JIRA Service Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

JIRA Service Management is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Help Desk Software. It is most often compared to ServiceNow: JIRA Service Management vs ServiceNow

What is JIRA Service Management?

Jira Service Management empowers teams with everything they need to get started fast. Check out capabilities for ITSM practices like request, incident, problem, change, and configuration management.

JIRA Service Management is also known as JIRA Service Desk.

JIRA Service Management Buyer's Guide

Download the JIRA Service Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

JIRA Service Management Customers

mgm technology partners, Telestream, Build.com, Zend Technologies, OfficeDrop, PGS Software, American Diabetes Association, NEPTUNE Canada

JIRA Service Management Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about JIRA Service Management pricing:
  • "Right now, there are only two of us who are both agents on the help desk and developers. We might be on the free version because we're less than three agents or users. I'm looking at Zephyr tests, which have a $10 a month flat rate, so right now, it is $10 a month. There are lots of add-ons. They do a free version, a standard version, and a premium version. In the last company, we started on $50 a month. By the time I left, we were paying $4,500 a month. That was mainly because we had 100 users on Confluence. I bought an add-on for Jira software for which we had 10 users, and that was $5 per user per month. It was costing me $500 a month, whereas it should only be $50 a month. I don't know if licensing fee has changed. I'd like our whole company to use it, but the big problem is the licensing because the Confluence side is what is really useful, but if I add 30 users to Confluence and then buy an extension for Jira software, I've got to pay for 30 licenses, even though I've only got two users in Jira software. It is the one big disadvantage of cloud software. You always have to pay for the number of seats regardless of which product you are on. This will probably severely limit how many people would use it because I'm not going to start paying $10 per user per month for a Jira software add-on when there are only two people using it."
  • "I am using the free version, but my clients are paying for it. When they start, they evaluate it for 30 days, and after seeing the value, they move to its paid version."
  • "We may upgrade the license that we have. The license that we currently have is good for 500 agents, and it's not full yet."
  • "It's not really expensive, especially when you compare to ServiceNow or other solutions, and it's not expensive to maintain."

JIRA Service Management Reviews

MA
Director of ERP Systems at Clesen Wholesale
Customizable, stable, and integrates well

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for internal issues related to our ERP system. We are tracking these issues and, more importantly, linking them to development tasks. So, if we've written an extension and there is a bug, and somebody opens a help desk case with it, we can link it directly to a bug ticket in Jira. We then know when this bug is fixed. We are cloud-based, so we are always on the latest version.

• "The links between the help desk and Jira issues and between Confluence and Jira issues are most valuable. I can write requirements in Confluence and link them to user stories in Jira and test cases. I can see my test coverage and all that kind of stuff. The integration between these three is very useful. It is pretty customizable, and it integrates well. There are a lot of add-ins and a lot of connectors to third-party products. In my last company, we used Test Royal for managing all the tests, and it integrated perfectly with that. For any issue or bug, we could see what tests have been run and the complete history of the tests."
  • "The way it handles subtasks can be improved. We would really like the ability to have different types of subtasks. If we have a user story for a feature, we would like to have a subtask for documentation, a subtask for requirements, a subtask for development, and a subtask for testing. Right now, we just make four subtasks, but there is no way to specify their type, so we have to add a custom field to specify what type of work is this. It just means you've got to look at more data. For logging time or time tracking, we would like to have something using which we can define the work type we're doing. We would like to log whether we're working on a bug, a new development, scope change, or rework. We've got a user story for which we do the dev, and then we have to do more dev. It is the same story, but some of it could have been a scope change, and some of it could be a rework because we either screwed up the first time or missed something obvious. Currently, we have to have a custom field and track that separately. It would be nice to have some kind of work type for logging time."

What other advice do I have?

It is free to try, so make sure you try it. The single biggest thing to look at is the licensing cost, especially if you plan to use something like Confluence, which is something you would probably want to roll out throughout the company because it is just a Wiki. If I've got two software developers and I put an add-on, having to pay 100 licenses for that is just crazy. I would rate Jira Service Desk an eight out of ten.
Satyadeo Thakur
Lead Consultant at Enquero Inc
Easy to set up and fair pricing, but should provide packages solutions

What is our primary use case?

We're a service provider. We implement the solution for our clients. Typically clients use Jira more around incident reporting management and resolution of queries, or SLA management. Then, sometimes, they need a range of compliance SLS's such as knowledge management.

• "It's easy to set up the solution."
  • "JSD has some analytics, but it's pretty much basic and simple dashboards. There's no mobile application for JSD. It really would benefit from better implementation with other vendors. We're heavily reliant on some external marketplace applications."

What other advice do I have?

While we largely deal with cloud deployments, we did recently have a client that requested an on-premises deployment. The types of clients we have are small or medium-sized enterprises typically. On a cost-basis, the product offering is very good. Jira is very customer-centric. They really try to help users make the most out of their solution as well as other products. The plugins are all designed to make Jira even easier to use, even more user friendly, and serve to bridge the gap of features Jira might lack. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. We hear a lot of feedback from clients, and…
Learn what your peers think about JIRA Service Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Bary Reyes
Technical Project Lead, Agile Coach, IT Educator at Asia Pacific College
Powerful, easily scalable, and has good customizations and functionalities

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for IT service management and business process management. We are using it for the help desk to handle all internal requests. We have its latest version.

• "Customizations are most valuable. The customization of workflows is the main power of the Atlassian tools in general."
  • "Its UI is a bit overwhelming for new users. That has been the problem with Jira for a long time. If they could put some fields that we could use to simplify the UI, it would be good."

What other advice do I have?

I am an evangelist of Atlassian tools, so I usually engage with my clients in using them. Everybody is into digital transformation, and we have been engaging with clients, and we're promoting Atlassian for their digital transformation. One thing that I always tell my clients is that they should have a single source of tools. Atlassian is always at the top of my list with Jira, Service Desk, and Confluence. These are my top three products of Atlassian that I usually give them. Based on my experience, you should go for the full Atlassian ecosystem if you are looking for IT service management and…
Imed Inoubli
Information Technology Service Desk Manager at MAF Retail
Has easy to understand workflows and good speed

• "The SLA, speed, the comments from agents' side, and the dashboard for agents are the most valuable features."
  • "From the customer side, it's not friendly used compared to other competitors, like ServiceNow or BMC. It's also not fully ITSM management if you compare it with ServiceNow or BMC. They have a full model of ITSM. In BMC they have TrueSight, they have Discovery, which helps IT to discover IT equipment with a serial number, with the specs, capacity of the server."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten. I would like for them to have automation to change the portal, it's still limited. It's not user-friendly compared with other vendors. I recommend would, of course, recommend Jira. It depends on the users. When we started, it was good for us but now that the company is growing and we have a lot of applications, a lot of servers, a lot of complexity, and a lot of links between application services, it's not perfect for us. Our infrastructure has also become huge. We have cloud, hybrid, and on-prem. Sometimes we face an issue, but we spend hours…
Ahmed  Abdelwahab
Corporate Performance Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
A scalable solution for workflow implementation and management

What is our primary use case?

We implemented workflows for incident management, interaction management, and problem management.

• "The most valuable features are the management tools."
  • "If we can have an easier way to deploy this solution without the help of a consultant and a more reliable way of deploying procedures, it would be quite helpful."

What other advice do I have?

Anyone who is considering Jira Software, I would recommend they go with Jira Service Desk. I would rate Jira Service Desk an eight out of ten.
AM
IT Director at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The best option on the market that is easy to set up and offers good service management

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mainly used for testing the product. It's for managing the team and the BI team among others.

• "The initial setup is easy and straightforward."
  • "The solution needs to be integrated better with Office X5."

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been happy with the product so far. I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.
Vanessa Hodges
Platform Scrum Master at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Great reporting and customized forms options; lacks capability to see all Jira tickets

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for customer service and customer requests. We also use it to set SLAs and as a general help desk. We are customers of Jira.

• "Great to be able to create customized forms."
  • "When you raise a ticket with Jira, there's no ability to see your other JIRA tickets."

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest looking into your current layout and requirements, evaluating them and then figuring out the best option in terms of how you want things categorized and broken down from both a customer perspective and a backend perspective before you try to build it out. Despite the few downfalls, its cost is still very good compared to other holistic systems. A big reason for getting the switch approved was that the cost was substantially lower than other solutions. I can't speak for the cloud experience, I'm sure it's a little easier than running on-prem, which is very administrator heavy…
PR
Project & Delivery Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
An easy to configure and use solution for supporting and servicing requests

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for support. I open, support, and service a request. There is also some follow up with the activities.

• "Some of the most valuable features are simplicity, ease of configuration, and ease of customization."
  • "At times you will need add-ons or additional software, so built-in features would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

Because it is simple, you can start small and develop. You can customize more and more depending on your requirements. It's quite simple to configure. I would say start and improve. Often you have to think about everything because it will be painful later on if you need to add customization that comes with JIRA Service Desk. This is the reason that you can start in one month. It's a simpler approach. It's a good product. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
See 5 more JIRA Service Management Reviews