KC
Information Security Manager at a recruiting/HR firm with 201-500 employees
Easily scalable with many available tools

• "The reason that we picked Juniper SRX is for the scalability, the fit for purpose, the tools that are available, the ongoing support and the ability to monitor, but particularly for the virtual routers in our data centers so that we can quickly upscale them when needed, when we need more throughput."
  • "Ongoing costs are something that we need to manage and make sure that we're getting value on."

What is our primary use case?

We use the virtual on-premises in our data centers.

What is most valuable?

The reason that we picked Juniper SRX is for the scalability, the fit for purpose, the tools that are available, the ongoing support, and the ability to monitor, but particularly for the virtual routers in our data centers so that we can quickly upscale them when needed, when we need more throughput.

In the last year, we've started to roll out Juniper SRX for new sites. It has only been a couple, but we'll have about 10 to 15 sites within the next month in the new framework, and we'll also be putting a virtual SRX router at our gateway in our data centers as well.

We are using the latest version. It's not finalized to install yet. I expect it to be finalized next week in our city and Melbourne data centers.

So far they've been good in terms of stability.

The scalability has been very good so far.

We've got 420 staff using it, plus two of my internal team and two of my MSPs, four people,  working on the network stuff.

We have been in touch with support and they've been good. During the configuration stages, we had a couple of tickets and they were responsive to it.

The first configuration with my network experts took a little bit of time to work through the differences between their knowledge of the Huawei networking and the Juniper set-up and the change from all the Huawei to the Juniper and Sophos access points. The first install took a couple of weeks to configure the actual hardware, and then on site, what we expected to take half a day in the first instance probably took a week, but once we did one, we've been ok rolling out the next ones after that.

In terms of the initial setup being straightforward, that depends on your knowledge of the product. Juniper has been fairly responsive when my team has asked them questions. So it has taken us longer to install than I would've hoped, but that's one of those things when you change your products.

There is a component of monthly and yearly costs depending on the product.

Ongoing costs are something that we need to manage and make sure that we're getting value on. But with feeding the data back in and the capability, we're hoping that it will pay for itself in the monitoring tools and the ability to go past just the different baselines of stability and scalability to actually make sure that we're proactive in keeping our networks alive.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Juniper SRX an eight.

The main thing is cost. Having said that, it's not ridiculous, but you're always looking for the best value, and them bringing out the virtual cores has been really good. The cost is more expensive, but you're getting a bang for your buck. They are very good value for money in their product.

The overall, ongoing costs of licensing has added to my budget, but until I get long-term experience and make sure that it's running as expected, I can't say it's everything that I expected.

PD
Pre-Sales Analyst at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Stable with application control features and a straightforward setup

• "The solution has been good for fulfilling our basic needs."
  • "The solution isn't very granular or detailed."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the SD-WAN solution, not the firewall. We use it to protect the perimeter of the client. It's like a firewall for the perimeter.

What is most valuable?

The application control features are excellent.

The solution has been good for fulfilling our basic needs.

What needs improvement?

Our operational team handles the solution more than I do. I personally haven't seen any features that are missing per se.

The solution isn't very granular or detailed. However, we're just using the basics anyway.

The product could have a quicker response when it comes to technical support getting back when we have questions.

We've been using the solution for one year.

The stability overall has been okay. It's working. We have the solution in production now for almost a month. At this moment, I haven't heard of any complaints of the stability, or of any bugs within this product.

Typically, we deal with medium-sized organizations.

The solution doesn't have scalability due to the fact that it is a fixed WAN and therefore it's limited to its hardware. You can't scale that to attend to a bigger organization. It's limited. It was created to a specific size; it was not created to scale. It doesn't have this option.

Technical support has been very good. I would rate it a nine out of ten. We're quite satisfied with the level of service we've been provided so far. However, they could improve slightly by increasing their time to respond. They can be a bit slow.

As resellers, we deal with a variety of products including Cisco and Fortinet.

The initial setup wasn't too complex. It was pretty straightforward. We didn't really face any problems during implementation.

The deployment takes about 20 minutes. This without the client tests and just the configuration and no validation. Everything that was necessary was applied, however, not with the tests as it took too much of the client's time, and would have took much longer.

We buy the license from our reseller and implement the license for our clients.

With Jupiter, we sell IT services such as perimeter security. The client can buy his own firewall or we can buy it for the clients if they would like us to.

We don't have a focus on selling equipment, however.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller. We don't use the product ourselves. We implement solutions such as this for our clients.

I'd advise those considering the solution to gather the most information possible and organize it so that you can configure the firewall according to the company's needs. The relationship between the information that we get and what the client needs at the firewall, the real needs, is important.

Overall, we've been happy with the solution and I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Juniper SRX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CM
Network Engineer
Easy to set up with good documentation and responsive technical support

• "Technical support is good. They quickly respond, and they even have local help here. They can actually give you an answer very quickly."
  • "The capacity can be limiting. We have outgrown its capacity. You can only scale up to a certain extent, depending on the device purchased."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used in two ways: to protect our three data centers and servers. It works at protecting both areas from malicious attacks.

What is most valuable?

We have worked with the solution for a while and therefore have become quite versed in it. We're comfortable with its tech and have a good understanding of how best to use it.

The initial setup was easy.

In terms of usability, there are good forums on offer and they've got a lot of technical documentation for everything.

Technical support is good. They quickly respond, and they even have local help here. They can actually give you an answer very quickly.

The solution has been stable over the years.

What needs improvement?

The capacity can be limiting. We have outgrown its capacity. You can only scale up to a certain extent, depending on the device purchased.

There are cheaper options on the market.

The reporting and alerts could be improved. If you had alerts, whereby you can have things like intrusion detection systems quickly alerting the security managers of a breach would be helpful.

They need to work on the user interface. Most tasks are done by commands, and if you don't have experience using the command line, it's terrible. They should make it easier.

We've only been using the latest solution for a few days. It's quite new to us. It replaced a previous version, which we had for five years.

The stability is quite good. It's very reliable as long as your power is okay. It's a good device and good software and is a great piece of equipment, however, if your power has any issues, then you are likely to lose it after power surges.

Scalability is limited and you need the right sizing. In our case, our device has reached the end of life, and there are no more plugins that we can actually use.

We're quite satisfied with technical support. They are very helpful and responsive and there is good documentation.

We've also used Cyberoam, which is now Sophos.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It's an easy process and not very difficult or complex.

The license we have now is perpetual, however, going forward, with a newer version, we're looking at annual or bi-annual licensing.

The cost is not cheap or overly expensive. It's middle of the road.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer.

It's a good device overall. I'd recommend it to other users and companies. As long as a customer is buying something that is supported and has a good lifespan, they should be happy.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Gertis Des Vignes
ICT Product Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Interface uncomplicated, integrates efficiently, and desirable features

• "The firewall features and the routing capability are the most valuable."
  • "Their models for service providers could improve."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a device to meet NTLS connections, a firewall, and we are thinking about using it for SD-WAN.

What is most valuable?

The firewall features and the routing capability are the most valuable. The interface is straightforward and we have not had any problems with integration.

What needs improvement?

Their models for service providers could improve. We are an MSP, we resell services and I think the company could have a better program for service providers because our needs are different from our regular customer that is buying it for.

More recently we started using the GUI interface and that looks pretty shameful and needs improvement.

Juniper has a different product line that has artificial intelligence capabilities. In the future, we would like to see that extended to the SRX line.

I have been using the solution for approximately two years.

We have found the solution to be very stable. We have had literally little to no hardware or device failures in the field and have not had any customer complaints. In the years we have been using the solution we have not had any issues using it.

The scalability is good. The solution is best for small to medium size businesses.

We had to use the support in a couple of instances. When we have used the support, it was good. They were responsive and able to resolve our issues. There is also some community support online that I have found to be helpful.

The installation difficulty depends on the setup. Initially, when we started using the solution, we were using the command line interface and it took us a while to learn the commands, eventually, it becomes straightforward.

The full deployment took us approximately one month. We typically need only one person for deployment, and we have a service operation center that manages the devices and provides the maintenance.

The price could improve, it is a bit expensive. Our licensing cost is approximately $120.00 USD annually. There are some extra fees, for example, the GUI has an orchestrator that has its own fees.

Some of our clients have also seen similar solutions from our competitors such as Cisco and Fortinet. I think technically they are all very good products. However, for us we were looking for a product that was stable and had good support, this is the reason we chose Juniper. We package Juniper as part of our managed service to our customers.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be, generally, it is a good product with helpful support. The one thing we would like to see changes in is the pricing could be better.

I rate Juniper SRX an eight out of ten.

AG
Network Engineer & Cyber Security Analyst at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
User friendly with pretty good GUI and easy troubleshooting capabilities

• "Troubleshooting with the solution is quite easy. If you compare the process to, for example, Fortigate, Juniper is much easier."
  • "While the GUI is pretty good on the Juniper side, there can still be tweaks made to it that will make it even better."

What is most valuable?

The GUI of the solution is quite good. It's also very different from other solutions. On others, if you need to configure anything, you can do it all from the default gateway. Cisco, for example, has a bit of a more difficult process. Juniper's GUI is easier and it makes configuration easier.

The speed of the solution is very good.

The initial setup is very easy.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for two years or so.

The stability has been good so far. We haven't had issues with bugs or glitches. It's not a solution that crashes a lot of freezes up. We find it very reliable.

The scalability potential depends on the customer. Some customers are working only on the edge with smaller systems and the other environment is connected to Cisco switches. Some clients mix up switches and use HP or Cisco. Some like ASA, however, that's more expensive. Many go with SRX as an affordable option.

I have reached out to Juniper tech support a couple of times. I recall the experience being good. I got the answers I needed. I've used technical support from Sophos and Cisco in the past, and in comparison, I find Juniper to be quite good. I'd say we are satisfied with the level of support provided.

I've used Cisco and Fortigate solutions, among others, in the past as well. I find Juniper easier to use from a GUI aspect. Cisco is better from a CLI perspective.

We did not find the initial setup to be complex. The implementation was straightforward and simple. It didn't really give us any trouble.

The pricing of the product is pretty good. It's less than Cisco, which can be expensive for some organizations.

What other advice do I have?

Our client is a medium, small branch company. When they purchased this firewall, they understood that they could use it for a couple of years.

I have a client that works with Juniper 4200 and 4300 and they find the solution to be very user-friendly.

Overall, I would recommend the solution as it is easy to use and has a pretty good GUI. Customers really seem to like it.

In general, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at an eight.

Pradip Joshi
Owner at Shree Atharva Sales Corporation
Best after-sales support, reasonable price, 100% stability, and good security and performance

• "It is a complete security bundle. The cloud-based Sky Advanced Threat Prevention feature is very valuable. I am 100% satisfied with the performance of the Juniper firewall. It has a very good throughput. It works very fine. We use our firewall as a site-to-site VPN or Software-Defined Wide Area Network (SD-WAN). In both cases, it has a very good and optimum performance. Their service support is very good in India. I get really good support from the Juniper team."
  • "It must be 5G ready. The 5G network is rolling out soon in India, and Juniper must upgrade their firewall slot to the 5G network, or they must manufacture a 5G dongle card for the Juniper firewall. I want Juniper to upgrade their dongle from 4G to 5G. Presently, they have an expansion slot in the SRX 322 series and higher firewalls. In that expansion slot, they can put a 4G mobility SIM card so that whenever our primary link is down, it will automatically connect through this GSM network and form a tunnel."

What is our primary use case?

We are using 300 series and 1500 series models.

What is most valuable?

It is a complete security bundle. The cloud-based Sky Advanced Threat Prevention feature is very valuable.

I am 100% satisfied with the performance of the Juniper firewall. It has a very good throughput. It works very fine. We use our firewall as a site-to-site VPN or Software-Defined Wide Area Network (SD-WAN). In both cases, it has a very good and optimum performance.

Their service support is very good in India. I get really good support from the Juniper team.

What needs improvement?

It must be 5G ready. The 5G network is rolling out soon in India, and Juniper must upgrade their firewall slot to the 5G network, or they must manufacture a 5G dongle card for the Juniper firewall. I want Juniper to upgrade their dongle from 4G to 5G.

Presently, they have an expansion slot in the SRX 322 series and higher firewalls. In that expansion slot, they can put a 4G mobility SIM card so that whenever our primary link is down, it will automatically connect through this GSM network and form a tunnel.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is 100% stable. They have a common operating system for firewalls, routers, and LAN switches.

Their technical support is excellent. As compared to any other company, Juniper has better support in India. We have a very good understanding, and I get good support from them.

I have worked with Sophos and SonicWall. As far as the real packet forwarding internet mix is concerned, Juniper is far better than SonicWall, FortiGate, Sophos, and Cisco.

The setup of any firewall is always complex because we have to customize features according to customer requirements.

Its price is reasonable. In India, most of the products have a similar price. There is only a 5% to 10% variation in the price of different brands.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. They can blindly go with Juniper. Juniper has very good after-sales support. Their technical team is very aggressive in support, and they give very good support to the customers.

I plan to keep using this solution. Currently, there is no plan to switch from Juniper to any other brand. I am 100% satisfied with Juniper. They provide a very good service to my customers. I don't have any concerns about after-sales support with Juniper.

I would rate Juniper SRX a ten out of ten.

SS
Senior Manager - Unified Communications, Smart Infrastructure and Service Provider Solutions at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Reasonably priced, easy to set up and user-friendly

• "Technical support has been quite helpful."
  • "The reporting is lacking."

What is most valuable?

The solution can scale very well.

It's quite a user-friendly solution and I find it to be easy to navigate.

The initial setup is very easy.

The stability has been quite good.

Technical support has been quite helpful.

The pricing has become very reasonable and we find them to be competitive.

What needs improvement?

The reporting is lacking. it's an aspect of the solution I would like to see improved upon in the future.

The solution isn't as present in the market as Cisco and Fortigate. They need to do a better job of marketing themselves and becoming more visible.

I've used the solution for a number of years at this point. I started using it around 2012 or 2013. It's been a while.

The stability has been good. Over the years there have been no issues with crashing or freezing and there are no bugs or glitches.

The product scales very well. It's not a problem if your company needs to expand it.

In our office, we have about 120 people protected under Juniper. However, we have proposed it to many customers and some clients use it as well. Some of them are quite sizeable businesses.

We've used technical support in the past and have been satisfied with the level of service they provide. they are helpful and responsive.

I'm also familiar with Cisco and Fortigate.

The initial setup was straightforward. This is due to the fact that we have a decent Juniper-certified team.

We are integrators and can install it for our clients if they need us to.

We pay an annual licensing fee.

In the past, they would sometimes be more expensive than Fortinet, however, we have noticed that their pricing has come down a bit and now they are very reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller and systems integrator. We are also a customer.

In the office, we have Juniper SRX firewalls. We have not activated the SD-WAN.

I would recommend the solution to other users and companies.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall.

SV
Integrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to install, stable, and has the consistent Juniper CLI

• "What I like the most about Juniper is that they have the same CLI on all routers, switches, and firewalls. If you have worked with any Juniper device, such as a Juniper router, you will be able to work with an SRX, which is really cool. It is a nice experience to work with every device of Juniper, not only firewalls."
  • "As a networking person, I don't really have any major issues with this device. Based on my experience of using it in a cluster, it could be more stable. I had an incident when one of the SRXs in a cluster couldn't learn ARP. It is a good solution, but firewalls don't seem to be an area of development for Juniper. They are focusing on data centers, routers, and switches, not firewalls."

What is our primary use case?

I used this solution in my previous organization. We used it to protect data centers and some private resources.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most about Juniper is that they have the same CLI on all routers, switches, and firewalls. If you have worked with any Juniper device, such as a Juniper router, you will be able to work with an SRX, which is really cool. It is a nice experience to work with every device of Juniper, not only firewalls.

What needs improvement?

As a networking person, I don't really have any major issues with this device. Based on my experience of using it in a cluster, it could be more stable. I had an incident when one of the SRXs in a cluster couldn't learn ARP.

It is a good solution, but firewalls don't seem to be an area of development for Juniper. They are focusing on data centers, routers, and switches, not firewalls.

Its stability isn't bad. In two years of supporting this device, I had only one issue. I had an incident when one of the SRXs in a cluster couldn't learn ARP, and the request didn't move between cluster units. I had to fix this manually, which wasn't really cool because I had to get up in the night because of this incident.

We weren't using it in a high load infrastructure.

I didn't really need their support. I only needed their support for the demo of their CSR product because it wasn't working as mentioned in their documents.

Its initial setup is straightforward. If you are a network engineer with some experience, you will be able to configure it easily. I have configured many Juniper firewalls, and it was really easy. Configuring the device isn't a problem. The main problem is preparing the environment and the infrastructure for your device.

It took more than one year to use this solution in production because I used a lot of features in my demo infrastructure, such as VSRX, to demonstrate this solution to potential and existing customers.

What other advice do I have?

I like the SRX series. In fact, I like all products from Juniper.

I would rate Juniper SRX an eight out of ten.

Download our free Juniper SRX Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.