Juniper SRX Overview
What is Juniper SRX?High-performance security with advanced, integrated threat intelligence, delivered on the industry's most scalable and resilient platform. SRX Series gateways set new benchmarks with 100GbE interfaces and feature Express Path technology, which enables up to 1 Tbps performance for the data center.
Juniper SRX is also known as SRX.
Juniper SRX Buyer's Guide
Download the Juniper SRX Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021
Juniper SRX Customers7-Eleven, AARNet Pty Ltd, Allegro Networks, alltours GmbH, Apollo Hotel Papendrecht, Armstrong Atlantic State University, Atlantech Online, Availity, Bajaj Capital, Baloise Insurance, BancABC, BAS Group, Black Lotus, Blue Box, Borealis, Carilion Clinic, Catholic Health System, CATV, Champlain College, Chinas Ministry of Railways, China University of Mining and Technology (CUMT), Cloud Dynamics, CloudSeeds, Cloudwatt, CODONiS, Colt Technology Services, Cork Internet Exchange, CSS Versicherung AG, CyrusOne, Danish Crown, Deloitte Belgium, Department of Energy, Divona Telecom, DQE Communications, DreamHost, European Government Agency, Expedient, Financial Market Information Services Provider, Fluidata, Fonality, Fox Sports, Global Financial Institution, Global Investment Bank, Global Investment Company, Energy Sciences Network (ESnet), Goethe University, HEAnet, High Performance Networks Inc., Hillenbrand
Juniper SRX Video
Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Review Length
Showingreviews based on the current filters.
Network Architect - Contractor at TEML
May 10, 2019
The operating system and the flexibility it provides is what really differentiates this solution
What is our primary use case?The primary use case is a combination of a firewall, router, and VPN termination device.
Pros and Cons
- "There is a lot of flexibility in how you can commit, check, and back out of a configuration."
- "It's a good stable firewall, but it's nowhere near what it needs to be for a next-generation type firewall."
What other advice do I have?This solution is really nice to use. It's very similar in terms of capabilities to a Cisco, but it's just that the operating system is so much nicer to use. I would say that you need some time to get comfortable with the operating system if you've never used it before, but don't let that scare you. Buy it and put it on your desk for a week, then play with it. If you've got a live environment or if you've got some type of simulation you can set it up in, it won't take long and you can feel comfortable using it. I would rate this product an eight and a half out of ten.
Senior Network Security Engineer at Aplikas
May 1, 2019
A Competitively Priced Network and Cybersecurity Solution
What is our primary use case?Our primary use case is consultation and deployment of the solution. We operate as a Juniper Elite Partner. Our customers, large enterprises, want to prevent network failure and downtime.
Pros and Cons
- "On a scale from one to ten, one being the worst and ten being the best I'd give Juniper SRX an overall rating of eight because of its' competitive price."
- "Improvements can be made to the GUI. The GUI can be improved by creating policies to handle IPS requirements. The configuration should be a one-step process. This would make it easier to complete the setup to register the time of operation."
What other advice do I have?Further advice regarding this solution is that anyone planning to implement this product should understand the Juniper suite. They should understand the firewall concept, Juniper configuration, and the command line. They need previous experience with Juniper products. On a scale from one to ten, one being the worst and ten being the best I'd give Juniper SRX an overall rating of eight because of its' competitive price. But it's a very complex product compared with other similar products.
Learn what your peers think about Juniper SRX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
501,499 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Apr 7, 2019
The virtualization feature is the most valuable feature, as sometimes customers request a private connection using mobile data
What is our primary use case?We are using this solution mainly for the NPCs and the firewall of the mobile data customers. We are using it to protect the ISP of the mobile data customers: 2G, 3G, and 4G customers.
Pros and Cons
- "The virtualization feature is the most valuable feature. Sometimes customers are requesting a private connection using mobile data when they are connecting to remote sites."
- "The Juniper SRX product needs to improve in terms of innovation."
What other advice do I have?Make sure to have skilled local support. We are planning to move to the bigger version of Juniper SRX later this year (SRX5800). We are also planning to move to IPv6.
Sr. Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Real UserTop 10
Apr 7, 2019
Good Layer 3 and Layer 4 protection, but the solution is not end-to-end
What is our primary use case?Juniper SRX is solely used as a firewall gateway. We use it only for interfacing with the internet and for server farms, as a data center firewall gateway.
Pros and Cons
- "Most of our clients use it as a traditional firewall, blocking Layer 3 and Layer 4, blocking by transport."
- "it would be more powerful if Juniper brought out a security product other than the firewall, like anti-spam, endpoint protection, etc. Customers who want to deploy security solutions are not just thinking about firewalls... Juniper should have an end-to-end solution, from the endpoint to the network level."
What other advice do I have?Juniper is good at the routing protocol. If you want a solution to protect your environment from the internet, I would propose a firewall gateway solution but ultimately it depends on what the customer needs. We are partnered with Juniper, so if customers ask for a firewall solution, the first solution that we pick is generally a Juniper firewall. If a customer wants a firewall other than Juniper, we offer it. Usually, we will do a firewall like FortiGate or Palo Alto, if the customer has enough money, as Palo Alto is very expensive.
Consumer Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 1, 2019
It protects from distributed denial-of-service attacks with Screen Options
What is our primary use case?The primary use case is for protecting enterprise systems.
Pros and Cons
- "It protects from distributed denial-of-service attacks with Screen Options."
- "The GUI needs to be easier and more helpful for users who don't have security experience."
What other advice do I have?You have to be aware of Linux commands, which will make you able to use this device, like exporting file, saving file, monitoring your logs, and making a new script.
GCD Network Architecture Manager at Technicolor
Feb 20, 2019
It provides stability for our complex network
What is our primary use case?Firewall for a lab environment.
How has it helped my organization?Before, we were handling everything with a Vyatta server until our network became more complex.
What is most valuable?Stability.
What needs improvement?The device could be more user-friendly.
Chief Executive Officer with 51-200 employees
Dec 14, 2018
It is a good solution for firewall protection. It needs to be updated for "Next-Generation" needs.
What is our primary use case?It is a basic firewall that we have been using for six years. It is a good solution.
What is most valuable?The most valuable feature is the brand itself. From a protection perspective, it provides a network perimeter security function for our company.
What needs improvement?We are finding that the UTM features which is required (like an antivirus or URL filtering) are not available. We are now looking for the "Next Generation" of firewall protection. We need to be less vulnerable to attacks. In addition, we would really like to see an automated policy feature added.
For how long have I used the solution?More than five years.
Principal Director of IT at Reanaud-bray
Oct 17, 2018
Tried configuring the IDS for more than four months, but it did not work properly
What is our primary use case?We use it as a firewall at our head office and branches. We use its IDS solution at the head office too.
How has it helped my organization?It did not improve our safety because the IDS does not detect some attacks, but our anti-virus software did.
What needs improvement?Correct the bugs in the current version. Help customers more with its configuration so they can feel safer. We tried configuring the IDS for more than four months, but it did not work properly.
For how long have I used the solution?Less than one year.
Senior Network Analyst with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 27, 2018
The throughput is fine but the CLI is verbose, especially when configuring
What is our primary use case?Our primary use case is security. The performance has been okay. It's a bit of a change from the Ciscos in terms of the configuration syntax, from the CLI perspective. We use it just as a firewall. We don't use it for routing functionality.
Pros and Cons
- "The CLI is verbose. You have to say a lot to do a little. I don't like that part of it. Cisco's command syntax seems to be a good bit more concise. When you're trying to get something done, you don't want to have to type a bunch."
What other advice do I have?You need to know what your company's strategic vision is, and then map the security part of that. I don't just mean cost-related, but the strategy for profit-related future ventures. You need to know why you want a particular firewall. Don't ignore the functions and future growth and products on the horizon from each of the vendors. What you go with has to meet your current needs but, more importantly, is the company a going concern - meaning if they're going to get better - then how do they complement your particular industry's growth? Are they going to be there to make remote access and…
Technical Support Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Aug 8, 2018
It protects the data behind our switches
What is our primary use case?We use it as a perimeter firewall, data center firewall, and as VPN concentrators for some companies. It protects the data behind our switches. Our company provides the switches, like the EX-Series. We are an elite partners for Juniper. We use the firewall for data protection.
Pros and Cons
- "It integrates well with Fortinet and Palo Alto."
- "It uses many applications, like antivirus blocking and web filtering."
- "The high availability of the application is good."
- "It protects the data behind our switches."
- "Juniper needs to focus more on their perimeter firewalls."
- "The GUI needs to be easier to handle."
- "I would like to see endpoint control and endpoint testing security."
What other advice do I have?They can use the Juniper SRX as a data center firewall. Juniper needs to focus more on their perimeter firewalls. Our most important criteria is to look for 24-hour support, prices, partnerships, and what they offer to partners. Also, we want to know if the product can function with Juniper.
Network Manager with 1-10 employees
Aug 8, 2018
They should add a dashboard because the product is difficult to operate. It is not that expensive.
What is our primary use case?The Juniper SRX that we have is being used as a firewall. Somehow, it is performing. The product is a normal router with basic firewall capacity. We don't have a dedicated firewall. Therefore, I don't have high expectations from Juniper.
Pros and Cons
- "It helps us perform our daily jobs."
- "I would like them to add a dashboard because it's difficult to operate."
- "The product only has basic features."
What other advice do I have?It crashed, and we could not change it for some reason. I don't want to keep Juniper within my network anymore. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Dedicated support team * Easy configuration.
Sr. Programmer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Jun 6, 2018
We use the Layer 4 firewall functions: Access rules, NAT, and site-to-site IPsec VPN
Pros and Cons
- "We mostly use the Layer 4 firewall functions: Access rules, NAT, and site-to-site IPsec VPN."
- "It needs better interoperability with Cisco gear."
Sr. Network Engineer at Kitsap Credit Union
May 27, 2018
Lowered our operating costs by 25% over three years, mostly recovered from maintenance/support costs
What is our primary use case?During our last network refresh, we did a wholesale forklift upgrade from Cisco to an entire Juniper network infrastructure, including Juniper SRX router/firewall/IDP, EX Series switches, and QFX Series core switches. The entire process took over two years to complete, but once it was completed, we were extremely happy with the Juniper equipment in terms of costs, performance, maintenance, and the ability to function as we needed.
Pros and Cons
- "Juniper has the "recovery safety feature", so if you perform a "commit confirmed" and the new configuration disconnects you. then there is no "confirmed" command with X mins (default = 10 mins). It automatically reverts (recovers) to the previous configuration. This is handy for when you do not want to make that trip down range just to reboot a router."
- "Using a Juniper CLI, you configure a "candidate configuration", then "commit" it to bring it live. If you do not like it or messed up something, you just "rollback" to the previous configuration. It can all be done in a matter of minutes. This is super handy once you get use to it."
- "Third-party support for Juniper is a lot less than Cisco. This is no surprise, but a definite consideration if you are expecting to use a lot of third party support. In my guesstimate, for every 100 Cisco shops, you will find one Juniper shop."
- "JTAC (Juniper Networks Technical Assistance Center) is just okay for technical assistance. However, if you are used to Cisco TAC responsiveness, you will need to adjust your expectations with Juniper Networks TAC."
Engineer at icraft
May 27, 2018
Easy to scale up by attaching more CPU and memory
What is our primary use case?Our primary use is having a virtual appliance vSRX PoC in telco. We tested integration to their Vim, function and performance.
How has it helped my organization?vSRX's performance is best with less resources, such as CPU and memory. It is easy to scale up by attaching more CPU and memory.
What is most valuable?vSRX is easy to deploy to any virtual infrastructure, such as OpenStack, VMware, and even Docker (cSRX). It has already been tested with virtual acceleration, such as DPDK, SR-IOV, and PCI-Passthrough.
What needs improvement?It could improve areas which need high performance.
For how long have I used the solution?Still implementing.
What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and licensing?Small enterprises or telco have…
Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Feb 26, 2018
Zones make it easy to logically organize security polices
Pros and Cons
- "Security policies in combination with zones: It is very easy to organize the security polices in a logical structure."
- "CLI: Junos CLI is very easy to use, and it is also very easy to find back items in the configuration and to change them."
- "Commit: You can update the whole configuration without affecting the production. The new configuration will be loaded once the command "Commit" is submitted. You can also do a Commit confirmed to automatically roll back to the previous config after X minutes."
- "The visibility/reporting could be better. To see something, you have to export the log to a syslog and then process with another product."
What other advice do I have?Be sure you know what you are looking for. The SRX650 is a perfect product for a small datacenter, not for a branch office where you need lots of visibility. Implement your structure (zones) first, on paper, before starting to configure it.
Senior Network and Security Consultant, JNCIE-SEC#408 at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 25, 2018
Improves our operational performance and stability; there are no outages
Pros and Cons
- "It's a reliable firewall and very stable, for both the hardware and applications it is stable."
- "It'sa very secure device, it has good attack prevention capabilities using UTM."
What other advice do I have?I can say for, that for a datacenter, and for price, first I appreciate Palo Alto and then I appreciate Juniper, more than the others. Support for Juniper is best, better than Palo Alto, but Palo Alto is more powerful. And there is a big difference in pricing.
Jan 25, 2018
Large total throughput, and we are able to change configurations without downtime
Pros and Cons
- "The rollback option and Commit Confirmed are great features. They give us the security to change configurations without downtime."
- "It would be good if Junos had "unique commands" between all hierarchical levels, discarding the use of the "Run" command."
What other advice do I have?We use the SRX1500 with Junos 15.1X49-D75.5. I rate the product 10 out of 10. It is very strong and Junos is very powerful. The total throughput is very large.
ICT System Specialist at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 22, 2017
Provides good routing and high performance of the data center
What is our primary use case?One solution is data center Firewall and also we use this solution for protection our service GI + Triple Play
Pros and Cons
- "It provides good routing and high performance of the data center."
- "The web interface on Juniper SRX is just a short conversion from Junos OS CLI; this is not very suitable for users with little expertise/"
What other advice do I have?It is a very good router with firewall.
Network | Firewall Engineer - Cloud Managed Services Delivery at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jul 15, 2017
Having this design has greatly simplified the network and improved operational efficiency of support staffs
What other advice do I have?This product will offer maximum performance and capacity. It is extremely reliable depending on the business need. It supports full routing functionality and advanced security services like Application Security, Unified Threat Management (UTM), IPS, and threat intelligence. Advanced security services require a license.
NOKIA Lead Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Jul 13, 2017
We are satisfied with its stability , but we don’t advise others to implement a cluster design other than Active/Passive.
What other advice do I have?We are satisfied with its stability , but we don’t advise others to implement a cluster design other than Active/Passive.
Systems Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 5, 2017
Consolidation combines routing, switching, and firewall services in one device
What other advice do I have?The Juniper SRX300 is a stable and very reliable product, packed with a lot of capabilities that are not available in the competing products of the same range. I would highly recommend this product to anyone interested in implementing it. This box has it all and is more for the small-scale branch market. Packaged as an all-in-one routing, switching, and security solution, the SRX300 minimizes the need to deploy separate devices to perform these functions by leveraging on its consolidation, all coming with the carrier-grade capabilities.
NCP Team Lead Secured Networks at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Jun 29, 2017
One valuable feature is the reliability of the Junos OS. There is not a global database of objects.
What other advice do I have?Be wary of Juniper's stake in the security realm. If they are ramping up again and are again competing with Check Point, Palo Alto, and FortiGate, then they are worthy of consideration. It is also worth your consideration if your network is Juniper based and you have a secondary firewall vendor.
Data Department Manager at BTC Networks
Apr 30, 2015
As a firewall in general, it is good.
What other advice do I have?Give us 10 minutes of your time, and we will show you the differences. When I do presentations, I give potential clients demo access to the solution(s) I am presenting.
IT Project Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Apr 29, 2015
There were no issues with the deployment but the GUI needs to be improved.
What is most valuable?Unified OS - free BSD UNIX IDP
How has it helped my organization?We’ve connected this product on a GSM core network for a 3G deployment project.
What needs improvement?The GUI.
For how long have I used the solution?I've used it for one year.
What was my experience with deployment of the solution?No issues encountered.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?No issues encountered.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?No issues encountered.
How are customer service and technical support?Customer Service: It's good. Technical Support: It's good.
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?Our customer decided to switch from Cisco to Juniper for their security deployment.
Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Apr 15, 2015
Routing needs improving, however, it's a straightforward setup.
Valuable FeaturesTraceoptions Commit check Route/IPSEC VPN
Improvements to My OrganizationIt provides us with easy options for troubleshooting.
Room for ImprovementSwitching Routing
Use of SolutionI've used them for two years.
Deployment IssuesNo issues encountered.
Stability IssuesNo issues encountered.
Scalability IssuesThere were limited security zones with each model.
Customer Service and Technical SupportCustomer Service: 10/10. Technical Support: 9/10.
Initial SetupIt's a straightforward setup for us as we have a configuration template.
Other Solutions ConsideredIt depends on our customers requirements.
Other AdviceCheck the customer requirement first.
Head of section at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 16, 2014
Stability in a heavy Microsoft environment could be better, but fast packet mover is a valuable feature.
What is most valuable?Fast packet mover, uptime.
What needs improvement?Stability in a heavy Microsoft environment, RPC communication.
For how long have I used the solution?5 years.
What was my experience with deployment of the solution?Numerous deplyoment issues, very early product at the time.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?Numerous deployment issues, very early product at the time.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?No scalability issues at all, very good for scalability.
How are customer service and technical support?Customer Service: Very impressive, but you have to know the inner workings of JTAC. Technical Support: Very impressive, but you have to know the inner workings of JTAC. Juniper has a very effective…
Download our free Juniper SRX Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
- Which is the best network firewall for a small retailer?
- When evaluating Firewalls, what aspect do you think is the most important to look for?
- What is the best way to prevent DoppelPaymer Ransomware?
- Can you recommend a solution to replace Cyberoam 200ing Firewall?
- Best firewall models for 750 to 1000 users
- Best Firewall to create VPN for 250 plus users currently working from home?
- Which lesser known firewall product has the best chance at unseating the market leaders?
- What are the threats associated with using ‘bogus’ cybersecurity tools?
- Comparing network security vendors and devices
- Does Fortinet FortiGate have AI capabilities?