Attila Salanki
Consultant at Lupus
Handle ticket logging for clients who need product help

• "One of the best things about JIRA is that it searches for answers while questions are being typed so some tickets do not need to be submitted."
  • "The product does not have the capability to sort queued tickets by product. This would be useful in making workflows more efficient."

What is our primary use case?

We are using JIRA for accessing our help desk when other companies have problems with programs and to let them login when somebody needs to create a new ticket.

What is most valuable?

I think that one of the most valuable features is when I am typing in my question for a ticket JIRA does a search for the answer at the same time. If it finds my answer, then I do not have to raise the ticket because I already found the answer in the knowledge base. This is good in saving time for customer service workers.

What needs improvement?

For us, one of the weaknesses of Service Desk is that we can not check every issue in the queue raised for one product. If we have more than one customer using a product that has raised a ticket, we can not see the complete list of issues for the one product from all sources. It is not as easy or efficient to handle tickets without that capability.

For this reason, we have an add-on administrative tool that we had to purchase separately for use with JIRA to help make the workflow more efficient. This could be added to the base product for all users.

We have not been using the JIRA Service Desk for too long. We started doing our testing which lasted for just a few weeks and then we sent out a notification to our clients to use it. It has been in use at the company for maybe less than one month.

We have not had the product in use long enough to scale the usage upward from the volume of our current client base. I do not think it would be a problem.

I think the initial setup for the product is easy. It is not too complex or time-consuming to set up.

We are very satisfied with the pricing of the product. Because we are an associate partner it is free for us.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate JIRA Service Deskaybe as maybe and eight or nine-out-of-ten. For our use case, and putting aside the need for the plugin, it is a nine.

Private Cloud
LK
Vice President Digital Strategy & Executive Delivery at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easily integrates with other tools; good for small to medium size companies

• "Easily integrates with other tools."
  • "Integration could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I'm the vice president of digital strategy and executive delivery.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy, even if you want to dock on something, it's easy to add the documentation and it easily integrates with other tools. I think that's the best part of it.

What needs improvement?

I think there are other IT ticketing tools that are better in terms of routing or work flows than Jira Service Desk. If you work at an enterprise size company, it might be preferable to use ServiceNow than Jira Service Desk which is better for smaller companies.

I'd like to see a well integrated solution. For example, if I wanted to do some testing, I don't want to have to buy another testing tool and integrate it with Jira. If Jira had a place for it to connect the requirements to the testing, that would be amazing.

I've used the solution for a long time but it was only implemented a few months ago at the company where I now work.

The stability is good.

The scalability of the solution is good. We have around 100 people using it, generally the business analysts or the program managers. Within that number, we have around 10 admins.

I haven't really needed to use customer server, using the solution has been very easy so we haven't had much contact. They've been fine when we've used them.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about JIRA Service Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AA
Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its ticketing system and knowledge base are both valuable features

• "Two features I like about Jira are its ticketing system and its compatibility with Confluence. Also, the Knowledge Base is one of the more valuable features that would really benefit us."
  • "With Jira, we were unable to implement time-based automation in its ticketing system. We would like a feature where we can define tickets based on severity, then tickets are automatically escalated to the next level after a set period of time if they go unanswered."

What is our primary use case?

I'm working with a new organization, and we're considering going with Jira. First, we wanted to show the management, the features, and what options the competitors offer as well. Then we'll be moving forward.

What is most valuable?

Two features I like about Jira are its ticketing system and its compatibility with Confluence. Also, the Knowledge Base is one of the more valuable features that would really benefit us.
These were the two main features that I'm looking forward to using at this current organization.

What needs improvement?

With Jira, we were unable to implement time-based automation in its ticketing system. We would like a feature where we can define tickets based on severity, then tickets are automatically escalated to the next level after a set period of time if they go unanswered.

I've been using Jira for the last 10 years.

Jira is of course very scalable.

We haven't faced any technical issues so far. Standard and premium support are both available 24/7, so I'm guessing it is going to be good.

Setting up Jira was very easy. The interface is good. Implementation is simple. One person can set it up by himself.  And the user experience is really good in Jira.

For the people like us, the lower the price, the better. But when compared to other competitors, I think it's Jira's price is okay.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Jira Service Management 10 out of 10. I think that people should really go for it because of its ease of use. I would definitely recommend it to others.

JZ
Director of operations at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good integration and scalable, but it should be easier to switch between the test environment and the production environment

• "Its integration is most valuable. It is pretty open for integration."
  • "It is pretty complex to move between the test environment and the production environment. There is potential for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using it for service management, which includes incident management, change management, etc.

I'm not sure if we are using its latest version, but I would expect so.

What is most valuable?

Its integration is most valuable. It is pretty open for integration.

What needs improvement?

It is pretty complex to move between the test environment and the production environment. There is potential for improvement.

Security is always an issue with every tool. So, everything can be more secure.

We have been using this solution for approximately three months.

I haven't noticed any problems with stability.

It is, for sure, scalable. In our organization, we have approximately 200 users.

We are using a local partner, and we are very satisfied with them.

I didn't deploy it. We have only two admins for its deployment and maintenance.

We need a license because we have a higher number than the free part.

We were evaluating some time ago. We scanned the market, and Jira was selected.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. It is definitely not peer-to-peer in comparison with solutions like ServiceNow, but it is a pretty big software, and its feature set caters to our needs.

I would rate Jira Service Management a seven out of 10.

AS
Manager (AWS Operations) at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
User friendly but more costly and less feature-rich than some solutions

• "It is much more controlled and allows for different kinds of customization that we can plan and implement based on the project requirements."
  • "It has change management and incident management, but CMDB is not there. It's also not as user-friendly as ServiceNow."

What is our primary use case?

We are using JIRA as a ticketing tool.

What is most valuable?

JIRA Service Management is much better than the normal JIRA software that we had. It is much more controlled and allows for different kinds of customization that we can plan and implement based on the project requirements.

What needs improvement?

I used ServiceNow for a long time in my earlier work. Compared to ServiceNow, there are a lot of areas where JIRA can improve. ServiceNow itself has various modules, like Change Management, Knowledge Management, and CMDB. All of these things are integrated, so if they are properly implemented, then it becomes a tool with a single repository. With JIRA, I don't see the same features. It has change management and incident management, but CMDB is not there. It's also not as user-friendly as ServiceNow.

We implemented JIRA Service Management about eight months ago, but I've been using JIRA software for two years.

JIRA Service Management is very easy to set up relative to other JIRA software.

The cost of the license is too high. It's a real challenge for companies that aren't already using JIRA products. ServiceNow or other tools have more modules, and they charge less relative to the number of features they offer.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate JIRA Service Management seven out of 10. If you are already working with JIRA, then you should definitely go with JIRA Service Management. It is very user-friendly and with all its ticketing tools, it offers some new methods of working.

SB
COO at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Promotes collaboration between team members providing internal and external support

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira Service Desk for supporting both internal and external clients.

What is most valuable?

One of the best features is that I can share tickets with team members, at which point any team member is able to pick one up and work on it.

I began using Jira Service Desk when I joined the company about two and a half years ago, although the rest of the company has been using it for longer than that.

We have had a problem with stability in the past, although it has been resolved.

What is most valuable?

I have contacted technical support about different features and I find that they don't address issues as fast as they should.

The pricing is very competitive and I think that it is okay.

AC
Financial Sector Consulting Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Has good simplicity but access management needs improvement

What is most valuable?

The simplicity is good for our clients. The price is good.  You can increase users without any difficulty.

What needs improvement?

There should be better connections with access management. They should improve the connectivity.

I have been using JIRA Service Desk since 2016.

It is very stable. Our clients don't have problems with stability.

We do the technical support for our clients.

I have worked with HP products, BMC Remedy, and Service Manager.

Our customers think that the…

What is most valuable?

The simplicity is good for our clients. The price is good.

You can increase users without any difficulty.

What needs improvement?

I have been using JIRA Service Desk since 2016.

It is very stable. Our clients don't have problems with stability.

We do the technical support for our clients.

I have worked with HP products, BMC Remedy, and Service Manager.

Our customers think that the pricing is high. Compared to the competitors, I think the pricing is fair.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate JIRA Service Desk a seven out of ten.