EM
Senior Systems Engineer at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Well-priced with good security options, but the monitoring capability could definitely be improved

• "The most valuable feature is switching on our network."
  • "Wireless and monitoring definitely could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution as the current network infrastructure in the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is switching on our network.

What needs improvement?

Wireless and monitoring definitely could be improved.

I would like to see better monitoring in the next release.

I have been using Juniper Ethernet Switches for five years.

The stability is very good.

The scalability is okay, it could be better. The configuration could be easier, and more simple.

We have approximately 500 users. All of the departments are on a campus-style network with shared buildings and one compound. All of them are interconnected with fiber and have users in multiple buildings. There are approximately 12 buildings.

When we are trying to troubleshoot, we will find the support-type documentation.

We haven't had any issues where we couldn't find the documentation.

Previously, we were using another solution that was not able to provide a certain aspect in terms of LAN security. That is the reason why we switched to Juniper.

We had another contender, Meraki, which is another Cisco product. In terms of management, monitoring seems better than Juniper.

The initial setup was complex.

It's was $100,000 per year.

There are no additional costs other than the licensing fee.

We were evaluating Cisco, HPE, and Juniper. The cost was a big factor in our decision to go with Juniper.

What other advice do I have?

We will be doing an upgrade internally, so we are a bit undecided on whether or not we will continue using this product, or a new solution altogether.

We are evaluating the price and system functionality.

It's not for the average user, you have to be more technical in order to use it. There are other solutions that are better, with a GUI and easier to use.

If you are comfortable with a pure command line or if you are looking for something simpler where the entire thing could look up the monitoring, support, and cost, I think there are other brands with more features.

I would rate Juniper Ethernet Switches a seven out of ten.

IR
Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to install, easy to use, and there is a lot of documentation

• "It's easy to use."
  • "The interface could be better. It needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for routing.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be better. It needs improvement.

We do everything in configuration files and it is not simple. It is quite complicated when you configure some rules for the firewall because it has several firewall levels.

In some switches, at times we have some issues, but it's on the infrastructure part and it's not the latest hardware.

In the future, I would like to see more standardized software. For example, some of the switches use some features that should be implemented in Juniper.

The software should be more stable.

I have been using these switches for more than four years.

We are not using the latest version.

We use Juniper MX960 and the QFX5100 for the core switch.

It's a stable product.

It's a scalable product.

We have millions of clients who are using this solution daily.

In our organization, we have 20 people who are using it.

We have not contacted technical support.

There is a lot of documentation that you can read whenever required.

Previously, we used Cisco. We switched because we run 100 switches and started to use the IPv6 and we were told that we had to pay $100,000 for the IPv6 license.

In Juniper, you will not have this issue because many of the licenses and a lot of software are already included in the basic version.

The installation was simple.

The configuration of the hardware took a few weeks because it was the first time we deployed it.

We have a team of two technical members to maintain this product.

We completed the installation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to anyone who is interested in using it.

We plan to continue using these switches in the future. It still works and it's quite stable.

I would rate Juniper Ethernet Switches a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Juniper Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HRaghavan
Manager - IT at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's easy for us to go back to previous working configurations to fix problems

• "It has features that allow us to go back to previous configurations."
  • "The initial setup of switches is not that simple."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a manager and we're a user and customer of Juniper. The primary use case is for our network connectivity, for our wireless access. We use it as a POP port and through the radio-network connectivity, it's used for all purposes, like wireless data and e-mails, whatever it is. We use it for video conferencing, basic network switching, really for all purposes. We have about 100 staff using the solution and at any one time, there are around 700 to 800 network divisors connected to the network.

What is most valuable?

We like Juniper switches because it has some features that allow us to go back to previous configurations. For example, if we change the configuration and there are problems, it's very easy for us to go back to previous working configurations. The company's technical support is also a valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

We don't have any issues with the product and as long as they continue giving good service it's fine for us. The price is competitive, and we use our online interface only and don't go through a GUI.

We don't have any pain points.

I've been using the solution for six years.

It's a very stable product.

It's scalable.

I'm very satisfied with the technical support.

We previously used Norton but switched a while ago.

The initial setup of switches is not that simple, but my team is made up of technical people so we understood it very fast.

We implemented it with an in-house team. We have a very big network, there were roughly around 80, 85 switches and firewall and core switches. In total, implementation took somewhere between six to eight weeks.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is regarding switches. If someone is deploying switches in a critical environment, they should go for Juniper switches.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Joris Van den Bergh
Team Leader Solution Specialists at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Integrates well, easy to use, helpful support

• "The solution is easy to use and has good integration."
  • "In an upcoming release, Juniper Ethernet Switches could improve by having more microservices."

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and has good integration.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Juniper Ethernet Switches for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable.

The scalability depends on the environment. For example, if the customer is in a healthcare environment then it is more scalable than other solutions.

We have approximately 30 large customers using this solution.

The technical support is very good. We can talk and have the support of the engineers who are developing the software and features.

We use many other switches, such as Aruba, Hewlett Packard, and Extreme Networks.

The installation is easy if you have certified engineers. You have to have some basic knowledge about the CLI of Juniper to do the installation.

The size of the team needed for the installation depends on the environment. However, we have approximately 10 certified engineers, which can do both, the installations and support of the solution. Additionally, we have architects, junior and senior consultants, and depending on the job we have to do, we can supply different types of engineers.

We have a partnership with Juniper and the price of the solution can be negotiated at a local or a corporate level with Juniper to meet our customer's needs.

There is a subscription payment model or you can purchase licenses on a one, two, and five-year basis. If you want decent support, the solution is not expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Juniper Ethernet Switches to others who want a well-integrated, stable, and easy-to-use solution.

I rate Juniper Ethernet Switches a nine out of ten.

FR
Head of Infrastructure Network & Security at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
A stable network component that supports the Spanning Tree Protocol

What is our primary use case?

We use Juniper Ethernet switches for managing resources in our network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Spanning Tree Protocol (STP).

What needs improvement?

The configuration could be made simpler.

I have been using Juniper Ethernet switches for three years.

This is a stable solution and we use it on a daily basis.

There are five people in my team who use the Juniper switches.

What is our primary use case?

We use Juniper Ethernet switches for managing resources in our network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Spanning Tree Protocol (STP).

What needs improvement?

The configuration could be made simpler.

I have been using Juniper Ethernet switches for three years.

This is a stable solution and we use it on a daily basis.

There are five people in my team who use the Juniper switches.

We have not been in direct contact with technical support from Juniper because we deal with a vendor in Indonesia. If we have problems that they are unable to solve then the request will be forwarded to the Juniper Technical Center.

I also have experience with Cisco Ethernet switches. I find that Cisco is simpler to work with but Juniper has a steadier configuration. We have more Juniper switches in the company.

The initial setup is simple, although there is some difference between different versions. The configuration is similar to Linux, so it was simple for me because I have Linux skills. The deployment will take between one and two hours.

We currently have an EX 2200 but we want to upgrade to an EX 4300.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I recommend it. It has been working fine, for us.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

ZP
Owner & General Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reliable, stable, and scalable solution

What is our primary use case?

We use Juniper Ethernet switches to connect to other switches and computers. We are a public service company providing the backbone network for our country. We have the highest level of concentration. We provide our services to some 45 other big operators because we are a carrier's carrier. Not all of this is on one switch as our network stretches across three countries and five cities. We have 12 data centers and not all of them use Juniper switches. We use Juniper switches in two central data centers, to which we connected 12 customers and 20 backbone instances.

What is most valuable?

The Juniper Ethernet switch feature I find the most valuable is reliability.

We have been using Juniper Ethernet switches for…

What is our primary use case?

We use Juniper Ethernet switches to connect to other switches and computers.

What is most valuable?

The Juniper Ethernet switch feature I find the most valuable is reliability.

We have been using Juniper Ethernet switches for three years.

Juniper Ethernet switches are stable.

Juniper Ethernet switches are scalable.

Juniper's 3rd level support could be much better and faster.

Local partner is perfect, but not almighty, we have to escalate some issues to Juniper.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Our in-house teams implemented the switches. Implementation takes a couple of hours because these are state of the art switches. We use the carrier-grade switches as we are a public operation and provide backbone connectivity to the whole country. So, deployment is not trivial in our case. It takes some time to meticulously plan and install these switches.

NV
Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Effortless, stable, scalable, and easy to install

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the firewall and switching.

What is most valuable?

I like the simplicity of it.

What needs improvement?

The upgrade procedures could be better.  The upgrading of the system should be simplified and made faster. In the next release, I would like to see them maintain the stability.

We have been using Juniper Ethernet Switches for seven years. We are using the latest version.

It is absolutely stable.

It's a scalable solution. We have approximately 200 users in our organization. We plan to continue using Juniper Ethernet Switches.

How are customer service and

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the firewall and switching.

What is most valuable?

I like the simplicity of it.

What needs improvement?

The upgrade procedures could be better.

The upgrading of the system should be simplified and made faster.

In the next release, I would like to see them maintain the stability.

We have been using Juniper Ethernet Switches for seven years.

We are using the latest version.

It is absolutely stable.

It's a scalable solution. We have approximately 200 users in our organization.

We plan to continue using Juniper Ethernet Switches.

I have not contacted technical support directly. We always go through the supplier.

We have only used Juniper.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The installation takes an hour per switch.

It takes a team of three admins to maintain this solution.

We did not use an integrator or vendor. I completed the implementation myself.

We only pay for support.

It's not expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would totally recommend Juniper Ethernet Switches to others who are interested in using them.

I would rate Juniper Ethernet Switches a ten out of ten.

FF
Vice President, Network Engineering at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Very good with MLPS

• "Juniper switches are very good with MPLS."
  • "The Virtual Chassis Fabric is kind of complicated to troubleshoot sometimes. On the MPLS side, they're good — they're fine for the pseudo-wires and stuff—but they need more work on the LAN. It is difficult to troubleshoot their LAN technologies like Virtual Chassis."

What is most valuable?

Whether a feature is valuable really depends on what you need. The features you enable depends on the requirement. Juniper switches are very good with MPLS. I haven't tried EVPN on them. They've got Virtual Chassis Fabric, which seems okay.

What needs improvement?

The Virtual Chassis Fabric is kind of complicated to troubleshoot sometimes. On the MPLS side, they're good — they're fine for the pseudo-wires and stuff—but they need more work on the LAN. It is difficult to troubleshoot their LAN technologies like Virtual Chassis.

I'm not sure whether EVPN-VXLAN DCI is supported today on these switches. If it's not, then that's something Juniper could add. They support EVPN, but I'm still not sure about the DCI part. I probably need to understand how that is implemented to figure out if it's supported.

I've used Juniper Ethernet Switches for about six years.

I think Juniper support is good. They're responsive, so I can't really complain.

I believe Juniper is a lot cheaper than Cisco. Their price isn't that high if I recall correctly. I believe it's reasonable compared to Cisco, so I think they are good on the price end.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Juniper Ethernet Switches Seven out of 10.

Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Juniper Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.