ME
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Not reliable or easy to install, support and pricing need improvement

• "We did not have problems with scaling, as we have less than 500 users in our organization."
  • "It was very difficult to deal with and required a lot of support, and the UI is very poor."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is as a high-capacity firewall.

What needs improvement?

I didn't like this product at all.

We faced many issues with the power supply causing many outages with this SRX box.

We experienced outage issues when load-balancing between two availability architectures, which had an effect on the availability.

Once we started to deal with this solution, it was very difficult to troubleshoot. It was not straightforward at all when comparing to Cisco.

We always had support tickets. More than 50 tickets per month exceeded the SLA by more than two weeks.

Better support is needed.

In the next release, this solution needs to be stable, offer better support, better pricing, and less expensive to migrate.

I have been using Juniper SRX for more than five years.

We are using the latest version but will be dismantling this product soon.

It is not stable at all. There are many outages.

We will not continue using this solution.

Technical support was not helpful.

The support was horrible. Once we started our investigation, we were faced with another support engineer calling to go over the first steps again. We needed to restart the investigation from the beginning of the week.

The installation was not straightforward.

It took more than one month to set it up.

We had a team of three technicians to implement this solution.

One of the main reasons for dismantling this solution is that were asked to migrate the old books to the new books using Juniper and to transfer the policies and firewalls by using licensing.

It was very expensive to upgrade to their products.

The product itself is costly and the price of migration is very high.

What other advice do I have?

I do not recommend this product and instead, would recommend using FortiGate.

I would rate Juniper SRX a zero. I would not even give it a one out of ten.

RH
Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Scalable with good CLI and helpful technical support

• "The CLI works perfectly."
  • "The solution could cost less. It's a bit expensive right now."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a small office.

What is most valuable?

The solution works very well in small offices.

The CLI works perfectly.

Technical support has been very helpful overall.

They offer very good administration capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The solution could cost less. It's a bit expensive right now.

The solution sometimes takes a long time to deliver the products. We're often waiting for stock. They should just have the product available and ready to go when customers need it.

I've been using the solution for about 15 years at this point. It's been a long time. It's been well over a decade.

The solution is pretty stable. We haven't had any issues in that regard. It's reliable.

The solution can scale, however, it's often difficult to get a hold of the product itself. We're often waiting on orders.

The solution seems to work well in small offices. I'm not sure how well it would do in larger enterprises.

The solution offers very good technical support. We've found them to be helpful and responsive. We don't have anything to complain about. Their service has been good so far.

We did previously use a solution called NetScreen.

The pricing is a bit expensive. They need to work on their pricing models.

We're currently looking at Fortinet as an option. Currently, this solution is fine for a smaller office, however, we're curious to see if there's a solution that may be better suited for a larger setup.

What other advice do I have?

We're an official Juniper partner.

I don't typically work with the user interface. I deal more often with the CLI, and that works very well. I'm not really able to comment too much on usability for those who need a user interface to operate the solution.

I'd recommend the solution. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at an eight. For the most part, we've been pretty happy with it.

Learn what your peers think about Juniper SRX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Przemysław Zawadzki
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Great inter-segmentation firewall; CPU switch needs improving

• "Great as an inter-segmentation firewall or border or arch-firewall."
  • "The CPU switch could be improved for a better overall performance of traffic flow."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is as a next generation firewall  If I have a customer who needs a good router for the office, but they're not in a complicated situation with VPNs and the like, the SRX is great.

What is most valuable?

This is a flexible platform, it's great as an inter-segmentation firewall or border or arch-firewall. The solution has a solid position on the market as a security device. The most important feature in the SRX is the application visibility and control because it gives the user a lot of information about the application in the traffic. Juniper SRX is great as a smaller router for smaller offices.

What needs improvement?

I think with this Juniper product, the CPU switch could be improved for a better overall performance of traffic flow. I'd also like to see a threat intelligence feed which would hopefully monitor the network traffic flowing through the SRX to detect malware and other content.

I've been using this solution for a month.

The overall stability is good.

Some models are scalable but you have to have VMs to modify resources to get better performance.

We have premium support from the company and we provide support to our customers.

I don't deal with implementation but in a typical project we have sale, pre-sales and deployment engineers. If the project is really big, we also use project managers. There would be four people involved in a typical project. If the product requires integration of different technologies like web application firewalls, we bring in more engineers specialized in different type of technologies to integrate them together.

What other advice do I have?

I really like the architecture of the product, but it's not a leader in the market. It's a very good platform, but if the user needs more performance on the edge, I would prefer something else. If a user needs a more sophisticated next generation firewall feature or threat intelligence themes, I'm not sure they'll get that with SRX devices. I think there's a gap there. I think it's a good solution but not for everyone.

I rate this solution a seven out of 10.

MR
Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good IPSec configuration, with good support, and easy to install

• "The IPSec configuration is going well."
  • "In the future, I would like to see the UI more responsive"

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is a traditional firewall.

We use Juniper SRX for the site-to-site VPN.

What is most valuable?

The IPSec configuration is going well.

What needs improvement?

We are experiencing some issues with the clustering. It needs to be simplified and more stable.

Some of the features included in SRX need improvement. For example, if you want to change your SSH port number, you cannot go into the application layer. You will have to go to the shell command to change the port. This is a problem because when you show the configuration, you cannot see what was put in the shell. It should easier.

Also, the user interface is a bit slow.

In the future, I would like to see the UI more responsive. The new generation doesn't use SSH anymore. One-click would be better.

I have been using Juniper SRX for approximately six years.

A few years ago, we were using the SRX240 now we are using a more recent version.

We deploy on SRX to handle 500 sites.

We will continue to use this solution in the future. We have no plans to change.

The technical support is a lot better because when we log a case, they respond.

We also use Fortinet FortiGate and I have some experience and knowledge of Cisco ASA.

It's not too complicated. It's plug and play.

The most challenging is when you upload the ISO. Deployment is less than one hour.

The installation is completed in-house.

We are not a large company, we have a team of less than five for deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for those who are interesting in using it for a VPN.

AF
Senior Product Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Good performance and stability, and more competitively priced that others

What is our primary use case?

We are a distributor and Juniper SRX is one of the products that we work with. The SRX is a service gateway device that serves two main functions. The primary function is as a firewall, and the second is for routing traffic. It can serve as a branch firewall or data center firewall, as well as a next-generation firewall, based on the license.

What is most valuable?

Juniper SRX has many good features that suit a variety of customer requirements. Performance is a strong point.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of features that customers do not know about and I think that better documentation would help when it comes to learning how to use the product. Technical support could be improved by adding local engineers.

For how long have I used

What is most valuable?

Performance is a strong point.

What needs improvement?

Technical support could be improved by adding local engineers.

I have been working with this product for a few months.

The Juniper SRX is very stable. Stability and performance are the strengths of Juniper products.

We have clients of all sizes for this product, from small businesses to service providers. It is very scalable.

I would rate the technical support at medium. The support is good, but other vendors have local engineers. This is something that could be improved.

The initial setup is straightforward and very easy. The length of time for deployment depends on the size of the solution.

Compared to other vendors, the pricing of this solution is good.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I very much recommend.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: distributor
US
Freelancer
Good for medium sized networks but the UI needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use it to deploy the firewall. Sometimes we use the newer version, sometimes the older version. It depends.

What is most valuable?

In terms of valuable features, Juniper firewall filtering is good.

What needs improvement?

Juniper SRX's UI is very bad. We have to use CLA all of the time and Sky ATP. If I compare Fortinet with SRX, particularly for filtering websites and email addresses, SRX is very very difficult.

I have been using Juniper SRX for the last five to six years.

It is good for a medium sized network. It depends how it is deployed. If you look at the Gartner rating, Juniper is not among the top rankers.

What do I think about the

What is our primary use case?

We use it to deploy the firewall.

Sometimes we use the newer version, sometimes the older version. It depends.

What is most valuable?

In terms of valuable features, Juniper firewall filtering is good.

What needs improvement?

Juniper SRX's UI is very bad. We have to use CLA all of the time and Sky ATP.

I have been using Juniper SRX for the last five to six years.

It is good for a medium sized network. It depends how it is deployed.

If you look at the Gartner rating, Juniper is not among the top rankers.

The scalability is fine.

Since COVID, the tech support is not much good. You have to wait a long time. For example, if you open up a case, you don't know how much time it will be before they come and if the person opening the ticket is even experienced.

Because I have been using Juniper for five years, for me the setup is not hard. But compared to FortiGate it is much more difficult for new users.

It is on a subscription basis, mostly yearly. It totally depends on the customer. The customer gets a discount on the hardware.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Juniper SRX a seven.

VS
Team Manager - Networks at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Customizable policy control, supports EEE routing, and the technical support is impressive

• "The EEE security controls allow us to make policy restrictions, so I can customize port numbers to allow or limit control."
  • "It should be easier to escalate support tickets."

What is our primary use case?

We use Juniper for EEE routing and we also use the gateway feature.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are routing and policy security.

The Juniper SRX protects against DDoS attacks.

What needs improvement?

When we first tested the serial interface on our model, it did not work.

It should be easier to escalate support tickets.

We have been working with Juniper SRX for eight or nine years.

We sized this solution based on our bandwidth, so scalability has not been a problem.

The support that we receive from the partner is good. They are available if you are looking for a replacement or an upgrade, and they worked with me when it came to sizing the router according to our bandwidth.

They were also able to find a workaround to the problem that we were having with the serial interface not working on our SRX550-M.

The only issue with technical support is that it depends on the escalation.

We also have a small number of Cisco routers but we rely primarily on Juniper. The Cisco products are more expensive.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a really good product.

PJ
Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
A high performance security solution with a clever network operation system

• "I like the Junos OS, which has been very good for me. It's very clever."
  • "Sometimes committing configurations takes a lot of time in Juniper because of the connections, and it could be a little bit faster."

What is most valuable?

I like the Junos OS, which has been very good for me. It's very clever. I can find everything I want, I can commit changes, and I can throwback. I think it has very good features. I like Juniper because of Junos.

What needs improvement?

I think it needs some automation. I have to find an API for Python and so on, which is quite different from a typical solution. Sometimes committing configurations takes a lot of time in Juniper because of the connections, and it could be a little bit faster. Their documentation could also be better.

I've been using Juniper SRX for about ten years.

Juniper SRX is very stable.

It's not very scalable because you need some experience with Juniper. I know that it's difficult for people who are familiar with Cisco to start Junos. Compared to Cisco,
Juniper also has very bad documentation.

I think technical support is good.

We're also using Check Point at the moment.

The initial setup is easy for me because I have some papers with notes that help me.

The price is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise people interested in using this solution to start learning Junos.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Juniper SRX a nine.

Download our free Juniper SRX Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.