Juniper vSRX Overview

Juniper vSRX is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Virtualization Security tools. It is most often compared to Juniper SRX: Juniper vSRX vs Juniper SRX

What is Juniper vSRX?
The vSRX offers the same features as physical SRX Series firewalls but in a virtualized form factor for delivering security services that scale to match network demand. It offers the same features as the SRX appliance, including core firewall, robust networking, full next-gen capabilities, and automated life-cycle management. It handles speed up to 100 Gbps. It supports Juniper Contrail, OpenContrail, and third-party software-defined networking (SDN) solutions and integrates with cloud orchestration tools. Deployed in your private cloud, vSRX protects against the lateral spread of advanced threats between virtual machines within your network borders. It provides scalable application security for dynamic workloads and protects mission-critical applications from known and unknown threats. Also the vSRX virtual firewall helps you seamlessly extend your private cloud into public cloud environments, securely moving data and workloads with ease. As a VPN gateway, the vSRX provides remote users with safe access to their workloads. As a segmentation gateway, the vSRX protects public-cloud workloads by blocking lateral threats using application policies that help maintain security and compliance.
Juniper vSRX Buyer's Guide

Download the Juniper vSRX Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Juniper vSRX Customers
Expedient Data Centers
Juniper vSRX Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Juniper vSRX pricing:
  • "After some research, I think that the cost of Juniper is more than Check Point, Palo Alto, and Fortinet."

Juniper vSRX Reviews

Oscar Bashford
Network Operations Support at EOS IT Management Solutions Ltd
MSP
Aug 5, 2020
Fast with good usability and fairly scalable

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for experimentation. I just wanted to create a site to site VPN. I was hoping that you can make the SRX like a hub, so if I had a site here and then I had a new site, I could just create another VPN from that new site to the virtual X in the cloud. I don't know if it works like that. I'm skeptical if it can. Maybe there is a roundabout with the actual Azure AWS, however, I'm not so sure about that part. That's why I'm learning about Azure, and how that works in connecting to the cloud.

• "I'm told the solution is the fastest, and, so far, I do find that to be the case."
  • "It could use more tutorials."

What other advice do I have?

Our organization is partners with Juniper. We have a business relationship with them. At work I see it a lot, however, a lot of tasks are automated at work. It's not like you have hands-on from scratch experience. In my position, I'm doing more support or some automation to build the VRX or the virtuals needed for lab equipment. At home and in the labs I am able to learn from scratch, and I'm trying to connect VPNs, etc. I am hoping to get into the cloud in the future. The version of the solution we use should be the latest. I downloaded it a couple of months ago. It should be the latest, due…
Enginet677
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jul 15, 2019
Has advanced features and enables us to have faster firewall deployments

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use it as a firewall for our customers. It's much faster to deploy a power source. If you need to deploy a firewall in the cloud of software, it's much easier and much faster than deploying the office firewall in a rush. That's our primary usage, fast deployment of firewalls for customers.

• "It's much faster to deploy a power source. If you need to deploy a firewall in the cloud of software, it's much easier and much faster than deploying the office firewall in a rush."
  • "he stability could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution and suggest you test it. It's a good product if you have a chance to work with it, if it fits right in your environment, it's really good to see what it can do. I would rate this solution at 8.5 out of 10. I would rate it as a 10 if I had the ability to create a highly available firewall and if there was more stability in the new features.
Find out what your peers are saying about Juniper, Netgate, Fortinet and others in Firewalls. Updated: January 2021.
456,719 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Stratos Margaritis
Solutions Architect at Navarino S.A.
Jul 2, 2019
Enables us to collect all of the updates in one single place and then push it over to the vessel

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the Juniper vSRX solution is protection. We use it for Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) and Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS).

• "The features we found most valuable are using the IDS and IPS during protection. The application filtering feature is great."
  • "The pricing still needs some improvement."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate this product a 10. When you've got a 10, there is nothing to improve. There's nothing to add. The pricing still needs some improvement.
reviewer1268370
Senior Network Planning Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 23, 2020
Scalable with an easy setup and good security

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall for security purposes in order to keep our organization safe.

• "The initial setup is pretty simple."
  • "Some people complain that the solution tends to have a steep learning curve. It could be because most people have basic familiarity with Cisco or other similar products and maybe have never worked closely with Juniper products."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Juniper. I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. We'd recommend the solution to other organizations. On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution an eight.
reviewer900294
Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Dec 1, 2019
Controlled traffic for site-to-site connections with flexible commit features

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to load traffic for our RH team so that they can connect to our servers on our other sites. I load source addresses to connect to the destination address with applications such as HTTP, HTTPs, and SSH to connect the servers to the RH team.

• "The architecture of the OS in Juniper is very good. It's flexibility, scalability, and the technicality is also good."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see improvements made to the GUI because it isn't very good."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Juniper because they have a good product, especially the 5800 version. This is a good product for internet service providers. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Samer Hamadeh
Senior Information Security Engineer at FNS
Jul 17, 2019
Straightforward implementation but GUI needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for network authentication, what you use while accessing the network. In general, controlling the traffic going inside the enterprise and off it.

• "The initial setup was very straightforward. There was no problem. The initial deployment took about one hour."
  • "They really need to improve the GUI."

What other advice do I have?

In Saudi Arabia, Juniper has a problem with marketing. They're less well known. A lot of companies are changing or going with Palo Alto. With the GUI, the firewall is not easy to use. It doesn't cover all the features. Juniper should enhance the GUI, and make it easier to use. Both the firewall and virtual security are hard to use. It's not easy to configure it and not friendly to users. I would advise for those thinking about using the product, to make sure they learn as much as possible, and also look to use a redundancy. I would rate this solution seven out of 10.
ITmangr67
IT Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 11, 2019
A good solution with lots of features but very bad technical support

What is our primary use case?

My company is an IAP so we use the solution for virtual security to segregate work.

• "There are a few valuable features that offer very good quality on the solution. Especially NetScreen. We used to use NetScreen for the the product line. It was a very mature solution, very robust, easy to configure, easy to manage, etc. It made it easy to do everything."
  • "We have some weird errors and some weird behavior on the solution occasionally. The device gets buggy without anyone touching it. It would work and then suddenly stop. Sometimes you need to just move the cards out and restart it again, and it will work. The solution itself, the hardware and the software, there must be some bugs that need to be dealt with."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. I would rate the solution seven out of ten.
reviewer900294
Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jul 28, 2020
The commit check and the commit confirmed commands are flexible

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for Juniper is to allow traffic for each team to reach servers on our other sites. I allow some source addresses to reach some destination addresses with some applications with HTTP, HTTPS, and SSH, to reach the service for each team.

• "Juniper is more flexible with the commit check and the commit confirmed command. The design of the forwarding and contract plan in the operating system is very important for the performance when we have very big traffic."
  • "We worked with Cisco's support and Juniper's support and there are some differences, to be honest, Cisco is more available and is more competent at addressing our cases."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Juniper an eight out of ten. In the next release, I would like to see an enhanced GUI, graphic user interface, because the graphic user interface is very bad. They should also discard some existing commands that we have to delete before the commands. Cisco is more practical. I would recommend Juniper because they have a very good product. Especially, the 5800 product is a very good product for an internet service provider.
See 3 more Juniper vSRX Reviews