Juniper Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Juniper Ethernet Switches is #4 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. IT Central Station users give Juniper Ethernet Switches an average rating of 8 out of 10. Juniper Ethernet Switches is most commonly compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches:Juniper Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 35% of all views.
What is Juniper Ethernet Switches?

Juniper Ethernet Switches are made up of the EX Series product line. These EX Series Ethernet Switches provide branch, campus and data center networks with access, aggregation and core layer switching solutions. The end result is secure, fast and efficient application and data delivery.

Today's enterprise networks increasingly demand mobile access, optimal availability, virtualization, and unified communications. The Juniper Ethernet Switches EX Series caters for all of these requirements, ensuring business continuity, network flexibility and maximum productivity.

Juniper Ethernet Switches was previously known as Juniper EX Series.

Juniper Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Juniper Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Juniper Ethernet Switches Customers

BlackLotus, Staminus, Community Bank, BAS Group, Cloud Dynamics, Privalia, Fluidata, and Tesla Motors.

Juniper Ethernet Switches Video

Archived Juniper Ethernet Switches Reviews (more than two years old)

DA
Data Center Architecture and Planning at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good stability and extremely good scalability but doesn't offer very good integrations

• "The scalability is excellent. It's one of the aspects of the solution that is quite good."
  • "We are undergoing a migration to software-defined networking. Different vendors have to integrate with each other and we are not seeing this type of capability within Juniper. We are getting left behind in this technology trend by staying with this solution. Juniper is also losing a bit of market share because of this."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our data center.

What is most valuable?

The switches are pretty typical. They offer good control and good switching.

What needs improvement?

We're currently in the process of switching to Cisco as we haven't been too happy with Juniper.

I've been using the solution for between five and ten years.

The stability is good.

Technical support is not so good. Sometimes we contact them, but they don't offer the best service.

The initial setup is straightforward. I joined the company after deployment, so I'm not sure how long it takes.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd rate the solution no more than seven out of ten.

SK
Senior Network Engineer at Advanced Technologies
MSP
Easy to use and has a feature to rollback to the previous configuration

• "Juniper is the best when it comes to the core layer."
  • "The stability of this solution should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our network in an on-premises deployment. We also provide this solution to some of our customers.

We have twenty-one switches that control our data center, MPLS, and access points.

What is most valuable?

This solution is easy to use.

There is a rollback feature available after you commit the configuration.

Juniper is the best when it comes to the core layer.

I have been using this solution for four years.

If you are using Juniper as a router then the stability is better.

In the technical team, we have six users. In terms of end-users, we have more than sixty.

We have large, medium, and small customers who use this solution.

I have created only one ticket for technical support. The support was quick.

We also use HP switches.

I have used Cisco switches, but they do not have a rollback feature after you commit the configuration.

The initial setup of this solution is easy, although it takes a long time.

This solution is cheaper than Cisco or HP switches.

What other advice do I have?

The stability of this solution should be improved. We have a customer that is using Cisco switches, and they don't need to reconfigure it as often. It is less complicated to update or reconfigure, and we have had problems with needing to do so more than once.

Learn what your peers think about Juniper Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Darrin Khan
Compliance, Security & Testing Manager at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Easy to manage and provides a reliable core for our public-facing infrastructure

• "The ease of management through the command line interface is very good."
  • "It would be nice to have a more available list of modules that you can get for this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are using multiple EX4200 Virtual Chassis Stacks in an on-premises deployment.

The way we have it configured is that it is our core switch model that holds up our entire infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is reliability.

The ease of management through the command line interface is very good.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have a more available list of modules that you can get for this solution. One of the hardest things that I've found when I go looking for modules on those switches is actually finding a thorough list of them.

We have been using this solution for between five and six years.

The stability of this solution is rock solid. The only time we've had an issue is when one of the redundant power supplies shorted out. I don't think that this was the fault of the solution. Rather, I think it was due to a failed power line, perhaps a spike in power.

This solution is extremely scalable. We had to add a new line module and we were able to do it while it was hot, so we didn't have any downtime.

This solution makes up the core of our network, so everybody in the company relies on it. We're predominately web-facing, so it supports our public-facing infrastructure. It is difficult to estimate the number of users that it supports.

We have been in touch with Professional Services. They are excellent, and they're always on time.

The responses are timely and they're very knowledgeable. If they're unsure then they will quickly consult other team members. The engineers that are dealing with it won't just sit there and try to figure it out themselves. They'll engage other members in their environment as quickly as they can. They get the issue resolved, so it's great.

We were using a solution from Cisco previously, but we were having issues with those, which is one of the reasons that we switched to Juniper. From what I can remember, the Cisco solution was not able to get the throughput that we required. Also, we required the ability to do hot swap-overs of the devices.

One of the main things with Cisco is that any of the changes that you made were instant, whereas, with Juniper, we can actually stage the changes before we apply them. Also, for the Cisco product, it was a really, really expensive product range.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

The deployment took one day at each of two different sites.

I was on-site for the deployments, but we had a consultant come in and do it for us.

The maintenance cost is approximately €2,000 ($2,200 USD) per year, including support, for our entire fleet.

We evaluated other options including some by Cisco and HP.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking at this solution from an ethernet switching point of view, we don't use any of the in-depth features. We selected this solution for its reliability and ease of management on the command line.

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to plan it out in advance. Other than that, they're relatively straightforward. There are no major issues or items that I could call out as a problem. It's just a case of making sure that you plan our your deployment before you start.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

CornelCristea
Network and Service Development Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Works well for aggregating traffic and has a standard CLI between devices

• "The most valuable feature is that the CLI is the same on all of the Juniper devices, including routers, switches, and firewalls."
  • "The protocols can be tunneled, but on a global basis, not on an interface, and this is a feature that should be added."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for traffic aggregation. We connect multiple services to virtual infrastructure, connecting customers and aggregating traffic to the core.

We have an on-premises deployment.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see all of the features unified between platforms, families, and models. This would make it easier to upgrade later, without having to change the configuration.

We have been using this solution for three years.

We have not had any problems with these switches. They were stable when we put them into production and they are running things at the moment. We are doing a few things like aggregating the global balance between multiple lines, and we have had no issues so far.

We have a lot of traffic.

It is pretty scalable using virtual traffic. We are not using that feature, but I know that it can scale. There are different models that scale in different ranges.

We have a handful of administrators that work on these units, in addition to our customer base.

We have been in touch with Juniper technicians as well as with Juniper partners.

They are good. They know the product and they know what to propose. We didn't want too much in terms of advanced data center features, so we did not have any problems.

We have two other types of switches that we run in our data center. There are Cisco switches to handle a lower capacity, and we also have Extreme switches.

We purchased Extreme switches because we were given a good price at the time. However, it is a little bit harder to work with Extreme.

With our experience from the past, we found the initial setup to be straightforward.

We connected the console, started the IT manager, then configured the VLANs and the ports.

If you want an advanced configuration then it can be more complex because it can run in different modes.

There are different licenses available for these switches that are based on the features.

We purchased the box for a one-time charge, and we are paying a yearly support fee of several hundred Euros.

What other advice do I have?

There are many different types of switches in different categories. It is best to look, right from the beginning, at what features are needed. You do not want to pay for Enterprise licenses if you don't need those features.

Be sure to look at the right family in order to protect your investment in the future. For example, if you want to go from 1G to 10G to 25G, then they will need to buy a new product. Going from 10G to 25G can be done on the same machine if it is from the right family. The planning makes it easier to upgrade bandwidth in the future, protecting your investment.

This is a good product, but it is not extraordinary. It does the job.

KE
Service Manager at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to Setup Secured Networks, but local technical support is lacking

• "What I like most about this solution is that it is secure."
  • "It was very difficult to get technical support, here in Egypt. There is no local support available."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for the internal network, covering our entire office.

The deployment model we are using is on-premises.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about this solution is that it is secure.

What needs improvement?

They need to have more marketing in Egypt.

The technical support in Egypt needs to be improved because I was struggling to get technical support.

Having documentation provided in Arabic would be nice, but not necessary, as most everyone speaks and understands English well enough.

I would like to have customer support on the ground.

I have been using this solution for two years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

We have approximately twenty users, most of them are engineers.

It was very difficult to get technical support, here in Egypt.

There is no local support available.

Previously we used Cisco. From my understanding and from what I was told, it was complex, hard to handle, not customer familiar or customer friendly.

The initial setup is straightforward and it's easier than Cisco.

We did not implement this solution through a vendor, we had one of the team members do it. It wasn't that difficult.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

AM
External Plant Coordinator with 201-500 employees
User
Supports all our connectivity infrastructure in our datacenter

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is as a datacenter, as aggregation and access switches. They are also used in wireless nodes in the core switch segment receiving all last mile services, as in optical fiber.

How has it helped my organization?

Juniper supports all our connectivity infrastructure in our datacenter, supporting optimal availability and performance for services.

What is most valuable?

The Virtual Chassis, because you have a centralized administration of a set of switches which makes the operation more efficient.

What needs improvement?

Support prices and licensing scheme need to be improved to allow some features to be purchased at lower costs, for example, RPM.

Three to five years.

Which solution did I use

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

Three to five years.

We previously used Cisco.

We evaluated Brocade.

User at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
I'd like to see it's cost go down but it has optimal TCO

Valuable Features

Optimal TCO

Improvements to My Organization

It's not about improvement, it is more about optimal decision making.

Room for Improvement

Stability issues and its cost.

Use of Solution

Juniper EX series About 2-3 years

I haven't seen any issues with deployment.

Seldom

Standard questions about more clients ports on devices.

Customer Service: Good, but not the best.Technical Support: Good.

We had some questions, but that's it.

Implementation Team

We did some prep with the vendor team which was very helpful.

Other Solutions Considered

Cisco solutions and some others.

Valuable Features

Optimal TCO

Improvements to My Organization

It's not about improvement, it is more about optimal decision making.

Room for Improvement

Stability issues and its cost.

Use of Solution

Juniper EX series About 2-3 years

I haven't seen any issues with deployment.

Seldom

Standard questions about more clients ports on devices.

Customer Service: Good, but not the best.Technical Support: Good.

We had some questions, but that's it.

Implementation Team

We did some prep with the vendor team which was very helpful.

Other Solutions Considered

Cisco solutions and some others.
it_user90057
Owner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Pros and cons of both Cisco and Juniper configs, but you can see the benefit of why they organized it the way they did
After being primarily a Cisco user for many years, I find the switch to Juniper refreshing. The CLI is intuitive and I appreciate the hierarchy of the various configuration groups to be much more organized. I also think it is better with regard to config checking, and ensuring that the items entered into the config work with the rest of the config. For example if you happen to forget a line in a policy, or make an error in referencing a particular object, it will not let you commit the config. I know there are pros and cons of both configs, but once you get used to Juniper, you can see the benefit of why they organized it the way they did.

it_user82779
Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Benefits of Juniper vs Cisco
Both are decent products. I prefer Juniper for the following reasons: 1) Cleaner separation of data plane from control plane. Higher end Cisco devices are better at this but most of the lower end products still seem to be more integrated than I like. 2) The Hierarchical config design means I can make changes only in areas that concern me without necessarily impacting other areas. 3) Easier rollback when one makes mistakes 4) I think there are less bugs/vulnerabilities in Junos vs IOS. 5) iOS has too many flavors leads to confusion with deployment. One more advantage of junos over iOS. Juniper adheres closer to the standards than Cisco. Epigraph is nice, auto rp is cool, but with the less protocols in the standards it's much earlier to configure junos.

Both are decent products. I prefer Juniper for the following reasons:

3) Easier rollback when one makes mistakes

4) I think there are less bugs/vulnerabilities in Junos vs IOS.

5) iOS has too many flavors leads to confusion with deployment.

it_user5700
Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
I found it to be difficult to make the transition from Cisco to Juniper as far as the CLI goes.
Overall, the equipment is pretty good and more affordable than some other solutions. I found it to be difficult to make the transition from CISCO to Juniper as far as the CLI goes, maybe thats just me. I also had more than one instance where a switch would just stop working and I would have to reload the firmware on it and reconfigure it to get it back up and running. This caused me to purchase backup devices to minimize downtime and really cut into the cost savings over CISCO.

it_user2589
IT Administrator at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Impressive features but switches are facing tough competition

Valuable Features:

From the technology point of view quality, design, and look-and-feel is good. Network administrators can easily manage and configure these network switches. I have easily configured an L3 switch to create a network campus backbone. Low maintenance required. No certification (CCNA, CCIE) is required to become a network administrator to set up a Juniper network.

Room for Improvement:

During price negotiation we found that price is high compared to other switches. High price is obstructing sales in market. I felt that on-site and telephone support is not satisfactory.
Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Juniper Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.