Jira Overview

Jira is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Application Lifecycle Management Suites. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure DevOps: Jira vs Microsoft Azure DevOps

What is Jira?

JIRA has multiple deployment options to provide the flexibility your organization needs.

Cloud is a fully hosted service for customers who want to iterate quickly and have us take care of managing the infrastructure.

For customers who need to run our applications behind their firewall, we have Server and Data Center options. Server delivers greater capacity for a larger user base and gives you more control, allowing you to remain compliant with your enterprise IT, security, IP and privacy policies. For our largest customers, Data Center provides all the capability of our Server option, along with high availability, instant scalability and performance at scale.

Atlassian also offers premium support and strategic services for enterprise customers. Technical Account Managers are cross-functional technical advisors providing proactive planning and strategic guidance across your organization. Premier Support goes above and beyond our standard offerings to give you account-wide support from a team of senior support engineers.

Jira is also known as Jira Software.

Jira Buyer's Guide

Download the Jira Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Jira Customers

Square, Nasa, eBay, Cisco, SalesForce, Adobe, BNP Paribas, BMW and LinkedIn, Pfizer, Citi.

Jira Video

Jira Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

KevinCharlton
Senior IT Test Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jan 16, 2019
Great solution for writing user stories and task management

• "Some of the features that are most important to me of JIRA Agile are the sprint planning, being able to write user stories and being able to use task management."
  • "I have had problems with performance and unresponsiveness. All of a sudden, the performance slowed down, and I had a number of users that could not use the tool."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to future users is to check out sources like YouTube and look at the main features you want. Potentially with JIRA, particularly with the cloud version, they have a seven day trial. I suggest that future users sign up for the free trial to make sure the features of JIRA meet their personal requirements. Also, the user should make sure that JIRA is a good fit for the user's organization.
Sami Abu Shawarib
Senior Implementation Manager at Autodata Solutions
User
Oct 23, 2018
We now have an excellent helpdesk ticketing system with follow-up and escalation.

What is our primary use case?

It possesses excellent customization and serves the basic requirements: multi-project, products, customers and multi-level of users.
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EngagemeDir320
Pre-Sales Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 14, 2018

What is our primary use case?

We use it mainly for Scrum management.

• "Reporting: It gives a nice report of my backlog and what my team has currently spent its efforts on."
  • "JIRA still has their own backtracking tools. It should have a better visibility into HPE UFT. Most people use functional testing tools, like QTP. They need to improve their integration to make it seamless."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Usability: It should be easy to use. People should not have to undergo a lot of training because it should be intuitive. * It should be scalable and a cloud solution. * It should not be expensive. Cost is a major driver because I work in pre-sales.
ITDeveloper20
IT Developer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Aug 8, 2018
The product is a better way to manage progress and see the status of different tasks. Stability-wise, it is slow and hangs.

What is our primary use case?

We are working in the safe channel process in the IT part of the bank. It is a good experience overall, but the look and feel for the user is not good.

• "It benefits us because we have globally located teams. Our team members work in different geographies, so the product is a better way to manage progress and see the status of different tasks"
  • "There is a difficulty viewing all the attachments because they are shown in one place. I would like attachments to be shown at the comment level."
  • "Sometimes, it is slow and hangs. We faced some stability issues where JIRA was down for a day. Also, we have lost some of our comments made in the JIRA because of downtime."

What other advice do I have?

I would tell a colleague looking for this type of solution to look at Microsoft TFS and VSTS. Most important criteria when selecting vendor: * A well-known vendor for the software. * A good reputation. * Compare what other companies are using. * The look and feel of the user interface.
rdmanager94851
R&D manager at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 6, 2018

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is task management. It has performed okay. It is easy to configure and maintain. It's quite simple to track tasks, then link with other applications/solutions from Atlassian, like source codes.

• "We can cope with processes easily without adapting the tool, but adapting the tool to processes."
  • "There are no fields to search or to filter by, mainly the ones which use a data around a date and time when something changes."

What other advice do I have?

Understand your own process: What you are looking for, the size of your company, what your budget is, and the larger plans for the future. There are tools that scale better than others and there are solutions that fit to both small and big teams. There are tools which scale better for larger companies. Most important criteria when evaluating a vendor: * We evaluate the company's strategy. * If they bought an legacy solution to add to the portfolio or if they are developing from scratch. * What are their plans for the future? * What type of support do they have? * What is their business model…
it_user809520
QA Automation at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Jun 10, 2018
Allows us to rewrite and change tasks, add columns and change components

What is our primary use case?

We use JIRA for maintaining tasks and bugs. Overall, we love using JIRA because it performs very well with a lot of tasks and a lot of dashboards.

• "The ability to change and rewrite tasks is valuable. You can add a lot of columns, change the owners and the change the components."
  • "I would like to see it connecting to Git. That could be useful. We use it for Stash, but I think there is one for Git also. I don't know if it's a plug-in that exists already, but that could be nice."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it at nine out of 10 because there is always room for improvement, but we love this tool and we use it a lot. I would recommend JIRA. Compare all the tools for bug and task management. After that, you'll see that JIRA is by far the best.
it_user809571
Java Development Team Leader at Honeywell
Jun 7, 2018
Makes the work process transparent, enables communication among various teams

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is task management within the team and the company, as well as version management and bug management.

• "JQL, JIRA Query Language enables me to filter all the issues, display the items as I want."
  • "It's very flexible. I can define workflows and custom fields and dependencies between issues and projects. And every project can have a custom configuration with my fields, my names for fields, my validations, and my workflows. It's very customizable."

What other advice do I have?

When I am evaluating a product or vendor, I have some intuition about it. I see how the thing is built and works, and I go by my own impression. For me, that is important. And, of course, price and maturity of the product, along with flexibility, are important criteria. I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10. It's an excellent product. It has already improved. It has good support. From the beginning, it was very smart and customizable and built well, works well. There are almost no bugs that I have discovered. It's a good product. I just saw an advertisement on the street for a product…
    managerl607749
    Manager, Live Production at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jun 7, 2018
    The mobile app functionality needs improvement. It can be customized for different teams.

What is most valuable?

Overall, everything with it is great. I found it super useful, as it is customizable for different teams and users.

What needs improvement?

The following definitely need improvement: UI  Speed  Mobile app functionality.

It is consistently slow.
    it_user873639
    Business Analyst, Scrum Master & Agile Coach at Atos
    MSP
    May 27, 2018
    Relatively easy for everyone to pickup and use

What is our primary use case?

Running agile deliveries with dispersed teams.  The projects were typical agile, changing requirements frequently. JIRA facilitated story management perfectly.

How has it helped my organization?

Overall, it has good viability.  Relatively easy for everyone to pickup and use.  It improved communication, as it was a popular tool, and most people enjoyed using it.

What is most valuable?

Kanban board: The board is easy to use and visually impressive to non-IT users, who found it easy to relate to.

What needs improvement?

Report customisation could be improved.  Out-of-the-box reporting is limited. It would be helpful if more customisation was possible.

it_user855996
    Integration Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Apr 29, 2018
    ​It is very capable, but also very complicated

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backlog management, sprint planning, requirements management, Scrum, conducting Scrums, and all of our agile stuff.

• "It is very flexible, so we can do pretty much what we want with it."
    • "It handles all of the issues that we need it to do."
    • "​I would like integrated requirements management, so we do not have to buy plug-ins for JIRA, since it was hard to get requirements management for it.​"
    • "I do know the initial setup was pretty complicated. The user interface could be better organized and easier. ​"

What other advice do I have?

It is very capable, but also very complicated. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: reliability.
    it_user849225
    Digital Engagement Manager with 10,001+ employees
    Apr 25, 2018
    An industry standard tool, you don't need to train new employees on it

What is our primary use case?

It's really for Agile projects with storyboards, and then defect management. The performance has been okay.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it an eight out of 10. It's easy to use. People can become productive with this tool in a short time, and it is really the right solution for an Agile environment. A lot of solutions show very well on paper. When you are selecting a solution, do a proof of concept in the environment.
    it_user839079
    Fachbereichsleiter with 10,001+ employees
    Apr 4, 2018
    Helps us work in Agile and Scrum formats across multiple locations and time zones

What is our primary use case?

We run pilots and product development using this for Agile and Scrum applications, in mechatronic product development. It has performed well so far. We like it, we would like to expand it.

• "It helps me to use virtual Scrum boards across four locations, three time zones, and to plan my work. It fully supports the Scrum approach, and the Agile way of working, and it has Agile thinking behind it.."
    • "I struggle with Epics, how they are implemented in JIRA, because they don't work like any other Story, I see a list of Epics, but although I can order them, there are some mismatches with how the Epics are used compared to what Scrum expects, or what Story mapping expects an Epic to be."
    • "I would like to see visualization of release planning. I can list the releases and I can give dates to releases, but to show how they are happening on a timeline, I would need to order the Portfolio part. But just for this, it may be too much to use the Portfolio for that."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not the selector of the vendor, but from what I can tell, from what our IT selects, the vendor should be * available for global support, should be accessible in 24 hours, if there's a larger issue * able to collaborate with large enterprises, which sometimes have different cultures, different languages * able to integrate into the existing work environment - we have this tool, and that tool; the tool should fit into our tool landscape * able to provide training. I would rate JIRA a nine out of 10. It's not a 10 because it's inconsistent, sometimes, in how it acts and reacts, like my…
    Jonathan Machado
    Senior Test Engineer at a venture capital & private equity firm with 10,001+ employees
    Feb 27, 2018
    Our product technicians can use the JIRA module to manage tasks by creating PRDs and user stories

What is our primary use case?

Managing our entire product development life cycle, as well as all test cases and test runs. That include at least 4 developers, 2 business analysts and 2 testers, all working on sprints.

What other advice do I have?

Learn every module you use (a lot!) before jumping to other modules, like we did, with JIRA Testing and Atlassian Confluence, because the conversation between those modules can be troublesome if you don't know exactly what it wants. The product helps us a lot. It can handle the main features that it's supposed to in a proper manner, so we don't have any frustrations in our daily activities.
    it_user661125
    UX Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Feb 19, 2018
    With another tool, it can create a robust project and product management process

What is our primary use case?

JIRA is an issue tracking application, it in global development projects. JIRA helps teams to track and accomplish the items that need to be The great feature about JIRA is you can store the activity happening around an asset in one placeJIRA is useful in project management. It can reduce the rework in enterprise projects. You can also use JIRA Core for Project management, Task management, Process management, HR, Marketing, Legal and Finance projects. JIRA Core can be as per business projects need.

What other advice do I have?

JIRA is very good. With another tool, like Confluence, HipChat, Trello, Bitbucket, Bamboo, and FishEye. It creates a robust project and product management process.
    it_user812835
    Sr. QA Manager with 501-1,000 employees
    User
    Feb 4, 2018
    Gave us control over all test artifacts in one place, along with easy traceability

What is our primary use case?

We used JIRA for: Writing down requirements and stories. Analysis Creating tasks, subtasks, and defects. It also helped tracking the sprint process more efficiently.

How has it helped my organization?

It gave us control over all test artifacts in one place, along with easy traceability, mapping between stories, bugs, test cases, and test cycles.

What is most valuable?

The traceability mapping feature is something that became very useful, especially during releases and bug fixes. The creation of epics and stories/defects is also very useful and simple.

What needs improvement?

It should have its own repository for test case creation, so that one does not have to resort to third-party tools and plugins.

it_user787857
    Technical Writer at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
    Dec 14, 2017
    It stores history of changes, which helps a lot to track who, when, and why the issue was modified

What is our primary use case?

JIRA is the project management system in my company. We use it on a daily basis. It is the main instrument widely used by QAs, Product Developers, Technical Writers, and Project Managers

• "JIRA stores history of changes, which helps a lot to track who, when, and why the issue was modified​."
    • "Reports, analytics, and a ton of widgets, they are great and intuitive. Perfect for an agile team."
    • "I would love to have more features to make nice documents, like Release Notes or a feature overview, right from JIRA."
    it_user461610
    Technical QA Lead in HPE NGA Synchronizer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Sep 18, 2017
    Boards, backlog, and filters are useful in QA and Git integration makes finding specific fixes easier

• "For QA, the most interesting for me are boards, backlog, and filters."
    • "Grid: It is really strange that there is no possibility to edit an item in the grid. You need to go inside, and even then, not all items are editable, so you need to switch to edit mode. That's too many clicks and switches."
    it_user535656
    Test Manager
    Jul 31, 2017
    One of the valuable features is traceability from requirements to test cases. I would like to see test execution modules.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features is traceability from requirements to test cases.

How has it helped my organization?

Traceability was not available before. This is a great advantage for audits

What needs improvement?

I would like to see test execution modules.

We have used this solution for three years.

We encountered only a few issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Technical support is good. We use Beecom as the provider.

QC was used here, but I do not…
    it_user678153
    Agile Coach & Sr. Project Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Jun 6, 2017
    One of the valuable features is the adaptability of the Scrum and Kanban boards. Permissions need more refinement.

• "The adaptability of the Scrum and Kanban boards for other uses, with careful use of the customization features."
    • "Ease of administration and customization. It is really clunky in this area."

What other advice do I have?

Ensure that your admins learn by first installing to a QA server for experimentation, if you are doing it on-premises. As for those learning it in the cloud version, create dummy projects, categorize them as such, and be careful about how many changes you make at once.
    Matt Mullaney
    Partner at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    Jun 5, 2017
    The configurable workflows and boards enable us to execute and oversee our own unique process.

• "The configurable workflows and boards make it easy for us to execute and oversee our own unique process."
    • "There are some minor quirks, such as zero-point stories not appearing in the portfolio scope."

What other advice do I have?

Establish a basic project management methodology and workflow first, with clear roles and responsibilities, and then use this product to execute. It is only as effective as you are disciplined in your sprint planning and execution.
    Aimee White
    Info Sec Consultant at Size 41 Digital
    ExpertTop 5
    Jun 1, 2017

• "Perfect for keeping track of large amounts of bugs, tasks queries and releases for fixes."
    • "There's been the odd amount of JIRA downtime (not self hosted) and sometimes tickets that can't be accessed."
    it_user147543
    CEO at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
    Dec 25, 2016
    Easy to configure, fast to configure, extremely powerful workflows & schemes. I'd like better JIRA Agile integration.

What other advice do I have?

It rocks simply.
    it_user517977
    Senior Test Analyst at a maritime company with 51-200 employees
    Nov 24, 2016
    We can keep stories, bugs, and documentation in one application, and create swim lanes for organizing work.

What other advice do I have?

This product is easy to set-up. There are many add-on applications to assist you further to manage all requirements such as Confluence for document control, Capture for testing, etc.
    it_user159375
    Principal Program Manager at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Sep 30, 2016
    Great tool for issue/task tracking, customization workflow, and 3rd party software integrations.

What other advice do I have?

JIRA is tool. As with any tool, it needs to be in the hands of the right person to be used effectively. The administrator and/or trainer in your company should be very competent with JIRA, as they will be leading the effort. JIRA is powerful, but what truly makes it a powerful tool is integration with other Atlassian packages and third-party software. JIRA should almost always be used in conjunction with Confluence. There are many integrations available such as GitHub and many other applications.
    it_user446067
    Managing Director Business Change and Quality Assurance at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island
    Sep 1, 2016
    Using this for backlog prioritization is the key to either kanban or scrum processes.

What other advice do I have?

Review all your use cases for the tools to see if Atlassian matches up nicely to those you need; makes integration easier when all are from one provider. Be sure you understand what you are licensed for and what costs extra. For example, do you need portfolio management? Because, if you do, it's an extra cost.
    it_user302112
    Senior Consultant IT Infrastructure at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    Aug 2, 2016
    User friendly and since it's structured, it's easy to ask people from non-technical departments to use it as well.
    it_user372507
    Sr. Business Analyst / Product Owner at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jan 20, 2016
    We spend hours and sometimes days looking through completed stories in order to determine how to manage a defect in our existing system.
    it_user323262
    Technical Test Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Oct 31, 2015
    It provides us with a view of historic changes that are recorded, but it needs to improve its QA.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, and I would back it every time.
    DanielM
    Manager HRO Application Development at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Sep 23, 2015
    It was designed to follow software development projects, but we also use it for our call centers to follow on "Learning Administration System" processes. But, its administration could be easier.
    it_user226503
    Sr. Test Analyst at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
    Sep 23, 2015
    JIRA can be used as a Test Management tool but there are a few areas which need to be improved as compared with HP ALM.
    it_user4995
    Senior Manager of QA at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    Aug 15, 2015
    User friendly, easy to set up and maintain....

Valuable Features:

User friendly, easy to set up and maintain. Great integration along other Atlassian tools. Application can be enhanced either with free plug-ins or you can create your own.

Improvements to My Organization:

Seamlessly merged efforts between quality and R&D.

Room for Improvement:

Missing a Requirement Management piece on the suite.
    it_user279996
    Test Manager/Senior Testing Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Aug 3, 2015
    It doesn't provide version control for Test Cases, but its support for agile is fantastic.

What other advice do I have?

If you are an agile development team, go for it. I would advise that f your dev team have problems accessing HP Quality Center, go for it and integrate Jira with Quality Center.
    it_user229578
    COO with 51-200 employees
    Jul 29, 2015
    The Service Desk feature allows us to keep us and our clients on the same page for invoicing and project status, but it needs more options for alerts and an enhanced Service Desk module.

What other advice do I have?

Then they look into the systems and realize what risks there are and are usually slow on the uptake to designate these systems as Class A or B critical systems. They may be surprised at how many individual systems have sprouted across their organizations. You can find yourself in an organization with multiple JIRA instances due to the grass roots nature of adoption, with dozens of workflows and hundreds of custom fields in each instance. It can be a lot of work to pull these together under compliance and DevOps. Would be much easier to accept these tools as mission critical, or at least…
    it_user136773
    Tech Lead at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
    Jul 8, 2015
    Agile with the GreenHopper plugin is most valuable to us, but it should have CLI or some other deployment mechanism that prevents duplicate efforts.

Valuable Features

Defect Management, Issue Management, and the GreenHopper plugin with Agile.

Room for Improvement

They should provide CLI or some other deployment mechanism that improves productivity by avoiding duplicate efforts.

Use of Solution

6 years as a user, and 1 month evaluation period

During an upgrade we found an issue.

Yes, this is not stable as compared to other tools I managed.

Yes, scalability is an issue. Performance decreases.

Customer Service: 7/10 Technical Support: 7/10

Straightforward

Implementation Team

Ourselves

ROI

I would rate it a 5 on scale of 10, but again it depends how large is the team, company size, overall…
    it_user265974
    Manager at a outsourcing company with 501-1,000 employees
    Jul 5, 2015
    This tool has some good bug tracking features, but its filtering needs work.

What other advice do I have?

This tool has some good bug tracking, issue tracking and project management features. One of the best feature is its integration with other tools which I love, but at the same time, it has some limitations as well. This is a great product, but I always say before jumping into using it, go through the user guide. Also, if possible, look for some tutorial videos to get the full use of its functionalities.
    it_user209952
    Lead Technical Solutions Architect at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
    Mar 18, 2015
    I like the usability for our users and flexibility for our admin.

What other advice do I have?

Keep it simple. . . minimize the add-ons and customizations!
    it_user208314
    Manager and Platform Owner at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Mar 15, 2015
    TAM helps us with understanding the limitations of tools, suggested sizing and approach for operation teams.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend buying premier support for half the price and training your folks internally. It’s really not at all what we felt was advertised.
    it_user204951
    Systems Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Mar 8, 2015
    Allowed us to not waste time with dead ends, better focus, and get to root cause much faster.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell people to understand your growth and usage up front – really comes down to understanding that and keeping it under control. We grew too fast and weren’t prepared for the issues that came with that; you want to make sure you have a good performance testing environment in place, datacenter etc. so you’re not scrambling afterwards.
    it_user192336
    Engineering Manager at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Mar 2, 2015
    TAM gave us product advice that was able to save a department of 300 people roughly 4 hours a night.

What other advice do I have?

As an Enterprise customer, evaluate what you really need. If it's tech support above/beyond what comes with the subscription, go with the Enterprise tech support instead. TAM is when you really need/want an advocate within Atlassian. For instance, our program and product management groups set up an on-site meeting with our TAM to discuss JIRA Portfolio, and they were able to ask questions of the Portfolio product manager as well as the TAM after a solid demo. Without a TAM in place, this type of thing would have been impossible short of sending everyone to the Atlassian Summit (User…
    it_user158856
    Sr. Project Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Oct 27, 2014
    Jira has gone from being a simple bug tracker to a full development planning suite; so SO many areas could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Before making a decision have a look at the requested features and bug fixes – see what has not been addressed and what the plans are to address the features of greatest interest to you.
    it_user150906
    Head of IT Department at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Sep 17, 2014
    Very customizable and has a modular structure. Would be nice to be able to save drafts for issues.

What other advice do I have?

The main thing you should think about before you start implementing JIRA is ask yourself - "What result do I want to get from the solution? What problems do I have? What problems do my employees have? You should dream about your ideal team of employees and you must make your dreams a reality, and JIRA will help you with it".
    it_user464679
    Resource Manager / JIRA System Admin
    Sep 4, 2014
    Fairly easy to use for users but steep learning curve for admins.

What other advice do I have?

The most frustrating part of implementing a new management system is "you don't know what you don't know", so it's easy to miss which questions to ask or requests to make. JIRA has a LOT of knobs and levers to pull and is many layers deep in it's setup. If you're not intimately familiar with its offerings, I highly suggest using a consultant or vendor to help step through the implementation. I also suggest being specific in needs and wants. We’ve found JIRA is flexible enough to adapt to our needs more often than we have to adapt to its offerings.
    it_user150291
    Senior Executive, IT Developer at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
    Sep 4, 2014
    Our development team and it's functional staff have gained a better overview of the issues that are being worked on

What other advice do I have?

Go for it!
    it_user149535
    IT Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Aug 31, 2014
    Cost effective application if you are looking to do application development, request fulfillment, incident management...

What other advice do I have?

This is a very cost effective application if you are looking to do application development, incident management, request fulfillment, problem management, knowledge management, or project tracking at a low maturity.
    it_user147549
    Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Aug 20, 2014
    My deployment was expensive due to the complexities I implemented. Other deployments have been less expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Read the online documentation, know what processes and procedures you wish to implement first, and keep it simple. Workflows can collapse under their own weight if they're overly complex for the sake of complexity, simply because "that's just the way things have always been done". Simplify simply simplify.
    it_user147237
    Product Development Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Aug 19, 2014
    I like the agile board functionality, dashboards & JQL. I would like to see JQL extended to return other types of info.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend JIRA Agile to anyone looking for a mature, easy to use and customizable issue tracking system, especially in the context of large, geographically distributed teams. I also believe it is important not to spend excessive time trying to configure it to cover every process and situation from the very beginning, but to focus on the essentials first and then adapt as the project evolves.
    it_user6912
    Owner with 51-200 employees
    Mar 6, 2014
    Pros: Flexible, Open-ended, Useful default values and fields. Cons: Deep and complex, it takes a while to familiarize
    Want Project Management Tool? I tried OpenProject.org and got frustrated with its performance (because it's Ruby-based ?) and skimpy features. That was what pushed me to go ahead and spend the princely sum of $30 (one time) for JIRA, and two modules (Agile, and Stash, which is a Git web UI), and what deal I've got myself. JIRA is a platform. And because it is a platform, it is open-ended at what we can use it for. And it's written in Java, deployed in a Tomcat instance, and it gives *me* the choice of which database to use. Kudos for the development team for not strapping customers with MySQL. Installation As painless as Wordpress, which is very good. Have a database created (I use PostgreSQL) with its user and password to fill into the web-based installation wizard, and also your SMTP…
    it_user6381
    Manager of Infrastructure at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
    May 5, 2013
    JIRA is good once you've gotten the project started.
    it_user795
    Senior Manager of QA at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
    Sep 16, 2012
    JIRA is a versatile tool with good support and is cost effective.
    it_user1227
    Tech Support Staff at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Jul 20, 2012
    Project management and bug tracking tool suitable for small to medium organizations. Supports a large number of 3rd party plugins

What other advice do I have?

Jira is one of the best bug tracking, issue tracking and project management tools available in the market. It can be easily integrated with various 3rd party plugins related to project management, source code control systems, code review systems etc. Jira user interface is not very good, but is pretty decent. It is primarily suitable for small and medium organizations
    it_user1158
    Developer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jul 15, 2012
    Excellent Project Management platform for bug/issue tracking with support for SVN, CVS, etc. integration.

What other advice do I have?

Having used JIRA for the last 2 years, I can definitely say that having this tool with you is a big plus when it comes to project management. Plugin architecture and support for the popular version controls systems like SVN, CVS, etc., which makes it even better. Although, there is still room for improvement in areas like user interface and the search functionality which doesn't support arbitrary AND/NOT/OR queries.
    it_user1023
    Director of IT at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Jun 28, 2012
    Features great, extensibility not bad, the price good. If you are looking for an issue/bug tracking tool, and want a little more than the open-source alternatives, Jira is a great choice.

What other advice do I have?

Jira is a bug and issue tracker primarily intended for software development. We use Jira internally to track all engagements within our team; as well as track bugs and issues for the web apps we develop. Jira is a very customizable product. It has a built in field builder that essentially lets you choose what fields you want to capture for your project. You can configure Jira’s custom fields at a system-wide, project specific and/or issue type level. Jira’s reporting component (or ‘filters’) make it easy to extract the information you want out of the system in several formats. Finally, Jira’s…
    it_user942
    Sales at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Jun 22, 2012
    Gets the job done (well)

Valuable Features:

Straightforward system that gets the job done. Easy to use and user-friendly.

Room for Improvement:

This may not satisfy complex enterprise requirements that need a customizable platform.

Other Advice:

Good investment.