MP
Middle Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Plenty of plugins, stable, and good support

• "There are a lot of plugins in Jira and we purchase the ones we need."
  • "Jira can improve by making user management better. It is not easy to have visibility of who has the right to do what. Only the administrator has this visibility but there should be the option for other users too."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for project management for the development teams. Additionally, we do backtracking and managing the backlog but it is more of a development team tool.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of plugins in Jira and we purchase the ones we need.

What needs improvement?

I have used Jira for approximately 10 years.

We have never had an issue with the stability of the solution.

We have approximately 400 people using the solution in my organization.

The support from Jira is good.

The configuration can be complicated, there are a lot of options.

We have a technical team that does the implementation and maintenance of the solutuon.

The basic price of Jira is reasonable, but for each plugin, we have to keep paying more. When you add it all up, it can be expensive. The main problem we face is we are forced to purchases plugin licenses for users who are not going to use them. For example, we have Jira licenses for approximately 450 people but if we only want a purchase a plugin for few people it is mandatory to buy the license for the 450 people who have Jira licensees. This is a problem because sometimes we need plugins for the product manager or for people in charge of the report, not everyone. For us, it can be very expensive in the end, they should alter this policy to allow plugins for only a set number of licenses.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement Jira is to have a lot of support. In our company, we started out small with only approximately 25 people and then we expanded quickly. Jira can be complex to manage, and it is better to have some advice or some people to help with the implementation.

I rate Jira an eight out of ten.

CE
IT Planning and Control Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides flexibility to create different flows, responds to our needs in terms of scalability, and has good stability

• "The flexibility to create different flows is most valuable."
  • "It can have a more high-level view of portfolios. It has quite detailed views, but I would like a high-level view of portfolios. We want to integrate Jira with Microsoft Active Directory, and I don't know how easy or hard it is going to be. I don't know if Jira supports this. We are starting that integration in the last quarter of this year. I hope to find all the required tools for this integration."

What is our primary use case?

We are basically using it to register all the requirements and issues so that we can track them and control the flow and different states. We also use it for reporting and configuring dashboards for portfolio management.

It is a SaaS solution, and we are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility to create different flows is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

It can have a more high-level view of portfolios. It has quite detailed views, but I would like a high-level view of portfolios.

I have been using this solution for two years.

Its stability is very good. I have no complaints.

It is scalable because it is a SaaS solution. It is the best choice for us because it responds to our needs all the time.

We have around 100 people in our organization who use this solution. They are developers, QAs, and managers.

Their support was very good for some of our questions. We didn't have too many issues.

We also have a partner who helps us with all the contracts, payments, and other things. If there is an issue, we contact them, and they provide support.

It was easy because the person who helped with portfolio management had previous experience with Jira. So, it was easy for us. It took about three weeks.

What other advice do I have?

The most important thing is to precisely decide your flows and different stages and cycles. If all these are very clear, you won't have a problem setting up Jira.

I would rate Jira a nine out of ten.

Other
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RS
Cloud Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Effective management tracking, simple install, and many plugins available

• "I have found the tracking, project and task management most valuable in this solution."
  • "They could improve the solution by having a multiple project dashboard to be able to manage many projects KPI's at once, this would really be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to track all projects and management activity.

How has it helped my organization?

There are a lot of plugin integrations available right now that are continuously being updated. We have recently worked on ways we can integrate with the DevOps.

What is most valuable?

I have found the tracking, project and task management most valuable in this solution.

What needs improvement?

They could improve the solution by having a multiple project dashboard to be able to manage many projects KPI's at once, this would really be helpful.

In the next release, I would like to see task creation management simplified and overall usage streamlined for new users.

I have been using Jira for four years.

We are extensively using this solution for all of our projects across the entire enterprise. It has shown that it is able to be scaled effectively.

I have never had any problems with this solution to need to use the technical support.

The installation was not complex, I did not find any difficulites.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others wanting to purchase the solution that they can improve their business UX. This solution has been established in the market and is commonly used in many project management sectors because it can be easily used once you have experience. If you are new to this solution it could be confusing to some people because there is not a proper project flow. For example, Once you create a ticket or any task, you are not able to see what you just created in the notification area. Currently, you receive a pop-up and it will go off after some time, if you do not click the pop-up when it comes up you will have to refresh, go back to the project, and then find out the task from there. This could be simplified in the future.

They provide a product that is very good but in terms of a presentation, they have room to improve.

I rate Jira a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
GM
Quality manager at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Lets you track service requests with high visibility, but other tools give you the same thing for less

• "Jira is flexible and accessible for the end-user. It lets users track their requests. The look and feel are good for our purposes."
  • "Jira is raising their prices for the license, which is like a trap because many other providers offer services like Jira but for much cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

I'm head of the IT service desk, and we're using it to track IT tickets from the users. If there is an incident or someone requests information or services, we handle all these requests through Jira Service Desk.

What is most valuable?

Jira is flexible and accessible for the end-user. It lets users track their requests. The look and feel are good for our purposes. I'm the IT service manager, so I'm like the director. A cleaner interface helps my team stay on top of the service requests. We used to just take requests via email, and we had some kind of old IT tool, but it wasn't as effective as Jira. And because we are connected to Power BI, we have better visibility. You have a range of metrics so you get some good insight when you integrate Jira to Power BI.

What needs improvement?

My colleagues started dealing with Jira in 2019, and they're still using it. And my team implemented the Jira Service Desk in 2020 because the rest of the company was using Jira.

Stable. What about scalability? Is it scalable?

We get outstanding technical support through our partner Valiantys, which is a French Jira distributor certified by Atlassian to resale Jira.

It's not a complex implementation, but it's not easy either. I think it's somewhere in the middle. It's an average software implementation.

Jira is raising their prices for the license, which is like a trap because many other providers offer services like Jira but for much cheaper. And now they are making us move to the cloud. They gave us a deadline to migrate from the on-premise Jira Service Desk to the cloud. It's been two years since we started using it, so I think we will get a discount.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Jira Service Desk seven out of 10

Barış Külah
Software Development Manager at System Optima
Allows us to do bulk edits, integrates well with Bitbucket, and is very stable

• "We love the bulk edit feature. Jira also integrates well with Bitbucket."
  • "Workflows can be improved. We don't use workflows because we can't handle that much complexity. Its interface could be more intuitive for workflows."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for our in-house projects. We use Jira Cloud and Bitbucket. We are not actively using Confluence.

How has it helped my organization?

We are a small company. We can manage our project tasks with other tools, but I prefer to use Jira on the cloud because people forget what they have done, and we need to see who did which task and when.

What is most valuable?

We love the bulk edit feature. Jira also integrates well with Bitbucket

What needs improvement?

Workflows can be improved. We don't use workflows because we can't handle that much complexity. Its interface could be more intuitive for workflows.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is very stable. I have been using this solution for three years, and I never had to contact their support.

It is scalable. We have six people who use Jira at the moment, and they don't have any issues related to slow response. Everything is fine for now.

I never had to contact their support.

In this company, I have only used Jira. In earlier companies, I have used other tools such as Microsoft Project, Redmine, and Service Bus.

It is easy to set up. We can use project templates. We can use classic projects templates or create new templates. Classic is enough for us. Our management doesn't want reports from us. We use templates for our daily progress.

Its price is good and similar to other products. It is about five or six dollars per user.

What other advice do I have?

I got it set up when I joined this company, and now I manage users here. It has integration with Bitbucket. It is fine for us.

I would rate Jira a nine out of 10.

DL
Global Senior Manager at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Flexible, easy to use, and simple to learn

• "It's flexible and it can provide a lot of different options, such as dashboards, that you can create and manage."
  • "Sometimes the solution doesn't communicate well with other platforms. It's quite difficult to integrate things and make the data flow from A to B, to Jira, and then back to other areas."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for project management.

What is most valuable?

The product is quite easy to use and simple to navigate.

The solution isn't too difficult to learn.

It's flexible and it can provide a lot of different options, such as dashboards, that you can create and manage. You can really tailor-make your own dashboard depending on your needs.

It's quick and very stable.

I don't see many issues while I'm using it.

You can basically communicate with all kinds of different teams that are using Jira and you can do that under the product, as a single platform.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the solution doesn't communicate well with other platforms. It's quite difficult to integrate things and make the data flow from A to B, to Jira, and then back to other areas.

Nowadays, you see a lot of product management tools, like monday.com and they are very user-friendly. They offer features that allow for cosmetic changes, and you can actually change the color and the form to your own liking. ira is lacking some of that flexibility. It's not critical, however, for the wider user base, many would like to see that.

I've been using the solution for three years. It's been a while.

Overall, the performance of the tool is quite reliable with few bugs or glitches, and it runs very fast in the browser It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can handle a lot of tickets. I've seen it handle more than 10,000 with no problem. It's almost unlimited in terms of scalability.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'm using the latest version of the solution right now. I cannot speak to the exact version number we are on currently.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very happy with its capabilities.

I would recommend the solution, as it is quite powerful.

Anthony Martin
Senior IT Project Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Very stable with valuable Kanban boards, but needs better reporting capabilities for customized reports

• "Kanban boards are most valuable"
  • "The reporting capabilities, specifically customized reports, should be improved. The out-of-box reports don't meet our needs. We are big into customizing our reports, and being able to do ad hoc reporting would be good."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for bug tracking and new feature development. We have its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Kanban boards has allowed us to become a flow-based organization versus a sprint-based organization.

What is most valuable?

Kanban boards are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The reporting capabilities, specifically customized reports, should be improved. The out-of-box reports don't meet our needs. We are big into customizing our reports, and being able to do ad hoc reporting would be good.

I have been using Jira for about three and a half years.

It has been very stable.

I believe it has been scaling. I don't really work with that group, and I am not sure. We've got at least a thousand people on it, and to my knowledge, it has been fine at least for our needs. It is being used extensively in our company. We don't have any plans to increase its usage.

I have not had any interface with their technical support.

I have used Microsoft Team Foundation Server in the past. I switched to Jira because of the job change. Microsoft Team Foundation Server had a number of features that I don't see in Jira. It had good visual charting.

I wasn't a part of that group.

What other advice do I have?

There are some good and valuable tool plugins that make it a much better tool. I've got plugins that cover most of the features that were lacking. There are some specific plugins that are targeted for specific kinds of use cases.

I would rate Jira a seven out of ten. It all comes down to reporting. It should have better and more robust reporting.

José ANgel Aguirre Abad
Manager at M2C
Stable, competitive price, and easy to deploy and use

• "It is easy to deploy in the cloud and other environments. It is also easy to view the reports of the sprint review or the sprint plan and the relation between the backlog and the repositories."
  • "I am not sure if Jira can be integrated with our ERP. We have our ERP for the cost estimates or measurements. It would be nice if we can check or view a plan with the real cost. Currently, we have to do a double check of costs. It would be better to be able to integrate it with Jira."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for project management and agile scrum projects. I am a manager, and I work with backlog tools and sprint plans. I only use Jira for backlogs, sprint reviews, and data reports. Our project manager is the person who is really working with Jira along with the team. We also have Confluence and Bitbucket. We use CloudBees and DevOps for the deployment of the environment.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to deploy in the cloud and other environments. It is also easy to view the reports of the sprint review or the sprint plan and the relation between the backlog and the repositories.

What needs improvement?

I am not sure if Jira can be integrated with our ERP. We have our ERP for the cost estimates or measurements. It would be nice if we can check or view a plan with the real cost. Currently, we have to do a double check of costs. It would be better to be able to integrate it with Jira.

I have been using Jira for almost one year.

I don't work too much with Jira. I use it only to see the reports, and I don't feel that there are many bugs. It is stable.

It is not too expensive. It is just comparative to other tools like Microsoft Teams.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We are interested in migrating to Jira and using it as our internal tool for agile projects and for controlling the IT software development cycle for projects like consulting or API. It will be more used for agile projects. It is a good tool. We also have the latest version of Microsoft Teams, but it is limited. It is better to use Jira.

I would rate Jira a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.