AP
Sr. Manager (TCoE) - ALM Platforms & PO &T IT at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
An agile solution which allows for planning and visibility, but lacks scalability and governance

• "The product is good, stable and very cost-effective for small teams."
  • "As the solution is highly configurable, it has very poor governance."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the recent version.

We use it for story and sprint planning, as well as for reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution benefits our organization with its agility, planning and visibility in respect of large teams spanning different geo locations.

What is most valuable?

The tool is well known and popular to use.

The sprint planning is pretty good, as are the reporting piece, retrospective reporting and the planning board.

It is a great tool from the planning perspective, such as that of capacity and sprint planning.

What needs improvement?

As the solution is highly configurable, it has very poor governance. There is nothing which comes out of Jira to go into the product. It is free for all and anyone can create with it. This means that the responsibility lies with the user community to create some form of governance.

Moreover, the solution is geared to small teams. It lacks scalability.

The tool is not good at the enterprise level. This means that, depending on how the person installed the software, the issue of performance may increase commensurate with the number of projects. While plugin for x-ray exists, it is not that mature in test management. Although it's a good tool for many of the smaller clients, once a person goes deeper into it, it's not there, even though it will get the work done.

It is a less desirable solution in controlled environments, such as science, banking and finance, in which there is a need for certain compliance supports.

The solution is not that great for audit histories. It's a great tool when much integration is involved. With cold products, things can always be achieved through other means.

When the teams collaborate, they need multiple metrics to be tracked. With this comes the issue of direct impacts, such as the appearance of one's UI and its usability aspects. The screens have changed greatly in appearance over the last ten years. This is an issue which every software dealt with in line with the growth of usage and complexity.

I have been using Jira for nearly ten years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is good for small teams. It lacks scalability. It does not work well when it must be used across multiple domains and multiple teams which need to collaborate.

The Atlassian strategy is that the solution be open to all to encourage collaboration. But, this raises the issue of how to control the data input and the tool and all that it comprises in respect of the reporting that is generated. This means that poor data quality in the geo projects will equate with poor reporting on it.

As such, supplementation by the teams or organizations using it is required. They must come up with their own rules of governance about who can do what.

The product is not being extensively used at the moment. It is a niche product. I have not seen usage behind it. It involves ID users for certain teams.

We do not have plans to increase usage. This will depend on the feedback we receive.

I have not made use of technical support.

We did not switch to Jira. It is simply one of the products that we also use in addition to an in-house micro focus ALM.

While I was not involved in the initial setup, my understanding is that it is simple. Atlassian puts out many different products and I cannot say for certain how I would have handled ones which are on-premises, compared to those which are cloud-based or server products.

I am not in a position to comment on the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We make use of the solution on Jira Cloud.

While I cannot say with certainty, I would estimate the number of users in our organization at a thousand-plus.

This figure contemplates different departments, such as that involving support.

My advice is that someone in a large enterprise first give consideration to the issue of governance before implementing the solution. For a small team it is ready to use straight out of the box. One need just try and stay with the default workflows. There is no need to overengineer the product.

The product is good, stable and very cost-effective for small teams. These are some of its advantages.

I rate Jira as a seven out of ten.

JD
IT Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use and easy to onboard, but needs better documentation and better integration with other tools

• "It was easy to use. The consultants that we had on board were familiar with it. So, obviously, having a community that had used it before or was familiar with it was a positive thing."
  • "If I'm comparing it to ALM Octane, the documentation is not as robust as ALM Octane's documentation. So, they can improve on the documentation side."

What is our primary use case?

We had a regulatory requirement through our legislature to collect motor or voter information for residents of California. So, if you basically wanted to sign up to vote, you could do so at a department of motor vehicles. The Jira instance was used for what we call the new motor voter, which is the online premise to register to vote when you conducted a DMV transaction, such as vehicle registration, driver's license, renewal, etc.

We had its latest version. It is online. In the cloud, we set up an account for the department, and then add users as needed. It is a government cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

It documented our business requirements.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

If I'm comparing it to ALM Octane, the documentation is not as robust as ALM Octane's documentation. So, they can improve on the documentation side.

Another enhancement could be in the area of interfacing with other products or connectivity. It could have better integration with other tools.

I have been using it since 2017. It has been about five years.

Its stability is good. There are no issues with the performance.

Its scalability is fine. At the peak, we had about 15 users, and towards the end, we had five users.

Our usage was not extensive. We used it only for one project, which was the motor voter project. We don't have any plans to increase the usage. We have stopped paying the subscription fee from the last month because we migrated everything over to ALM Octane for our business requirements.

We didn't need to call them at all.

We were using IBM DOORS Next Generation for business requirements. It was on-premises, and we weren't able to make it available through a URL to the external consultant or workforce. That's why we basically went with Jira. IBM DOORS Next Generation wasn't flexible enough to accommodate all of our remote workforce.

It was straightforward and easy. You basically create an account for your department, and then you onboard your users. There is a subscription fee per user for each month through Confluence.

It took us a week to get it up and running. It involved reading, studying it, figuring it out, and then doing it. It was pretty simple to set up data and add users. So, we onboarded it within a week.

The challenge for us while setting it up was that we had to put it on a credit card, which is not a good thing for the government. Typically, the government likes to pay through a purchase order or procurement process, but because it was a monthly subscription fee, it had to be on a credit card. We had to use an executive card in order for us to pay the bill every month, which was really kind of a pain because our accounting office always had to make sure and check the number of users. They would ask if I had 15 users this month. I am the administrator of the application, so, of course, I know how many users are there. I can see how many users are there and how many are using it and remove them if they don't. I think the state just needs to modify its procurement process because I think ours is pretty old school. I don't think that Atlassian needs to adapt to ours, but that was the only challenge we had in setting it up and configuring.

We had an in-house as well as a procured consultant, but he was through the state, not directly with Jira or Confluence.

The ballpark figure is about $100 a month.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to use and easy to onboard. It has got a good foundation of offerings for the business requirements if you're working on an agile project or user stories.

I would rate Jira a seven out of 10.

Other
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Hemnaad Chinnuraj
Senior Software Engineer at Datta Tech Consulting
MSP
Allows us to manage all defects and requirements from one point and has good integration with third-party software

• "The most valuable feature is the feature of assigning. Whenever I have an issue, Jira doesn't stop at just letting me describe the issue. I can also assign the issue to a developer, and the developer gets notified about it. After he is able to work on it, he can update the status and revert back to me through the same platform. It really avoids a lot of communication over email and phone. This the feature that I really like about Jira. I always use Jira with my team."
  • "Its UI can be improved a little bit. I know this a business tool and not a commercial tool, but it could be a little bit more interactive like the HP ALM/Quality Center, which provides you the results of graphs and gives you a lot of visual representations. I feel Jira lacks a little bit in this aspect."

What is our primary use case?

It is mostly used for communication, managing requirements, managing defects, and managing stories. We don't communicate much through Outlook. The majority of the work-related issues are assigned to us, or we assign them to developers through this solution. I've been using this solution for managing requirements and defects. I have also been using it for logging user stories and general communication.

How has it helped my organization?

Best in ensuring 100% test coverage through forward and reverse traceability matrices capability that allows users to track User stories, SRS, Test Cases, Test Instances & Defects all using simple links.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Produce improvements suggestions:

User Interface/ User experience could be improved by expanding on visual capabilities of links such as  Stories, Requirements, Scenarios, Cases, & Defects.

User Dashboards could be improved by increasing ease of use of charts and other interactive options such as Boards.

I have been using this solution since 2011.

It has been stable. I haven't had any downtime or issues with stability. It has been working as expected.

In terms of integrating Jira with other apps, I've actually used Jira to connect to ADPART or other client defect tools. Sometimes, I had to use the connections, but it was not a problem. There is a standard procedure where I had to request for the details, and after I got the details, I needed support from the client to get it connected. There were no issues, and the process is quite standard. It is not fast, but it requires some time.

At my current company, only I am using this solution. We are a startup, and we have less than ten people working here. However, on my client's site, a lot of people are using it.

I've used their technical support only once or twice in my entire experience with this tool. Once, I was not able to log in, so I had to call them, and the other time, it was a problem with my virtual machine. It was not a problem with the tool. I was having problems getting in. I raised tickets, and then I had to call them. It was nice, but it took a little bit of time. Overall, the customer experience was all right.

Before this, I used an HP tool. I started with using Quality Center, and then I upgraded to ALM, and ever since, it has been Jira. Jira is open source, and some of my clients prefer open source, and they have been using it for a long time. Before Jira, ALM/Quality Center was my major go-to tool.

It was straightforward. I just got the details from the client, and I started using it.

Save by reducing errors and improving accuracy.

Start with requirement. If requirement requires tight security and confidentiality, it is highly recommended to employ expert assistance. Whereas if the requirement is agile in nature and is at very initial stages, it is best to start leveraging open source to some extent.

It was solely based on requirement and preference of business stakeholders.

Some areas of business require to run licensed and proprietary software applications whereas some can have the opportunity to leverage open or closed source software.

What other advice do I have?

It is essential to track efforts right from the beginning of the project i.e the from the day of planning and incubation to delivery and deployment.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
Yelena Levitina
Information Technology Program Manager at Reframe Solutions
A very comprehensive, flexible product; premium version offers great advanced planning features

• "A very comprehensive product; easy to set up and is very user-friendly."
  • "Lacks field-level permission in the cloud version."

What is our primary use case?

I personally use Jira for project management and agile software development. I'm an information technology program manager and we are customers of Jira.

How has it helped my organization?

We're a software development company and Jira is an essential element of our daily work. We wouldn't be able to function without it.

What is most valuable?

Jira is a very comprehensive and flexible product. It's easy to set up, easy to learn, and is very user-friendly. If you're using the cloud version from Atlassian, there are no issues with maintenance or performance. I especially like the advanced planning features in the premium version and there are plenty of apps available if any functionality is missing.

What needs improvement?

The only complaint I have about Jira is that there is no field-level permission for the issues in the Jira cloud version. You can get an app for the server version, but the cloud version doesn't allow that type of functionality. For example, I write a user story that goes to the customer for approval. Once approved, I would want to be able to lock the description for that user story so it can't be changed, but I'm unable to do that. I can lock the whole story but not the description alone. It creates a problem because when I need to add the story to a sprint, I need to change the sprint number field. It can't be done because the whole issue is locked or lacks the properties to be edited.

The other thing missing is a straight connection to the pipelines and the source control. I think it should be integrated with GitHub and other products that developers use. It's the lack of integration that's the main reason we are considering moving to Azure DevOps.

I've been using this solution for several years.

I haven't had a single issue with Jira.

Jira is easily scalable to any level you want. Our company has 60 to 70 users working on multiple projects and we have a second installation specifically for one of our customers which has around 25 users. The users in our company have traditional roles; developers, business analysts, QA engineers, project managers and customers. We're using it constantly.

Jira has a two-tier pricing system; a basic level and a premium level, which I think could be broken down a little more, but the pricing and billing are reasonable. You can add or remove users and they bill you dynamically month to month based on the number of users. It would be nice to have tiered pricing based on user numbers because, for large companies with hundreds of users, it's going to become expensive really quickly. It's acceptable for us and we have what we need.

We are considering switching to DevOps and are currently carrying out an evaluation. The main reason is that our offshore team uses DevOps for everything. We started with Jira so they had to use it for us, but we're hearing that DevOps is better integrated with source control and releases, so it's something we're considering now.

I've had a look at the pricing of DevOps and it's really strange. Basic pricing is $6 per user per month or if you want to include test plans it jumps to $52 per user per month, which is an astronomical jump. I'm not sure whether it's $52 for every single user on the system. Jira charges $7 per user, per month for the basic version or $14 per user, per month for the premium one.

What other advice do I have?

The product is very useful. As a program manager, I recommend it wholeheartedly. The cloud version is easy to set up, and there's no maintenance required. I haven't incurred any issues with performance or updates being applied incorrectly or any bugs.

I rate the solution nine out of 10.

SM
Test Manager /Architect @ Testing Practice at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A user-friendly solution, but it'll help if they had their own test execution feature

• "Jira is very user friendly, easy to install, and easy to access."
  • "Although it covers the overall requirements and measurements, it'll help if they had their own test execution feature."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for the overall issue management in development projects. We use it to maintain a high level during each sprint, which is a requirement. We also use Jira for issue management during testing. We create a test plan and manage it all with Jira.

What is most valuable?

Jira is very user friendly, easy to install, and easy to access. The most valuable feature in Jira is release management. You can also manage a consolidated dashboard that can be accessed globally by all the team members. We can do all this with Jira while engaging in development.

One of the key benefits is that it's a single repository for all your SDLC. Based on the user ID and password, anyone can access it, and they also have a single sign-on. It's not that very complicated to do issue management with Jira. We can also pull Jira data and generate quality metrics that can be used for the overall optimization of the test execution.

What needs improvement?

Although it covers the overall requirements and measurements, it'll help if they had their own test execution feature. Because right now, we're using third-party tools to test executions.

If there are multiple projects, it could be a good thing if they had a reporting method where you have a portfolio view with predictions and so on. If there were a way to manage all the SLAs, that would be helpful too.

Jira is stable and meets our requirements. You don't have to use it out of the box as you can customize it to your requirements.

Scalability isn't a problem because we have used it with over 200 users. You don't have to stick to any out of the box features as you can customize them.

Almost everything is covered in their documentation. As payment is required for support, we mostly follow the documentation.

We used Microsoft DSP before. We were looking during a licensing phase for something where the non-licensing cost wouldn't be more, and the system requirement would be minimum. That's what qualified Jira, and we went with the data.

The initial setup is very good. I wouldn't say that it's very complicated. They have customization options for things like issue management. You can customize it based on your terminology and project.

For a simple set up, it may take around four hours. If it's a 20 member project, it's quite easy to set up Jira. But if it's to be made available enterprise-wide, it takes longer. I had complex projects where it took anywhere from three to four days or a week to set up. You should also note that it may take new users a week to understand it properly.

We tried to do a total uniform deployment, but it's not always possible because every project has some customization. A single user can deploy Jira. I have deployed and managed 20 to 22 users in a Jira instance. Basically, the Jira administrator creates the template. But if the project requires customization to write queries and run tests, that will require some additional skill.

As a company, we get a subsidized price, and it's lower than what's quoted on their website.

What other advice do I have?

To a certain extent, maybe 70% to 80%, Jira will meet your project development budget. It has integrations with other platforms, so if you want to put it in your DevOps continuous integration flow, it can be done.

If you're engaging in software development, there should be a single repository where you store everything. Then you can start managing it with Jira based on the business requirements and the user stories.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Jira a seven.

DK
IT Service Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
A useful and easy-to-use solution for handling tickets and tasks and managing processes

• "I'm working in the IT department, and the ticketing system is the most important service for us. We are also using some automation add-ons. It a very good product for handling tickets and tasks and managing processes. It is also very useful and easy to use."
  • "It would be very practical if you can more freely reach the information that is already inside the system. Currently, we have to buy add-ons for it. There is a lot of information in the Jira system that you can handle only through add-ons. You cannot reach such information on your own. If you want to use this information, which is already in the system, you have to buy some add-on to use. For example, information about how much time an assignee is spending on a ticket is there in the system, but you cannot access it without an add-on. JQL is a very good way to reach the data inside Jira. If we can reach more objects, even through JQL, it would be great."

What is our primary use case?

We are basically using it to support the UAT tasks. We are also using it for IT support task handling and working together as a team in our company.

At my workplace, we are using its most updated version.

What is most valuable?

I'm working in the IT department, and the ticketing system is the most important service for us. We are also using some automation add-ons. It a very good product for handling tickets and tasks and managing processes. It is also very useful and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

It would be very practical if you can more freely reach the information that is already inside the system. Currently, we have to buy add-ons for it. There is a lot of information in the Jira system that you can handle only through add-ons. You cannot reach such information on your own. If you want to use this information, which is already in the system, you have to buy some add-on to use. For example, information about how much time an assignee is spending on a ticket is there in the system, but you cannot access it without an add-on. JQL is a very good way to reach the data inside Jira. If we can reach more objects, even through JQL, it would be great.

There are a few small functions that we are missing in it. For example, you cannot rate a ticket. If you would like to use a rating for a ticket, you cannot give stars or something like that.

I have been using this solution for more than five years.

We rarely come across any issues. Sometimes, it slows down a little bit, and then usually, we just have to rebuild the index. That's all. It needs lots of resources and CPU memory. If the resources are okay, we don't feel any problem with it.

It is probably easier to scale on the cloud. The on-premise is not so scalable, but if you can define the resources, it works well.

In terms of the number of users, we have around 750 users.

We do not directly contact Atlassian. We have a support company that helps us with any situation.

It is simple to initiate or install the product. It is easy and simple, but if you make some designs inside and build some projects with some automatization, it can be more complex.

We first tried to build the system inside the Docker environment, but it was not a success. So, we switched to the normal installation mode. Installing the product and making it work took just a few days. It included building servers and a database.

We do it on our own, but we have some strong support. We have outside support in case of any problem with it.

In terms of maintenance, you have to do the updates. You have to upgrade the system and handle the add-ons versions. If you build the inside environment in the Jira, you always have to fast forward to the project.

We have two teams to handle the maintenance. For standard maintenance, where you are upgrading the versions, we have an IT professional team for it. For the inside environment of the Jira projects and automation functions, we have a service management team.

If you are using just Jira, it is cheap, but if you start to use it and you feel you need some more services or more functions, then you have to buy add-ons, which can make it expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Jira an eight out of 10. It is definitely not perfect, but it is almost perfect.

NB
Business Analyst at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good customized dashboards with good scalability and good stability

• "Most of my work is keeping track of what's been going on and identifying what is blocking future work. What I like about this solution is you can create a consolidated customized dashboard out of your files to identify what's been going on and identify who has how much data assigned to them."
  • "The challenge which I frequently see from Jira is the label. When you search for a label sometimes, it suddenly disappears. If there's a mismatch due to all-caps or lower case, you won't be able to find it. It won't even come up as a recommendation or suggestion. That's something that can be really frustrating, as people create labels in their own specific ways and then no one else can find anything."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for product development efforts and documentation. We use Confluence as well for documentation.

What is most valuable?

Most of my work is keeping track of what's been going on and identifying what is blocking future work. What I like about this solution is you can create a consolidated customized dashboard out of your files to identify what's been going on and identify who has how much data assigned to them. You can begin to understand where roadblocks are and how to streamline efforts effectively. It's been helpful.

What needs improvement?

The challenge which I frequently see from Jira is the label. When you search for a label sometimes, it suddenly disappears. If there's a mismatch due to all-caps or lower case, you won't be able to find it. It won't even come up as a recommendation or suggestion. That's something that can be really frustrating, as people create labels in their own specific ways and then no one else can find anything. While it should be a standard thing across the company to have labels created in certain way, the system should be able to pull up suggestions of labels that are close.

The product could be more intuitive.

If something isn't getting resolved, we generally aren't getting any alerts to warn us to this fact. We don't get any visibility on if something's been open for a few months even if it should have been closed after a few days. We need some sort of system that shows us items that are lagging.

I've been using the solution for about six months to a year or so. It hasn't been too long. Our company has been using it since they started doing development work.

In my experience, most of the time it's very stable. Sometimes we have a few bugs here and there in Jira. However, it doesn't affect our work in a very big way. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I'm not sure about the whole company, however, on my team, we use it extensively. We have around 30 to 35 people using it on this team. Obviously, they are using it on other teams as well, however, I don't know the count of each team.

In terms of scalability, we are able to add new users as needed, and that has never been a problem for us.

I've never had to reach out to technical support. I don't know how responsive or knowledgeable they are.

I didn't previously use another solution, Jira is the first product I've used for this purpose.

I actually was not involved in the initial process of the setup, therefore, I can't comment on the process. I have no idea as to if it was difficult or straightforward.

I'm not aware of any regular maintenance that is needed on the product.

I don't deal with the financial aspect of the product. I cannot comment on if it is overly expensive or not as I don't handle billing or payments.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Jira.

I'm not sure of which version of the solution we are using.

I'd recommend others go ahead and try the trial version of the product. If, after that, it seems to fit your needs, a company should go ahead and implement it fully.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Osama  Shatarah
Product Owner at mega trust
Easy to set up, good UX, and simple to use without a tutorial

• "The scalability is good."
  • "There needs to be a way to export a user story."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for software management.

What is most valuable?

I really like the linking and user stories, and the formatting on the solution. The formatting options and linking the user stories have been great.

You can export the whole backlog if you want to - including your roadmap.

The initial setup is easier than the TFS.

The UX and useability os good, especially if you compare it to a solution such as TFS.

You can use it right away without too much of a tutorial.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is good.

What needs improvement?

I would suggest Jira makes the format compatible with Microsoft Word. Currently, when you copy and paste something from Jira, such as tables, it won't be the same when you copy it into a Word file. There are formatting issues.

If you have 70 or 100 stories, it doesn't work to copy and paste or export each one individually. There needs to be better configuration at a categorization level.

There needs to be a way to export a user story.

By default, Jira is epic and story only. It would be ideal if there was a different categorization between the two. It would be nice if there was a third story option.

There should be a plugin for test cases.

If the solution doesn't have third-party plugins for some features, they should add it into the main offering to make it more complete.

I don't have a lot of experience. I only have about four months of experience or something like that. It's not a huge amount of experience, however, I got familiar with the basic features of Jira over that time. The first two months might have been on a trial version.

The solution is stable most of the time. Only rarely are there some points where it's not stable. For example, when you view some issues, sometimes it gives an error. Then, after that, if you refresh or you open it at another time, it may work again.

The solution can scale. If a company wants to expand it, it can do so.

We have more than ten people on the solution.

If you need to find answers, the community FAQs are pretty good. I've found issues in there in the past that have helped me troubleshoot. So far, I'm pretty satisfied with that aspect of support.

The initial setup is straightforward and simple. It's not difficult or complex.

I don't deal with pricing, billing, or licensing. I can't speak to the exact cost of the solution.

We likely pay a licensing fee as we have more than ten people using the solution, however, I can't say what the exact cost is.

I have been researching the difference between Jira and TFS, to decide what is better for our team to use. I'm very familiar with Jira. However, some of my team members have experience with TFS. I'm trying to decide which management tool we will use in an upcoming project.

I have found that, with TFS, a lot of the features are built-in, however, with Jira, you are required to add in plugins.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. For the most part, we have been satisfied with its capabilities.

I would recommend the solution, however, I would warn that likely a company will also need to add many plugins in order to get the solution to do what they need it to.

Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.