Ahmed  Abdelwahab
Corporate Performance Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Flexible and scalable with good add-ons available

• "The workflows are very easy to handle as far as scalability goes."
  • "The user interface is very detailed right now. It could be simplified if they consider targeting the user experience."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira product in the organization to automate the software development life cycle.

What is most valuable?

It's a very flexible product.

We can change the workflows as much as we need and we've done that already.

The workflows are very easy to handle as far as scalability goes.

If there is a feature or a workflow feature, that is required and it's not available out of the box from Jira, from Atlassian, we have the marketplace buy from. There are a number of add-ons that we use. We have maybe 20 to 25 that fill in any gaps in the system itself.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is very detailed right now. It could be simplified if they consider targeting the user experience. Right now, on the screen pre-design, the amount of information on the screen is very high. The distribution is good, however, the presentation itself looks very technical. They should work to streamline the UI to make it better for users to digest the information.

I've been dealing with the solution for two years now.

The solution is very stable. We haven't had issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze on us. It's quite good.

The solution is scalable in terms of the number of users and the number of features. The features we are using are mostly out of the box, however, we have added product management features and code delivered with the integration features. We also have added test management tools or add-ons to it including reporting and dashboarding as well. You can really grow it out and add as many plug-in apps and features as you want.

Currently, we have 500 users that interact with Jira within our organization.

We have good internal technical support for Jira in the organization and we use the Atlassian technical support only when needed. Thus far, we are quite satisfied with the level of support we receive.

I cannot give too much information about the installation, as we're similar to a consultant, and I don't want to get into too many details. As the installation engine, we took two days straight to deploy it and that is with the implementation.

For deployment, you don't need a huge team. We did it with two technical personnel. They are consultant level system administrators.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Jira.

We're using the latest version minus one, due to the fact that it was installed year. That upgrade was last year and it is my understanding that there is another version coming up.

I'd recommend this solution to other companies.

The product is very scalable and it's very flexible to match any organization, however, the trick to using Jira effectively is that there should be a business process documented in place before using it straight. The mistake that many people do is they consider the tool as the base and they configure their processes according to this. If they work the other way around and have a great process between all cycles, and then implement that process on Jira, it's very beneficial.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

István Szirtes
Product Owner at Ericsson
Helps us with product development, planning, and some hardware product development but the performance isn't so good

• "There are a lot of different plugins for Jira. Unfortunately, we did not test so many and the big pain point for us is the rigorous handling and the roadmap of Jira. We have a portfolio and structure plugin and we have our story map plugin in Jira"
  • "The performance is not so good sometimes. I know that fully depends on the implementation and the IT environment of Jira or the version of Jira installed. The performance is sometimes not so good. I would like to have a better response time from the Jira server. And it fully depends on the administration side of the Jira."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for software for product development, planning, some hardware product development, and for some solutions and services. Other teams in our company use Jira for scheduling daily work and daily tasks and try to organize or manage products and projects.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of different plugins for Jira. Unfortunately, we did not test so many and the big pain point for us is the rigorous handling and the roadmap of Jira. We have a portfolio and structure plugin and we have our story map plugin in Jira. I am a scrum master and coach in my company. My colleagues aren't so educated on these plugins. So first we have to improve all knowledge with these plugins in Jira, to improve or efficiency in the roadmap and for these topics.

What needs improvement?

The performance is not so good sometimes. I know that fully depends on the implementation and the IT environment of Jira or the version of Jira installed. The performance is sometimes not so good. I would like to have a better response time from the Jira server. And it fully depends on the administration side of the Jira.

I have been using Jira for more than 10 years.

It's a very stable system.

My company has different locations in the world. We have maybe 1000 or 1500 people using this solution.

It is easy to scale and expand.

I am not a Jira administrator. So my feeling as a user of the Jira is that Jira is a very efficient, very good tool and a very stable tool from my perspective.

We haven't contacted tech support because the specialized team does it every time.

Everything is delegated to the team inside the company

We also used Mantis. I can't compare the two because Mantis was very different and that tool is very old. The function was very different in Jira. So when we switched from Mantis to Jira, it was a very big step.

We have a specialized team that did the installation and does upgrades.

What other advice do I have?

I prefer some different practices, like story mapping and inbox mapping or strategy planning. The story mapping is included in all Jira installation. It would be good to see some features for strategy and portfolio handling planning in Jira. I have used Aha! and this tool has a very good framework with a good toolset. The toolset for strategy planning, toolset for portfolio handling, toolset for product handling, and toolset for daily work handling is very good. I think the Aha! team did very good work. I know that this company is an American company and is a competitor for Jira and for some other tools. Unfortunately, I never heard about this tool before and don't know any other company using this tool, but the tool is very impressive. There are a lot of good features. It would be good to see something like that in Jira.

I would rate Jira a seven out of ten. I would give it a higher number if the features that I mentioned for the strategy planning would be included in the framework.

Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BM
Solutions Architect with 11-50 employees
A very capable product with many useful features, impressive scalability, and good stability

• "Jira is a pretty capable product, and a lot of features are valuable. We value being able to set up separate projects and configure teams in them, set up sprints, and manage our sprints with its history tracking. These are all very useful features. It has been a very popular product for our work."
  • "Because I am a developer, I would like integration with Git Source Code Management so that for tickets, we can reference the code where the change has happened and where the issue is. This feature might be there, and I probably haven't discovered it."

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using it for project management and issue tracking. It is used by development, QA, and IT operations. It really goes through the whole gamut of project management.

We are not using its latest version. We are usually a little bit behind on versions.

What is most valuable?

Jira is a pretty capable product, and a lot of features are valuable. We value being able to set up separate projects and configure teams in them, set up sprints, and manage our sprints with its history tracking. These are all very useful features. It has been a very popular product for our work.

What needs improvement?

Because I am a developer, I would like integration with Git Source Code Management so that for tickets, we can reference the code where the change has happened and where the issue is. This feature might be there, and I probably haven't discovered it.

I have been using this solution for probably six years.

Its stability has been very good. Every once in a while, we have a problem, and the service stops working. I don't think we have a very robust installation of it, but if there is an issue, it is back online very quickly.

Most of the issues are probably related to the server needing patching or something else. It may not be running on the appropriate size hardware. I know it is not a well-funded product at our office.

It is impressive. We have all our projects on it, and we haven't really had reports of any issues. We haven't yet stretched it to its limitations, but it has managed to meet our requirements, even in this minimal deployment. I am pretty impressed.

I didn't directly contact them, but I am sure at some point we have. We usually have a contact person, and we pay for the full support.

We are adopting multiple products, such as ServiceNow, but they do different things and are for different purposes. There is a talk about replacing Jira with ServiceNow, and we're not too happy with it because we all liked Jira, but sometimes this kind of stuff happens. ServiceNow does have crossover features, but it gets into problems for us when changing from one system to another.

I didn't set it up, but I haven't heard of any issues with the implementation of it. It seems to be very straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. Overall, it is a good product. It supports scrum and agile developments. It has a lot of benefits that can be applied very quickly in organizations.

I would advise others to do a test installation and make sure that it fits their needs. Experiment with the multitudes of features that it has. I know there are lots of modules. There are probably many features that we are not using.

I would give it very high marks. I would rate Jira a nine out of ten. There is always something you could improve on it.

KUNALVAGHELA
SENIOR SOFTWARE DEVELOPER at Matrix Comsec Pvt. Ltd.
Good charts and reporting, customizable dashboards, and helpful filters

• "Our company follows the Agile methodology for software development, and this product is one of the best tools for companies that do so."
  • "There are a limited number of gadgets accessible in Jira; thus, additional ones should be supported."

What is our primary use case?

We regularly check the tasks assigned to us, day by day, and create a work log in that task according to what has been done.

You can check today's task assigned to you by using a custom filter, which you can create on your own. We can also make a customized dashboard user-wise.

Upper-level management can analyze the chart and get an overview of the project, giving them the ability to estimate the budget and release date of the project.

How has it helped my organization?

After purchasing Jira, we started shifting to it from the older software we used, like Bugzilla. Bugzilla was being used as our bug reporting tool but after the introduction of Jira, we began to use several of its features. We now use Jira for Scrum Planning, Bug Reporting, Time Tracking, and Budget Tracking.

Day by day, the transparency of the project improves and estimating the project release date becomes easier to do. It is also easy for management-level users to check the project's budget and estimate the release date for a specific feature.

Because there are a number of charts available, looking at them will assist you with any decision that is related to your project.

What is most valuable?

As a user of the Jira, rather than an administrator, the custom dashboard and custom filter are some of the best features from my perspective.

I can manage my own dashboard and by logging into my account every day, I can get information about the day's tasks assigned to me. I can also see my timeline chart, and using that, I can see and understand what has been done in the last week/month.

I have added a gadget on my dashboard that gives me regular updates on the bugs reported by the QA team.

What needs improvement?

Jira is one of the best software applications for project management and budget tracking, but it does have some issues, as follows:

• Firstly, the filtering feature can be improved to some degree.
  • Because JIRA has so many features, it may take some time to obtain a general knowledge of each one.
  • In order to enhance adoption in small and medium businesses, the cost should be improved.
  • I believe it will be difficult for new users to understand.
  • There are a limited number of gadgets accessible in Jira; thus, additional ones should be supported.

In our organization, we have been Jira since 2017.

Previously, we were using the Bugzilla bug tracking software for reporting bugs from the QA and FITs. Due to the number of problems that we had with it, we purchased Jira and have been using it for approximately five years.

The initial setup was easy, and we haven't found any difficulty in that.

The pricing is much higher than other similar solutions available in the market, and as such, the vendor should think about a price reduction to make this product more affordable.

We did not evaluate other options before implementing Jira.

Hybrid Cloud
JS
ITBridging the gap between business and IT at a engineering company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Scalable, stable, and straightforward installation

• "When combining Jira with Bitbucket, you have the possibility to ensure continuous integration and other functions which is highly appreciated by our software development team."

What is our primary use case?

We use JIRA for the management of tasks in IT. We are in the process of implementing our JIRA service desk and using other software for development, such as Bitbucket.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Jira for approximately three years.

Jira has been stable in my experience.

The solution is scalable. The new licensing model that was presented to me for the data center oriented solution, the price tag that comes with it is the equivalent of 500 users. I only have 50 to 60 users, which means that I have to multiply my budget by 10. This is the scalability that they should be able to provide and I do not like that too much. I can accept that there is a markup for the data center but not the way they have currently presented it.

We will have approximately 60 people using the solution and when it comes to the software development team there are approximately 100 users. It is used in two separate environments.

I have not contacted technical support personally.

Before we used Jira, our operations were very Microsoft office-based.

I am not a regular day-to-day user of this solution and based on the feedback that I received from people at the time it was installed, it went well.

We have one person from an external party who helped us with the implementation. For the internal technical deployment, we have approximately five people from different teams in infrastructure, help desk, and application.

The price at the moment for Jira is okay. I'm absolutely not amused with the plans to try to drive us to the cloud or to other licensing models. For the very simple reason that we are a company in the defense sector where cloud is problematic in a number of the domains. We are now approximately 60 users and the new policy will actually confront us with an upscale to approximately 500 users. I find it unacceptable, and may potentially lead us to look for another solution.

They need to think about industries, which are for compliance reasons are not capable of moving to the cloud, and that they don't put a knife on our throats with excessive prices.

What other advice do I have?

For my defense software development activities, I would like to stay out of the cloud. For the general industry activities and the IT support, we could potentially go into the cloud. There is no objection to that. But for defense, the cloud is not an option for me.

If you want to move ahead to the cloud, I would definitely recommend Jira. For what we use it for since we are stuck on-premise, I would advise others to look into other solutions.

I am not an active user of Jira but based on the feedback I have received I rate Jira an eight out of ten.

RM
    Release Engineer at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    Helpful features, good flexibility, and scalable

• "The layout, workflow, automation, and metrics are helpful in Jira."
    • "The biggest complaint industry-wide about JIRA is they need to purchase additional extensions, such as reporting automation. If they could provide some additional extensions from the initial purchase it would be a huge benefit."

What is our primary use case?

I am working on a project which involves moving Jira onto the Azure boards. We use Azure DevOps for our repository and pipelines and we are looking to move on to Azure boards from JIRA for our ticketing or change request management.

How has it helped my organization?

Jira has helped our company because the board layouts are easier to use and has helped us see what is happening in regards to stories and bugs.

What is most valuable?

The layout, workflow, automation, and metrics are helpful in Jira.

The flexibility of defining your columns that can possibly contain multiple statuses is important. When you have teams that are different levels of granularity, the C levels, only care that it is in progress, but the leads want to know that it is in QA or development. You can accomplish these types of things with JIRA.

What needs improvement?

The biggest complaint industry-wide about JIRA is they need to purchase additional extensions, such as reporting automation. If they could provide some additional extensions from the initial purchase it would be a huge benefit.

When using the service desk and the developer, the transition could be better between the two. For example, we asked the support desk to send a ticket over to the development and it was a little bit cumbersome. We had to recreate another ticket for development, then we had two tickets, one service desk, and one development. It would be beneficial if the process was more smooth between those two packages.

I have been using Jira for approximately eight years.

The stability of the cloud version of JIRA is very good. However, we did have some issues with the on-premise version but the issue could have been because our servers were overloaded.

The scalability has been very good.

We have approximately 40 people using this solution in my organization, which is mostly everyone. It is used by many departments, such as project offices, development, and coding QA. The only department that is not involved in the use of the solution is the company support. I had worked at a company previously that used the JIRA service desk for their support and it worked well.

I have previously used DevOps and Rally.

JIRA installation is complicated. It is similar to a lot of other systems, the more flexible they tend to be more complicated they become.

We do the maintenance of the solution which is adding users and moving them around. The solution is very hands-off, it does not require a lot of maintenance.

We currently are evaluating other options and are doing a study to see if we are going to continue using JIRA or move to something else.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those wanting to implement this solution to contact an expert.

This solution is a top-of-the-line CRM, I have used the others solutions, and it has the most flexibility and the best visibility.

I rate Jira a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
    GG
    Sr Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Scalable and easy to set up with good prioritization capabilities

• "The initial setup isn't too complicated."
    • "It is not intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for use cases and make sure that our tasks and priorities are getting done.

What is most valuable?

I like that we can actually categorize the stuff from high priority to a lower priority. You can make categories and you can focus on the right items that need to be worked on.

The initial setup isn't too complicated.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is good.

What needs improvement?

It is not intuitive. It was hard for me to understand how to use it right away. It would be ideal if they could make the solution more user-friendly so that it is easier to pick up.

I haven't been using the solution for that long just yet. it's been about six months or so.

There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. it's reliable and the performance is good.

The solution can scale well. it's pretty straightforward if you need to do so.

We have product owners, project managers, and scrum masters on the solution. I would say that we have a thousand people using it, however, I'm not saying that for sure, as the bank has 46,000 employees and I'm just a part of a small team. I'm estimating that I would expect over a thousand people to use it.

I have never used technical support. I've been able to manage everything and figure stuff out with the stuff I have here. Everything is available to me.

I did use a different solution, however, I switched when I switched roles at the company.

For the most part, the solution was set up for us. My understanding is that it was pretty simple I assisted a bit, and I found that the navigation piece was not enjoyable to implement.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using currently.

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd advise users considering the solution to make sure that they have a little time to review it and understand the tool and make sure they actually find that it is a good solution to meet their needs and that it's what they're looking for. From Agile delivery teams that are here to deliver their MVPs and stuff like that, I think it's great to keep track of all their backlogs and stuff like that. It is also great for someone from a use case perspective as they break it down well.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Of course, I'm still learning it. That said, it's great for keeping track of all the items and the stuff that needs to be done and for the use cases that have been closed, to make sure that we get the proper sign-off and understand the line of business.

SujoyGuha
    IT Release Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    User-friendly and provides very good visibility and traceability, but should have role-based access and more reports

• "It provides very good visibility and traceability. You can clearly see each and every part of a process. It is also user-friendly and robust. It is working well, and there are a lot of add-ons or plug-ins out there that you can use."
    • "It would be good if we can grant access based on the roles. This is something that Jira can look into. Currently, anyone with Jira access can access everything. Being able to define access based on the roles will give us more flexibility in managing Jira. I would like to have more reports in Jira. Currently, eight or nine reports are there. You can use Screen Test to get more reports or data from Jira, but you will have to get more add-ons, plug-ins, and stuff like that. It would be good if they can increase the number of reports."

What is our primary use case?

It is used by the agile teams for product development and feature management.

What is most valuable?

It provides very good visibility and traceability. You can clearly see each and every part of a process. It is also user-friendly and robust.

It is working well, and there are a lot of add-ons or plug-ins out there that you can use.

What needs improvement?

It would be good if we can grant access based on the roles. This is something that Jira can look into. Currently, anyone with Jira access can access everything. Being able to define access based on the roles will give us more flexibility in managing Jira.

I would like to have more reports in Jira. Currently,  eight or nine reports are there. You can use Screen Test to get more reports or data from Jira, but you will have to get more add-ons, plug-ins, and stuff like that. It would be good if they can increase the number of reports.

I have been using this solution for five years.

It is stable. I don't see any instability in Jira.

It is easily scalable. We have around 1,500 users.

I have not directly interacted with Jira's technical support. We have an internal Jira service desk for any issues.

I have used HP ALM, version 11, and it was not so robust. I found Jira to be more robust. In HP ALM, you can define the requirements and test cases and map them, but you cannot see the in-depth requirements, whereas Jira provides more visibility, and you can see each and every part of a process very clearly. It is more open and user-friendly.

Traceability is very important for the SDLC process, testing lifecycle, and audits, which is one of the key features that Jira provides. It provides detailed traceability so that you can easily know about the sprints and change requests. With HP ALM, you can define requirements only in one or two lines. It is more of a testing tool. It is not a development lifecycle tool.

The initial setup for Jira was done by a third-party vendor, so we did not face any issues. The migration from an older application to Jira was not so easy, and it required a lot of effort.

It was implemented by a third-party vendor. It requires maintenance, but it is not so difficult to maintain. For maintenance and administration, we have an internal Jira service desk.

You need to do upgrades because you tend to have requirements from different stakeholders. You also have different add-ons and plugins, and Jira also keeps on releasing new versions that might be useful.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Jira a seven out of ten because there are some areas to be improved in Jira.

Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.