JG
Manager at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Simple, extensible, and requires minimal training to get started

• "There are a couple of things that I find valuable about Jira, the first being its architecture. For instance, I like that you can create dashboards easily, which makes it very user-friendly. You don't need much training on that. You can just get right to it and people are able to use almost all of Jira's features with little training."
  • "In terms of improvement, I think Jira (Jira Agile, specifically) can be made more user-friendly. Most of the time, when people are somewhat used to the process, they find it easy to work with. But the thing is, if I want to create a sprint, I'd like the ability for it to come out like a kind of board or something like that. For example, they could offer something like a wizard for users who want to quickly create a sprint on the spot with a few clicks. I think that could be useful."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use Jira software, including Jira Issue Manager, for bug tracking and project management, and have done so for over a decade. Then in the last six years we have also used Jira Agile in a lot of our project management work. We use the enterprise version of Jira.

What is most valuable?

The simplicity of Jira is the part that I like the most, as well as the way in which it can be extended. For example, I like that you can send data to and from Jira easily, and it integrates well with lots of third-party plugins.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, I think Jira (Jira Agile, specifically) can be made more user-friendly. Most of the time, when people are somewhat used to the process, they find it easy to work with. But the thing is, if I want to create a sprint, I'd like the ability for it to come out like a kind of board or something like that. For example, they could offer something like a wizard for users who want to quickly create a sprint on the spot with a few clicks. I think that could be useful.

When I first started using Jira and we were in the middle of coming up with a solution, I found that there could be better separation of tasks when it comes to user stories and epics. For example, right now we can take users and sub-task them, but the developer is not able to easily ask for or request a task as a separate thing to work on.

Other than that, I would definitely appreciate more kinds of features in general. But we have already requested these from Jira ourselves with their voting system. These requests are in their backlog now and we hope to see them in future soon.

We have been using Jira for more than ten years.

I feel it is quite stable, not least because it has been around for a long time. For the last few years, we have never see any issues from our location or any other location that our people use it from.

We have never had to use Jira's support as far as I know.

I wasn't fully involved in the initial enterprise setup of Jira, but I remember first trying out some of the plugins on my laptop and I found it all rather easy. And for the people in charge of the main setup, they were able to install it and set it up quite fast.

We are using the enterprise license which is nice because it ensures that we always have the latest versions of Jira software.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Jira for project management and similar uses, as well as other products from Atlassian like Bamboo.

Jira isn't what you would call a "coded solution" for scrum or anything like that, but it's able to do a lot of different things for people who are looking for that kind of thing. If you are looking for a custom-made solution specifically for agile or scrum, then you can go try other products like Valley or others. But if you want a good general-purpose project management system with solid integration solutions like Bamboo, then I think Jira is the product for you.

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

KS
Chief Software Architect at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Scalable, great for project management, and is very stable

• "Overall, the solution is very nice and has a variety of great features."
  • "For me, the solution is too complicated as it has too many features. It would be nice if they could streamline things."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use the solution for project management. We are using Jira for our software development purposes only. Usually, we create a Jira project for each project and develop it according to its size. We assign team members who will belong to those projects, each project. Then, we manage everything using Jira.

Basically, the main purpose of using Jira is just planning and then checking issues. That's all for now.

How has it helped my organization?

We can lean on Jira completely during projects, even in terms of all the small things, surrounding planning. There are error reports, and we can take in the progress. We are not using any other tool except Jira for managing software development, including the testing and reports and following up.

What is most valuable?

Overall, the solution is very nice and has a variety of great features.

The stability of the solution has been quite good.

We haven't had any issues with scalability.

It's a very useful project management tool.

What needs improvement?

They can make it a little bit better in terms of the user interface. Some things are very scattered. It is a bit confusing. They developed a new user interface, and I cannot follow the changes. There's documentation, however, it's not so good.

The solution has a pretty steep learning curve. It would be great if they could lessen the learning curve by providing more templates and ready-made options for new users to take advantage of.

I've been using the solution for almost two years. It's been a while.

In terms of stability, we haven't experienced any crash or anything like that. There are no bugs or glitches. We haven't suffered any issue with the Jira service itself so far.

Due to the fact that we are using the cloud service of Jira, we don't have any experience with any lagging or delaying or any of those kinds of issues yet. The team is managing this scalability and can scale up and down their resources automatically in the background. I don't have any issues with the scalability that's provided.

We are a small organization. We only have a team of 20 developers. We might increase usage in the future, should our team grow.

We haven't had to reach out to technical support just yet. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I wasn't directly involved in the implementation process. I can't speak to what cloud the product is on or the exact details of the deployment.

We have only two people for the Jira management. We are only paying attention to security. We ensure we are giving the right permission to the right person, that is the only factor we are focusing on.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users.

As we are using the cloud version of the solution, we are always on the most up-to-date version.

For simple project management, Jira is too much. If you want to manage a project precisely, however, then I can recommend Jira. It's not only a software-specific version. There are different versions of Jira so that you can apply it to different areas - not just software. That is one good aspect. I'd say that it is very polished, and has a very well-defined approach to project management.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've mostly been happy with how it's worked for us.

Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Hashem Alhariri
IT Testing Manager at Cloud Solutions
Quick and easy to customize

• "The feature that I have found most valuable is its ease of use. I don't need to train anyone to use it, I just give them access and they can use it to add comments, move their issues, change the status, monitor, read, and so on."
  • "There is a difference between their cloud and their server versions. The next-gen project, which is an advanced feature that allows you to visualize the road map of your delivery over multiple products and over time, is not available yet for the sever version. It appears there in the list, but it's still not right. I've tried to use it many times and I am watching the device show their tracker, but it seems they intentionally want this to increase the utilization of the cloud instead of the server. It is really a nice feature and it's a shame that we don't have it."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for multiple uses; project management, task management, and we are starting to use it for release management.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is its ease of use. I don't need to train anyone to use it, I just give them access and they can use it to add comments, move their issues, change the status, monitor, read, and so on. For these results, it is very helpful. I also like the customization that we had for the workflows for the different issues, it's quick and easy to customize. The reporting is also easy and the dashboards that they provide are really helpful and simple. It does not need a lot of experience with reporting and presentation to get to what you need. Also, most of the advanced reports that you need to create can be exported as Excel files.

What needs improvement?

I have been watching an issue develop. There is a difference between their cloud and their  server versions. The next-gen project, which is an advanced feature that allows you to visualize the road map of your delivery over multiple products and over time, is not available yet for the sever version. It appears there in the list, but it's still not right. I've tried to use it many times and I am watching the device show their tracker, but it seems they intentionally want this to increase the utilization of the cloud instead of the server. It is really a nice feature and it's a shame that we don't have it.

Additionally, it would be really nice if they added some custom reports so that you could build your own report through any open source or commercial plug-in like Crystal Reports. That would be much easier for them to accelerate. You can create a report template and use it frequently.

There are a few features I would like to see in the next release. For example, the layouts could be easier to configure on the screens. I know it's easy to customize. For each issue type you can create and modify your screen. But it would be easier if you could enlarge, copy, clone, and visualize them in a model in a visual way. It's really hard for me as an admin to compare different screens or even to copy one screen with one additional field. I believe that is creating a lot of confusion for end-users because usually admins are looking at each field independently, where it's located, in which position, and which screen. So that all needs to be improved from an administration point of view to make it easier to visualize and compare between the screens.

I have been using Jira for almost a year now.

In terms of stability, it is fine.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward. The deployment is very easy. It just took one server.

It took one day to set up the database and then start the configuration. That is straightforward. And I believe they have a newer deployment model that they can deploy on Docker and other container platforms.

I did it myself with some help from other team members.

What other advice do I have?

Jira is an amazing tool, but to get the process streamlined is a challenge. So don't start from Jira. Start with your process first. Agree on the workflow, identify all the stakeholders, and then from there you can go ahead with Jira and implement anything.

On a scale of one to ten, I give Jira a 10.

Everything already provided is perfect. We are using Jira perfectly for one year now and it's absolutely great.

LX
IT Business Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees

• "The most valuable features are that it is good for tracking the issues and it provides for the usage of Confluence."
  • "It is a bit harder for management or the business partners. I used to search the Atlassian Community online for some troubleshooting issues and I think there were some issues that seemed to not be a big problem for other similar applications, like Microsoft Teams, that were not considered by Jira."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Jira is for requests for tracking the software development.

We use Jira for the process, especially for password tracking. We're the issue management team for development. We are quite new, so I was very interested in ITSM documentation provided by Jira. But, I needed time to readjust that to our organization as per the line of business.

Overall I think it's helpful, but I need some time to absorb all the knowledge.

How has it helped my organization?

People have different opinions about whether it has improved our organization. I think it is quite a valuable tool and platform to streamline tasks, make project plans, and manage the release events.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is good for tracking the issues and it provides for the usage of Confluence. The documentation is another supporting part for development. I didn't go that deep, so that's what I see as the end user.

In general, it's very convenient for people that work in the software development business.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, it is a bit harder for management or the business partners. I used to search the Atlassian Community online for some troubleshooting issues and I think there were some issues that seemed to not be a big problem for other similar applications, like Microsoft Teams, that were not considered by Jira.

So I hope those will be considered soon. I think for some, the help documentation has been hard to track, so that I had a bit of difficulty finding the solutions. I'm the end user. I'm not the problem solver.

I have been using Jira for less than a year.

It does have some bugs or glitches sometimes. Like with Confluence, it always has some glitches, like the last edits I made minutes ago. It happens sometimes.

I don't know about the scalability. I just use the very basic one.

Only our IT people are using it. It's easier for IT people to understand it than anyone else.

We have our technical support from our vendor. They are very supportive.

No, we didn't use another solution previously. We used to manage those processes manually, like the spreadsheet. That's why we would like to switch to the Atlassian platform for some automations and for a mature platform to help us.

We had our vendor help to set up originally. Later, we made some customizations by other means. But because this is still at a very early age for us, it's a bit random on previous customizations. There were some blockages for people to understand from different perspectives. But I think so far the business people may not understand those procedures because it was originally designed for the coders and for the software development business.

We are using the Community license for Jira since we are a not-for-profit organization.

What other advice do I have?

I think the technical support and the customization of the line of business are the most important points for me as a BA. I don't think the license for a business is low.

We think - so far so good.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Jira an eight out of 10.

Nothing is perfect.

Prem Lingala
Customer Success Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good Agile tracking features, easy to manage sprints, and allows for comments and tags

• "All of the tracking features are the most valuable because it allows me to see where we stand today and every day."
  • "There should be a way to integrate the mobile application or in some way, make it more clear because at first instance, I didn't understand how to use it."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for project management.

It can be used across a team. Managers can assign tasks and then they can track the progress. They can put the start dates, end dates, and everyday comments.

They can upload the relevant files to that module.

Jira is used to manage a sprint, which is the terminology used in the agile practice of project management. Sprints can be tracked fully using the Jira software. A sprint is typically a part or a subset of the entire work. It has a definite goal.

For example, if I am building test software, and building the login page is one module, then I can track the work created from the starting stage to the end.

It's a part of an entire software application. If a login page of a website is a subset of an entire website, I can track that right from when it started, how long it takes, what is pending, and how long the control test is.

Basically, you can clump it all together as if it is a team and you can measure the speed of the team. It enables the predictability of a project and helps determine when it can go live.

What is most valuable?

All of the tracking features are the most valuable because it allows me to see where we stand today and every day.

At the end of the day, I look to see what is pending, what is as per my expectation or as per the speed, and what is not going.

I can put in my comments or give a direction, or tag any other person if they need any help if they are stuck.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be much better, although it's good enough to do the job.

I don't see the mobile application for this particular application. I use it on PC. I tried to download the application, but there are some constraints to using it. It doesn't link properly, it doesn't detect my Jira board, even when I have entered the name. I don't know how to use that app. I download and tried, but there is confusion. There is no clarity on how I can map my desktop account with the mobile application. There is definitely room there to improve.

There should be a way to integrate the mobile application or in some way, make it more clear because at first instance, I didn't understand how to use it.

We have used Jira over the last seven months.

It's a stable solution.

We have a team of eight members who are using Jira. They are divided into teams with each team using different boards.

For example, one team is managers who are using it, whereas another is a team of developers using a different board that can be created and used for their purposes.

I have not been in a situation where I have needed technical support. Everything has gone well.

The installation is typically done by my IT team. I don't have exposure to that.

Prior to Jira, we were evaluating Microsoft tools, but I don't recall the name. Possibly Microsoft Task.

We were evaluating Microsoft products for the same purpose.

The decision is a collective team decision. It may have been that Jira is easier to implement across the company.

What other advice do I have?

It is a well-crafted product. I don't have any concerns.

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

TB
Head of IT Enel X Digital Hub at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to deploy, good for managing documentation, and great for end-to-end project management

• "Being able to automatize the deployment of the solution has been great."
  • "What I don't like is that perhaps there are not so many different apps that can add value over the management side of the product."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for project management.

What is most valuable?

What I like about this product is how you can manage from the project to the deployment, even using Bamboo or using Bitbucket.

Being able to automatize the deployment of the solution has been great.

We're not only managing documentation on the project task, but we're also handling the technical assets that are under the project.

What needs improvement?

What I don't like is that perhaps there are not so many different apps that can add value over the management side of the product. They're not able to develop over Jira, even for normal technical activity signing. For managing the project better or for task documentation or even managing tickets or service needs in another way, there needs to be better customization or better apps.

I'm really obsessed with the idea of reducing the number of activities to have a general retail workplace. However, if we need to expand the use of the Atlassian suite to all the teams, all the people, we need something that can be, easier to use and has the ability to offer more guidance to those users that usually don't work with these type of tools. For example, ServiceNow doesn't fit all the needs in the company, however, it can be configured. You can develop so many different functions over it. I don't want to increase the payments and the number of licenses that I have to buy from ServiceNow. I would prefer to have my own developed team and try to define everything on our side - including the functionalities that I would like to build for those proposed functionalities.

I've used the solution in a structured way for about 18 months now.

We have looked at and worked with several content-managed solutions in the last year. We're trying to build our retail workplace using ServiceNow, and, at the same time, increasing the use of the Atlassian suite. ServiceNow, we use for post activities such as service ticketing, service managing, and so on.

The introduction of agile has moved us onto the Atlassian suite, which has been really very, very useful. At the same time, we have a partial solution that has been built over Salesforce, using the Salesforce development environment.

Fortunately, we have so many different solutions for file management. We have FileNet, we have OneDrive. We have SAP. In terms of file management, we have so many different solutions, even Dropbox.

We are using the Jira service center and we are using Trello and Confluence as well.

The deployment is pretty straightforward. It's not overly difficult. We are able to automatize a lot of it.

What other advice do I have?

We're an Atlassian partner.

In terms of project management, Trello is not enough of a solution to manage complex projects and maybe some new functions can be developed. I'm not saying that Jira has to develop that, or that Atlassian has to develop that. Perhaps there is something that we can do to create a referring community to develop those new use cases and more simple use cases, and, at the same time, use them for more general purposes in the company. Atlassian fits in the technical side, in the IT side really well. It just needs to move to become friendly in a retail workspace environment, outside of its traditionally technical background.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

Adil Fouari
Manager / Oracle Applications Consultant at ASAM Conseil Inc
Integrates with other products easily

• "I've never had a bug or a bug message that I needed to open a ticket for."
  • "It should be connected to ServiceNow."

What is our primary use case?

I use the Jira app, not the desktop version.

I work at a university and we use Jira to create tickets, epics, and stories. We link Jira to spec documentation with Confluence. We can also link it to TestRail.

Within the university that I work for, there are roughly 4,000 people using this solution — all staff members use it.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's integrated with the specs. You don't have to put the specs in a shared folder or a shared server. It's all linked together with Confluence. We just put the specs into Confluence and then link it to the ticket in Jira. Once our developer has finished his development, we can link it to TestRail to create test scenarios, test them, and analyze the results of the test.

What needs improvement?

It should be connected to ServiceNow. We use ServiceNow for deployments from our test environment to QA, then to production. If it was linked to ServiceNow, it would be perfect — it would be more integrated. Still, at least we can link our test scenarios, specs, and the tickets themselves so we can track the requirements — that's good. We have to use ServiceNow separately to deploy and move corrections from one environment to another.

There are a lot of features that need to be added on top of Jira for management, sprint planning, and agile topology for project management. My project manager says that there are not a lot of features for project management in the agile mode. They have to buy other products to put on top of Jira to be able to properly manage and to track what people are doing.

I have been using Jira for two years.

I was always able to connect. Once you're inside, it's good. We have never experienced any bugs, glitches, or crashes.

I think it's scalable. It can be integrated with other products easily. It's not a standalone product. Integration is the most important thing when it comes to scalability. I believe it uses a certain technology to make it even more scalable.

I've never had to contact support. I've never had a bug or a bug message that I needed to open a ticket for.

We used to use Remedy, but it didn't have everything that Jira has. Jira supports agile methodology. I used Remedy with waterfall projects, but for agile, Jira is the way to go. I've heard people say that Jira is better than DevOps tools.

I don't think it's complex to set up. The features are standard and come included with the product. You only need to know how to use it, create new Jiras, and how to link them. I don't think the setup is complicated. I've installed Oracle E-Business Suite a lot — that's complicated. Jira is much more direct.

What other advice do I have?

If you're interested in using Jira, you have to just go ahead and buy it and use it. Try to use all the functions that are available. There's a lot of things to do in Jira. I recommend it.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Jira a rating of seven.

Private Cloud
DB
Senior Scrum Master at MobilFlex
Very configurable with lots of plugins but not really intuitive

• "The solution offers a lot of plugins."
  • "I would prefer it if the solution was more intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily for project management. We organize our work by projects with epics, et cetera. Below that, I believe we are using a Zephyr plugin for QA. We don't use it for product planning.

How has it helped my organization?

I would say it's a necessary evil to use a product such as Jira. All of these solutions are a necessary evil. They all have their pros and cons.

What is most valuable?

For what the solution does, it's fine.

The solution offers a lot of plugins.

The solution is very configurable.

What needs improvement?

There's a bit of a learning curve, which I'm not a huge fan of. It's not exactly user-friendly per se.

I would prefer it if the solution was more intuitive.

There are just so many options, that it's pretty overwhelming as a product. There's too much to focus on.

We do find that we need plugins and have created integrations with more robust analytic solutions than Jira provides.

Personally, I'd like it if there was more flexibility in how you could manage the backlog at a project level.

I've been using Jira for about six months. It hasn't even been a year yet. The solution is still very new to me and I am still learning.

The solution is very, very stable. There's no problem in that sense. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

You can easily scale this solution. If you need to grow it out to meet your company's needs, you can do so. That's not a problem.

We have about 300 users on the solution right now. They include developers, administrators, senior leadership, analysts, designers, and project managers.

I haven't used technical support at all. I can't speak to their reliability or level of knowledge.

Although I wasn't hired at the outset of the company, it's my understanding that they've always used Jira as a solution.

I wasn't involved in the initial implementation of the solution. I just started working with the company six months ago. Honestly, I'm still learning the solution.

I don't have an opinion on the pricing or licensing. It's not really a main concern of mine. I don't have access to any information about what the company pays.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. My company doesn't have a professional relationship with Jira.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. I'm not sure of the last time we updated the solution. I've only been at the company for six months.

I'd advise other companies to dedicate two full-time people to learn the solution and train other team members. It's a big learning curve for users. It takes time to get into it. Having dedicated trainers would help onboard people.

Overall, I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. If it was more intuitive, and there was less of a learning curve for new users, I'd rate it much higher.

Private Cloud
Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.