Juniper QFabric OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Juniper QFabric is #8 ranked solution in top LAN Switching tools. IT Central Station users give Juniper QFabric an average rating of 8 out of 10. Juniper QFabric is most commonly compared to Cisco Nexus: Juniper QFabric vs Cisco Nexus. The top industry researching this solution is Comms Service Provider, accounting for 50% of all views.
What is Juniper QFabric?
Juniper QFabric System is composed of multiple components working together as a single switch to provide high-performance, any-to-any connectivity and management simplicity in the data center. The QFabric System flattens the entire data center network to a single tier where all access points are equal, eliminating the effects of network locality and making it the ideal network foundation for cloud-ready, virtualized data centers.The highly scalable QFabric System improves application performance with low latency and converged services in a nonblocking, lossless architecture that supports Layer 2, Layer 3, and Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) capabilities.

Juniper QFabric is also known as QFabric.

Download the LAN Switching Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Juniper QFabric Customers
MCB Bank
Juniper QFabric Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Juniper QFabric pricing:
  • "The price for Juniper QFabric could improve. There are subscription, maintenance, and add-on feature fees."
  • "In terms of price, the QFabric solution is going to be probably in the middle of the road for a fabric solution."
  • "The pricing is high."
  • "Juniper QFabric is a high-level solution but it could be less expensive."

Juniper QFabric Reviews

AH
Information Solutions Consultant at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Highly stable, straightforward CLI, and integrates well

• "The most valuable features of this solution are the fabric backplane having upwards of 160 GB of communication. It is a top-of-the-rack solution where you have your directors sitting in the main area and then you have your nodes expanded out to your multiple cabinets. It has a very good design and could be your server backbone."
  • "I do not use GUI's very much for switch stacks. I am always in the CLI. However, I do know that Juniper in the past has lacked on their GUI's, but they have been working on it."

What is our primary use case?

Juniper QFabric is a vendor solution for core switching and routing.

How has it helped my organization?

If you are having issues with congestion in your server backbone, or your network backbone, using a fabric solution helps you solve those issues by creating paths into the switching stack. QFabric works by having only two hops, which means you are only two hopes away from any node at one time because of the interconnected links.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the fabric backplane having upwards of 160 GB of communication. It is a top-of-the-rack solution where you have your directors sitting in the main area and then you have your nodes expanded out to your multiple cabinets. It has a very good design and could be your server backbone.

Juniper is good with automation, they integrate well with other tools, such as Chef Puppet.

The CLI is as straightforward. I have had no issues with their CLI and they have a lot of information and settings that are exposed that need to be.

What needs improvement?

Juniper has addressed a lot of areas that they needed to improve in the new fabric solutions that they released. They have a new fabric that uses the standard structure. QFabric is a smaller fabric and Juniper has adopted it to create an industry standard. When creating a new fabric they are able to expand beyond what QFabric's limitations were. I believe their limitations were 128 nodes but with the new solution, it has no end to the nodes you have.

The CLI could be a little confusing if you are new to a switching stack, and especially a fabric switching stack. If you do not understand how it is all architected it could be difficult. It is definitely not for beginners. They did their best to keep it simple, such as creating templates but it is such a complicated system that requires very high-level knowledge on entry. You have to understand what you are doing to play with the configuration of QFabric.

I have been using the solution for approximately eight years.

The solution is highly stable. In the time I have been using the solution I have not had one major issue.

This solution could improve on the nodes available. However, they have increased this in a newer fabric solution.

The technical support is amazing. They are responsive and handle cases extremely well.
Probably one of the better technical assistants that I have worked with over the years.

The initial installation is complex. It can also depend on how in-depth your architecture is. For example, are you going to be in layer three or are you just doing layer two? Is it going to handle dynamic routing protocols? If you are staying on layer two, how are you going to handle the subnetting in general? Are you going to be doing broadcasts? It all comes down to the architecture of the network itself.

The price for Juniper QFabric could improve. There are subscription, maintenance, and add-on feature fees. It is not meant for small or medium organizations. If you are looking at a fabric solution, you are going to be working with SE engineers to be able to get the solution in place. If I wanted to purchase it myself, I would never do it, it would not make sense. The use case for what QFabric solves is more for enterprises and ISP companies.

When evaluating other solutions Juniper QFabric has more features, functionality, and a solid base.

What other advice do I have?

For those wanting to implement this solution, I would advise them to definitely look at it carefully. Make sure that you understand what your needs are before you go and purchase and when you do work with a Juniper resource to be able to implement it effectively. There is a steep learning curve for this solution, but that is also true for other solutions, such as Cisco Nexus. You will not be able to pick up the knowledge to use this solution in a week.

I rate Juniper QFabric an eight out of ten.

AH
A robust and scalable solution with amazing technical support and a special setup that can detect what is connected

• "The 40 gig backbone InterConneX was valuable for our use case. It is even faster now. QFabric has spine-leaf technology or topology, which basically makes every single hop only one hop away in terms of connecting from one device to another. It is a pretty good and robust solution. It works pretty well in terms of scalability, and their technical support is amazing."
  • "They are working on the virtualization of the actual fabric layer. They are moving away from the original spine-leaf design to a different infrastructure. Instead of having three tiers, which was the director of the interconnected nodes, they cut them back, and they still have that kind of structure."

What is our primary use case?

I did one of the projects with a company that purchased the original micro-fabric design, which had two director nodes. It was for InterConneX, and I believe it had 16 link nodes. They had InterConneX between two main locations of their data centers. They used dark fiber with an MPLS network for the backbone, and then they used the QFabric interlinks to be able to basically send their data center layer to the fabric across those MPLS links. QFabric that I've been dealing with for one of my customers is on code 17.

What is most valuable?

The 40 gig backbone InterConneX was valuable for our use case. It is even faster now. QFabric has spine-leaf technology or topology, which basically makes every single hop only one hop away in terms of connecting from one device to another.

It is a pretty good and robust solution. It works pretty well in terms of scalability, and their technical support is amazing.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution since its inception in 2013.

Stability has been pretty good. There were tripping points over the years, especially because they were among the first ones to introduce a full fabric infrastructure, but they have learned from that. The one that I have used with the 10K series was hands down. It was one of the better fabrics that I have ever used.

It works pretty well in terms of scalability. It goes through 128 nodes with 48 ports a piece. We're talking about 400,000. If you actually upgrade it to a full class infrastructure, instead of just QFabric, it can go up to almost indefinite nodes.

I've dealt with J-Tech a lot. J-Tech is amazing. They're quick on the ball. If you've got issues, they're quick to escalate. I've never really seen a major issue that they haven't been able to solve. Of course, there have been hardware issues every now and then, but this is not just for QFabric. This is across their entire infrastructure.

It was rather complex when I built one up as a POC a while ago. In 2019, I played with the new design using the 10K series, and that one was much easier to set up. They have their own special setup that can detect what is connected. When you apply, you only apply to one controller, and the controller sends everything down the pipe, which is really nice.

In terms of price, the QFabric solution is going to be probably in the middle of the road for a fabric solution.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you're aware of what you're going to be putting in. It can be tricky at times to understand the architecture, but once you do, it is going to ease your administration a lot because it is a virtual chassis or a virtual fabric. However, you might want to look into maybe only using it as the physical infrastructure of an SD-WAN layer. That way you've got your orchestration that goes on top of it. Typically, that's not what companies do currently, but I think it is a great solution for that physical layer.

I would rate Juniper QFabric about an eight out of ten. It is a pretty good and pretty robust solution.

Find out what your peers are saying about Juniper, Cisco, Dell EMC and others in LAN Switching. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AK
Video conferencing Admin at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Scalable, stable and easy to install, with good tech support

• "The solution is stable."
  • "It would be nice if Juniper provided the system integrator with training, similar to that of Cisco."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used for the enterprise switch when there are production needs or critical areas involved, such as financial institutions.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if Juniper provided the system integrator with training, similar to that of Cisco. This is very important. People the world over talk about Cisco. I worked for Juniper for approximately two-and-a-half years, from 2011 to 2013. If Juniper would follow the route of Cisco, I believe its market share would increase, as the switches are stable and scalability exists. Absent this, it faces a challenge when going up against such competitors as Cisco. Juniper's market system is driven down by the systems integrators and end users not having familiarity with the systems they use.

As such, there is a need for more training documentation and integration with Cisco.

I have been using Juniper QFabric for around five or six years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is definitely scalable.

Technical support is definitely good. It's called the JTAC support, which is always good. No problems whatsoever.

Installation is not a problem.

We have a couple of people responsible for the deployment.

Cisco is similar to Juniper, which is very easy to manage and problem-free.

What other advice do I have?

I have recommended the solution to the Bank of India and recommend it to everyone else.

The solution can be deployed on-premises when it comes to large enterprises.

The solution is problem-free. I like its stability, performance, everything really.

Stability and security do not pose issues. Juniper is constantly working on new technologies.

I have many customers. Out of 100,000, I would estimate that I have implemented for 50 to 60 percent of them.

I rate Juniper Qfabric as an eight out of ten.

LC
Data Processing Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Good support but the upgrades are disruptive and the price is high

• "It's user-friendly."
  • "The disruptive upgrade was an issue for us."

What is our primary use case?

We are editors in France. We use this solution to provide services to our clients.

What is most valuable?

It's user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

We are quite disappointed in Juniper switches. We have had several difficulties with upgrading the cluster Juniper. It is not very easy. We must have a disruptive upgrade to achieve the upgrade in its entity.

The disruptive upgrade was an issue for us.

We have been using Juniper for four years.

We are using the previous generation, model 4,600.

It is not a stable solution.

We have not tried to scale this product.

Technical support is good. They have been responsive.

We have only just started using Cisco Nexus.

It was a normal installation. We did not have any issues with the installation.

Licensing is on a three-year term.

The pricing is high. They are expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. The new version with fewer switches is better, but it's expensive.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Private Cloud
WW
DevOps System Engineer at Monash University
Customer-friendly support, easy to use, and high performance

What is our primary use case?

Juniper QFabric can be used for networking in a data center.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and has good performance.

I have been using this solution for approximately one year.

The solution is stable.

Juniper QFabric is scalable.

The technical is responsive, knowledgeable, and customer-friendly.

The installation is not easy, you will need to have some technical knowledge.

We have five engineers that do the implementation and maintenance of the solution. …

What is our primary use case?

Juniper QFabric can be used for networking in a data center.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and has good performance.

I have been using this solution for approximately one year.

The solution is stable.

Juniper QFabric is scalable.

The technical is responsive, knowledgeable, and customer-friendly.

The installation is not easy, you will need to have some technical knowledge.

Juniper QFabric is a high-level solution but it could be less expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution to others.

I rate Juniper QFabric a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
LAN Switching
Download our free LAN Switching Report and find out what your peers are saying about Juniper, Cisco, Dell EMC, and more!