EJ
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Strong structure, stable, with good support, and affordable entry-level pricing

• "Jira as a structure has Confluence for documentation, and for what it is offering it is a strong suit with Atlassian."
  • "If Jira would be interested in offering a SharePoint version, it would be beneficial."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to manage our projects.

What is most valuable?

Jira is a great software. There is not much to complain about, other than it doesn't fit very well into our current Microsoft environment.

What needs improvement?

The only thing in our current setup that is a bit difficult is that Jira is a bit of a black box. Only we see it, our customers do not. I know that we can change it but we have not done the work to do it.

Jira is not compatible with our current Microsoft infrastructure.

We are using SharePoint along with WorkPoint in our environment, which is used for document management and process management. For projects, it is a better connection between HelpDesk and the projects. Moving into SharePoint would help.

I have been working with Jira for approximately five years.

Jira is a stable product.

We have approximately 50 users in our company who use Jira.

I am satisfied with the technical support of Jira. It's fine.

I have tested Plumsail Helpdesk. There's only one thing that worries me. Due to GDPR, we cannot use email yet in Plumsail. That is the only thing, use email to create tickets.

I don't know where the mailbox is in Plumsail, otherwise, it just ends up in us using SharePoint. It looks very promising.

It is very affordable at the entry-level. When you get larger, the pricing becomes very, very steep. It is the same for many other solutions, but I find it expensive when you get larger.

We are currently using Jira but want to move the help desk to SharePoint.

We have a Microsoft environment. SharePoint HelpDesk would fit better into our environment. As we are larger than we originally started, we have to make some changes to our current setup.

I also find Plumsail HelpDesk quite interesting.

What other advice do I have?

I don't know what to compare it to. It is not an A product, but it's a strong piece.

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

UK
Microfocus Solutions Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to use with good pricing but we focus on other products

• "The pricing of the product is very good. It's not too expensive"
  • "Jira could be more, for example, like Micro Focus, which is what I mostly work with currently."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for bug tracking. It's for customer support purposes.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite easy to use. It's very user-friendly. The product is very easy to understand.

The solution offers very good tools for Agile teams.

The pricing of the product is very good. It's not too expensive.

What needs improvement?

We're more focused on other solutions. Jira could be more, for example, like Micro Focus, which is what I mostly work with currently.

I've been using the solution for about seven months at this point.

I'm not sure if the product is stable or not. I don't have any insights into that aspect of the product.

I don't know if the solution is scalable or not. It's not an aspect of the solution I'm responsible for.

I'm not sure how many users are on the solution currently. I'm not sure if there is a plan to increase usage just yet. That might be a question for our company in the next year or so.

We tend to handle technical support internally for the most part. I can't really speak to the actual technical support from Jira as I haven't dealt with them for the most part.

We are also using Micro Focus.

I'm more on the customer support side of the product. I didn't really handle the setup process. Other members of my team handled the implementation.

We've found the pricing to be quite good. It's not overly expensive. It's very reasonable and affordable for companies to implement.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a specific business relationship with Jira.

I'm not sure of which version of the solution we're using currently. It's my understanding that it is the latest version. I'm not sure if we are using the cloud or the on-premises deployment version.

Currently, I'm more focused on the Micro Focus product as opposed to Jira. That's more where my expertise is at the moment.

That said, it's pretty easy to use and I would recommend Jira to other organizations for that reason.

Overall, I would rate it at a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MG
KPMG company at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Stable and straightforward to install, and it provides a good view on the status of Agile projects

• "This product provides you a good view of the status of your projects."
  • "I think that there is some ease of use that could be brought in to improve certain things."

What is our primary use case?

When you are engaged in an Agile development environment, most of the handling and tracking of the stories are handled in Jira. It can also be used for handling and tracking requests in a ticketing system.

I am a consultant from the quality and design part of the work that we do, and I help people introduce tools into their system. Currently, I am only working with one customer that is using Jira. In the past, I have had five or six who were actively using it.

What is most valuable?

This solution covers almost all of the types of uses that we have, from an Agile perspective. All of our requirements are supported by it.

This product provides you a good view of the status of your projects.

What needs improvement?

When I was managing projects that started from epics and moved to multiple tasks, I found that the integration of epics and user stories could have been a little easier. I've seen people struggling to use that aspect of Jira. I think that there is some ease of use that could be brought in to improve certain things.

I have been working with Jira on and off for the past six to seven years.

This is a stable product.

I have not used Jira for really huge projects. I have had groups of between 30 and 40 people and for that size, there were no issues with scalability.

We have asked a couple of questions from technical support and I don't recall having any issues with that. Everything was as expected.

I have not completed an installation myself, but my understanding is that it is quite straightforward. I am familiar with cloud-based deployment but I believe that it can be deployed in a private environment, as well.

One of my customers told me that they were receiving better pricing for a similar tool from Microsoft. Specifically, the total cost of ownership was cheaper with Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a tool that I would recommend to people, depending on their needs.

In summary, it is a good product and the only room for improvement that I can see is that it needs better integration.

Kajal Panwar
Quality Assurance Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good dashboard, easy to track automation status but could be more user friendly

• "Has a good dashboard with good tracking features."
  • "Could offer an improved user experience."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of Jira is for tracking corporates and for new test cases where we need to execute monthly releases. We use it for test management purposes, whether for tracking or test use cases in their different cycles. We log everything on Jira and are very dependent on it. We are customers of Jira and I'm senior quality assurance person.

How has it helped my organization?

We've seen a benefit from the tracking of the release sizes and their status, it's very clear and simple, and the UI for Jira is easy to understand.

What is most valuable?

Jira has a good dashboard. If I'm running an automated test script on different levels, say API automated or UI automated, and want to track automation status in the dashboard, I can get the overall status. I know how many cases are automated with the API or the UI and how many cannot be automated. It's a good feature.

What needs improvement?

Jira could be more user friendly. When I started using it, I faced difficulties in different project selections and there were issues with bugs. It was not straightforward. I feel it could offer an improved user experience. I have a small issue that whenever I log out there's a bug and for a fraction of a second, I'll get a notification that then disappears before I can do anything about it.

I've been using Jira for quite some time.

From a performance perspective, I have faced many issues, some bugs and glitches, and there has been some down time. In general, it's a stable solution.

The solution is scalable; we have BA, QA and Dev Ops people all using Jira. Everyone has  access, but certain users have access to certain areas. It's our test management tool so we use it a lot, everything is tracked on Jira and our reports come from there.

We haven't used the technical support.

I used TFS before Jira. They are similar tools but I found TFS to be a more complicated solution.

The deployment took a few hours, some aspects were more complicated than others.

I'm not involved in the licensing aspect.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Jira seven out of 10.

WC
Lecturer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great for development and scrums but needs more flexibility

• "The solution helps a lot with scrums."
  • "I'd like some more features around software testing. I'd like to see some more stuff done around data testing. That's what I'm most interested in."

What is our primary use case?

Right now, I'm just trying the solution out. I'm doing a POC.

What is most valuable?

The solution helps a lot with scrums.

It's great for development.

The documentation is quite good.

It has some automated software testing which is useful.

What needs improvement?

They could be better around generating documentation and essentially helping with test scenarios, test cases, or test results in a way that is more user-friendly.

The product needs to be more flexible to adapt more effectively. Sometimes you fix the style or the format and it might not suit the environment. I'd like to be able to more effectively configure it.

I've only used the solution for less than a year at this point. It hasn't been too long.

The solution is quite stable. It's not really buggy and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's pretty reliable.

The product can scale if a company needs it to. They should be able to expand it to have it meet their needs.

I haven't really dealt with technical support. I study the solution mostly on my own. I've never spoken to them and therefore can't speak to how their services are.

In a few months, once I have used it on a deeper level, I may get the chance to reach out. However, as of right now, that has not been the case.

The initial setup is not complex at all. It's quite straightforward. We didn't have any issues with it.

I'm not sure how long the deployment takes. I'm a lecturer and consultant, and therefore my role is more to help people use the tool rather than set up the tool for them.

I use the free version of the solution. We don't pay for it at all.

What other advice do I have?

I use the current version of the solution.

Right now, I'm on the free version. I'm just trying it out right now, to see if I like it.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations.

Overall, I would rate it at a seven out of ten.

Kamal Solanki
Scrum Master at Zen Hitech
Could be more intuitive and technical support is lacking; has good reporting capabilities

• "Powerful features including a good reporting capability."
  • "Could be more intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

I work for an insurance company that has developers who need to be tracked. We're working on converting the spreadsheet into a Kanban flow environment. I'm the program manager/master.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very powerful, has many good features, in particular a good reporting capability. I like many of the features, and I have the benefit of having a very skilled Jira administrator helping me out because I'm a PM.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not as intuitive as it should be and you have to play around with the environment quite a bit before you get a handle on how things work. One of the issues is that it's usual for a ticket to have a primary developer on it and other people supporting, but that's not possible in Jira. They have a very thick policy and a ticket can only have one assigning, although it may be possible to do it as a number coding, I'm not sure. I'd like to see the solution include a feature whereby you can link stories visually, to explicitly show the connection between a user story and a task.

I've been using Jira for several years.

Scalability of the solution seems fine.

Technical support could be improved. When you submit a ticket, it can take two or three rounds before you get what you're looking for. I send the ticket and receive an irrelevant response, which doesn't help. You can go backwards and forwards with them and never get there which is very frustrating. I'm not sure if the user community is that helpful. I've submitted two questions but haven't yet received a response.

The initial setup was quite complex.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is fairly good at doing a lot of things, and is potentially very good, but it takes some getting up to speed on. I've used a product called Kanban Flow, and that's very intuitive, very easy to use. Jira seems to be more complicated and requires having specialists on board so that if you have a problem, you can get help immediately without having to go through the ordeal of submitting a ticket and waiting two or three days to get a response, which may not be helpful at all.

I rate this solution a five out of 10.

AliRaza
Technical Project Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
A scalable proprietary issue tracking product with useful test cases

• "I like the test cases in Jira. The orange dash items view was great, and I like the features and layout of the data. It's quite different, and people are now getting their items so quickly."
  • "Sometimes it takes time to load the data."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira Interview to handle all the facts from clients and schedule calls with them. We have a different operations department that configures Jira, and we have technical people that help us choose the deployment model.

The main reason we are using Jira at this time is for a different dashboard and chart. The major one that we are using is for the stock analysis, and it's nice to get that time log for our team, get the score of the game, 40 points delivered in a week or a month. we are using Jira for following purposes:

Issue tracking
Project-level permissions
Project backlogs
Email notifications
Roadmaps

How has it helped my organization?

Productivity increased by using this tool and organization can measure the productivity of a resource. early alert being displayed in the case of project failure and success. Org can identified the work load on resources for a day.

What is most valuable?

We like the test cases in Jira. The orange dash items view was great, and we like the features and layout of the data. It's quite different, and people are now getting their items so quickly. We love the bulk edit feature. Jira also integrates well with Bitbucket.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes it takes time to load the data.

I've been using Jira since 2015.

Performance-wise, Jira is good, but sometimes it takes time to load that data.

Jira is scalable. We have about 470 people working with Jira in our company.

The support team is very helpful and supportive. I requested multiple things and faced some concerns, they were very cooperative and responsive.

Asana. Jira has better work flow and features relative smart and easy to use.

It is easy to set up. We can use project templates. We can use classic projects templates or create new templates. We have also build the custom workflows for the custom templates.  We use templates for our daily progress.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that they should all get it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Jira an eight.

Hybrid Cloud

JM
Cloud Global Director at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
A good integrated platform that is stable and reasonably priced

• "The solution has been very stable overall."
  • "It would be ideal if the solution could be available as a mobile application."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for customer service and managed services, and for all the workflows for the services. It's also a bit of a CRM. We use it largely for technical support.

What is most valuable?

The solution provides an integrated platform for customer service. It's good at organizing our technical support for clients.

The solution has been very stable overall. We haven't had any issues with performance.

The pricing is reasonable. It's not too expensive.

What needs improvement?

The UX and UI could be better. It's something they need to improve upon. It needs to be updated and made more modern.

It would be ideal if the solution could be available as a mobile application.

We would like the solution to be a little less costly, although, overall, the price isn't bad.

I've been using the solution for five years or so. We've been using it for a while at this point.

I've found the stability to be very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance has been good.

We've never reached out to technical support for help in the past. I wouldn't be able to speak to the level of service they provide.

We did not previously use another solution. We do not want to switch to something new at this time either.

Unfortunately, I was not a part of the company when it was originally set up. I have no idea how the implementation went. I wouldn't be able to comment on if it was easy or difficult and/or how long it took to deploy.

While, of course, in general, we always want the pricing to be lower, it's pretty reasonable. The costs aren't too bad.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a JIRA customer and an end-user.

We are using the latest version of the solution. I'm not exactly sure of the version number.

We do not plan to switch to another solution. We're quite happy with this product overall.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.