DM
Agile CSM - Sr. Scrum Master at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable work management solution that is easy to understand and work with

• "It's easy to understand, and easy to navigate."
  • "it would be helpful to have a better tutorial for learning and to have a better understanding of what the features are and what they do."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to manage work, to distribute work to the teams, and we use confluence as a SharePoint for documents and to use AgileCraft.

What is most valuable?

This solution is easy to work with. It's easy to understand, and easy to navigate.

What needs improvement?

it would be helpful to have a better tutorial for learning and to have a better understanding of what the features are and what they do.

In the next release, I would like to see better integration with other software. Many companies have a lot of peripheral systems. They have ServiceNow or they could have something else. How do they integrate your stories, your sprints, or if you have confluence, or SharePoint when you start using Jira?

The challenge is when you have someone who is not using confluence, but they have SharePoint or ServiceNow.

How do we connect, or integrate our stories with Jira, so we don't have to have the information in three different places?

The integration and integration threads would help Jira going forward.

I have been using Jira for more than one year.

This solution is stable. I haven't experienced any issues, it works fine.

We have approximately 100 users. It is not used concurrently. There could be anywhere from 20 to 30 users in a day.

We have yet to explore the scalability, but we hope that it is easily scalable. For us, that was the purpose of using this solution in our organization. We plan to use SAFe, a scalable scaler, scale agile.

I have not contacted technical support,

The initial setup was done by two local employees.

This an area that I would like to explore more from an admin perspective, on how to set up teams, what are all of the things we can do, and to set up the right way so that we can get the most potential out of the software.

I am not involved in the pricing. We have a sales team to procure our licenses.

I don't feel that price is an issue.

I have heard of many other solutions, such as Rally, but I have not explored it or compared it with Jira.

What other advice do I have?

It's difficult for me to tell you everything that Jira has to offer when I am still learning. I am trying to educate myself to have a better understanding. I want to learn more.

MH
Partner at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Stable and flexible with the capability to scale if needed

• "The level of stability is quite good."
  • "I'd like the solution to be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for collaboration purposes.

What is most valuable?

The solution has basically been problem-free so far.

Overall, we've found the product to be quite flexible.

The level of stability is quite good.

The product can scale if you need it to.

What needs improvement?

I'd like the solution to be more secure.

I've been using the solution for about six months at this point. It hasn't been that long. I've been using it for less than a year.

We've enjoyed the stability of the solution. It's good. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. The performance is reliable.

The solution can scale quite well. If a company needs to expand it out, it can do so with relative ease. It's not a pronblem.

Not too many people use the solution in my organization. There are fewer than ten users right now.

We do not have any plans to continue to use the solution, let alone increasing usage.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. There was never a need to call. Therefore, I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are. There was never an opportunity to interact.

We did not previously use another solution before implementing Jira.

I didn't handle any aspect of the installation, and therefore I can't speak to how easy or difficult the implementation was. I'm not sure how long the deployment itself took. I was just handed my login and I was good to go.

As I wasn't involved in the installation process, I can't speak to if a consultant or integrator was used. I have no knowledge of that being the case.

I can't speak to how much a license costs or the process behind setting one up and renewing it. I just use the solution. I don't handle sales or billing.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user. I don't have a business relationship with Jira.

It's my understanding that we are using the latest version of the solution, however, I am not 100% positive that is the case. I don't know the version number off-hand. I am also not sure which deployment model we are using and if it is deployed on cloud or on-premises.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall.

Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AS
Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Fair pricing, lots of plugins, and offers a cloud version perfect for small teams

• "The task management aspect of Jira is pretty pure. They have a lot of great plugins that really expand your options."
  • "From the project management perspective, I would say there are a lot of different issues that could be tweaked. There can be small improvements with traceability, for example."

What is our primary use case?

In terms of using Jira, I was more on the user side and not really acting as, for example, service desk or support for the Jira installation. That was not my part of the project. I was more tasked with setting up the infrastructure from the architecture point of view. We needed a ticketing system and we need a planning system and the team that was responsible for the tools was installing and providing them with the workflow that we needed.

What is most valuable?

The solution is pretty flexible. I have worked in different projects using different features. From agile to just normal project management and task management. It's got a lot of great features.

If we're talking specifically about project management, the solution is pretty nice. There are a bunch of modules and plugins and add-ons that you can use if you need to.

The test management aspect of Jira is pretty pure. They have a lot of great plugins that really expand your options.

What needs improvement?

There's always room for improvement, however, it depends on how you intend to use the solution. It's hard to pinpoint exact features that are lacking as the solution is quite vast.

I have no idea how long I've been working with the product at this point. It's probably been about ten years or so.

The pricing is fair. Right now, I'm using the solution for my small projects. For example, I'm using the Jira Cloud and Confluence Cloud, which are pretty nice. For small teams, it's a very, very interesting option.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer.

I'd advise, for those users who don't need an enterprise-level environment, that they go for a cloud deployment. For others, they don't really have a choice. They will have to follow up with enterprise security and other protocols. There are not that many options, I would say.

I have learned that Jira, starting in 2024, will not be available as a server installation anymore. Soon there won't be any options at all. It will be the cloud or nothing.

Overall, I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. It's a very good product.

For small teams, the cloud works well. You can do basically whatever you want there, so it's fine. It's also not cost intensive if you're talking about using it for small teams.

AD
Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Good scalability with great scrum boards with very good project transparency

• "The solution offers up great transparency that makes it possible for everyone inside the departmental organization to see what's happening."
  • "In general, although we use JIRA, we never really learned how to use it properly. The learning curve of the solution is high. It has a lot of power, and yet we don't understand its capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for project management purposes.

What is most valuable?

The prompt board really helped us out on projects. The scrum boards and the representation of the product backlog that helped us a lot as well. It's great for project management.

What needs improvement?

There needs to be more training modules and more emphasis from the company on proper training and product overviews so that users really understand its capabilities and can actually use the solution effectively.

I've been using the solution for nine years.

I do recall that there were a few times when servers went down, however, I don't really remember that much about why it happened. Usually, it got fixed very quickly. Largely, the usability was good.

In our organization, we had about 200 people using it and we didn't really have any problem with scalability.

Technical support is good, however, we haven't really used them on many occasions. We never have really dug into the solution to understand it, and therefore we didn't really need the help of technical support to walk us through anything.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have any type of professional relationship with Jira. We aren't integrators or resellers.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. I'd rate it higher, however, if the solution wasn't quite so dense and complex. It would be helpful if there were training modules to help teams and users better utilize the full solution. As of right now, we've never really mastered the solution to its full capacity. I'm sure the solution has much more to offer, however, we have only really dug into some basic features. Our organization doesn't really emphasize the usage of the system.

I'd recommend those considering using the solution to really get some training before they begin and to maybe try doing some pilot projects to test its capabilities. Jira, as is my understanding, does offer a free trial, and new users would benefit from taking advantage of that.

EJ
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Strong structure, stable, with good support, and affordable entry-level pricing

• "Jira as a structure has Confluence for documentation, and for what it is offering it is a strong suit with Atlassian."
  • "If Jira would be interested in offering a SharePoint version, it would be beneficial."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to manage our projects.

What is most valuable?

Jira is a great software. There is not much to complain about, other than it doesn't fit very well into our current Microsoft environment.

What needs improvement?

The only thing in our current setup that is a bit difficult is that Jira is a bit of a black box. Only we see it, our customers do not. I know that we can change it but we have not done the work to do it.

Jira is not compatible with our current Microsoft infrastructure.

We are using SharePoint along with WorkPoint in our environment, which is used for document management and process management. For projects, it is a better connection between HelpDesk and the projects. Moving into SharePoint would help.

I have been working with Jira for approximately five years.

Jira is a stable product.

We have approximately 50 users in our company who use Jira.

I am satisfied with the technical support of Jira. It's fine.

I have tested Plumsail Helpdesk. There's only one thing that worries me. Due to GDPR, we cannot use email yet in Plumsail. That is the only thing, use email to create tickets.

I don't know where the mailbox is in Plumsail, otherwise, it just ends up in us using SharePoint. It looks very promising.

It is very affordable at the entry-level. When you get larger, the pricing becomes very, very steep. It is the same for many other solutions, but I find it expensive when you get larger.

We are currently using Jira but want to move the help desk to SharePoint.

We have a Microsoft environment. SharePoint HelpDesk would fit better into our environment. As we are larger than we originally started, we have to make some changes to our current setup.

I also find Plumsail HelpDesk quite interesting.

What other advice do I have?

I don't know what to compare it to. It is not an A product, but it's a strong piece.

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

UK
Microfocus Solutions Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to use with good pricing but we focus on other products

• "The pricing of the product is very good. It's not too expensive"
  • "Jira could be more, for example, like Micro Focus, which is what I mostly work with currently."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for bug tracking. It's for customer support purposes.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite easy to use. It's very user-friendly. The product is very easy to understand.

The solution offers very good tools for Agile teams.

The pricing of the product is very good. It's not too expensive.

What needs improvement?

We're more focused on other solutions. Jira could be more, for example, like Micro Focus, which is what I mostly work with currently.

I've been using the solution for about seven months at this point.

I'm not sure if the product is stable or not. I don't have any insights into that aspect of the product.

I don't know if the solution is scalable or not. It's not an aspect of the solution I'm responsible for.

I'm not sure how many users are on the solution currently. I'm not sure if there is a plan to increase usage just yet. That might be a question for our company in the next year or so.

We tend to handle technical support internally for the most part. I can't really speak to the actual technical support from Jira as I haven't dealt with them for the most part.

We are also using Micro Focus.

I'm more on the customer support side of the product. I didn't really handle the setup process. Other members of my team handled the implementation.

We've found the pricing to be quite good. It's not overly expensive. It's very reasonable and affordable for companies to implement.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a specific business relationship with Jira.

I'm not sure of which version of the solution we're using currently. It's my understanding that it is the latest version. I'm not sure if we are using the cloud or the on-premises deployment version.

Currently, I'm more focused on the Micro Focus product as opposed to Jira. That's more where my expertise is at the moment.

That said, it's pretty easy to use and I would recommend Jira to other organizations for that reason.

Overall, I would rate it at a seven out of ten.

MG
KPMG company at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Stable and straightforward to install, and it provides a good view on the status of Agile projects

• "This product provides you a good view of the status of your projects."
  • "I think that there is some ease of use that could be brought in to improve certain things."

What is our primary use case?

When you are engaged in an Agile development environment, most of the handling and tracking of the stories are handled in Jira. It can also be used for handling and tracking requests in a ticketing system.

I am a consultant from the quality and design part of the work that we do, and I help people introduce tools into their system. Currently, I am only working with one customer that is using Jira. In the past, I have had five or six who were actively using it.

What is most valuable?

This solution covers almost all of the types of uses that we have, from an Agile perspective. All of our requirements are supported by it.

This product provides you a good view of the status of your projects.

What needs improvement?

When I was managing projects that started from epics and moved to multiple tasks, I found that the integration of epics and user stories could have been a little easier. I've seen people struggling to use that aspect of Jira. I think that there is some ease of use that could be brought in to improve certain things.

I have been working with Jira on and off for the past six to seven years.

This is a stable product.

I have not used Jira for really huge projects. I have had groups of between 30 and 40 people and for that size, there were no issues with scalability.

We have asked a couple of questions from technical support and I don't recall having any issues with that. Everything was as expected.

I have not completed an installation myself, but my understanding is that it is quite straightforward. I am familiar with cloud-based deployment but I believe that it can be deployed in a private environment, as well.

One of my customers told me that they were receiving better pricing for a similar tool from Microsoft. Specifically, the total cost of ownership was cheaper with Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a tool that I would recommend to people, depending on their needs.

In summary, it is a good product and the only room for improvement that I can see is that it needs better integration.

Kajal Panwar
Quality Assurance Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good dashboard, easy to track automation status but could be more user friendly

• "Has a good dashboard with good tracking features."
  • "Could offer an improved user experience."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of Jira is for tracking corporates and for new test cases where we need to execute monthly releases. We use it for test management purposes, whether for tracking or test use cases in their different cycles. We log everything on Jira and are very dependent on it. We are customers of Jira and I'm senior quality assurance person.

How has it helped my organization?

We've seen a benefit from the tracking of the release sizes and their status, it's very clear and simple, and the UI for Jira is easy to understand.

What is most valuable?

Jira has a good dashboard. If I'm running an automated test script on different levels, say API automated or UI automated, and want to track automation status in the dashboard, I can get the overall status. I know how many cases are automated with the API or the UI and how many cannot be automated. It's a good feature.

What needs improvement?

Jira could be more user friendly. When I started using it, I faced difficulties in different project selections and there were issues with bugs. It was not straightforward. I feel it could offer an improved user experience. I have a small issue that whenever I log out there's a bug and for a fraction of a second, I'll get a notification that then disappears before I can do anything about it.

I've been using Jira for quite some time.

From a performance perspective, I have faced many issues, some bugs and glitches, and there has been some down time. In general, it's a stable solution.

The solution is scalable; we have BA, QA and Dev Ops people all using Jira. Everyone has  access, but certain users have access to certain areas. It's our test management tool so we use it a lot, everything is tracked on Jira and our reports come from there.

We haven't used the technical support.

I used TFS before Jira. They are similar tools but I found TFS to be a more complicated solution.

The deployment took a few hours, some aspects were more complicated than others.

I'm not involved in the licensing aspect.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Jira seven out of 10.