Juniper Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Juniper Ethernet Switches is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Ethernet Switches. It is most often compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: Juniper Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches

What is Juniper Ethernet Switches?

Juniper Ethernet Switches are made up of the EX Series product line. These EX Series Ethernet Switches provide branch, campus and data center networks with access, aggregation and core layer switching solutions. The end result is secure, fast and efficient application and data delivery.

Today's enterprise networks increasingly demand mobile access, optimal availability, virtualization, and unified communications. The Juniper Ethernet Switches EX Series caters for all of these requirements, ensuring business continuity, network flexibility and maximum productivity.

Juniper Ethernet Switches is also known as Juniper EX Series.

Juniper Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Juniper Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Juniper Ethernet Switches Customers

BlackLotus, Staminus, Community Bank, BAS Group, Cloud Dynamics, Privalia, Fluidata, and Tesla Motors.

Juniper Ethernet Switches Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Juniper Ethernet Switches pricing:
  • "The Juniper switches are less expensive than competing brands."
  • "Their prices are competitive and not bad. It is cheaper than Cisco. We have a yearly license."
  • "Juniper costs less than the competition. As a comparison, Cisco is 33% more."
  • "The maintenance cost is approximately €2,000 ($2,200 USD) per year, including support, for our entire fleet."
  • "We purchased the box for a one-time charge, and we are paying a yearly support fee of several hundred Euros."
  • "The pricing for the support is very high."
  • "You don't need to license every switch. We only chose to cover support on core/key equipment and keep a cold spare available when needed."

Juniper Ethernet Switches Reviews

MM
Specialist in Network Security at RayanCo
Flexible admin features and has good firewall filters

• "This is a lower cost product with better features than the competition."
  • "The operating system, Junos OS, often has bugs which forces rollbacks or additional upgrades to resolve."

What is our primary use case?

We use the layer three switches. We use it for routing, separating the VLANs, and for inter-VLAN routing. Also, we use the product's firewall filters.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us another, better option for clients in switching technology.

What is most valuable?

In general, and when I am talking about the Juniper SRX switches that have the Junos operating systems, I find that the admin features are very flexible. For example, the rollbacks or commit confirmed work very well. Fifty configurations can be saved and restored easily. These things are very good for us because it helps us to troubleshoot or to maintain the system. When we have remote access to a device, we can be sure that a process does not get disconnected.

When you want to change a lot of parameters in a configuration, you make your changes and then you can initiate a commit and all the changes will be saved and will be enforced when the device is activated. These features are available in the Juniper switches with the Junos OS. They are very wonderful and powerful capabilities that are unique to the Juniper switching solution. For example, Cisco or FortiGate do not have similar features or they are not very good with these capabilities.

What needs improvement?

To make the product better, I think that the company needs to do more testing before releasing versions of the operating system. In many versions, there are bugs in the Junos OS. For example, with some versions of the Junos OS, a specific function or some functions do not work correctly and you have to then change to another version to get the functionality back or make the product stable. Some versions of the Junos OS can create problems in integrations with Citrix and of course in other platforms because the OS has some bugs that cause instability. When you are using or when you find a stable OS, everything works okay. But I have had many experiences with some versions of Junos OS that have bugs and I am forced to migrate to another version of the OS either as an upgrade or even a downgrade. It will work in the end, but it should not be necessary to discover if an OS version is good or not.

Something that I might like to see added to Juniper switches is the opportunity to use some NAT (Network Address Translation) features with it. I am not sure if it is possible or not. But having some NAT features would be nice and offer some other kinds of flexibility.

We have been using Juniper Ethernet Switches for a little less than two years.

I think for the most part it is a really a very stable product. When I use a stable Junos OS the stability is okay. Some of the OS versions are not so good because they have some bugs, and this can cause some issues with stability. But these are only temporary issues that are resolved by choosing which OS version to use and which to avoid. We have some devices on Juniper that have been running for more than one or even two years without any downtime. We have not had stability issues and we have not had to restart. It really demonstrates stability when you have examples where we have uptime of more than two years without any problems.

I think Juniper is scalable in some ways. Really as far as this capability, I would say it is good, but that scalability is in the middle in the category of switches.

The number of users who are using this solution is harder to estimate for our clients than it is within our own company. If we are talking about Juniper Ethernet, one client project that we have has between 200 or 250 people. Nearly 40% of the users are going to be systems engineers.

There are a variety of user and organizational types. Some of the users are office workers and some of them are engineers. Some of them work in financial jobs and some of them are more on the business end. There are a variety of people using the products.

I have not personally really had a reason to contact Juniper's technical support directly. There has been no need because most of the time — it is really 95% of the time — I can say our problems are easily solved by the knowledgebases or forums or by just changing the Junos OS.

In our company, someone had to contact support because we had some problems with some of the licenses. In that case, we did get support to help us to fix the problem. It was not really a problem with the product, it was about the license only. I do not know about the technical support services directly but I do know the issue was resolved.

In our location, there are not so many companies using Juniper Switches. The use of this brand is somewhat limited here because Juniper is not so popular and is unfortunately not as well-known as other product brands. Cisco switches are much more popular and I have used Cisco switches a lot — more than any other brand — for our clients. I also have experience with Tricom Switches and also with Extreme Networks switches and some experience with Fortinet solutions. We could use any of these depending on the client and the situation. As far as switching from one product to another, that is not exactly what we do. Because we are a reseller we have to have various solutions available, so we keep them all as opportunities for our clients as long as we have tested them and they are good solutions.

When it came to Juniper, while we had other options, we were really interested in checking out the product and examining how the Juniper switches worked in comparison to the other more popular brands. Because our tests and experience with the product confirmed that it was a good option, we have tried to convince our customers to buy the Juniper solution because it is a good solution and works well even if it was not so popular. We somehow have convinced a few clients to agree to buy the Juniper Switches to this point. But even though we are promoting Juniper, most of the time our clients are gravitating to what they are familiar with and that means purchasing Cisco because they think that the Cisco solution is better just because of the name.

Another reason that the clients would think the Cisco products were better for them is not only because they do not know the Juniper brand name. One of the other main reasons is that a technical people who have experience in working with Juniper devices are much more scarce than technical people who know how to configure Cisco switches. The product and the name might not be the problem but finding technicians who could work with the solution is the problem instead.

The initial setup is not complex. It is usually easy. It depends. If you understand the concepts of working with the product — if you already have some experience with it — it is easy to work with it. But if you do not have the experience and do not get the concept, it might seem to be unfriendly. If you can work with it a little and get the concept of how it works and how you should configure it, then it becomes a really friendly format.

I think it took about one week to configure and deploy the switches. Of course, sometimes we were not working just on that for a whole day, so the number of hours working just on that deployment is something I can not say exactly. But in about one week the deployment was complete. It could have been done faster if it were the only thing that we were concentrating on.

Most of the time, I do the deployments by myself. But when I have some problems, we have a team that can help out. I might ask them, or I might use the knowledgebases on the internet or search on Google to find solutions. Most of the time there are good, long articles on Juniper's site or in one of the forums that can help me to resolve any issues. There is a lot of knowledge that is readily available. Juniper takes care to publish many good articles. 95% of the time, it is not really hard to solve a problem. If I just go and do a little searching, I can find the information I need to resolve any problem.

The exact licensing is not something I know about, but I do know that Juniper is a less expensive solution when compared to the competition.

Because of some limitations as in regulations or client business requirements, we can not always work with cloud solutions or solutions that run on VMs. There are some solutions I might like to consider, but for the most part, our market will not accept certain solutions. Often we have to work with on-premises hardware and that makes a difference in availability.

We are continuing to evaluate other solutions in order to be able to meet our clients' needs. The regulations and perception of products may change over time. We use Juniper in our company because we think it is the better solution and we do not have restrictions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people who are considering using Juniper switches is to try them out because the Juniper brand is very good. I myself really like the Juniper devices because, in comparison to other products in this category, they are a very good value and are worth much more than the cost. These switches are much more stable and you have better performance than the other guys, so long as you are aware of the potential issues with the OS. I think I can say this in one sentence: you can have better performance at a lower price if you choose Juniper.

The biggest lesson I have learned from using Juniper Ethernet switches — besides the fact that the most popular name is not always the best product or the best solution — is that using the commit confirmed feature instead of just committing is very valuable. It can help you to be sure your commit is successful. If it is not for whatever reason, the product deals with the issue. After a certain amount of time, the product can roll back automatically if something did not commit successfully. Not all products have anything like this feature.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Juniper Ethernet Switches as a nine overall. It is a nine and not a ten because there should always be room for product improvement.

Private Cloud
MN
Network Admin at a government with 11-50 employees
Excellent scalability and good feature-set, pricing, and support

• "The thing that sets Juniper apart from most switches is that when you're in the command line and you make a configuration change, you just write the command and then say "commit confirmed minutes". For example, I'm configuring a switch here in my office, which is five miles away, and I say, "commit confirmed 5". If I can't get back to the interface within five minutes to be able to make sure the switch came up, it rolls back to the previous configuration. This way I do not get locked out, or the switch doesn't get messed up because of the incorrect configuration. That's an automatic feature, which is pretty slick. I haven't seen that feature with other vendors that I've worked with. That's probably my most favorite feature."
  • "The initial setup for Juniper switches is complex. Juniper has a new program that solves that problem a little bit, but it is expensive, so I don't use it. It is Juniper Mesh, Juniper Wire, or something like that where you plug in a switch, and it goes out to their cloud, finds a config, and brings it down. So, you can do everything cloud-based, but there is a fee for that. It is expensive, so I've never used it. If we were starting, we would try to do something like that. It is more for a large enterprise for managing hundreds of switches versus what we're doing. They should make its price more cost-effective or include it for new or smaller companies."

What is our primary use case?

We use it across our whole environment. We use it for everything from our core to our edge. It is basically deployed everywhere. A good percentage of our Juniper switches are in a stacked array. For example, we do four 48-port switches for a wiring closet in a building. They're all stacked together, and they call it ActivChassis. Most companies, such as HP, ADTRAN, also do the same kind of thing. So, we do a virtual chassis formation in our wiring closet. For smaller buildings that only need one switch, we do a single switch at the distant end.

We have a lot from the 2300 Series. We have one 3300 and quite a few from the 3400 Series. We also have one 4550, and we have also been buying the 4350 series ones.

What is most valuable?

The thing that sets Juniper apart from most switches is that when you're in the command line and you make a configuration change, you just write the command and then say "commit confirmed minutes". For example, I'm configuring a switch here in my office, which is five miles away, and I say, "commit confirmed 5". If I can't get back to the interface within five minutes to be able to make sure the switch came up, it rolls back to the previous configuration. This way I do not get locked out, or the switch doesn't get messed up because of the incorrect configuration. That's an automatic feature, which is pretty slick. I haven't seen that feature with other vendors that I've worked with. That's probably my most favorite feature.

A nice thing about Juniper is that they also have a GUI interface, and it is a little bit better than most other vendors. Their GUI interface does more than a lot of other vendors.

Another nice thing about Juniper is that their training is available for free on their website. I wanted to get certified with Juniper, and I did it for free. On the entry-level exam, they pay for 75% of the exam if you take it through their website.

What needs improvement?

The negative of Juniper is that their command-line coding is a lot different than any other vendor, so there is a fairly steep learning curve to it.

The initial setup for Juniper switches is complex. Juniper has a new program that solves that problem a little bit, but it is expensive, so I don't use it. It is Juniper Mesh, Juniper Wire, or something like that where you plug in a switch, and it goes out to their cloud, finds a config, and brings it down. So, you can do everything cloud-based, but there is a fee for that. It is expensive, so I've never used it. If we were starting, we would try to do something like that. It is more for a large enterprise for managing hundreds of switches versus what we're doing. They should make its price more cost-effective or include it for new or smaller companies.

One advantage that Cisco has is that there are a billion people who use it, so there are a lot more publications or books, whereas, with Juniper, you really can't find a current book. Everything that you have is from their website. They have a lot of documentation on their website, which is good, but if you're a person like me who likes having a hardback book, you're not going to find one that's current. If I wanted to be at home and learn something and read about it, I won't be able to do that. It is going to be a PDF, so you either have got to print it out, or you have to read it online. Sometimes, being older and having bad eyes, that's not good.

We probably started using it four years ago.

Its stability is good.

Its scalability is excellent. It is being used extensively. We're going to finish off other vendors this year. It is going to be all Juniper.

Their technical support is good. Our experience with them has been good.

We have been supporting three different vendors: HP, ADTRAN, and Juniper. Our environment was getting old. So, we just started replacing things that were ten or eight years old. This year, we're replacing everything so that we're just one shop, and we don't have to support three different vendors. It is tough to support three different OS, so that's why we are finishing others off.

Juniper's GUI interface is a little bit better than most other vendors, but Juniper's command line is tougher than HP. HP has the easiest interface. On an HP switch, you can just write a command, and it automatically knows where to go. Juniper has a very hierarchal kind of structure, and you have to be within that framework of what you're trying to do to make that change. That's why it is a little bit harder. Juniper commands are also a little bit longer, but it is easy to fill out commands by using a question mark or a tab. It'll then auto-fill if you're typing it correctly, which is nice.

Juniper is better in terms of if you make a mistake. When you make a command mistake on HP, you don't necessarily get to know. On Juniper, if you're using a command and you get it all set up, and then you hit commit, it won't commit if there is a syntax error or some other issue. It will tell you that there is an error and you got to fix it. It also tells you what it is, but knowing the commands is the hard part.

It was complex. The first few that we got were tough, and sometimes, they still can be tough. It has definitely a steep learning curve. If you are an organization that has never used it before, it is going to be tough.

If you know what you're doing, you can get a switch done in a couple of hours. If you're new, it is going to take you days to weeks, depending upon how much you want to get it to work. So, it is kind of complex.

I use SecureCRT to configure all my switches, which replaces Putty and is made by VanDyke software. It is not that expensive and costs around $90. Using SecureCRT has made things easier for me, and it has really helped me with Juniper. If you're familiar with Putty, it works really well. It gives you options to store all of your commands. So, when I'm building a new switch, I have all the commands that I normally use, such as the commands to set up the IP address or a route. I don't have to memorize the commands. I can just double-click the set route command and then just change a variable.

For the first two switches, we used the reseller from whom we bought the switches. Someone from their company came in and installed the first two switches. After that, we looked at his configs and figured out how to do it, and since then, we did it on our own. Our experience with the reseller was good.

Maintenance is handled by two of us in my department, but we do so many other things. We are Network Admins.

Their prices are competitive and not bad. It is cheaper than Cisco.

We have a yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

It has more features than I'm currently using. Their support is fine, and their prices are also competitive. It is cheaper than Cisco, so I would definitely recommend it over Cisco because of the price.

Juniper provides training for free on their website. You can do all their courses for free through their website. I would highly recommend doing these courses. They are free, which is awesome. You're not going to get free Cisco courses.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10. The only reason for not giving it a 10 is its high learning curve. In terms of capabilities and feature set, it is right up there.

Learn what your peers think about Juniper Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
540,694 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Neil Griggs
CEO at Enterprise Design Group
An impeccable solution that services any size business and competes with the biggest brand names

• "One of the nicest things about Juniper switches is they work well with other vendor products. When you have to go into a situation where other vendor switches are present, you can make it work."
  • "You willuse almost every feature on every switch to some degree because the utility is valuable."
  • "There is no end to the ability to scale Juniper."
  • "This solution is impeccable."
  • "The security features for the product should be more unified for the product regardless of the product model."
  • "We need to start seeing some kind of AI to assist with some of what we really want to accomplish from a policy standpoint to achieve better efficiency."

What is our primary use case?

A lot of our deployments are hybrid cloud that we do for clients. We are personally using an on-premises installation.

Our clients' use cases for Juniper Ethernet Switches are pretty broad as far as the industries covered. There are clients that are urgent care facilities, physician's offices, legal offices, restaurants — it really runs across the boards as far as industries. The USDA has a number of Juniper switches that we put in for them.

What is most valuable?

When you are doing switching for anybody — it could be Motorola or Sprint or a restaurant that is relatively small and has 45 employees — it does not matter. They all have the same PCI (Payment Card Industry) compliance needs. If they are in the medical industry in urgent care — like Duke Medical System or just a freestanding office — they all still have the same HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) compliance. When we are configuring switches, we are not only looking at port density in terms of the number of devices that are hooking to it. We are also looking at the VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network) configurations and a number of other things. Whether you are dealing with multilink, VLANs, being able to specifically control certain ports, control certain applications, or whatever, you are using almost every feature to some degree on every switch because the utility is valuable.

One of the nicest things about Juniper switches is they work well with other vendor products. When you have to go into a situation where other vendor switches are present, you can make it work.

What needs improvement?

Whether you are a Fortune 500 company or a small operation, you might have the same requirements for security features. There are security features related to Mac addresses that are present and high-end switches that lack some of the same flexibility in the lower-end switches. We may be talking about the difference between an EX2300 and an EX5500 model switch. It is the same manufacturer. It would be nice to have more of that security relevance in every level switch, regardless of the price tag or the model. It is just like the fact that you have the VLAN capability on all of them. I think the security features should generally be more available instead of scaled up and down with the product.

Going into the future, you will probably see more fully meshed networks that have multiple internet-facing routes. These should go in an SD-WAN on a fiber-based VLAN. You may have coax services like Spectrum or Cox Cable providing internet avenues. Or you may also have a 4G or 5G modem doing the same thing in providing additional connection avenues. In the end, I think that the switching on that type of architecture and the routing needs to get a little more intuitive.

Obviously, you can take care of the situation with routing tables and other methods. I think we are going to need to start seeing some kind of AI to assist with some of what we really want to accomplish from a policy standpoint to achieve better efficiency.

I have been using Juniper switches for probably a little over 15 years.

I love the stability of Juniper. I look for stability in this type of product. When I have to put my hands on something repeatedly because of problems — endemic or quasi failures, where the OS just kind of locks up and stops performing — I call them insanity failures. I rarely see that in Juniper or WatchGuard or any of those guys. I like that and that is why I lean toward using those products.

Is there an end to the ability to scale Juniper? If there is, I have never seen it and I would know because I do data center design. Before I did what I am doing now, I was a director of new technology for Sprint PCS. We equipped to handle a lot of routing and I do not know if there is a scalability issue in the end.

Our clients are a mix of industries that are small, medium, or large businesses. This product can service all of them. The scalability is really very good.

You always end up using technical support here and there for something. I would give them a pretty high rating. Some of that technical support I reached out for has been in design implementation. I think once we did have a DOA (Dead On Arrival) switch. But things like that are rare and Juniper is very responsive. They are always pretty responsive. Overall it is a good company.

I would give the technical support a nine. I do not know if there is any company that I know of whose technical support would rate as a ten-of-ten. I am saying they are a nine, but there really is nothing lacking compared to the competition.

The installation of Juniper switches is pretty much straightforward.

Juniper is less expensive than competing products and as much as 33% less than Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

Whether you are on the lower end of the business scale with a smaller portfolio, or whether you are a Fortune 500 or 1000 company, you can not go wrong with Juniper's back-end products. It is a cost-effective solution in comparison to the competition. I do not like to have to touch switches or routers or anything of that nature unless I am doing a new configuration or a firmware upgrade. The Juniper product helps me with that by having impeccable reliability.

Saying that this solution is impeccable could be the entirety of my review.

I have been a network architect for a long time. At one time in my career, I thought Nortel and Juniper were on par. They were the two best-engineered equipment supplier manufacturers out there from both a cost and performance standpoint. I had never been a big Cisco fan. The number one reason behind that is the per-port cost for Cisco is 30% higher than everybody else. Number two, they have too many proprietary protocols that are not friendly with what other technicians know. That is particularly true on their routers. I found that in practice, we had to reboot the Cisco products in enterprise and Fortune 500 company levels too many times. When you had 400 and 500 sites out there and you had to rebuild the routing tables, you were screwed. We did not ever have that same problem with Nortel or Juniper.

So I got a bad taste in my mouth from Cisco many years ago. I spend a lot of time in cybersecurity and I find the Cisco IOS is one of the most vulnerable and most often patched by comparison to other high-end vendors, like Juniper. I have very few problems with Juniper products and they are easy to configure. They do a good job and they just continue doing it for a long time.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product as a ten overall for where they are in technology, their solid engineering, and the product. That includes the software and the hardware.

Even the lack of a few features is not a point to knock them down to a nine because we are on a road where we are taking a trip. I do not care what the literature says, SD-WAN is still new. We are still pushing the envelope on how we want to use it and how we want to design our systems to work with it. I can not mark Juniper down for being on the cutting edge of innovation.

Darrin Khan
Compliance, Security & Testing Manager at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Easy to manage and provides a reliable core for our public-facing infrastructure

• "The ease of management through the command line interface is very good."
  • "It would be nice to have a more available list of modules that you can get for this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are using multiple EX4200 Virtual Chassis Stacks in an on-premises deployment.

The way we have it configured is that it is our core switch model that holds up our entire infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is reliability.

The ease of management through the command line interface is very good.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have a more available list of modules that you can get for this solution. One of the hardest things that I've found when I go looking for modules on those switches is actually finding a thorough list of them.

We have been using this solution for between five and six years.

The stability of this solution is rock solid. The only time we've had an issue is when one of the redundant power supplies shorted out. I don't think that this was the fault of the solution. Rather, I think it was due to a failed power line, perhaps a spike in power.

This solution is extremely scalable. We had to add a new line module and we were able to do it while it was hot, so we didn't have any downtime.

This solution makes up the core of our network, so everybody in the company relies on it. We're predominately web-facing, so it supports our public-facing infrastructure. It is difficult to estimate the number of users that it supports.

We have been in touch with Professional Services. They are excellent, and they're always on time.

The responses are timely and they're very knowledgeable. If they're unsure then they will quickly consult other team members. The engineers that are dealing with it won't just sit there and try to figure it out themselves. They'll engage other members in their environment as quickly as they can. They get the issue resolved, so it's great.

We were using a solution from Cisco previously, but we were having issues with those, which is one of the reasons that we switched to Juniper. From what I can remember, the Cisco solution was not able to get the throughput that we required. Also, we required the ability to do hot swap-overs of the devices.

One of the main things with Cisco is that any of the changes that you made were instant, whereas, with Juniper, we can actually stage the changes before we apply them. Also, for the Cisco product, it was a really, really expensive product range.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

The deployment took one day at each of two different sites.

I was on-site for the deployments, but we had a consultant come in and do it for us.

The maintenance cost is approximately €2,000 ($2,200 USD) per year, including support, for our entire fleet.

We evaluated other options including some by Cisco and HP.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking at this solution from an ethernet switching point of view, we don't use any of the in-depth features. We selected this solution for its reliability and ease of management on the command line.

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to plan it out in advance. Other than that, they're relatively straightforward. There are no major issues or items that I could call out as a problem. It's just a case of making sure that you plan our your deployment before you start.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

MB
Federal Field Systems Engineer at a government with 51-200 employees
Flexible, good performance, and easy to scale

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the Junos operating system."
  • "Some areas of technical support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers and we are vendor agnostic. We try to find a solution that best fits the customer's needs and this is one of the products that we implement for them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the Junos operating system. It's an open-source operating system that lets you use the programming languages with it, to tailor it. You can develop automation scripts with JSON or other different programming languages.

Most of the switches are SDN ready, they are 5G ready, and they are going to incorporate wireless into their switches.

It's a flexible platform.

In terms of speed, being the total processing speed and total bandwidth per box, they usually outpace most competitors.

Juniper Ethernet Switches meet the needs of just about every customer.

What needs improvement?

There are no weaknesses that I know of with Juniper.

When it comes to Juniper and other vendors such as Cisco, it comes down to pricing. Customers want value for the least amount of money.

Some areas of technical support could be better.

With this current company I have been using Juniper Ethernet Switches for two years but for me, I have worked with them off and on for 20 years.

This solution is stable, it's rock solid.

Juniper Ethernet Switches are scalable. If you want to scale, you can go from a small enterprise switch up to service provider-type switches, and the configurations are going to be the same.

Technical support is good. None of them are great, but I think they are pretty good. It depends on who you get, from level 1 and up.

From sales technical support, they are excellent. From technical support out in the field, they might be average. Experiences may vary.

Some can be technically smart, but they haven't had the experience of actually troubleshooting and going through scenarios.

I am mainly in sales support. If I have to go in and do some configuration, it's pretty straightforward.

It's not complex, but it is generally other SEs who configure the switches and routers.

What other advice do I have?

You can have Junos as your operating system but if you wanted to write a script to automatically update all of the versions of your software, you can do that automatically.

If you wanted to gather information, you can write a script using JSON, or Python. This is already available on the Junos operating system.

Cisco is the most popular, but if you have seasoned or experienced people like DevOps that write code and they are engineers, then Juniper would be the better choice because they have the flexibility to do that. Cisco is starting to catch up now, where you can automate Cisco's switches using the same methods. To this point, Junos has been way ahead of Cisco in that aspect.

Because of our relationship, customers can better pricing with us. Cisco tends to be a little higher.

Before getting started you have to know your network, know the current state of your network, and know what are the pain points of your network are. Do you see bottlenecks in your network? Is your equipment responsive? Is your data backing up, because you don't have enough bandwidth? There are many factors to consider and it depends on the network and where the switches are going.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

CornelCristea
Network and Service Development Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Works well for aggregating traffic and has a standard CLI between devices

• "The most valuable feature is that the CLI is the same on all of the Juniper devices, including routers, switches, and firewalls."
  • "The protocols can be tunneled, but on a global basis, not on an interface, and this is a feature that should be added."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for traffic aggregation. We connect multiple services to virtual infrastructure, connecting customers and aggregating traffic to the core.

We have an on-premises deployment.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see all of the features unified between platforms, families, and models. This would make it easier to upgrade later, without having to change the configuration.

We have been using this solution for three years.

We have not had any problems with these switches. They were stable when we put them into production and they are running things at the moment. We are doing a few things like aggregating the global balance between multiple lines, and we have had no issues so far.

We have a lot of traffic.

It is pretty scalable using virtual traffic. We are not using that feature, but I know that it can scale. There are different models that scale in different ranges.

We have a handful of administrators that work on these units, in addition to our customer base.

We have been in touch with Juniper technicians as well as with Juniper partners.

They are good. They know the product and they know what to propose. We didn't want too much in terms of advanced data center features, so we did not have any problems.

We have two other types of switches that we run in our data center. There are Cisco switches to handle a lower capacity, and we also have Extreme switches.

We purchased Extreme switches because we were given a good price at the time. However, it is a little bit harder to work with Extreme.

With our experience from the past, we found the initial setup to be straightforward.

We connected the console, started the IT manager, then configured the VLANs and the ports.

If you want an advanced configuration then it can be more complex because it can run in different modes.

There are different licenses available for these switches that are based on the features.

What other advice do I have?

There are many different types of switches in different categories. It is best to look, right from the beginning, at what features are needed. You do not want to pay for Enterprise licenses if you don't need those features.

Be sure to look at the right family in order to protect your investment in the future. For example, if you want to go from 1G to 10G to 25G, then they will need to buy a new product. Going from 10G to 25G can be done on the same machine if it is from the right family. The planning makes it easier to upgrade bandwidth in the future, protecting your investment.

This is a good product, but it is not extraordinary. It does the job.

SB
System Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable, high capacity switches but the pricing for support needs improvement

• "The virtual Chassis feature for stacking is good in general, with high bandwidth for the link, which is good."
  • "The management platforms for the network need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are solution providers. We offer many solutions to customers and the Juniper Ethernet Switches are part of our offering.

What is most valuable?

For switching, it's stable compared to others.

The switching capacity is very high, and the virtual Chassis feature for stacking is good in general, with high bandwidth for the link, which is also good.

Recently, they are offering cloud-ready switches for the same series. When you have decided to go for the cloud, there are switches that are ready for that.

What needs improvement?

The management platforms for the network need improvement.

The pricing for support needs to be reduced, and the lead time for the switches should be lower.

They may already be working on this but I would like to see improvements with visibility, analysis of the traffic, and similar features. When you compare with other manufacturers, they have to work in these areas more.

I have been using these switches since 2014, it's been for six years.

We offer the latest technology but sometimes from three to five years, and we are offering refreshment, and whatever has been announced by the industry.

These switches are stable.

It is easy to scale. They have a stacking feature so you can scale up, for certain series, up to 12 switches per rack. Also, in terms of distribution or core switches, they have modular devices so they can add cards and modules to scale up.

I have not contacted technical support directly. We have a different team who handle the technical requirements.

Because we are solution providers, we use many different versions.

The initial setup is somewhat straightforward.

The time it takes for deployment depends on the site by the situation, the customer requirements, and the size of the network. Normally, it doesn't take very long.

When you compare with others, it's almost the same thing.

The pricing for the support is very high.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend these switches, but what I would also highly recommend along with this new trend or new experience is to at least get training for Juniper configuration, at least the basics.

Training will help you be more familiar with it. You will at least have the basics in case of maintenance or troubleshooting.

Juniper has good documentation for its ethernet switches.

I would rate Juniper switches a seven out of ten.

D6B8
District Technology at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
Junos is extremely flexible and easy to pick up

• "Junos OS is extremely flexible and easy to pick up."
  • "The management tools are limited in their abilities, and suffer from upgrade problems."
  • "The updates are constantly breaking."

What is our primary use case?

We currently use Juniper for all of our switching/routing infrastructure. Core, aggregate, and access layers are all made up of Juniper components. We also procured and use Junos Space as well as Network Director.

How has it helped my organization?

We moved to Juniper from an outdated Cisco environment, so the immediate change was extremely dramatic (as it should be with any new vendor). In regards to Junos Space Network Director, we are able to have more visibility into the whole infrastructure than we were able to previously.

What is most valuable?

We have found Junos to be the most valuable feature. It is extremely flexible and easy to pick up. The layout (similar to .XML) does take some time to get used to, but there are commands you can use to help alleviate these concerns.

What needs improvement?

Updates and management tools:

• The updates are constantly broken, which has been a problem for years. You definitely need to read the release notes to understand the whole situation before upgrading.
  • The management tools are nice, but they are limited in their abilities. The tools suffer from upgrade problems.

Three years.

When upgrading to a new Junos version, we had to revert back once. We found out the chassis was having major problems. This was noted in the community forum. Stability for long term releases are pretty good seem to be stable, but keep in mind that upgrading to newer code might mean bugs.

There are no problems with scalability. The ability to add switches to a virtual-chassis means adding/removing is an easy task.

Support is hit and miss. Currently, we have had issues with support. Juniper called me back about a bad review. It was nice speaking to somebody on the phone. I felt that they were taking my concerns seriously.

We previously used Cisco and Extreme Networks. We switched due to our planned refresh cycle, as well as cost.

We had a vendor do the initial setup and configuration.

We don't track ROI.

We had an open bid process. We evaluated Cisco, Extreme Networks, Brocade, and Juniper.

What other advice do I have?

It works with third-party SFPs.

Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Juniper Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.