Kajal Panwar
Quality Assurance Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good dashboard, easy to track automation status but could be more user friendly

• "Has a good dashboard with good tracking features."
  • "Could offer an improved user experience."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of Jira is for tracking corporates and for new test cases where we need to execute monthly releases. We use it for test management purposes, whether for tracking or test use cases in their different cycles. We log everything on Jira and are very dependent on it. We are customers of Jira and I'm senior quality assurance person.

How has it helped my organization?

We've seen a benefit from the tracking of the release sizes and their status, it's very clear and simple, and the UI for Jira is easy to understand.

What is most valuable?

Jira has a good dashboard. If I'm running an automated test script on different levels, say API automated or UI automated, and want to track automation status in the dashboard, I can get the overall status. I know how many cases are automated with the API or the UI and how many cannot be automated. It's a good feature.

What needs improvement?

Jira could be more user friendly. When I started using it, I faced difficulties in different project selections and there were issues with bugs. It was not straightforward. I feel it could offer an improved user experience. I have a small issue that whenever I log out there's a bug and for a fraction of a second, I'll get a notification that then disappears before I can do anything about it.

I've been using Jira for quite some time.

From a performance perspective, I have faced many issues, some bugs and glitches, and there has been some down time. In general, it's a stable solution.

The solution is scalable; we have BA, QA and Dev Ops people all using Jira. Everyone has  access, but certain users have access to certain areas. It's our test management tool so we use it a lot, everything is tracked on Jira and our reports come from there.

We haven't used the technical support.

I used TFS before Jira. They are similar tools but I found TFS to be a more complicated solution.

The deployment took a few hours, some aspects were more complicated than others.

I'm not involved in the licensing aspect.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Jira seven out of 10.

WC
Lecturer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great for development and scrums but needs more flexibility

• "The solution helps a lot with scrums."
  • "I'd like some more features around software testing. I'd like to see some more stuff done around data testing. That's what I'm most interested in."

What is our primary use case?

Right now, I'm just trying the solution out. I'm doing a POC.

What is most valuable?

The solution helps a lot with scrums.

It's great for development.

The documentation is quite good.

It has some automated software testing which is useful.

What needs improvement?

They could be better around generating documentation and essentially helping with test scenarios, test cases, or test results in a way that is more user-friendly.

The product needs to be more flexible to adapt more effectively. Sometimes you fix the style or the format and it might not suit the environment. I'd like to be able to more effectively configure it.

I've only used the solution for less than a year at this point. It hasn't been too long.

The solution is quite stable. It's not really buggy and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's pretty reliable.

The product can scale if a company needs it to. They should be able to expand it to have it meet their needs.

I haven't really dealt with technical support. I study the solution mostly on my own. I've never spoken to them and therefore can't speak to how their services are.

In a few months, once I have used it on a deeper level, I may get the chance to reach out. However, as of right now, that has not been the case.

The initial setup is not complex at all. It's quite straightforward. We didn't have any issues with it.

I'm not sure how long the deployment takes. I'm a lecturer and consultant, and therefore my role is more to help people use the tool rather than set up the tool for them.

I use the free version of the solution. We don't pay for it at all.

What other advice do I have?

I use the current version of the solution.

Right now, I'm on the free version. I'm just trying it out right now, to see if I like it.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations.

Overall, I would rate it at a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Kamal Solanki
Scrum Master at Zen Hitech
Could be more intuitive and technical support is lacking; has good reporting capabilities

• "Powerful features including a good reporting capability."
  • "Could be more intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

I work for an insurance company that has developers who need to be tracked. We're working on converting the spreadsheet into a Kanban flow environment. I'm the program manager/master.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very powerful, has many good features, in particular a good reporting capability. I like many of the features, and I have the benefit of having a very skilled Jira administrator helping me out because I'm a PM.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not as intuitive as it should be and you have to play around with the environment quite a bit before you get a handle on how things work. One of the issues is that it's usual for a ticket to have a primary developer on it and other people supporting, but that's not possible in Jira. They have a very thick policy and a ticket can only have one assigning, although it may be possible to do it as a number coding, I'm not sure. I'd like to see the solution include a feature whereby you can link stories visually, to explicitly show the connection between a user story and a task.

I've been using Jira for several years.

Scalability of the solution seems fine.

Technical support could be improved. When you submit a ticket, it can take two or three rounds before you get what you're looking for. I send the ticket and receive an irrelevant response, which doesn't help. You can go backwards and forwards with them and never get there which is very frustrating. I'm not sure if the user community is that helpful. I've submitted two questions but haven't yet received a response.

The initial setup was quite complex.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is fairly good at doing a lot of things, and is potentially very good, but it takes some getting up to speed on. I've used a product called Kanban Flow, and that's very intuitive, very easy to use. Jira seems to be more complicated and requires having specialists on board so that if you have a problem, you can get help immediately without having to go through the ordeal of submitting a ticket and waiting two or three days to get a response, which may not be helpful at all.

I rate this solution a five out of 10.

JM
Cloud Global Director at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
A good integrated platform that is stable and reasonably priced

• "The solution has been very stable overall."
  • "It would be ideal if the solution could be available as a mobile application."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for customer service and managed services, and for all the workflows for the services. It's also a bit of a CRM. We use it largely for technical support.

What is most valuable?

The solution provides an integrated platform for customer service. It's good at organizing our technical support for clients.

The solution has been very stable overall. We haven't had any issues with performance.

The pricing is reasonable. It's not too expensive.

What needs improvement?

The UX and UI could be better. It's something they need to improve upon. It needs to be updated and made more modern.

It would be ideal if the solution could be available as a mobile application.

We would like the solution to be a little less costly, although, overall, the price isn't bad.

I've been using the solution for five years or so. We've been using it for a while at this point.

I've found the stability to be very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance has been good.

We've never reached out to technical support for help in the past. I wouldn't be able to speak to the level of service they provide.

We did not previously use another solution. We do not want to switch to something new at this time either.

Unfortunately, I was not a part of the company when it was originally set up. I have no idea how the implementation went. I wouldn't be able to comment on if it was easy or difficult and/or how long it took to deploy.

While, of course, in general, we always want the pricing to be lower, it's pretty reasonable. The costs aren't too bad.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a JIRA customer and an end-user.

We are using the latest version of the solution. I'm not exactly sure of the version number.

We do not plan to switch to another solution. We're quite happy with this product overall.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

NK
IT PMO Project Leader at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly and easy to configure, but needs better dashboard reports

• "It is user-friendly, and you can manage your project according to the methodology you want. It is also easy to configure."
  • "The dashboard reports can be improved. Its dashboard reports are good, but you cannot have complex reports. They are currently very basic. For instance, we can only choose two columns for a dashboard, so it is not friendly enough."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for service management, change management, project management, and tracking the changes.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The dashboard reports can be improved. Its dashboard reports are good, but you cannot have complex reports. They are currently very basic. For instance, we can only choose two columns for a dashboard, so it is not friendly enough.

So far, I've only used the project management parts. We are examining resource planning and sample plugins for the product. From my point of view, resource planning is a little bit hard to link with project management. Sample plugins are another part of the system, and we need to link it with project management in the BigPicture screen, which is a little bit hard. It would be valuable for us if we can do resource planning in BigPicture as well. Currently, it is another plugin, and you can only plan based on the people and not projects, and you cannot link it, as far as I know.

My company has been using it since the beginning of this year. It has been around six months. I have been using it for three weeks.

It is stable, and everyone generally looks satisfied.

We are trying to settle the project management part and widen it to all countries in our company. There will be many users.

We are working with a consulting company. Technically, we are okay because all of us are using it now, and there is no problem. We just need to see more details of some of the modules of Jira.

For its implementation and deployment, they have been working for one year.

What other advice do I have?

Jira is a big platform, and you can use staff management, project management, and other fields that all companies want to use. If you use Jira, you will see the whole IT governance in one system.

With this solution, we can see the full picture in detail, but it can be improved. Resource planning is not easy for our project base.

I would rate Jira a seven out of 10. It will be an eight in the future. I need more time to work on Jira.

HD
Owner at a media company with 51-200 employees
Good sprint-management functionality and offers many configuration options

• "The most valuable feature is working with sprints and having the ability to create sprints."
  • "The sprint-related graphics need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira to manage our development sprints.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is working with sprints and having the ability to create sprints. You can create and move onto the next one.

Also, for example, while I don't use a lot of plugins, when you have a ticket then all of the information you can put into it is centralized.

There are so many opportunities that you can create almost anything.

What needs improvement?

The sprint-related graphics need to be improved.

They are using story points for the sprint breakdown graphics. When you have five large stories with several story points, in the first week of the sprint, nothing gets done. This means that you have a flat line and then, in the end, all of the stories are done at the same time. So, we created all of the graphics but they were useless because it was just a horizontal line and then at the end of the sprint it dropped down to zero points. Basically, it was a square.

In the next release, I would like to see a good graph that takes into count what you put into your stories.

I have worked with Jira, on and off for four or five years. I last used it in April, a few months ago. I have always been working with the latest versions.

It's a stable solution.

Jira is scalable, but you will need knowledge of every team because in every organization you have several teams that work differently.

You need to understand and know how to scale and be prepared.

It doesn't require many people to maintain Jira.

You can configure a lot yourself, depending on how many rights you get in the application.

If you have enough rights, you will have a lot of opportunities to configure it in the way you like.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using Jira because you can do a lot with it. However, I think that as you start working, you should start small. Work with it and try to configure things that you really need.

Involve the whole team in what you are going to use and how you're going to use it.

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

NK
Senior Analyst Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good workflow and reporting helps our development teams to better manage their work

• "The most valuable features of this solution are workflow and reporting."
  • "We would like to see integration between Tempo and Jira."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for software development teams to manage their work.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are workflow and reporting.

What needs improvement?

The team construct could be simplified. We use Jira with Tempo Planner, and Portfolio for Jira, and at times it is not always clear. With Portfolio, it's the same as Jira but with Tempo, it clashes. It's not a seamless transaction.

We would like to see integration between Tempo and Jira. For example, if I create a team in Tempo, I would like to be able to use it and re-use it Jira as well.

In Tempo, if you create a team then you are able to link that to a project in Jira. I would like to have that same capability, where I can link to Portfolio for Jira. Specifically, if I create a team in Tempo then I want it available in Portfolio. When I am planning the work for my team, it would be easier to have that capability available.

I have been using Jira for approximately four years.

It's a stable solution and we have not had any issues.

Jira is scalable.

We have more than 13,000 users and we have not experienced any issues with the performance or scalability. We are able to scale pretty well.

I work with Jira on a daily basis, as well as offer support to users and guide them into making the best use of it.

We have a relationship with Atlassian. I have not personally had to contact technical support, but I do know that we have a technical account manager to whom we report any issues.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Jira is that it easy to use but you want to understand what your requirements are. You want to know what you want to use it for, and what you want to achieve by using it.

With Jira, you get what you input, in terms of your data. For me, I get what I need out of it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

BC
Director at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Defines how we track time and permissions; we can create multiple boards

• "We can create multiple boards for the same product backlogs."
  • "Not very intuitive for project admins."

What is our primary use case?

My people use ASS. I can define spins, I can define roadmaps, I can define components, I can do releases, I can define all kinds of issue types, heartbeats, some of those things. I'm using it for both business and software. In software we have Scrum and Kanban onboard, whereas for business we have the service and then there are those other options. We have multiple use cases. I'm the director of the company.

What is most valuable?

I like almost everything about Jira. It defines how we track time and the way we define permissions. We can create multiple boards for the same product backlogs.

What needs improvement?

I think that for users the solution is very intuitive but for project administrators, the way the product is defined is not very intuitive. There are too many ways to do the same thing. The setup of Jira sometimes becomes very, very cumbersome and difficult. It's not very easy for people on the project admins to really understand how to set up the product because of these features. If they were better organized and the documentation improved so that people would actually be able to figure out how to use Jira, that would be helpful. There are not many videos and it can be very challenging for anybody not familiar with the product. There are 50 users on the project I'm working on.

I've been using this solution on and off for the last eight years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

We haven't really used technical support.

The initial setup takes a bit of time because it has so many features that you should be aware of, but of course it provides a lot of out of the box features that you can use right away. You can set up in 10 minutes or 10 days, it's very rich. I was able to do the deployment myself with some extra help.

For up to 10 users, the solution is free but above that there are licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.