporting piece, retrospective reporting and the planning board.

It is a great tool from the planning perspective, such as that of capacity and sprint planning.

What needs improvement?

As the solution is highly configurable, it has very poor governance. There is nothing which comes out of Jira to go into the product. It is free for all and anyone can create with it. This means that the responsibility lies with the user community to create some form of governance.

Moreover, the solution is geared to small teams. It lacks scalability.

The tool is not good at the enterprise level. This means that, depending on how the person installed the software, the issue of performance may increase commensurate with the number of projects. While plugin for x-ray exists, it is not that mature in test management. Although it's a good tool for many of the smaller clients, once a person goes deeper into it, it's not there, even though it will get the work done.

It is a less desirable solution in controlled environments, such as science, banking and finance, in which there is a need for certain compliance supports.

The solution is not that great for audit histories. It's a great tool when much integration is involved. With cold products, things can always be achieved through other means.

When the teams collaborate, they need multiple metrics to be tracked. With this comes the issue of direct impacts, such as the appearance of one's UI and its usability aspects. The screens have changed greatly in appearance over the last ten years. This is an issue which every software dealt with in line with the growth of usage and complexity.

I have been using Jira for nearly ten years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is good for small teams. It lacks scalability. It does not work well when it must be used across multiple domains and multiple teams which need to collaborate.

The Atlassian strategy is that the solution be open to all to encourage collaboration. But, this raises the issue of how to control the data input and the tool and all that it comprises in respect of the reporting that is generated. This means that poor data quality in the geo projects will equate with poor reporting on it.

As such, supplementation by the teams or organizations using it is required. They must come up with their own rules of governance about who can do what.

The product is not being extensively used at the moment. It is a niche product. I have not seen usage behind it. It involves ID users for certain teams.

We do not have plans to increase usage. This will depend on the feedback we receive.

I have not made use of technical support.

We did not switch to Jira. It is simply one of the products that we also use in addition to an in-house micro focus ALM.

While I was not involved in the initial setup, my understanding is that it is simple. Atlassian puts out many different products and I cannot say for certain how I would have handled ones which are on-premises, compared to those which are cloud-based or server products.

I am not in a position to comment on the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We make use of the solution on Jira Cloud.

While I cannot say with certainty, I would estimate the number of users in our organization at a thousand-plus.

This figure contemplates different departments, such as that involving support.

My advice is that someone in a large enterprise first give consideration to the issue of governance before implementing the solution. For a small team it is ready to use straight out of the box. One need just try and stay with the default workflows. There is no need to overengineer the product.

The product is good, stable and very cost-effective for small teams. These are some of its advantages.

I rate Jira as a seven out of ten.

JD
IT Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use and easy to onboard, but needs better documentation and better integration with other tools

• "It was easy to use. The consultants that we had on board were familiar with it. So, obviously, having a community that had used it before or was familiar with it was a positive thing."
  • "If I'm comparing it to ALM Octane, the documentation is not as robust as ALM Octane's documentation. So, they can improve on the documentation side."

What is our primary use case?

We had a regulatory requirement through our legislature to collect motor or voter information for residents of California. So, if you basically wanted to sign up to vote, you could do so at a department of motor vehicles. The Jira instance was used for what we call the new motor voter, which is the online premise to register to vote when you conducted a DMV transaction, such as vehicle registration, driver's license, renewal, etc.

We had its latest version. It is online. In the cloud, we set up an account for the department, and then add users as needed. It is a government cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

It documented our business requirements.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

If I'm comparing it to ALM Octane, the documentation is not as robust as ALM Octane's documentation. So, they can improve on the documentation side.

Another enhancement could be in the area of interfacing with other products or connectivity. It could have better integration with other tools.

I have been using it since 2017. It has been about five years.

Its stability is good. There are no issues with the performance.

Its scalability is fine. At the peak, we had about 15 users, and towards the end, we had five users.

Our usage was not extensive. We used it only for one project, which was the motor voter project. We don't have any plans to increase the usage. We have stopped paying the subscription fee from the last month because we migrated everything over to ALM Octane for our business requirements.

We didn't need to call them at all.

We were using IBM DOORS Next Generation for business requirements. It was on-premises, and we weren't able to make it available through a URL to the external consultant or workforce. That's why we basically went with Jira. IBM DOORS Next Generation wasn't flexible enough to accommodate all of our remote workforce.

It was straightforward and easy. You basically create an account for your department, and then you onboard your users. There is a subscription fee per user for each month through Confluence.

It took us a week to get it up and running. It involved reading, studying it, figuring it out, and then doing it. It was pretty simple to set up data and add users. So, we onboarded it within a week.

The challenge for us while setting it up was that we had to put it on a credit card, which is not a good thing for the government. Typically, the government likes to pay through a purchase order or procurement process, but because it was a monthly subscription fee, it had to be on a credit card. We had to use an executive card in order for us to pay the bill every month, which was really kind of a pain because our accounting office always had to make sure and check the number of users. They would ask if I had 15 users this month. I am the administrator of the application, so, of course, I know how many users are there. I can see how many users are there and how many are using it and remove them if they don't. I think the state just needs to modify its procurement process because I think ours is pretty old school. I don't think that Atlassian needs to adapt to ours, but that was the only challenge we had in setting it up and configuring.

We had an in-house as well as a procured consultant, but he was through the state, not directly with Jira or Confluence.

The ballpark figure is about $100 a month.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to use and easy to onboard. It has got a good foundation of offerings for the business requirements if you're working on an agile project or user stories.

I would rate Jira a seven out of 10.

Other