GC
Technical Director
Fast and easily scalable with lots of functionality

• "Jira is very useful for project management for internal projects."
  • "We'd like to see more collaboration tools implemented within the product itself."

What is our primary use case?

Our company is a consulting company and then we are an Atlassian partner as well. Therefore we use many functions of Jira. It's sometimes project management and sometimes to communicate to outside customers.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very fast.

It's a very useful tool. Jira is very useful for project management for internal projects.

We can easily communicate with many things easily in Jira.

There's the ability to easily customize the product. There's lots of great potential functionality.

The solution is stable.

You can scale the product very well.

What needs improvement?

The product needs to allow for more communication between individuals and teams.

The solution could always use better reporting.

I've been using the solution for four or five years.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze.

This is the type of tool that would work well for any size of organization, from a smaller company to a very large enterprise.

The product is very easy to scale and extend the user license. In terms of functional expansion, for projects, it's very easy to expand. You can do so in no time. It's very quick.

For the most part, we are satisfied with technical support. Sometimes in some areas, if you find a bug on Atlassian, they respond quickly. However, sometimes, they are slower. It can really vary. For the most part, they really try to get to things quickly.

The initial setup is different and is case by case, however, for a single person or scrum team, it's not too hard. The process is simpler on smaller setups. The more processes the company needs, the more complicated the solution gets during implementation.

We have our own engineer team internally that handles maintenance. We have no problem with maintenance tasks. It's not too hard to handle.

We provide implementation services to our customers.

Jira pricing is very difficult to pin down. They stopped another licensing version earlier in the year, in February. Now they have only data center licenses and then cloud licenses. These are more expensive than a server license. With a server license, you pay once. When you get a cloud license, it's an ongoing annual cost. We would have preferred if the old licensing model was kept.

What other advice do I have?

We are Atlassian partners.

We are using the current version, the latest version right now.

We use both cloud or on-premises deployment models. It's a hybrid approach.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I'd recommend the product to other users.

Hybrid Cloud
RS
RPA Developer/Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A helpful tool for tracking and anticipating efforts and designing workflows

• "The ability to design your own workflows is a great feature."
  • "The reporting part is a little bit difficult for me. It is not so easy. There should be a simpler way to track the efforts of our team. For example, in an Excel sheet, there is a feature for filtering. It would be much better if we can use something like that. Currently, for a complex query, we need to use Jira Query Language. Using Jira Query Language every time is not efficient for me."

What is our primary use case?

I am currently using Jira for project management purposes, such as tracking the team and opening tickets. I am an admin in my project. When we start a new project, I open a new story in Jira for that project, and I open sub-tasks for that project. From there, I create backlogs. Our team is responsible for those backlogs. I have previously also used Jira for designing workflows for our enterprise.

How has it helped my organization?

It is helpful for tracking efforts for our projects. We have around 20 mandate projects, and Jira helps us to see how much effort goes into which feature and which team members have put effort into a project. It helps in anticipating the efforts for the next projects.

What is most valuable?

The ability to design your own workflows is a great feature.

What needs improvement?

The reporting part is a little bit difficult for me. It is not so easy. There should be a simpler way to track the efforts of our team. For example, in an Excel sheet, there is a feature for filtering. It would be much better if we can use something like that. Currently, for a complex query, we need to use Jira Query Language. Using Jira Query Language every time is not efficient for me.

Understanding the workflows can be a little bit difficult. For example, if you don't know the workflow well and you get an error, which is not a technical error, you won't be able to find the reason for that error.

I have been using Jira for the last 15 months.

There is no problem with its stability.

Its scalability is good. Too many people use Jira, and there is no problem with its scalability. It is a scalable product.

Our Jira team has five people, and our company has about 1,500 people who use Jira for tracking efforts. We are using it almost every week, and we don't plan to increase or decrease its usage.

We take support from the Jira team in our company. I didn't take support from Atlassian.

I have been with this company for about three years, and they were using Jira when I came here.

I didn't deploy Jira. We have a dedicated Jira team in our enterprise. There are five people on that team. This team supports two Jiras. They also support SoftTech Jira. It is used by about 20,000 people.

I don't remember the deployment time. The upgrade took 8 to 10 hours. We do maintenance frequently because when business processes change, many changes are required in the backend. Jira team takes care of the maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Jira an eight out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TalhaIqbal
Co-Practice Head, Digital Transformation - RPA Solution Architect at Royal Cyber Inc.
MSP
User friendly, stable, and scalable

• "It's a Scrum tool, so it's very easy to use."
  • "The Classic UI is a little bit messy. UX experience is also a little bit messy and is not according to the expectation of a tech user."

What is our primary use case?

We use Agile Practices, so we track all our projects in Jira. When the project starts, we start putting all the user stories there. If any user story has any down the line task or user career task, we attach those Jira stories to our Confluence pages as well. So we maintain Confluence pages as well as Jira together as a story. The requirement and the Jira story are linked together.

How has it helped my organization?

Managing and keeping track of projects is a little bit difficult in the IT world. Jira provides the exact picture of where a project stands. It also provides automation or DevOps technologies. This brings our company together, and whenever we have to see a project's exact state, we can use Jira.

What is most valuable?

It's a Scrum tool, so it's very easy to use. That's what I like about it.

You can very quickly create a new project, add stories, and then make them into a sprint. It's very user-friendly.

Jira covers everything for project management and life cycle related items. It's a fine tool to work with.

I have not seen any issues with stability or scalability.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, it gets a little bit difficult to find the exact issues for people, but the search works fine in general.

The Classic UI is a little bit messy. UX experience is also a little bit messy and is not according to the expectation of a tech user.

If I click on an issue, that issue opens on the side. It shouldn't be like that; either it should open as a pop-up so that I can see where it is opening or it should open somewhere else, maybe as a pop-up or a new page. The view on the side is a bit of a hurdle. The UX needs to be improved.

Good use of Kanban technology should be there. Right now, it is mixed with Scrum technology, but that's not very necessary.

I've worked with Jira for more than five years. Our company has been using JIRA for a long time.

It is stable; I've never seen it down.

The scalability is also good. We are a company of more than 800 people, and I haven't seen any scalability problems as of yet.

Most of the users are developers, and at least 700 users must be using Jira in our system.

I think the starter pack of three users, up to five users, is free. So you can try it out.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of project management and repository management for the code, I find Jira to be the best. So on a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at nine.

Ilan Tokazier
Senior Quality Consultant at Knowit
Enables us to print tasks for planning so we can also see what's happening in the system and follow the tickets

• "The feature that I have found most valuable is that it is a quite powerful user tracking system."
  • "Jira is a little bit old fashioned, it could be more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant, and we have some customers with projects who use Jira.

We have customers with different Jira installations because there are so many vendors. It is mostly used as a bug tracking system with tickets, issues and tags.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is that it is a quite powerful user tracking system. Also, we use it to print tasks for planning so you can also see what's happening in the system and follow the tickets.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, there is not much I don't like. It is a little bit faster but with Firefox it can be slow, but that is also the case with many other tools as well. It has quite a lot of options and fields, so I'm not too familiar with them all. That makes it a bit trickier. It could be a little bit easier, it is not that simple or straightforward.

The tool itself is so powerful and the customer's expectation is very high because you have so many things you can do with it. That can make it a little non-user friendly.

I would want to see Jira include some improvements, like drag and drop and color, to make it more straightforward. If you compare it to Microsoft or Octane, they have good features that I would like to see in Jira as well.

Overall, Jira is a little bit old fashioned, it could be more user friendly.

They should make it simpler, to just be able to do some functions, whereas now it takes longer. There are too many clicks.

I have been using Jira for around 15 years or so, but not all the time.

The stability is fine. We have some issue now with our customers, it could be due to the network or other issues, I don't know if it is because of Jira itself. We have quite a complex environment and system for our customers. At the moment we have several tools and different systems. We have some issues with downtime but I am not sure why.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone thinking about Jira is that it would be wise to at least find out the most crucial functions that you need in the product, what features are most important, determine how the project will use Jira, and the most important thing is to have some kind of user training plan because the tool is so complex and flexible that you can use it in many, many different ways.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Jira a nine.

I would give it a nine because of course it needs some improvements. For example, the usability and its speed.

AnujKataria
Project Manager at Duck Creek Technologies
Good support, scalable, seamless integration with QA frameworks

• "JIRA's technical support is absolutely fantabulous. I had used it in the past when I was working at my previous organization. And when we wanted to link it with a framework, they helped us out with the API we were looking for."
  • "In JIRA, it's a bit complex in terms of what advanced search queries we use. Sharing them is also a problem. Because TFS is on the cloud, we can easily save that query and share it with our team members."

What is most valuable?

I'm from a QA background and we used to do automation. It was far easier to link JIRA with our QA automation frameworks because JIRA has a lot of public APIs that we could use. Also, the burndown charts and the ability to manage different frameworks of the adjoint model are helpful. We could use scrum in one project or Kanban. So it was easy to manage the transition from one framework to another. Those are the things I found useful, but I haven't seen the case of TFS yet.

What needs improvement?

JIRA could simplify the query mechanism. Running a query for tasks, stories, and so on is far easier in TFS. The algorithm is easier. In JIRA, it's a bit complex in terms of what advanced search queries we use. Sharing them is also a problem. Because TFS is on the cloud, we can easily save that query and share it with our team members. So that is one area where JIRA has some room for improvement.

JIRA is pretty much stable.

JIRA is far more scalable in terms of using different frameworks, burndown charts, dashboards, etc. The size of your company doesn't matter. JIRA has the capability to work for smaller organizations and larger ones as well.

JIRA's technical support is absolutely fantabulous. I had used it in the past when I was working at my previous organization. And when we wanted to link it with a framework, they helped us out with the API we were looking for. There were certain areas where we were looking for a specific API. And also they have a lot of options in terms of packages that you can choose according to your company's needs. They had custom packages available. You do not have to buy a larger package. They have smaller packages for smaller organizations. So that's something exciting.

JIRA is fairly easy to set up. That is not a problem.

JIRA's pricing is very economical. I would say that JIRA is a great deal more economical than Microsoft. So pricing-wise, JIRA is also good.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate JIRA nine out of 10. From a technical background, it depends on what you would like to use — which stack you want to go for. In other words, it depends upon the kind of infrastructure you have right now. For example, say you are developing software on Microsoft's .Net framework, then you are obviously already using Visual Studio and Microsoft Stack. In that case, it's a lot easier to integrate with TFS. But if you are using open-source solutions, like a Java platform, you can go for JIRA. So it totally depends upon the technical capability, or technical infrastructure one has.

HB
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Excellent project management tool that offers multiple reporting charts; great user interface

• "Offers great multiple reporting charts."
  • "Integration with some of the automation tools could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for project management, guiding the teams in our company. The solution allows you to create Scrum boards to deliver all the acquired stories within the Scrum Sprints. It also adapts to any other Jive methodology, like Kanban, and helps the creation of roadmaps for the software, production and implementation. We use it for day-to-day tasks, managing our stories, assigning tasks to different developers, and even integrating it with other system control tools to link the story's details. We are customers of Jira.

What is most valuable?

The Jira user interface is really helpful because you can see the big picture regardless of what stage the task is at. You can define priorities and estimate times. If, for example, you're planning to move to Scrum, you need a project management tool; JIRA is perfect for that. It can also be used on personal projects because they offer a free plan with unlimited features to manage your project, define your backlog, and check the status of a project.

The solution comes with multiple reporting charts so you can see the sprint burndown chart and other information. We previously had our own internal tools for Scrum, and moving to Jira was a total upgrade. There's no need to create new accounts for your users. You integrate company emails with an internal server, grant the user access and with their  company credentials, they can log into the platform. That's a pretty good feature.

What needs improvement?

They could probably improve the integration with some of the automation tools and provide a specialized user interface suitable to their requirements.

This is a very stable and reliable solution. The whole company uses it and we have around 500 employees. Our team adopted Jira recently but others in the company have been using it for a while.

Jira is very scalable and allows for the integration with source control tools.

I haven't had to contact technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward, we got access to it and started using it. They also provide you with documentation which helps if you are new to Scrum and new to the platform and features.

There is an annual subscription fee based on the number of users. You can get a subscription for just 10 users, for small teams, and if you want more you can buy more. They have a standard and premium license.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this product because it's scalable and easy to use. They provide best practice articles and quick start tutorials which are very helpful. If a new user has all the documentation, they can go from zero to hero very quickly.

I rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

AD
Technical Lead at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Good reporting and visualizations, sprint tracking is helpful, simple and quick to set up

• "The sprint tracking is really helpful and very convenient."
  • "Having more seamless integration with Confluence would really help us track our product management activity and other product details in one place."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira every day for tasks like tracking product deployments, mapping it to the tools that we use, and sprint tracking. We also used it for audit purposes, where everybody goes back to that for details about each user story.

Each sprint tracking is done in there, as well as the other product-related activities

All aspects of Jira administration help with respect to QA development and deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows us to use customized workloads for different projects.

What is most valuable?

The sprint tracking is really helpful and very convenient.

Scrum boards are very easy to follow and we use them every day.

The roadmap, to understand what our team is going, is quite helpful when it comes to understanding things in a visual format. It provides good visuals such as the Burnup Chart.

Requirement traceability is easier to do with this product.

It integrates well with other tools.

What needs improvement?

We have been working on integrating Jira with Confluence for the past months but it is not yet working. Having more seamless integration with Confluence would really help us track our product management activity and other product details in one place.

Integration with BitBucket would allow us to have a better deployment process.

I have been using Jira for between four and five years.

This product is very much stable, and we have every tracking option being used.

It scales well, from what we have seen. We have more than 350 users that are in groups, and perhaps another 150 in addition to that. We are onboarding a lot of teams.

When I need support, I contact our in-house technical team. I have not spoken with anybody from outside the organization or anybody from Atlassian.

We were using the on-premises version until a year or two ago when we migrated to the cloud version.

The initial setup was simple and it didn't take much time to complete.

We have an in-house team to deploy and manage our IT solutions. There may have been some outside help initially but everything is now done in-house.

We have an enterprise license that includes cloud service and support.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a very good product and I think that it is the best project management tool. It is used company-wide and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

DM
Agile CSM - Sr. Scrum Master at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable work management solution that is easy to understand and work with

• "It's easy to understand, and easy to navigate."
  • "it would be helpful to have a better tutorial for learning and to have a better understanding of what the features are and what they do."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to manage work, to distribute work to the teams, and we use confluence as a SharePoint for documents and to use AgileCraft.

What is most valuable?

This solution is easy to work with. It's easy to understand, and easy to navigate.

What needs improvement?

it would be helpful to have a better tutorial for learning and to have a better understanding of what the features are and what they do.

In the next release, I would like to see better integration with other software. Many companies have a lot of peripheral systems. They have ServiceNow or they could have something else. How do they integrate your stories, your sprints, or if you have confluence, or SharePoint when you start using Jira?

The challenge is when you have someone who is not using confluence, but they have SharePoint or ServiceNow.

How do we connect, or integrate our stories with Jira, so we don't have to have the information in three different places?

The integration and integration threads would help Jira going forward.

I have been using Jira for more than one year.

This solution is stable. I haven't experienced any issues, it works fine.

We have approximately 100 users. It is not used concurrently. There could be anywhere from 20 to 30 users in a day.

We have yet to explore the scalability, but we hope that it is easily scalable. For us, that was the purpose of using this solution in our organization. We plan to use SAFe, a scalable scaler, scale agile.

I have not contacted technical support,

The initial setup was done by two local employees.

This an area that I would like to explore more from an admin perspective, on how to set up teams, what are all of the things we can do, and to set up the right way so that we can get the most potential out of the software.

I am not involved in the pricing. We have a sales team to procure our licenses.

I don't feel that price is an issue.

I have heard of many other solutions, such as Rally, but I have not explored it or compared it with Jira.

What other advice do I have?

It's difficult for me to tell you everything that Jira has to offer when I am still learning. I am trying to educate myself to have a better understanding. I want to learn more.