NK
IT PMO Project Leader at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly and easy to configure, but needs better dashboard reports

• "It is user-friendly, and you can manage your project according to the methodology you want. It is also easy to configure."
  • "The dashboard reports can be improved. Its dashboard reports are good, but you cannot have complex reports. They are currently very basic. For instance, we can only choose two columns for a dashboard, so it is not friendly enough."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for service management, change management, project management, and tracking the changes.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The dashboard reports can be improved. Its dashboard reports are good, but you cannot have complex reports. They are currently very basic. For instance, we can only choose two columns for a dashboard, so it is not friendly enough.

So far, I've only used the project management parts. We are examining resource planning and sample plugins for the product. From my point of view, resource planning is a little bit hard to link with project management. Sample plugins are another part of the system, and we need to link it with project management in the BigPicture screen, which is a little bit hard. It would be valuable for us if we can do resource planning in BigPicture as well. Currently, it is another plugin, and you can only plan based on the people and not projects, and you cannot link it, as far as I know.

My company has been using it since the beginning of this year. It has been around six months. I have been using it for three weeks.

It is stable, and everyone generally looks satisfied.

We are trying to settle the project management part and widen it to all countries in our company. There will be many users.

We are working with a consulting company. Technically, we are okay because all of us are using it now, and there is no problem. We just need to see more details of some of the modules of Jira.

For its implementation and deployment, they have been working for one year.

What other advice do I have?

Jira is a big platform, and you can use staff management, project management, and other fields that all companies want to use. If you use Jira, you will see the whole IT governance in one system.

With this solution, we can see the full picture in detail, but it can be improved. Resource planning is not easy for our project base.

I would rate Jira a seven out of 10. It will be an eight in the future. I need more time to work on Jira.

HD
Owner at a media company with 51-200 employees
Good sprint-management functionality and offers many configuration options

• "The most valuable feature is working with sprints and having the ability to create sprints."
  • "The sprint-related graphics need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira to manage our development sprints.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is working with sprints and having the ability to create sprints. You can create and move onto the next one.

Also, for example, while I don't use a lot of plugins, when you have a ticket then all of the information you can put into it is centralized.

There are so many opportunities that you can create almost anything.

What needs improvement?

The sprint-related graphics need to be improved.

They are using story points for the sprint breakdown graphics. When you have five large stories with several story points, in the first week of the sprint, nothing gets done. This means that you have a flat line and then, in the end, all of the stories are done at the same time. So, we created all of the graphics but they were useless because it was just a horizontal line and then at the end of the sprint it dropped down to zero points. Basically, it was a square.

In the next release, I would like to see a good graph that takes into count what you put into your stories.

I have worked with Jira, on and off for four or five years. I last used it in April, a few months ago. I have always been working with the latest versions.

It's a stable solution.

Jira is scalable, but you will need knowledge of every team because in every organization you have several teams that work differently.

You need to understand and know how to scale and be prepared.

It doesn't require many people to maintain Jira.

You can configure a lot yourself, depending on how many rights you get in the application.

If you have enough rights, you will have a lot of opportunities to configure it in the way you like.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using Jira because you can do a lot with it. However, I think that as you start working, you should start small. Work with it and try to configure things that you really need.

Involve the whole team in what you are going to use and how you're going to use it.

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NK
Senior Analyst Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good workflow and reporting helps our development teams to better manage their work

• "The most valuable features of this solution are workflow and reporting."
  • "We would like to see integration between Tempo and Jira."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for software development teams to manage their work.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are workflow and reporting.

What needs improvement?

The team construct could be simplified. We use Jira with Tempo Planner, and Portfolio for Jira, and at times it is not always clear. With Portfolio, it's the same as Jira but with Tempo, it clashes. It's not a seamless transaction.

We would like to see integration between Tempo and Jira. For example, if I create a team in Tempo, I would like to be able to use it and re-use it Jira as well.

In Tempo, if you create a team then you are able to link that to a project in Jira. I would like to have that same capability, where I can link to Portfolio for Jira. Specifically, if I create a team in Tempo then I want it available in Portfolio. When I am planning the work for my team, it would be easier to have that capability available.

I have been using Jira for approximately four years.

It's a stable solution and we have not had any issues.

Jira is scalable.

We have more than 13,000 users and we have not experienced any issues with the performance or scalability. We are able to scale pretty well.

I work with Jira on a daily basis, as well as offer support to users and guide them into making the best use of it.

We have a relationship with Atlassian. I have not personally had to contact technical support, but I do know that we have a technical account manager to whom we report any issues.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Jira is that it easy to use but you want to understand what your requirements are. You want to know what you want to use it for, and what you want to achieve by using it.

With Jira, you get what you input, in terms of your data. For me, I get what I need out of it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

BC
Director at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Defines how we track time and permissions; we can create multiple boards

• "We can create multiple boards for the same product backlogs."
  • "Not very intuitive for project admins."

What is our primary use case?

My people use ASS. I can define spins, I can define roadmaps, I can define components, I can do releases, I can define all kinds of issue types, heartbeats, some of those things. I'm using it for both business and software. In software we have Scrum and Kanban onboard, whereas for business we have the service and then there are those other options. We have multiple use cases. I'm the director of the company.

What is most valuable?

I like almost everything about Jira. It defines how we track time and the way we define permissions. We can create multiple boards for the same product backlogs.

What needs improvement?

I think that for users the solution is very intuitive but for project administrators, the way the product is defined is not very intuitive. There are too many ways to do the same thing. The setup of Jira sometimes becomes very, very cumbersome and difficult. It's not very easy for people on the project admins to really understand how to set up the product because of these features. If they were better organized and the documentation improved so that people would actually be able to figure out how to use Jira, that would be helpful. There are not many videos and it can be very challenging for anybody not familiar with the product. There are 50 users on the project I'm working on.

I've been using this solution on and off for the last eight years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

We haven't really used technical support.

The initial setup takes a bit of time because it has so many features that you should be aware of, but of course it provides a lot of out of the box features that you can use right away. You can set up in 10 minutes or 10 days, it's very rich. I was able to do the deployment myself with some extra help.

For up to 10 users, the solution is free but above that there are licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

MP
Middle Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Plenty of plugins, stable, and good support

• "There are a lot of plugins in Jira and we purchase the ones we need."
  • "Jira can improve by making user management better. It is not easy to have visibility of who has the right to do what. Only the administrator has this visibility but there should be the option for other users too."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for project management for the development teams. Additionally, we do backtracking and managing the backlog but it is more of a development team tool.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of plugins in Jira and we purchase the ones we need.

What needs improvement?

I have used Jira for approximately 10 years.

We have never had an issue with the stability of the solution.

We have approximately 400 people using the solution in my organization.

The support from Jira is good.

The configuration can be complicated, there are a lot of options.

We have a technical team that does the implementation and maintenance of the solutuon.

The basic price of Jira is reasonable, but for each plugin, we have to keep paying more. When you add it all up, it can be expensive. The main problem we face is we are forced to purchases plugin licenses for users who are not going to use them. For example, we have Jira licenses for approximately 450 people but if we only want a purchase a plugin for few people it is mandatory to buy the license for the 450 people who have Jira licensees. This is a problem because sometimes we need plugins for the product manager or for people in charge of the report, not everyone. For us, it can be very expensive in the end, they should alter this policy to allow plugins for only a set number of licenses.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement Jira is to have a lot of support. In our company, we started out small with only approximately 25 people and then we expanded quickly. Jira can be complex to manage, and it is better to have some advice or some people to help with the implementation.

I rate Jira an eight out of ten.

CE
IT Planning and Control Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides flexibility to create different flows, responds to our needs in terms of scalability, and has good stability

• "The flexibility to create different flows is most valuable."
  • "It can have a more high-level view of portfolios. It has quite detailed views, but I would like a high-level view of portfolios. We want to integrate Jira with Microsoft Active Directory, and I don't know how easy or hard it is going to be. I don't know if Jira supports this. We are starting that integration in the last quarter of this year. I hope to find all the required tools for this integration."

What is our primary use case?

We are basically using it to register all the requirements and issues so that we can track them and control the flow and different states. We also use it for reporting and configuring dashboards for portfolio management.

It is a SaaS solution, and we are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility to create different flows is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

It can have a more high-level view of portfolios. It has quite detailed views, but I would like a high-level view of portfolios.

I have been using this solution for two years.

Its stability is very good. I have no complaints.

It is scalable because it is a SaaS solution. It is the best choice for us because it responds to our needs all the time.

We have around 100 people in our organization who use this solution. They are developers, QAs, and managers.

Their support was very good for some of our questions. We didn't have too many issues.

We also have a partner who helps us with all the contracts, payments, and other things. If there is an issue, we contact them, and they provide support.

It was easy because the person who helped with portfolio management had previous experience with Jira. So, it was easy for us. It took about three weeks.

What other advice do I have?

The most important thing is to precisely decide your flows and different stages and cycles. If all these are very clear, you won't have a problem setting up Jira.

I would rate Jira a nine out of ten.

Other
RS
Cloud Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Effective management tracking, simple install, and many plugins available

• "I have found the tracking, project and task management most valuable in this solution."
  • "They could improve the solution by having a multiple project dashboard to be able to manage many projects KPI's at once, this would really be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to track all projects and management activity.

How has it helped my organization?

There are a lot of plugin integrations available right now that are continuously being updated. We have recently worked on ways we can integrate with the DevOps.

What is most valuable?

I have found the tracking, project and task management most valuable in this solution.

What needs improvement?

They could improve the solution by having a multiple project dashboard to be able to manage many projects KPI's at once, this would really be helpful.

In the next release, I would like to see task creation management simplified and overall usage streamlined for new users.

I have been using Jira for four years.

We are extensively using this solution for all of our projects across the entire enterprise. It has shown that it is able to be scaled effectively.

I have never had any problems with this solution to need to use the technical support.

The installation was not complex, I did not find any difficulites.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others wanting to purchase the solution that they can improve their business UX. This solution has been established in the market and is commonly used in many project management sectors because it can be easily used once you have experience. If you are new to this solution it could be confusing to some people because there is not a proper project flow. For example, Once you create a ticket or any task, you are not able to see what you just created in the notification area. Currently, you receive a pop-up and it will go off after some time, if you do not click the pop-up when it comes up you will have to refresh, go back to the project, and then find out the task from there. This could be simplified in the future.

They provide a product that is very good but in terms of a presentation, they have room to improve.

I rate Jira a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
GM
Quality manager at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Lets you track service requests with high visibility, but other tools give you the same thing for less

• "Jira is flexible and accessible for the end-user. It lets users track their requests. The look and feel are good for our purposes."
  • "Jira is raising their prices for the license, which is like a trap because many other providers offer services like Jira but for much cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

I'm head of the IT service desk, and we're using it to track IT tickets from the users. If there is an incident or someone requests information or services, we handle all these requests through Jira Service Desk.

What is most valuable?

Jira is flexible and accessible for the end-user. It lets users track their requests. The look and feel are good for our purposes. I'm the IT service manager, so I'm like the director. A cleaner interface helps my team stay on top of the service requests. We used to just take requests via email, and we had some kind of old IT tool, but it wasn't as effective as Jira. And because we are connected to Power BI, we have better visibility. You have a range of metrics so you get some good insight when you integrate Jira to Power BI.

What needs improvement?

My colleagues started dealing with Jira in 2019, and they're still using it. And my team implemented the Jira Service Desk in 2020 because the rest of the company was using Jira.

Stable. What about scalability? Is it scalable?

We get outstanding technical support through our partner Valiantys, which is a French Jira distributor certified by Atlassian to resale Jira.

It's not a complex implementation, but it's not easy either. I think it's somewhere in the middle. It's an average software implementation.

Jira is raising their prices for the license, which is like a trap because many other providers offer services like Jira but for much cheaper. And now they are making us move to the cloud. They gave us a deadline to migrate from the on-premise Jira Service Desk to the cloud. It's been two years since we started using it, so I think we will get a discount.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Jira Service Desk seven out of 10

Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.