Ilan Tokazier
Senior Quality Consultant at Knowit
Enables us to print tasks for planning so we can also see what's happening in the system and follow the tickets

• "The feature that I have found most valuable is that it is a quite powerful user tracking system."
  • "Jira is a little bit old fashioned, it could be more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant, and we have some customers with projects who use Jira.

We have customers with different Jira installations because there are so many vendors. It is mostly used as a bug tracking system with tickets, issues and tags.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is that it is a quite powerful user tracking system. Also, we use it to print tasks for planning so you can also see what's happening in the system and follow the tickets.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, there is not much I don't like. It is a little bit faster but with Firefox it can be slow, but that is also the case with many other tools as well. It has quite a lot of options and fields, so I'm not too familiar with them all. That makes it a bit trickier. It could be a little bit easier, it is not that simple or straightforward.

The tool itself is so powerful and the customer's expectation is very high because you have so many things you can do with it. That can make it a little non-user friendly.

I would want to see Jira include some improvements, like drag and drop and color, to make it more straightforward. If you compare it to Microsoft or Octane, they have good features that I would like to see in Jira as well.

Overall, Jira is a little bit old fashioned, it could be more user friendly.

They should make it simpler, to just be able to do some functions, whereas now it takes longer. There are too many clicks.

I have been using Jira for around 15 years or so, but not all the time.

The stability is fine. We have some issue now with our customers, it could be due to the network or other issues, I don't know if it is because of Jira itself. We have quite a complex environment and system for our customers. At the moment we have several tools and different systems. We have some issues with downtime but I am not sure why.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone thinking about Jira is that it would be wise to at least find out the most crucial functions that you need in the product, what features are most important, determine how the project will use Jira, and the most important thing is to have some kind of user training plan because the tool is so complex and flexible that you can use it in many, many different ways.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Jira a nine.

I would give it a nine because of course it needs some improvements. For example, the usability and its speed.

AnujKataria
Project Manager at Duck Creek Technologies
Good support, scalable, seamless integration with QA frameworks

• "JIRA's technical support is absolutely fantabulous. I had used it in the past when I was working at my previous organization. And when we wanted to link it with a framework, they helped us out with the API we were looking for."
  • "In JIRA, it's a bit complex in terms of what advanced search queries we use. Sharing them is also a problem. Because TFS is on the cloud, we can easily save that query and share it with our team members."

What is most valuable?

I'm from a QA background and we used to do automation. It was far easier to link JIRA with our QA automation frameworks because JIRA has a lot of public APIs that we could use. Also, the burndown charts and the ability to manage different frameworks of the adjoint model are helpful. We could use scrum in one project or Kanban. So it was easy to manage the transition from one framework to another. Those are the things I found useful, but I haven't seen the case of TFS yet.

What needs improvement?

JIRA could simplify the query mechanism. Running a query for tasks, stories, and so on is far easier in TFS. The algorithm is easier. In JIRA, it's a bit complex in terms of what advanced search queries we use. Sharing them is also a problem. Because TFS is on the cloud, we can easily save that query and share it with our team members. So that is one area where JIRA has some room for improvement.

JIRA is pretty much stable.

JIRA is far more scalable in terms of using different frameworks, burndown charts, dashboards, etc. The size of your company doesn't matter. JIRA has the capability to work for smaller organizations and larger ones as well.

JIRA's technical support is absolutely fantabulous. I had used it in the past when I was working at my previous organization. And when we wanted to link it with a framework, they helped us out with the API we were looking for. There were certain areas where we were looking for a specific API. And also they have a lot of options in terms of packages that you can choose according to your company's needs. They had custom packages available. You do not have to buy a larger package. They have smaller packages for smaller organizations. So that's something exciting.

JIRA is fairly easy to set up. That is not a problem.

JIRA's pricing is very economical. I would say that JIRA is a great deal more economical than Microsoft. So pricing-wise, JIRA is also good.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate JIRA nine out of 10. From a technical background, it depends on what you would like to use — which stack you want to go for. In other words, it depends upon the kind of infrastructure you have right now. For example, say you are developing software on Microsoft's .Net framework, then you are obviously already using Visual Studio and Microsoft Stack. In that case, it's a lot easier to integrate with TFS. But if you are using open-source solutions, like a Java platform, you can go for JIRA. So it totally depends upon the technical capability, or technical infrastructure one has.

Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HB
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Excellent project management tool that offers multiple reporting charts; great user interface

• "Offers great multiple reporting charts."
  • "Integration with some of the automation tools could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for project management, guiding the teams in our company. The solution allows you to create Scrum boards to deliver all the acquired stories within the Scrum Sprints. It also adapts to any other Jive methodology, like Kanban, and helps the creation of roadmaps for the software, production and implementation. We use it for day-to-day tasks, managing our stories, assigning tasks to different developers, and even integrating it with other system control tools to link the story's details. We are customers of Jira.

What is most valuable?

The Jira user interface is really helpful because you can see the big picture regardless of what stage the task is at. You can define priorities and estimate times. If, for example, you're planning to move to Scrum, you need a project management tool; JIRA is perfect for that. It can also be used on personal projects because they offer a free plan with unlimited features to manage your project, define your backlog, and check the status of a project.

The solution comes with multiple reporting charts so you can see the sprint burndown chart and other information. We previously had our own internal tools for Scrum, and moving to Jira was a total upgrade. There's no need to create new accounts for your users. You integrate company emails with an internal server, grant the user access and with their  company credentials, they can log into the platform. That's a pretty good feature.

What needs improvement?

They could probably improve the integration with some of the automation tools and provide a specialized user interface suitable to their requirements.

This is a very stable and reliable solution. The whole company uses it and we have around 500 employees. Our team adopted Jira recently but others in the company have been using it for a while.

Jira is very scalable and allows for the integration with source control tools.

I haven't had to contact technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward, we got access to it and started using it. They also provide you with documentation which helps if you are new to Scrum and new to the platform and features.

There is an annual subscription fee based on the number of users. You can get a subscription for just 10 users, for small teams, and if you want more you can buy more. They have a standard and premium license.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this product because it's scalable and easy to use. They provide best practice articles and quick start tutorials which are very helpful. If a new user has all the documentation, they can go from zero to hero very quickly.

I rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

AD
Technical Lead at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Good reporting and visualizations, sprint tracking is helpful, simple and quick to set up

• "The sprint tracking is really helpful and very convenient."
  • "Having more seamless integration with Confluence would really help us track our product management activity and other product details in one place."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira every day for tasks like tracking product deployments, mapping it to the tools that we use, and sprint tracking. We also used it for audit purposes, where everybody goes back to that for details about each user story.

Each sprint tracking is done in there, as well as the other product-related activities

All aspects of Jira administration help with respect to QA development and deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows us to use customized workloads for different projects.

What is most valuable?

The sprint tracking is really helpful and very convenient.

Scrum boards are very easy to follow and we use them every day.

The roadmap, to understand what our team is going, is quite helpful when it comes to understanding things in a visual format. It provides good visuals such as the Burnup Chart.

Requirement traceability is easier to do with this product.

It integrates well with other tools.

What needs improvement?

We have been working on integrating Jira with Confluence for the past months but it is not yet working. Having more seamless integration with Confluence would really help us track our product management activity and other product details in one place.

Integration with BitBucket would allow us to have a better deployment process.

I have been using Jira for between four and five years.

This product is very much stable, and we have every tracking option being used.

It scales well, from what we have seen. We have more than 350 users that are in groups, and perhaps another 150 in addition to that. We are onboarding a lot of teams.

When I need support, I contact our in-house technical team. I have not spoken with anybody from outside the organization or anybody from Atlassian.

We were using the on-premises version until a year or two ago when we migrated to the cloud version.

The initial setup was simple and it didn't take much time to complete.

We have an in-house team to deploy and manage our IT solutions. There may have been some outside help initially but everything is now done in-house.

We have an enterprise license that includes cloud service and support.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a very good product and I think that it is the best project management tool. It is used company-wide and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

DM
Agile CSM - Sr. Scrum Master at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable work management solution that is easy to understand and work with

• "It's easy to understand, and easy to navigate."
  • "it would be helpful to have a better tutorial for learning and to have a better understanding of what the features are and what they do."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to manage work, to distribute work to the teams, and we use confluence as a SharePoint for documents and to use AgileCraft.

What is most valuable?

This solution is easy to work with. It's easy to understand, and easy to navigate.

What needs improvement?

it would be helpful to have a better tutorial for learning and to have a better understanding of what the features are and what they do.

In the next release, I would like to see better integration with other software. Many companies have a lot of peripheral systems. They have ServiceNow or they could have something else. How do they integrate your stories, your sprints, or if you have confluence, or SharePoint when you start using Jira?

The challenge is when you have someone who is not using confluence, but they have SharePoint or ServiceNow.

How do we connect, or integrate our stories with Jira, so we don't have to have the information in three different places?

The integration and integration threads would help Jira going forward.

I have been using Jira for more than one year.

This solution is stable. I haven't experienced any issues, it works fine.

We have approximately 100 users. It is not used concurrently. There could be anywhere from 20 to 30 users in a day.

We have yet to explore the scalability, but we hope that it is easily scalable. For us, that was the purpose of using this solution in our organization. We plan to use SAFe, a scalable scaler, scale agile.

I have not contacted technical support,

The initial setup was done by two local employees.

This an area that I would like to explore more from an admin perspective, on how to set up teams, what are all of the things we can do, and to set up the right way so that we can get the most potential out of the software.

I am not involved in the pricing. We have a sales team to procure our licenses.

I don't feel that price is an issue.

I have heard of many other solutions, such as Rally, but I have not explored it or compared it with Jira.

What other advice do I have?

It's difficult for me to tell you everything that Jira has to offer when I am still learning. I am trying to educate myself to have a better understanding. I want to learn more.

MH
Partner at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Stable and flexible with the capability to scale if needed

• "The level of stability is quite good."
  • "I'd like the solution to be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for collaboration purposes.

What is most valuable?

The solution has basically been problem-free so far.

Overall, we've found the product to be quite flexible.

The level of stability is quite good.

The product can scale if you need it to.

What needs improvement?

I'd like the solution to be more secure.

I've been using the solution for about six months at this point. It hasn't been that long. I've been using it for less than a year.

We've enjoyed the stability of the solution. It's good. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. The performance is reliable.

The solution can scale quite well. If a company needs to expand it out, it can do so with relative ease. It's not a pronblem.

Not too many people use the solution in my organization. There are fewer than ten users right now.

We do not have any plans to continue to use the solution, let alone increasing usage.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. There was never a need to call. Therefore, I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are. There was never an opportunity to interact.

We did not previously use another solution before implementing Jira.

I didn't handle any aspect of the installation, and therefore I can't speak to how easy or difficult the implementation was. I'm not sure how long the deployment itself took. I was just handed my login and I was good to go.

As I wasn't involved in the installation process, I can't speak to if a consultant or integrator was used. I have no knowledge of that being the case.

I can't speak to how much a license costs or the process behind setting one up and renewing it. I just use the solution. I don't handle sales or billing.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user. I don't have a business relationship with Jira.

It's my understanding that we are using the latest version of the solution, however, I am not 100% positive that is the case. I don't know the version number off-hand. I am also not sure which deployment model we are using and if it is deployed on cloud or on-premises.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall.

AS
Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Fair pricing, lots of plugins, and offers a cloud version perfect for small teams

• "The task management aspect of Jira is pretty pure. They have a lot of great plugins that really expand your options."
  • "From the project management perspective, I would say there are a lot of different issues that could be tweaked. There can be small improvements with traceability, for example."

What is our primary use case?

In terms of using Jira, I was more on the user side and not really acting as, for example, service desk or support for the Jira installation. That was not my part of the project. I was more tasked with setting up the infrastructure from the architecture point of view. We needed a ticketing system and we need a planning system and the team that was responsible for the tools was installing and providing them with the workflow that we needed.

What is most valuable?

The solution is pretty flexible. I have worked in different projects using different features. From agile to just normal project management and task management. It's got a lot of great features.

If we're talking specifically about project management, the solution is pretty nice. There are a bunch of modules and plugins and add-ons that you can use if you need to.

The test management aspect of Jira is pretty pure. They have a lot of great plugins that really expand your options.

What needs improvement?

There's always room for improvement, however, it depends on how you intend to use the solution. It's hard to pinpoint exact features that are lacking as the solution is quite vast.

I have no idea how long I've been working with the product at this point. It's probably been about ten years or so.

The pricing is fair. Right now, I'm using the solution for my small projects. For example, I'm using the Jira Cloud and Confluence Cloud, which are pretty nice. For small teams, it's a very, very interesting option.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer.

I'd advise, for those users who don't need an enterprise-level environment, that they go for a cloud deployment. For others, they don't really have a choice. They will have to follow up with enterprise security and other protocols. There are not that many options, I would say.

I have learned that Jira, starting in 2024, will not be available as a server installation anymore. Soon there won't be any options at all. It will be the cloud or nothing.

Overall, I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. It's a very good product.

For small teams, the cloud works well. You can do basically whatever you want there, so it's fine. It's also not cost intensive if you're talking about using it for small teams.

EJ
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Strong structure, stable, with good support, and affordable entry-level pricing

• "Jira as a structure has Confluence for documentation, and for what it is offering it is a strong suit with Atlassian."
  • "If Jira would be interested in offering a SharePoint version, it would be beneficial."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to manage our projects.

What is most valuable?

Jira is a great software. There is not much to complain about, other than it doesn't fit very well into our current Microsoft environment.

What needs improvement?

The only thing in our current setup that is a bit difficult is that Jira is a bit of a black box. Only we see it, our customers do not. I know that we can change it but we have not done the work to do it.

Jira is not compatible with our current Microsoft infrastructure.

We are using SharePoint along with WorkPoint in our environment, which is used for document management and process management. For projects, it is a better connection between HelpDesk and the projects. Moving into SharePoint would help.

I have been working with Jira for approximately five years.

Jira is a stable product.

We have approximately 50 users in our company who use Jira.

I am satisfied with the technical support of Jira. It's fine.

I have tested Plumsail Helpdesk. There's only one thing that worries me. Due to GDPR, we cannot use email yet in Plumsail. That is the only thing, use email to create tickets.

I don't know where the mailbox is in Plumsail, otherwise, it just ends up in us using SharePoint. It looks very promising.

It is very affordable at the entry-level. When you get larger, the pricing becomes very, very steep. It is the same for many other solutions, but I find it expensive when you get larger.

We are currently using Jira but want to move the help desk to SharePoint.

We have a Microsoft environment. SharePoint HelpDesk would fit better into our environment. As we are larger than we originally started, we have to make some changes to our current setup.

I also find Plumsail HelpDesk quite interesting.

What other advice do I have?

I don't know what to compare it to. It is not an A product, but it's a strong piece.

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.