VM
Senior Front End Engineer
Good interface and overall user experience

• "The JIRA user interface looks great. It's an overall good experience. It's very intuitive in the sense that you understand how it's going to work. It's very self-explanatory, and it's beneficial overall."
  • "So at one point in time, they did a huge UI upgrade. At that time, I felt like they had changed something, so it was hard to figure out. Now that we are habituated, it's not an issue now."

What is our primary use case?

It is helpful for bug tracking in software development. If developers are doing some work and testers notice some defects, they can flag it in JIRA. For example, I track my day-to-day work in JIRA so that others know what I'm working on. They can look at JIRA and don't need to contact me. From JIRA, they can find out that I am working on this project and spent two days on it, etc. It's used for so many things, like task management, bug tracking, and release management.

JIRA is not for deployment. For deployment, you are going to use some tools like Jenkins. It's meant for all the features that are going into that deployment.

Different teams within the company use JIRA. For example, everybody in the engineering section uses it, so altogether, that's around 200 people.

How has it helped my organization?

JIRA gives us a lot of visibility. For example, if you're planning to release a given feature, you can track the status of that feature. Is it working correctly, or does it have some bugs? So you have a high level of visibility on the work.

What is most valuable?

The JIRA user interface looks great. It's an overall good experience. It's very intuitive in the sense that you understand how it's going to work. It's very self-explanatory, and it's beneficial overall. Each release has different steps and phases, and the whole thing can mostly be captured on JIRA. The workflows are really helpful.

What needs improvement?

So at one point in time, they did a huge UI upgrade. At that time, I felt like they had changed something, so it was hard to figure out. Now that we are habituated, it's not an issue now. We had gotten used to the old interface, so things changed, we felt an initial discomfort. That's the only thing. Otherwise, there is nothing I dislike about JIRA.

I've used JIRA since the beginning of my career and nothing else.

I haven't had any issues with JIRA's stability so far.

The scalability of JIRA has always been good. The response time is always fast. I've never had any issues with scalability. I think no matter how much our usage increases, we'll continue to use JIRA.  But, I think our usage is at an optimal level.

From our end, setup is basically book-keeping. I can't say much about the overall setup because there is an administrator for JIRA who adds users and sets everything up. I haven't been an administrator. I'm just consuming the JIRA.

Initially, I think administrators are going to set some things like configuring the workflow should and then how you want to say things. But other than that, if you set it up once, it's going to work. You don't have to do much maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I rate JIRA nine out of 10. I would recommend it.

NB
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Trustworthy, convenient, and flexible

• "It is a very convenient tool. We can organize our sprints through scrum or kanban. There are scrum boards, and there are kanban boards. If you prefer scrum, you can use Jira. If you prefer kanban, you can still use Jira. You can create your kanban boards in a similar way as you create your scrum boards. It is very useful. It also seems to be very popular these days."
  • "Its search and reporting can be improved. They are already nice, but they can be further improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to organize most of our software development processes.

Being a cloud solution, we usually have the latest version, but sometimes, we get a pop-up saying that there are some changes in a menu or some new features are there.

How has it helped my organization?

It covers most of the development process, and almost everyone uses it. We are using it for every role involved in the project, such as business owners, product owners, testers, developers, and DevOps. For example, the product owner defines a new feature, and then we take the feature and create stories and development, testing, or DevOps tasks. We then implement the new feature or changes to an existing feature. All the test cases and other things are in Jira. So, everything is done in Jira.

What is most valuable?

It is a very convenient tool. We can organize our sprints through scrum or kanban. There are scrum boards, and there are kanban boards. If you prefer scrum, you can use Jira. If you prefer kanban, you can still use Jira. You can create your kanban boards in a similar way as you create your scrum boards. It is very useful. It also seems to be very popular these days.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for more than 10 years.

Its availability is great.

We have different offices, and overall, there might be about 2,000 people. There are no issues with its performance or service. Almost all roles in our company are using this solution.

Other people have experience with Jira's technical support, and they are quite happy with their support. Personally, I never had a case where I needed any kind of support.

It is a cloud solution. It just requires licensing. Of course, some support would be required for all users of Jira, which could be in thousands. It might not be an easy task, but overall, I don't think a lot of time is spent on its maintenance and support. It is a very trustworthy service.

It is certainly a long-term solution for our company and for previous companies that I have worked for. They have these long-term term licenses, but I'm not sure if they really pay on a yearly basis. They are certainly using it for a really long period and for a lot of users.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. It is very popular, and a lot of my colleagues have used it before. It doesn't require a lot of learning time. It is very good to use. I'm quite happy with the service. Of course, it can improve, but personally, I'm very happy with it.

I would definitely give it a good rating. I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RP
Director at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Tailoring of workflows is extremely useful as is the collaborative nature of the solution

• "The customization and tailoring of the workflows have proven to be very useful."
  • "Tracking is important but the built-in features don't meet our needs."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira to manage all our software development projects and our engineering projects. Our main use of the solution is for the workflows on our different types of projects. It's mainly used by our engineering groups, they have the proper workflows and all of the stats. As a director, I work more at the business level, tracking tasks similar to the new planner that's in Microsoft which some people are switching to. We also use it in the backend of the projects. For project managers and directors, it's more about a to-do list thing that's shared. I'm a company director and we are customers of Jira.

How has it helped my organization?

The online collaborative nature of the solution has been helpful. Previously, coordination was done in Microsoft Project and Excel spreadsheets. The level of collaboration and the accessibility of the information which Jira offers has greatly improved things and we've also been able to build out and fine tune the workflows and the integration into the different tool sets. We're definitely going to keep using Jira.

What is most valuable?

I think the customization and tailoring of the workflows have proven to be very useful. And then there's the collaboration of the tool itself which has a lot of nice features.

What needs improvement?

One of the issues is tracking the hours that people spend on each task. I know the solution has some built-in features but it doesn't quite meet our needs. We tried a couple of expansions unsuccessfully. Being able to track the effort on each of the tasks is important for us and we'd also like to be able to compare that with what's been budgeted. It would be useful. We've recently moved to Teams and some of the integration with Teams doesn't seem to work, whether it's not supported or not there, the ability to integrate that would be something we'd like to see.

We've been using this solution for over five years.

We haven't had any issues with stability.

We're a fairly small organization. We've scaled up to around 500 users and we haven't had any issues with that. It's mainly used by our engineering group, and our active users use it all the time, on a daily basis. We'll increase as we organically grow.

I can't recall the initial setup but it took us a while to figure out exactly how to use it. We deployed using our own staff.

I don't know what the licensing costs are but we find them affordable. It's never been a major issue.

What other advice do I have?

This is a powerful tool and allows a lot of collaboration, it's worth spending some time figuring out how your workflows will be, that's where the real value is.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

PW
Software Engineering & Quality Manager at a leisure / travel company with 201-500 employees
Poorly designed and confusing with a dated user interface

• "The initial setup was pretty straightforward."
  • "The work items structure is not hierarchical and that needs to be changed. It's too flat."

What is most valuable?

The integrations with other solutions, such as BitBucket for pull requests and the check traceability, are pretty good. That's about it. I'm not a big fan of the solution overall.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The solution, in general, is a poorly designed and confusing product. The user experience is not ideal and the user interface is convoluted. The interface in particular could use a big refresh as the actual navigation within the interface is not particularly smooth.

There's excessive scope for customizing the project and the platform. Therefore, there are too many integrations, which leads to very high levels of complexity in terms of management.

Key indicators that are useful to Agile teams such as burn-down charts or burn-up charts, cumulative flow control, et cetera, are available, however, they're not easily accessible from the default user view, whereas they should always be present. Key indicators must always be present. They actually take a couple of clicks to actually get to them.

I've been using the solution for two years. It hasn't been too long.

The solution is very stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable in that sense.

The solution is scalable. If a company wants to expand it, it can do so.

We have about 200 people who use the solution currently. They're mostly software developers but they're end-users as well.

While the solution is being used extensively, we're fine with maintaining our current level of usage.

Technical support is very good. We're satisfied with the level of support that is provided to us. They are knowledgeable and responsive.

I've personally used lots of other solutions, however, when I moved to this company, they already had Jira deployed. Jira is the only system of its type that's been used here.

The initial setup is not very complex. It was pretty straightforward. If a company wants to implement it, the setup should be pretty simple.

There's ongoing integration work on a project like this. Therefore, the initial setup was only a few days, however, then, as you add things to it, you add more time to the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user of the product.

I would highly recommend not using this product if your focus is software development. Organizations should seriously consider alternatives such as Azure DevOps or TFS, which are more focused on modern interfaces and more accurately modeled to modern workflows.

I'd rate the solution at about a three out of ten. It doesn't really offer a whole lot that's actually usable from a software development context beyond extremely simple and free alternatives.

GC
Technical Director
Fast and easily scalable with lots of functionality

• "Jira is very useful for project management for internal projects."
  • "We'd like to see more collaboration tools implemented within the product itself."

What is our primary use case?

Our company is a consulting company and then we are an Atlassian partner as well. Therefore we use many functions of Jira. It's sometimes project management and sometimes to communicate to outside customers.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very fast.

It's a very useful tool. Jira is very useful for project management for internal projects.

We can easily communicate with many things easily in Jira.

There's the ability to easily customize the product. There's lots of great potential functionality.

The solution is stable.

You can scale the product very well.

What needs improvement?

The product needs to allow for more communication between individuals and teams.

The solution could always use better reporting.

I've been using the solution for four or five years.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze.

This is the type of tool that would work well for any size of organization, from a smaller company to a very large enterprise.

The product is very easy to scale and extend the user license. In terms of functional expansion, for projects, it's very easy to expand. You can do so in no time. It's very quick.

For the most part, we are satisfied with technical support. Sometimes in some areas, if you find a bug on Atlassian, they respond quickly. However, sometimes, they are slower. It can really vary. For the most part, they really try to get to things quickly.

The initial setup is different and is case by case, however, for a single person or scrum team, it's not too hard. The process is simpler on smaller setups. The more processes the company needs, the more complicated the solution gets during implementation.

We have our own engineer team internally that handles maintenance. We have no problem with maintenance tasks. It's not too hard to handle.

We provide implementation services to our customers.

Jira pricing is very difficult to pin down. They stopped another licensing version earlier in the year, in February. Now they have only data center licenses and then cloud licenses. These are more expensive than a server license. With a server license, you pay once. When you get a cloud license, it's an ongoing annual cost. We would have preferred if the old licensing model was kept.

What other advice do I have?

We are Atlassian partners.

We are using the current version, the latest version right now.

We use both cloud or on-premises deployment models. It's a hybrid approach.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I'd recommend the product to other users.

Hybrid Cloud
TH
Senior Technical Project Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Very extensible with ability to integrate other tools and different interfaces into it

• "Offers a common language set so we can bring people into projects and get them up and running almost immediately."
  • "Lacks some common building block approaches to certain things."

What is our primary use case?

Similar to the whole solution stack, we use Jira for security and for operational data storage. We also use it for custom-made API structures, moving data from the cloud to legacy on-prem infrastructures so we can use it to develop failing interfaces. We're customers of Jira and we license the solution. Our company has a form of strategic alliance where we buy the product, pay the fees and use the solution. I'm a senior technical project manager.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit of Jira to our company is that the product is extensible. We can integrate other tools and different interfaces into it. You can look at what's being done, how it's being done and know how to improve it. That includes things like optimizing performance or scanning the structures we build for security vulnerabilities. Extensibility is the most effective way we can create products and services for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The value of this product is that it offers a common language set so we can bring people into projects and get them up and running almost immediately. We know the language. It's the training and education content that's key and there's enough out there, whether it's paid training or free training, that gets people up to speed pretty quickly. Following on from that is optimizing the training for a given initiative or project.

What needs improvement?

Although this is a somewhat old-school approach, we'd like to see some common building block approaches to certain things. We do a lot of coding and swapping things because there's a lot of common non-functional capabilities we have to share based on our own company policies. In that sense, it would be helpful to have some sort of modular building blocks that are in some of these up-and-coming extensible capabilities, like how you interface the next level of security scanning code or cloud to cloud capabilities, anything like that would be an improvement. These are expensive things to build and give out for free. At least knowing what's in the headlights for the products together with some good specific industry demos would help, whether related to the financial sector, healthcare sector, whatever. There isn't a lot of that; as things stand, they're generally offering demos with people talking about how you could have a secure way of developing a code for a HIPAA mixed standards or whatever. More documentation on how to precisely use the solution, particularly in a given industry sector, would be helpful.

We use a lot of third-party monitoring and although the extensibility is there, a monitoring tool suite as you get in production would be helpful.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, it's served us well. I don't really have a lot of issues with it so I rate the solution eight out of 10.

Private Cloud
RS
RPA Developer/Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A helpful tool for tracking and anticipating efforts and designing workflows

• "The ability to design your own workflows is a great feature."
  • "The reporting part is a little bit difficult for me. It is not so easy. There should be a simpler way to track the efforts of our team. For example, in an Excel sheet, there is a feature for filtering. It would be much better if we can use something like that. Currently, for a complex query, we need to use Jira Query Language. Using Jira Query Language every time is not efficient for me."

What is our primary use case?

I am currently using Jira for project management purposes, such as tracking the team and opening tickets. I am an admin in my project. When we start a new project, I open a new story in Jira for that project, and I open sub-tasks for that project. From there, I create backlogs. Our team is responsible for those backlogs. I have previously also used Jira for designing workflows for our enterprise.

How has it helped my organization?

It is helpful for tracking efforts for our projects. We have around 20 mandate projects, and Jira helps us to see how much effort goes into which feature and which team members have put effort into a project. It helps in anticipating the efforts for the next projects.

What is most valuable?

The ability to design your own workflows is a great feature.

What needs improvement?

The reporting part is a little bit difficult for me. It is not so easy. There should be a simpler way to track the efforts of our team. For example, in an Excel sheet, there is a feature for filtering. It would be much better if we can use something like that. Currently, for a complex query, we need to use Jira Query Language. Using Jira Query Language every time is not efficient for me.

Understanding the workflows can be a little bit difficult. For example, if you don't know the workflow well and you get an error, which is not a technical error, you won't be able to find the reason for that error.

I have been using Jira for the last 15 months.

There is no problem with its stability.

Its scalability is good. Too many people use Jira, and there is no problem with its scalability. It is a scalable product.

Our Jira team has five people, and our company has about 1,500 people who use Jira for tracking efforts. We are using it almost every week, and we don't plan to increase or decrease its usage.

We take support from the Jira team in our company. I didn't take support from Atlassian.

I have been with this company for about three years, and they were using Jira when I came here.

I didn't deploy Jira. We have a dedicated Jira team in our enterprise. There are five people on that team. This team supports two Jiras. They also support SoftTech Jira. It is used by about 20,000 people.

I don't remember the deployment time. The upgrade took 8 to 10 hours. We do maintenance frequently because when business processes change, many changes are required in the backend. Jira team takes care of the maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Jira an eight out of 10.

TalhaIqbal
Co-Practice Head, Digital Transformation - RPA Solution Architect at Royal Cyber Inc.
MSP
User friendly, stable, and scalable

• "It's a Scrum tool, so it's very easy to use."
  • "The Classic UI is a little bit messy. UX experience is also a little bit messy and is not according to the expectation of a tech user."

What is our primary use case?

We use Agile Practices, so we track all our projects in Jira. When the project starts, we start putting all the user stories there. If any user story has any down the line task or user career task, we attach those Jira stories to our Confluence pages as well. So we maintain Confluence pages as well as Jira together as a story. The requirement and the Jira story are linked together.

How has it helped my organization?

Managing and keeping track of projects is a little bit difficult in the IT world. Jira provides the exact picture of where a project stands. It also provides automation or DevOps technologies. This brings our company together, and whenever we have to see a project's exact state, we can use Jira.

What is most valuable?

It's a Scrum tool, so it's very easy to use. That's what I like about it.

You can very quickly create a new project, add stories, and then make them into a sprint. It's very user-friendly.

Jira covers everything for project management and life cycle related items. It's a fine tool to work with.

I have not seen any issues with stability or scalability.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, it gets a little bit difficult to find the exact issues for people, but the search works fine in general.

The Classic UI is a little bit messy. UX experience is also a little bit messy and is not according to the expectation of a tech user.

If I click on an issue, that issue opens on the side. It shouldn't be like that; either it should open as a pop-up so that I can see where it is opening or it should open somewhere else, maybe as a pop-up or a new page. The view on the side is a bit of a hurdle. The UX needs to be improved.

Good use of Kanban technology should be there. Right now, it is mixed with Scrum technology, but that's not very necessary.

I've worked with Jira for more than five years. Our company has been using JIRA for a long time.

It is stable; I've never seen it down.

The scalability is also good. We are a company of more than 800 people, and I haven't seen any scalability problems as of yet.

Most of the users are developers, and at least 700 users must be using Jira in our system.

I think the starter pack of three users, up to five users, is free. So you can try it out.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of project management and repository management for the code, I find Jira to be the best. So on a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at nine.

Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.