JIRA Service Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

JIRA Service Management is #2 ranked solution in top Help Desk Software and #3 ranked solution in top IT Service Management (ITSM) tools. IT Central Station users give JIRA Service Management an average rating of 8 out of 10. JIRA Service Management is most commonly compared to ServiceNow: JIRA Service Management vs ServiceNow. The top industry researching this solution is Computer Software Company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is JIRA Service Management?

Jira Service Management empowers teams with everything they need to get started fast. Check out capabilities for ITSM practices like request, incident, problem, change, and configuration management.

JIRA Service Management is also known as JIRA Service Desk.

JIRA Service Management Buyer's Guide

Download the JIRA Service Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

JIRA Service Management Customers

mgm technology partners, Telestream, Build.com, Zend Technologies, OfficeDrop, PGS Software, American Diabetes Association, NEPTUNE Canada

JIRA Service Management Video

Archived JIRA Service Management Reviews (more than two years old)

Stephen Kane
Technical Solutions Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Helps shape our project management workflow but customization is difficult

• "JIRA helps integrate Kanban Board features and for this reason what it does it does well."
  • "If JIRA were more of a substantial stand-alone product that covered more needs for project management, we wouldn't be using a suite of products."

What is our primary use case?

One of the primary things we use JIRA for is the Kanban Board feature. We use it for managing our projects and issues as well as accountabilities within the company. We have a homegrown — I suppose you could call it a Six Sigma type — approach. We identify the six main projects and the six areas where you can make the biggest difference within the company. Then we identify six projects that we're going to work on within those areas.

We use the Kanban Board extensively. We use the Confluence facility on the backend. Really,  we use Confluence and JIRA both together: Confluence for global planning and JIRA for issue and project management.

How has it helped my organization?

It simply helps us shape our project management workflow.

What is most valuable?

The implementation that we have is highly customized, so I can't talk to the capabilities of JIRA product independently because I'm not familiar with all of the different things that can be done with it. It's very useful in terms of the dashboard for the office, and the overview of all the different issues and props, what's on backlog, what's in progress, what's been resolved. That kind of thing, is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

One of the best additions to this product would be a single centralized point in which to store all the documents that are involved in progressing with tasks. For instance, if you're working on a JIRA task and you attach a document to it, not everybody will share a centralized storage facility where all the documents are. The idea would be to make it so everybody can see (or view) the same current document. They would get specific privileges (e.g., view or edit). But if a document is shared now, as it is in potentially an older version, it may not be accurate. Better to share the current document so that everyone has the same information.

Centralized document storage would allow all documents to be linked to any issue where it was pertinent rather than having to be attached to specific issues and limiting the viewers.

We have been using the product for about four years now.

The product itself seems stable. We don't run into issues where we blame JIRA directly for failing.

JIRA can really scale perfectly for our needs. We have both end users and admins using this product. Really, everybody in our company uses it. No one has a problem with getting access and we scale as needed.

I haven't had any access to JIRA's technical support at all directly, I've never had any need to call them in. Generally, that would be someone else's responsibility. I'm not aware of having anyone in the company having issues with support on call or other contact.

We have looked for solutions in terms of the enterprise applications that are used by my company. We already have Confluence, we have JIRA Service desk, and we have Quest KACE Endpoint Management. We also use VMware AirWatch, virtualization productivity, and Dell hardware. A solution that works with these existing tools means that there is lest to change and train.

I wasn't involved in the setup of JIRA, so I can't really comment that much on that aspect of the product. It was set up by one of my other team members. However, I've been told it was a relatively straightforward process. The customization, which is substantial, has been difficult. That is obviously not the fault of the product itself.

We had specific goals in using a suite of products and we are doing our own deployments based on goals that we define. Essentially we didn't need outside help.

What other advice do I have?

When considering a solution it is best to stay as standard as possible when adopting it. The further you get off the standard path the more difficult it is to adopt or adapt to other solutions if that becomes necessary or desirable in the future.

I can't actually give it a fair appreciation at this stage of the capabilities of JIRA as a stand-alone product because of the way we have implemented it in a cluster of other products.

At this stage, I would give it a five out of ten. This is mostly because we rely on other products for certain services or features. If JIRA had more comprehensive coverage of what we require, or if it was easier to implement what it already does, the rating would be higher.

MohammadRanjbar
IT Manager at Razi Insurance
The simple user interface helps non-English speaking customers use the software and it is highly customizable

• "One of the main advantages of JIRA is that it can be customized for our solutions. I live in Iran and we translated some parts of it into Persian and customized it with extra features. We hid other features to customize it right to the point. We provide this solution for our customers."
  • "An improvement they could add is a better management dashboard. We only use the dashboard for the administration mode. We have a dashboard that reports the state of bugs or requirements. However, customers can only view requests that they made. We are not able to share a dashboard with our manager level customers to show them all of the requests in a quick dashboard."

What is our primary use case?

One of the main advantages of JIRA is that it can be customized for our solutions. I live in Iran and we translated some parts of it into Persian and customized it with extra features. We hid other features to customize it right to the point. We provide this solution for our customers.

It helps us shape it for our project management workflow. We are a software development team, a software company. Internally, we also use Microsoft Team Foundation, or TFS, for our development team, while we use JIRA Service Desk for our contact points. We use JIRA for the CRM and Microsoft Team Foundation for internal use.

How has it helped my organization?

We designed a single page on JIRA and classified it into three parts. One part reports software bugs, another part to report requirements about software development, and the last part for other requirements or needs. The customer can follow the links that we share. The system also sets permissions for our customers. I think we shared the agent mode. JIRA has two modes, one for administration and one for customers. We shared the customer mode.

Usually, our customers need two permissions, depending on their hierarchy. One level is the manager and the other is for a regular customer. We share it with our customer at two levels. The manager sees all of the requests that are sent from the organization. The regular user-level allows one to view only their own request.

What is most valuable?

It is simple to use. It is clear for our customer, who usually don't know English very well. The simple user interface helps them use the software.

What needs improvement?

An improvement they could add is a better management dashboard. We only use the dashboard for the administration mode. We have a dashboard that reports the state of bugs or requirements. However, customers can only view requests that they made. We are not able to share a dashboard with our manager level customers to show them all of the requests in a quick dashboard.

For Service Desk, I think the product now is very good and complete. Only the management dashboard for customers is a feature we would like to see in a future release. Maybe it is available already and we just can't find it.

We've been using JIRA Service Desk for two years.

JIRA has very good stability. We haven't had any problems with it.

We use JIRA in parallel with TFS. We connect them with a JIRA provided API. We use this API to connect with other products. Sometimes we must program for it to download some plugins and add to JIRA, for example. We can connect JIRA with other products this way.

One of our technicians did the setup. I am the manager of a technical support team and I delegated this part of the project to one of my technicians. I think he ran a Windows server for the deployment. He installed JIRA on it and configured it. He searched how to install JIRA on a Microsoft Windows server and read the manual. I think we had no problem with the deployment process. He set it up, but I didn't hear about any problem with it.

Actually in Iran we don't have copyright or intellectual property, so we can use JIRA for free.

It's uncomfortable, but because we don't have any laws about copyright, we must do it. We also do this with other products, like Microsoft's for example. We usually get them free. We have no problem using the full feature set free.

I searched about the top CRM in the world and compared features. Eventually, we selected JIRA.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this as nine out of ten. If they add a dashboard for management customers, it would be a ten.

Learn what your peers think about JIRA Service Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ahmed Shehata
IT Quality Section Head at Saudi Public Transport Company JSC
A customizable solution with good stability but needs more IT Service Management features

• "The customization is the most valuable aspect of the solution. I can customize full workflows. It's very flexible. We can use mail if we want to open requests as well."
  • "The solution should be more formalized. It could be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I'm primarily trying to use the solution as an IT Service Management solution.

What is most valuable?

The customization is the most valuable aspect of the solution. I can customize full workflows. It's very flexible. We can use mail if we want to open requests as well.

The solution offers access to add-ons that are also very helpful.

What needs improvement?

The solution should be more formalized. It could be more user-friendly.

If we are talking about IT service management, I think more features related to problem management need to be within the solution. If you want something for supplier management or complication management, you have to buy some add-ons from the market to help you with this. However, there needs more enhancements regarding that both on the solution and with available add-ons.

Arabic support is very important. It should be included on the solution itself, not provided separately. The reporting features should include more how-to guidance.

I've been using the solution for about 1.5 years.

The solution is stable.

In terms of handling data, the solution is very scalable. Right now, we have about 50 users on the system.

Technical support is okay. They help us if we have something initialized. They're helpful and professional.

We previously used FS from Nexus, a Mac-specific manager, and a CS manager, among others, for various types of service management. We were trying to replace the IT Service management solutions with Jira mainly as a non-technical box for a non-technical cost and push management.

The initial setup has a medium level of difficulty. Deployment took about ten days.

We did the implementation ourselves with the help of some tutorials, which really helped to build the system.

When we bought the solution, I recall there was one license option limited to 50 users. There is an enterprise version as well.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

It's a good, stable solution. It can help open the IT Solution management backing if you're just looking to do some enhancements.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

Eman Masalmeh
Quality Engineering Lead at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Good user interface and management features help bring our team together

• "I like the history, the dimensioning, and how I can configure a space based on my preferences or the project circumstances."
  • "During the updates, when another version gets released, whatever I am tracking at that time gets lost and I have to type it all over again."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is project management.

The deployment model we used was cloud-based.

Depending on the project your deployment model would be using a hybrid cloud or a private cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the things that I love about JIRA is that it connects the team together, and this is something that I will always need.

What is most valuable?

I believe that JIRA is one of the best project management tools. I like the history, the dimensioning, and how I can configure a space based on my preferences or the project circumstances. I can update the workflow on the project that I am working on.

What needs improvement?

One of the issues is that this solution keeps changing within a short period.

During the updates, when another version gets released, whatever I am tracking at that time gets lost and I have to type it all over again.

Some enhancements can be done on the GANTT chart. It is not as user-friendly, and not easy to get established in JIRA.

I would like to see the documents open in the same browser, and not need to download it each time. It is not easy to be established, it requires a lot of work to keep it up.

In the next release, I would like to see more work in preferences. It would be great.

I have been using this solution for four years.

The solution is stable.

This solution is scalable. It's flexible.

We have not used the customer service/technical support. We use the technical team at our company.

The setup was a bit complex.

If it is on the cloud then it's easy to establish but if it's on-premises it is more complicated.

We had competitor options. It was between TSL and JIRA.

I wanted JIRA for the UI and its usability.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers for this solution.

I would recommend the JIRA Service desk, but there is always room for improvement.

VS
CEO at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
MSP
A good basic configuration with lots of online community and website support

What is most valuable?

The basic configuration and the basic abilities provided are the most valuable aspects of the solution.

What needs improvement?

Usability needs improvement. To configure it, you need to be well versed in JIRA administration. It's not very intuitive.

I've been using the solution for seven years.

The stability of the solution is okay.

The potential to scale the solution depends on what the organization aims to do but it's good.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for seven years.

The stability of the solution is okay.

The solution offers lots of information on the website to assist with technical queries. There are also many community sites to help you troubleshoot any problems.

The usual setup is fine but to configure anything that is out of the box, you really need to understand the abilities of the solution.

Deployment takes about two hours.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd rate it higher, but it is expensive and very hard to customize.

Yaser_Kazerooni
Agile Couch at Fusoft
An excellent solution for tracking customer service issues and tracking technical support issues

• "This is the most complete and versatile enterprise task management product and issue tracker."
  • "Integration possibilities with other products that are not Atlassian would be helpful. Support should also provide separate installation guides for each product even though they are easy to install."

What is our primary use case?

JIRA Service Desk is used as a support solution with the support team to manage support service delivery to customers. I coached a big banking company using JIRA Service Desk to record customer incidents that require support. With the product, we have two different layers of incident management. Level one is for the call center and level two is for the agents who repair or try to resolve the incident using a software team.

If their team can't resolve the problem, we create particular bug issues in JIRA software, and the development team creates a plan to correct the issue and confirms the experience in order to provide a resolution. The issue is returned back to layer two, and layer two discusses the problem with layer one. After that, layer one speaks to the customer and explains the status of the problem.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us to provide better customer service.

What is most valuable?

The best part of the application for me is the ability to manage the issues. Within the different layers, you can set priorities, define task management, assign tasks to the software team or to different groups or functions to help manage solutions in JIRA. I use different features in JIRA Service Desk for the software team. It is a broad solution that affects different layers of the organization.

Because the software team and development team can use the solution to manage and track projects more efficiently and work together as a team, they find and resolve problems better.

What needs improvement?

I think that JIRA Service Desk is a very good product and that it is full of features that work well to manage tasks. It has the flexibility to handle many different activities and it is very good at this. Especially in the latest version, it has some new features and capabilities that were added so that it is even better.

The one thing I would like to see is better capabilities to integrate with products other than parts of the Atlassian system. For example, if there is a Microsoft product that is better for another team the integration may be difficult or impossible.

Any one business process software can't do everything a system needs. For example, I have experience with JIRA and TFS (Team Foundation Server). TFS is a very good application and a good solution for software development teams. It's not the perfect solution for all parts of an organization and maybe does not fit an organization's needs well. In some cases, it may be better. It depends on the use. If you want a broad solution for your company, for task management, or issue tracking, TFS is not a good solution. For software development, TFS is very, very good and may be just what you need.

After using the product and knowing the benefits of TFS, I thought that combining the systems would be the best solution: the combined system could help the company to decrease the time it took to process software issues. I think JIRA Service Desk does not have features that are as good for tracking fix times or bottlenecks in the process. You can use different plug-ins for JIRA Service Desk to add some functionality, but these plug-ins are very expensive. It would be nice if JIRA Service Desk added in some of these features for this type of support.

But about the plugins, I found one plug-in — its name is Actionable Metric I think — and it is $3000. That is very expensive for users in Iran. For most customers, I would not be able to propose this solution because it's very expensive. But it is also very important to some of the projects I consult with. Because of that, it eliminates JIRA Service Desk from consideration, because we can't integrate them into the system.

I have been using JIRA Service Desk for four years

The product seems very stable. We have never had a problem.

I think the product is very scalable as long as the hardware can handle the usage.

We have never had a problem. Two years ago, I had a launch of Service Desk in a bank in Iran and we had 8,000 issues to track for the core banking system.

This launch was very, very good because we used an IT framework in this company and returned used a post egress system for response to bank customers or bank users. We could use Jira software for the response to this incident and resolve that.

We had 8,000 issues two years ago, and the company continues to use this product and I am sure that they have been able to scale and track more.

The Atlassian technical support is actually very good and responsive.

I worked in a different company and when I was there they were using a different solution. It was an airplane company in Iran. For part of my job, I was tasked with finding the best solution for managing tasks in different layers of the organization — different tasks for different departments. For example, I wanted them to record requirements for cost and team level or management level. Unfortunately, with the product they were using, I could not find these solutions for task management. As this was critical, I needed to do some research into other task management solutions. After a search I found some reviews on ITCentralStation.com, I found from the reading that the Atlassian system would be better to serve our needs because of the features. I looked at other solutions and reviews but I finally chose the JIRA system.

This is the best application for me because it supported different solutions and could be one big solution for different layer of the organization using JIRA Service Desk, JIRA software, or JIRA Core.

While I think the installation and deployment were very simple for me, the company should have different ways to find solutions independent of technical support and they need a better installation guide for installing different applications. My team and I tried to do an installation on the last server for a new client in a different environment than we usually use. We installed different portals for addressing that and I have had experience installing two or three of the top DevOps tools. This was very easy by comparison.

There have occasionally been some problems, but it is usually very good and very simple.

I am an Agile development coach and systems consultant and our team does our installations ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I think I had the opportunity to learn a few things by working with JIRA Service Desk. It has been a good solution and supports good practices, but it is not everything every company needs. I can't find a better single solution for a better approach to tracking and better customer satisfaction. I have a better picture of customer needs and gradation.

I have more experience in JIRA software because I worked with it in many different companies now. Some years ago I was a Java Software developer and had a lot of experience with Scrum and agile development and we used JIRA software. I think I can speak better about JIRA software because I was a software developer.

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate JIRA Service Desk as a ten. For my experience, it is the best product on the market for use in enterprise installations.

SeniorOwnder67
Owner and Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
It manages our queues and tickets but it lacks capabilities from the user's perspective

• "What I really like about this solution, is how it manages the queues, the tickets and the routing."
  • "I don't think the program is very scalable."

What is most valuable?

What I really like about this solution is how it manages the queues, the tickets, and the routing.

What needs improvement?

I think the solution has a lack of capabilities from the user's perspective. I would, for example, be able to see all the phases instead of only being able to create a ticket. I want to be familiar with all the steps and be able to change things during these steps. I would like to see that improved.

What's more, we wanted to be resellers for this program, but it was denied, unfortunately. The claim of the developers was that they didn't need other resellers or partners. I think they made a mistake because we work with a lot of customers. So I think that needs to be improved because we sell and we are business partners of IBM and Microsoft, for example. But with Atlassian, it's very, very hard.

I've been using the solution for about three years now.

The solution is very stable.

I don't think the program is very scalable. It lacks scaling capabilities from the performance perspective and load balancing and some other infrastructure capabilities. This is a real disadvantage if you compare it to other tools.

The technical support was average.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to use the solution as is, and not to try to perform some sophisticated solutions. If it fits to your needs, take it. If not, use another solution. I rate this solution a seven out of ten, and in the future, I would like to see better infrastructure, more scalability, better performance, load balancing and things like that.

BasharatAhmed
Product Manager at Hashmove
Intuitive solution with fast, helpful technical support

• "This solution has helped us a great deal in project management tracking and forecasting."
  • "JIRA protects the end-user, but for the configuration, more rules could be added to improve the workflow."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for storing project data on the cloud.

The deployment model we are using is on the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the JIRA Bots and the dashboard. I am satisfied with these features.

What needs improvement?

Some of the areas that could be improved are with the customizations. For example, if I wanted to add a new user with the same name, or start a new bot, add a new caller, or even just want to add a new column, it is complicated. This area can be simplified.

The foundation needs to be simplified.

As an additional feature, I would like to see some permissions and definitions added or to allow us to add things such as a surname or additional rules in the work tools.

Rules are needed for the configuration also, giving us access to writing the rules.

The workflow could be more user-friendly.

I have been using this solution for five years.

This solution is stable. There are constant updates every few days.

This solution is scalable.

We have large teams with multiple users that use this solution. For small to medium-sized organizations it's perfect, but for large organizations, they may require more from JIRA, possibly having a portal.

There have been some issues when upgrading JIRA. It was not responding. We contacted customer support and within two hours the issue was resolved.

It wasn't always this efficient because they were not aware or couldn't see that the systems were down, but they always reassured us that it could be resolved.

We previously used different solutions, and we could have used both, but we found that JIRA was a good solution.

We found it to be user-friendly, and it had a better market share. Although there are some differences, the other solution is very robotic and JIRA is very intuitive, it is very usable.

While I didn't do the installation, I do believe that it would be easy and straightforward.

I did not install this solution, rather, it was my boss who completed the installation.

I am responsible for the setup and management of this solution.

I am handling the setup for the JIRA Bots, the frames, and all of the releases.

What other advice do I have?

I started using JIRA in 2016 when I joined this company. It was a new software-house-startup company.

They asked me if I would like to use JIRA or any other tool. I chose to learn JIRA and not do any R&D. I was very comfortable and the team will be comfortable.

We are a hiring team, so we have the authority to impose on our people.

I didn't install this solution, but I use it and I configured it.

What I learned is that JIRA is all about the team. If you know the tool, but you don't communicate with your team then it will not be of any benefit. On the other hand, if you want to benefit from using this solution, first you have to learn how to use the solution, and then you have to translate that to your team and teach them how to use it.

I would recommend JIRA to everyone, including my friends.

I am working on owning my own business and I plan to use JIRA for project management.

MandlaMbonambi
Founder and The Craftmaster at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A versatile help desk request tracker that lets you receive, track, manage and resolve customer requests

• "This is a flexible tool for logging and tracking issues efficiently."
  • "It would be better if it had capabilities to connect to mobile applications (e.g., Whatsapp)"

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product to log issues that require investigation or solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows tracking and communications to be sure issues are resolved. This helps us remain on task and keeps clients happy.

What is most valuable?

The product is valuable for logging and tracking issues. We can use it on multiple platforms and make it accessible to other people in other streams.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by integrating better with mobile numbers. For example, creating a WhatsApp platform would extend the solution and make it more useful. For now, when the issues are logged here, requests and responses go through the email server. The additional opportunities for connectivity would make it possible for quicker responses and more immediacy. With Micro Focus, one of the tools we used, we were able to build in a script that would send a response through WhatsApp instead of sending emails to the project group. JIRA would be better if that type of thing were possible, or even better if the solution was actually built into the product instead of having to use another service.

I think if JIRA can get that one right, it will be more desirable in the marketplace in general.

More interactive reporting would also be helpful.

We have been using JIRA Service Desk for more than six years.

We find that this is an excellent tool and it is very stable.

JIRA is an excellent tool. We still have room to improve how we use it. It can cater to multiple needs and purposes which enhances its demand. The fact that we can use it for multiple tasks alone makes it scalable. It's very good at what it does.

We have more than ten people currently using it. Most of them are testing consultants and developers. We also have project managers using it.

For deployment and maintenance, it may take only one to three guys. It depends on the complexity of what you are planning to do with it, so it will vary from case to case. There's no absolute answer to how many people will need to be involved.

Our deployment of the project is changing and growing on an on-going basis. It is used extensively and consistently and seems to be more useful as we explore what it can do.

I won't lie and say they are good because I am not the one who is in contact with support when something goes wrong. The development server had a problem that they solved, but the technical guys on the projects are the ones who would know about that. I haven't heard any complaints about support.

We previously used the defect module for Micro Focus ALM.

In most cases, we don't have to set it up from scratch. The stakeholders usually already have it installed. The amount of time it takes for deployment depends on the complexity of what a client needs.

We used an in-house guy for the implementation.

We have seen a return on investment in that it makes us more efficient and that in turn will make our clients happier.

I do not have a good idea of the costs as that is not my department, but it is a valuable solution for handling and tracking multiple projects.

We did not really evaluate other products when making the switch to JIRA. It seemed to be an intuitive choice.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate this solution as an eight. It is a good solution and it helps to boost productivity.

EL
Senior Manager at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
A user-friendly solution that you can access from anywhere but lacks support for project management

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a help desk. It's a place where the users upload tickets related to a new project, new ideas, new incidents, and things like that.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has provided us with a tool for ticket management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is that it is user-friendly. It is web-based and can be accessed from everywhere.

What needs improvement?

This solution lacks features for project management. I would like to see more reports.

This is a stable and reliable solution.

We have a contract with a local partner for technical support and they are fine.

How was the

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has provided us with a tool for ticket management.

What needs improvement?

This is a stable and reliable solution.

This solution was in place before I joined the company, so I don't know about the initial setup.

Our local partner handled the implementation for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Transparency of the system helps both internal and external persons involved

• "The automations will really help the company by delegating work the way your company operates."
  • "It makes the IT department more transparent and helps the employees."
  • "JIRA SD also helps for much better feedback on the work being done. All colleagues can see what is happening."
  • "Transparency of the system helps both internal and external persons involved."
  • "In general, JIRA has no relation to customers or financials. Therefore, marketplace add-ons are needed to make it work for customer-facing systems."

What is our primary use case?

Optimizing the IT and support departments to handle tickets without "going under" in the amount of work that they are doing by organizing the most important and urgent things first.

How has it helped my organization?

JIRA SD releases pressure on the IT department and generates statistics. It also makes the department more transparent and helps the employees. JIRA SD also helps for much better feedback on the work being done. All colleagues can see what is happening. When the customer calls, everybody can see what is happening and the feedback via email when a ticket is modified makes sure the customer is informed and does not start calling. This releases pressure too.

What is most valuable?

Transparency of the system helps both internal and external persons involved. Statistics allow us to deploy resources where needed. It shows problem zones and where more capacity is needed or more training. JIRA SD also makes employees better as it helps them to feel more important when it comes to customer satisfaction.

More than five years.

No, it is running very stable, but only when you have a test system to try out things. As it is designed for developers, it is hard to convince developers to tamper with the production system.

Yes, a plain vanilla installation will only last for less than 100 users. Handling more requires better hardware and configurations.

Atlassian only has a very expensive enterprise support contract (>$100K) or email/JIRA-Ticket support. That support is included when you buy the license. After a year, you only pay for this support and not the license anymore. It is 50% of the new license costs and called a "renewal".

I would suggest to always buy licenses through an Atlassian partner, so you can also rely on their expertise. This way you have two support contacts and does not cost you anything more, such a partner will also come to the location, which Atlassian will never do (Atlassian only does email (JIRA-Ticket support). Phone calls to Atlassian will always be sales support advising to file a JIRA support ticket. Tech support is mostly concentrated in Australia, so there is always a time zone delay for the tickets you raise.

We previously used CRM systems, like Vtiger CRM and SugarCRM. These are not intended for a development department.

Setup (install) is straightforward, but needs tweaking when you are a heavy user.

Setup of the projects is made easier, but there is a lot more you can do beyond initial setup. The automations will really help the company by delegating work the way your company operates.

We implemented with the aid of the vendor and external consultants.

It is hard to calculate costs you do not make.

It is also hard to calculate growing efficiency.

I can see that JIRA avoids chaos and makes the whole company work more efficient as all feature requests and internal/external requests are all visible in the JIRA tickets and the Confluence wiki system.

It made money the first year already.

Costs are about $50 per user per year. JIRA is sold in user tiers of 25, 50, 100, 250, 500, 2000, 10,000, and unlimited users. It is bad when you have 51 users then the price is based on that 100 user tier. Users at 100 will be the most cost effective.

JIRA Service Desk has different pricing as it is based on agents. On average, the price is about $300 per agent.

Do not forget to calculate add-on costs. These cost a percentage of the JIRA purchasing costs and are based on the number of JIRA users.

Not really, as it was much better than Bugzilla which we used before.

What other advice do I have?

Buying a software solution is only a half part of the solution (or even less). You need to optimize usage of the software by hiring professionals who will help you to make the most of the software, especially in the beginning.

Repeat hiring of external consultancy every couple of years as knowledge fades out (people get different tasks to do). You should optimize your software infrastructure and re-evaluate it every three to four years to make optimal use of your infrastructure as the outside world changes very fast. Requirements also change.

Analysis Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
​Allows customized processes for our service contracts

What is our primary use case?

Service Desk and implementing typical ITIL processes (change, incident, problem, support management, etc.).

How has it helped my organization?

Allowing customized processes for our service contracts. Reporting and easy export to Excel spreadsheets, or similar.

What is most valuable?

Code available Emails for groups Usability  Bang for the buck (in small and mid-size organizations)

What needs improvement?

SaaS version for large organizations (more than 2000 users) is not available. Include a split configuration in a layer part to allow cloud services to have almost full admin rights in SaaS.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

• Allowing customized processes for our service contracts.
  • Reporting and easy export to Excel spreadsheets, or similar.

What is most valuable?

• Code available
  • Emails for groups
  • Usability
  • Bang for the buck (in small and mid-size organizations)

What needs improvement?

• SaaS version for large organizations (more than 2000 users) is not available.
  • Include a split configuration in a layer part to allow cloud services to have almost full admin rights in SaaS.

Business Analyst at Towers Watson
It's relatively straightforward to configure, but it does not integrate very well with our email system.

What is most valuable?

The system is relatively straightforward to configure. The ability to add custom fields is useful as is the ability to customise the individual queues for the service desk requests to sit in.

What needs improvement?

It does not integrate very well with our email system (MS Outlook). When users log issues they sometimes include a paragraph of text, or a report, with some of the content highlighted in order to draw attention to a problem. The email integration seems to read only the ascii text and throws away all of the formatting. Also if a user emails an issue in and CC's their colleagues in, the system seems incapable of also CC'ing them in on any reply and subsequent dialogue.

Just completed evaluation

Atlassian Customer service is some of the best I have experienced. We have a 500 user Jira system (Without the Service Desk add-on) and I have raised a number of issues with Atlassian support. They have all been dealt with quickly and effectively.

We used a product called Infra which is being discontinued in it's current form. We decided to review other products as we had decided to 'jump ship' with Infra.

Licensing has been much improved recently. In their previous version of Service Desk Atlassian were insisting that the customers (people who raised tickets) were all licensed Jira users. They have dropped that now and the product came back onto the radar for a lot of organisations who had previously dismissed it, purely on the shortcomings of the license model.

We also looked at Vivantio Service Desk and will probably implement this instead of Atlassian Service desk.