Jira Overview

Jira is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Application Lifecycle Management Suites. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure DevOps: Jira vs Microsoft Azure DevOps

What is Jira?

JIRA has multiple deployment options to provide the flexibility your organization needs.

Cloud is a fully hosted service for customers who want to iterate quickly and have us take care of managing the infrastructure.

For customers who need to run our applications behind their firewall, we have Server and Data Center options. Server delivers greater capacity for a larger user base and gives you more control, allowing you to remain compliant with your enterprise IT, security, IP and privacy policies. For our largest customers, Data Center provides all the capability of our Server option, along with high availability, instant scalability and performance at scale.

Atlassian also offers premium support and strategic services for enterprise customers. Technical Account Managers are cross-functional technical advisors providing proactive planning and strategic guidance across your organization. Premier Support goes above and beyond our standard offerings to give you account-wide support from a team of senior support engineers.

Jira is also known as Jira Software.

Jira Buyer's Guide

Download the Jira Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Jira Customers

Square, Nasa, eBay, Cisco, SalesForce, Adobe, BNP Paribas, BMW and LinkedIn, Pfizer, Citi.

Jira Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Jira pricing:
  • "I am not sure if the client is using a commercial version. I think it is on a per-user basis, and it is around 15 Canadian dollars for a user, but I'm not sure. It also has a free version."
  • "As a company, we get a subsidized price, and it's lower than what's quoted on their website."

AO
Head of Software Solutions at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Flexible and very easy to set up but can get quite complex

What is our primary use case?

We have a service desk for customers. We have the whole flow from customer feedback throughout, committing with a relation in the code in Bitbucket. We have the tracking and tracing, including all tracking of the issues all the way from the customer throughout the JIRA prioritization in backlogs and sprint planning and connecting those through the actual code commit in BItBucket. It's all done through JIRA to the service desk issue and back again to the customer. The entire ecosystem is quite connected.

• "It's really smart how they connected these third-party vendors into their own marketplace. You can create and add apps. Anybody can do it."
  • "Pretty much 70% - 80% of the Next-Gen Projects features are still to be developed."

What other advice do I have?

I would guess we are using the latest version of the solution as we're using the cloud solution. I'm guessing that it's continuously updated automatically. I'd advise others to consider the solution. However, It depends on what they're trying to achieve. There are a lot of easier project management tools like Monday.com, for instance. It's a lot easier to get up and running. If your vision is to become a larger software development company, monday.com might be something that is usable for project managers. However, it wouldn't be a good tool, at least how I've seen it, to connect everything…
PO
Technical Lead at a mining and metals company with 51-200 employees
An all-encompassing, project management solution

What is our primary use case?

Virtually every day we have our daily scrum. Our team gathers around the board, which has all the columns showing where the tasks are standing: requested, planning, ready-coding, review, etc. Together, we view one task after the other and update the statuses. It's really a focal point of the team to know where the work stands, and what's the progress of the work since the last time we checked. Within my company, there are roughly 25 employees using this solution. We have a scrum master, who's the most knowledgeable person on the tool. usually, they're the ones organizing the tasks, creating… more »

• "With the help of Jira, tasks are less likely to remain stagnant for a long time. We always see them somewhere on the board."
  • "There needs to be easier integration with third-parties — personally, this is the biggest issue for me."

What other advice do I have?

Have a training session before you begin using it. That tool is good for teamwork, but it doesn't replace a face-to-face discussion. Among yourselves and your teams, establish some conventions as to how you will describe your tasks — what criteria will be acceptable? Include a section for requirements, have a section dedicated to discovering your setup because the tool has its limits. It helps you organize your work, but it doesn't replace the self-discipline of the developers to stick to some team conventions — that's also really helpful to get the full benefits of that tool. One of the main…
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
501,499 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Global Client Support Operations Manager at kyriba
Good UI, easy to trace tickets, and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We use it to trace our business needs development. We have some nice dashboards out there where we can track needs for clients or track internal projects.

• "This is our way of communicating with different teams. We are a global company. I am based in San Diego, for example. A lot of the BAs are based in Paris. The development team is based in Minsk. We absolutely need to be in constant communication and on the same page."
  • "Jira has recently updated their UI, but more can be done to make it even better."

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise other companies to go for it and try using it. Jira is one of the biggest players in the market. It's a scalable solution and very user-friendly. The onboarding is quite simple. I have never been trained and I've been using it for the four past years. Whenever there is a new release on Jira, we get a guide, which is helpful, and instructions as we use the latest version that comes in the form of pop-ups on your screen. If you want, you can just disregard it, but once you discover them, you can just hover over with your mouse and you can see the new features. If an organization is…
Scaled Agile Consultant at Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
Great story maps, an excellent overview of team performance, and very scalable

What is our primary use case?

I have been the product manager for several years. I use it day in and day out to manage my team. I manage two teams at the moment and they are pretty large teams. Each has a minimum of about 12 people. We use not just agile, we use a scale model framework. All the work is managed through two pieces of software we use. One is called Jira Align. For the portfolio level software, what Jira bought recently, the previous name for the software was AgileCraft. All of the portfolios and features come loaded in Jira Align. From there, they will be composed into stories in Jira. That process is done… more »

• "The user story map is excellent. The features can be composed into stories and they can be allocated to each of the sprints in a program increment. It allows you to see all that in the user story map, and you have various dashboards to see the stories in various views. You can see them as a backlog view, for example, or you can see as an actual sprint view."
  • "Whenever you edit a story, whatever you have changed takes a bit of time to save."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution. It's a great piece of software. If you really want to do agile software project management Jira is definitely should be a top choice for you. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
JD
IT Project Manager at Gravity Diagnostics
Designed for project management, meets all IT software development needs, and integrates with Power BI

What is our primary use case?

We used it in my previous organization for project management, product management, and release management. In my current organization, where I started working a week ago, we are using Jira strictly for help-desk tickets. We are using DevOps for our release management. So, we've got DevOps, Jira, and some homegrown stuff, and I'm trying to figure out what's going to work best for this new organization. I've used Jira and Confluence previously, and this is my first time using the help-desk ticketing system. It is cool and not a whole lot different than SolarWinds or Zendesk, except the… more »

• "The roadmap feature and the ability to integrate with Power BI are probably the most valuable features in it. It is a great solution. I absolutely love it. It is a tool that was designed for project management, and it has been awesome to work with it so far. I also love Confluence."
  • "They can maybe dumb down the directions for building the automation a little bit because to be able to build out the automation, I had to play around with it and learn what all the fields meant and what they were referencing. I don't have an IT background originally. My background is in biology, and I got into project management by chance. I am good at it, but I haven't really worked with coding languages. In terms of writing automation, it is easier for devs because they intuitively know what they're being asked, but as a PM who originally didn't have IT experience, it was a little bit daunting at first. It could also have an extra hierarchy to be able to allow tasks under stories. It could be the way it is set up at our organization, but currently, under stories, you can have sub-tasks, but you can't create a task. Being able to customize your hierarchy a little bit more would be beneficial because sometimes, the devs would say, "Well, here's a story, and now we need sub-tasks," but as we were building out the sub-tasks, sometimes we had to go a step lower to dig in a little bit more, and we couldn't do that."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise going with the entire Atlassian suite. Don't just use one aspect of Jira, unless you have a very specific need for using bits and pieces. Jira is better when Confluence and everything can be integrated, and you have source code management and all of that from the same software or platform. I would rate Jira a ten out of ten. I love Jira. It has the ability to just do everything, and it is a one-stop shop for all of your IT software development needs.
Agile Software Architect at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Stable with good documentation and needs very little maintenance

What is our primary use case?

I am the software developer manager and I use Jira to manage team performance. We're also starting to use Jira for our drives. I used Jira before, for creating user stories from boards, to discuss issues, and many other tasks. Today we use Jira, Confluence, and BitBucket in our work. We practice scrum in our organization.

• "It's a very complete product overall."
  • "It would be ideal if Jira had future functionalities to integrate more easily with various aspects of code reviews."

What other advice do I have?

While I'm new to the company, it's my understanding that it is a partner of Atlassian. We use the latest version of the solution, as we use the cloud, which updates automatically. Our company has both Azure DevOps and Jira. I use Jira, and Azure DevOps is used for other purposes. Most projects, all projects that are using Azure DevOps are legacy projects. The new projects and new solutions are using Jira. On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate Jira at a ten. It's a very good product. Both tools, Azure DevOps and Jira are at the same level. In terms of preference, I typically choose Azure DevOps…
Senior Software Engineer at Datta Tech Consulting
MSP
Allows us to manage all defects and requirements from one point and has good integration with third-party software

What is our primary use case?

It is mostly used for communication, managing requirements, managing defects, and managing stories. We don't communicate much through Outlook. The majority of the work-related issues are assigned to us, or we assign them to developers through this solution. I've been using this solution for managing requirements and defects. I have also been using it for logging user stories and general communication.

• "The most valuable feature is the feature of assigning. Whenever I have an issue, Jira doesn't stop at just letting me describe the issue. I can also assign the issue to a developer, and the developer gets notified about it. After he is able to work on it, he can update the status and revert back to me through the same platform. It really avoids a lot of communication over email and phone. This the feature that I really like about Jira. I always use Jira with my team."
  • "Its UI can be improved a little bit. I know this a business tool and not a commercial tool, but it could be a little bit more interactive like the HP ALM/Quality Center, which provides you the results of graphs and gives you a lot of visual representations. I feel Jira lacks a little bit in this aspect."

What other advice do I have?

It is essential to track efforts right from the beginning of the project i.e the from the day of planning and incubation to delivery and deployment.
SM
Test Manager /Architect @ Testing Practice at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A user-friendly solution, but it'll help if they had their own test execution feature

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for the overall issue management in development projects. We use it to maintain a high level during each sprint, which is a requirement. We also use Jira for issue management during testing. We create a test plan and manage it all with Jira.

• "Jira is very user friendly, easy to install, and easy to access."
  • "Although it covers the overall requirements and measurements, it'll help if they had their own test execution feature."

What other advice do I have?

To a certain extent, maybe 70% to 80%, Jira will meet your project development budget. It has integrations with other platforms, so if you want to put it in your DevOps continuous integration flow, it can be done. If you're engaging in software development, there should be a single repository where you store everything. Then you can start managing it with Jira based on the business requirements and the user stories. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Jira a seven.
See 53 more Jira Reviews